[PGT] Nashville at Vancouver - Game 5

22 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I don't understand why the NHL doesn't have a rule starting in the playoffs that ALL goals get reviewed? It shouldn't be up to a coaches challenge.

I don't blame the coach at all. Sure if we get the call the goal gets waived off. But unless its OBVIOUS, the risk is not only does the goal stand, but you get yet another penalty which might mean you are down TWO goals. Don't understand why this is a hard concept for some? Just because YOU think it shouldn't count. Do you trust the people in Toronto to make that choice? I sure don't.

Seems to me the NHL 's gotta get this worked out.

Having a rule that all goals get reviewed makes a lot of sense; in the playoffs as well as the regular season. The delay of game penalty from such is obtuse. If a goal is deemed good, then that's enough of a penalty. 

The on ice refs work in conjunction with the video refs and ref headquarters in T.O. Perhaps the game after a questionable goal can just go on as usual after the on ice ref's official signal of a good goal. If at any moment after such, the off ice officials can call for a stoppage in play, but only if a call reversal is required

Still with me!

If the call is reversed for a non-goal, then the time gets turned back to when the goal happened and they continue playing from there. Note though that if a goal is reversed, then there must have been a reason why; likely goalie interference, kicking motion, high stick, or any kind of hand motion. Obviously if the goal is reversed via a goalie interference scenario, then they call a penalty. Otherwise it's just business as usual regarding the other reasons for a non-goal. (Unless the dude closed his hands on the puck and threw it in!).   

Okay.........................

If it was a good goal in the first place, then the game goes on and everyone just has to be satisfied with the on ice ref's call.

"Do you trust the people in Toronto to make that choice? I sure don't.

Unless there's concrete evidence that Bettman or any other big wigs are tampering with the off ice officiating, or favouritism for that matter, then we just have to trust the process and hope that NHL officials on and off the ice, are honourable and take their jobs seriously.

There's a few other things in the NHL rules that chap my ass. This is one of them. You wanna hear the others? Perhaps not, but I'm on a roll, man!

High sticking.

Not the one regarding a goal, but the one that penalizes a player. Why 2 minutes and then doubled if blood is drawn?!??!?!?!? That's so f*ckin' obtuse. If the league wants to dumb down high sticks, then make it 4 minutes regardless of blood or not.

Delay of game.

Another dumb penalty. Why penalize at all with a 2 minute PK. Just keep the game going by having a face off in the zone to which the perpetrator plays for. Like for an icing call. They can choose which side they face off. 

Hybrid Icing.

Hate it. Just go with automatic icing like the rest of the world! 

It's my belief that the league wanted to shorten the duration of games with some of the moves it made in the modern era. I mean, what's wrong with ties?!?!?!?!? F*ck the shoot out. Keep the 3 on 3 for the regular season; two 5 minute mini periods, switch ends after 5, and if it ends up tied? So be it!

With all this coaches challenge BS and official's video reviews, it seemingly is making a return to a three hour game. I dunno. Back to topic. I digress.................

Mika is only part of the lack of offence. He's getting his chances for sure, but he's not burying them. Really though, neither are some of the key guys either. Not consistently anyways. I mean how many has Suter buried with the amount of chances he had; Garly? Hogz? Daks?  And Petey, though having a better game last night, dude is as snake bitten as PDG in the playoffs thus far. 

I mean I love these guys and they're all giving me something to feel good about. It's not just players that are new to playoff hockey , (Some of them. Our young core mostly.) but I believe this is RT's first dance as a head coach in the playoffs, yes?

Honestly, I'm not worried. We just gotta win one game to go on to round 2. I think we can do it.

Go Canucks Go!!!!!:towel::towel::towel::towel::towel:

:towel::towel::towel::towel:

• Cheers 2

Although Canucks shot count haven’t been good enough the chances they have had were Grade A 

saros has horse shoes up his ass, they are bound to fall out 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Why answer the question, when you can deflect away from it instead? 

You didn't even ask a question

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Come again?

Stawns' whole schtick. Can't provide any kind of defense when his original talking points are destroyed or he's fronted with tough questions and screams whataboutism as a fail safe. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I want us to win this for the obvious reasons, but I’m also really curious to see how we look against a round 2 opponent. 

Right now I can’t tell if we’re stuck in a rut or if the Predators are playing a way more disciplined game than their scouting report implied.  These games are hard to watch.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, The Duke said:

I want us to win this for the obvious reasons, but I’m also really curious to see how we look against a round 2 opponent. 

Right now I can’t tell if we’re stuck in a rut or if the Predators are playing a way more disciplined game than their scouting report implied.  These games are hard to watch.

Imo, a team with some playoff experience in their lineup against one with little to none 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, The Duke said:

I say our offense is gonna come alive against the Oilers. Now can we outscore them is a different matter especially without Demko. 

The Oilers did prove they can play a stingy d game with their game 4 but I doubt they would be that disciplined for a whole series. 

• Cheers 1

Game 5 we should of won and where were these guys playing last night with no registered hits:

Boeser 

Suter

Di Guiseppe

Blueger

Hronek

Cole

Hronek needs to shoot more than passing it. 

1 hour ago, MikeyD said:

The fans should relax a bit. They're overreacting like fucking crazy right now. The kid will become good again. 

OK, so being calm and rationale.

What are you basing this on? What metric, or examples or proof do you have that this is something he will snap out of? You're not concerned that our $11m 8 yr player has completely disappeared for almost a third of the season and his first real playoffs?

Most fans are concerned that it's not just a couple bad games, but 3 months of hockey where he has shown zero progression towards being good again. So if it was something he could fix, you'd think it would have been fixed already.

If Petey wasn't signed, and he was an RFA still then fans would be calm. This recent play would significantly affect negotiations, but since his terrible play coincides with exactly when he signed an 8 year deal, there seems to be a lot to be concerned about.

4 minutes ago, The Duke said:

They were playing really well in the 1st then into the 2nd. As soon as Zadorov scored they seemed to fold into a protect the one goal lead style, stopped trying to dictate the flow and got dropped on their heads 

I'm very sad today.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Sativika said:

Seems to me the NHL 's gotta get this worked out.

Having a rule that all goals get reviewed makes a lot of sense; in the playoffs as well as the regular season. The delay of game penalty from such is obtuse. If a goal is deemed good, then that's enough of a penalty. 

The on ice refs work in conjunction with the video refs and ref headquarters in T.O. Perhaps the game after a questionable goal can just go on as usual after the on ice ref's official signal of a good goal. If at any moment after such, the off ice officials can call for a stoppage in play, but only if a call reversal is required

Still with me!

If the call is reversed for a non-goal, then the time gets turned back to when the goal happened and they continue playing from there. Note though that if a goal is reversed, then there must have been a reason why; likely goalie interference, kicking motion, high stick, or any kind of hand motion. Obviously if the goal is reversed via a goalie interference scenario, then they call a penalty. Otherwise it's just business as usual regarding the other reasons for a non-goal. (Unless the dude closed his hands on the puck and threw it in!).   

Okay.........................

If it was a good goal in the first place, then the game goes on and everyone just has to be satisfied with the on ice ref's call.

"Do you trust the people in Toronto to make that choice? I sure don't.

Unless there's concrete evidence that Bettman or any other big wigs are tampering with the off ice officiating, or favouritism for that matter, then we just have to trust the process and hope that NHL officials on and off the ice, are honourable and take their jobs seriously.

There's a few other things in the NHL rules that chap my ass. This is one of them. You wanna hear the others? Perhaps not, but I'm on a roll, man!

High sticking.

Not the one regarding a goal, but the one that penalizes a player. Why 2 minutes and then doubled if blood is drawn?!??!?!?!? That's so f*ckin' obtuse. If the league wants to dumb down high sticks, then make it 4 minutes regardless of blood or not.

Delay of game.

Another dumb penalty. Why penalize at all with a 2 minute PK. Just keep the game going by having a face off in the zone to which the perpetrator plays for. Like for an icing call. They can choose which side they face off. 

Hybrid Icing.

Hate it. Just go with automatic icing like the rest of the world! 

It's my belief that the league wanted to shorten the duration of games with some of the moves it made in the modern era. I mean, what's wrong with ties?!?!?!?!? F*ck the shoot out. Keep the 3 on 3 for the regular season; two 5 minute mini periods, switch ends after 5, and if it ends up tied? So be it!

With all this coaches challenge BS and official's video reviews, it seemingly is making a return to a three hour game. I dunno. Back to topic. I digress.................

Mika is only part of the lack of offence. He's getting his chances for sure, but he's not burying them. Really though, neither are some of the key guys either. Not consistently anyways. I mean how many has Suter buried with the amount of chances he had; Garly? Hogz? Daks?  And Petey, though having a better game last night, dude is as snake bitten as PDG in the playoffs thus far. 

I mean I love these guys and they're all giving me something to feel good about. It's not just players that are new to playoff hockey , (Some of them. Our young core mostly.) but I believe this is RT's first dance as a head coach in the playoffs, yes?

Honestly, I'm not worried. We just gotta win one game to go on to round 2. I think we can do it.

Go Canucks Go!!!!!:towel::towel::towel::towel::towel:

:towel::towel::towel::towel:

If play goes on and a few seconds later another goal is scored is that a "legal goal" or is it disallowed?   As for the blood that's silly was in 1994 too when it was an automatic ejection and we lost Bure when they simply couldn't contain him that game (NYR), guys were biting their lips and cheeks and tongues on purpose. 

26 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

PDGs been doing good on the PK, after the first game I wanted Podz in but can understand why they are sticking with PDG.

Agreed.  PDG hasn't been as bad as people make it seem.  Up until last night, he was 3rd on the team in hits behind Zadorov and Joshua.  He plays effectively on the PK.  He's 1 of 9 Canucks with a positive +/- rating.  He even has an assist in the series.

If anything, I'd like to see Podz in for Mikheyev.  Have Hoglander and Podkolzin with Petey.  They had some good chemistry when put together in the past.  The size and strength of Podz could open up space.

• Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, luckylager said:

They were playing really well in the 1st then into the 2nd. As soon as Zadorov scored they seemed to fold into a protect the one goal lead style, stopped trying to dictate the flow and got dropped on their heads 

I'm very sad today.

They needed a bigger lead to sit on.

Reffing sucked last game but who cares, the PP was trash. Killed any momentum we had. I dunno wtf the coaching staff is doing. Throw big Z net front and watch how much better the pp is. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Why does he need protection?  I don't see physical play or intimidation as affecting his play at all.

I was responding to 24K who said he needed protection and Lekki might be the answer. Lekki might be a great add to our team but doesn’t fit the description of a big, tough winger, that’s all.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Gurn said:

They needed a bigger lead to sit on.

Or to continue pushing. The Joshua penalty was deflating for sure, but they didnt come out guns blazing at 1-1, looked rattled.. scared even.

Edited by luckylager
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 24K said:

That one was called caused Forsberg got an Oscar for that performance. 

Maybe we should start acting as well caused that is the only thing that looks to work to get the refs attention. 

If we start acting I guarantee we get a minor for embellishment.

4 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

I was responding to 24K who said he needed protection and Lekki might be the answer. Lekki might be a great add to our team but doesn’t fit the description of a big, tough winger, that’s all.

Gotcha, fair enough

Put the lotto line back together, and maybe get ep40 going again, can't hurt he ain't doing anything on "his" line. Petey's play reflects the fact he is intimidated out there. No other way to say it he looks scared.

I don't buy the Petey needs a tough winger narrative. He just needs a bonafide threat on his line. This is why the lotto line works- D can't cheat and team up on Petey, or Miller, or Boeser. Especially if Hughes is out there.

Hog and especially Mike aren't threats, opponents know this and double - triple up on Petey because they really don't care if Mike somehow gets a puck.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, 24K said:

This team always have issues with teams that play stingy defense. It is the same thing with LA. Issue with that is we are not a fast team to play fast enough to break that down. 

We are in our DNA a east west team but you really need a quick north south game to break down these kind of teams and we severely lack that kind of players. 

Yes, nicely said

That's my biggest take away too. We're simply not fast enough to create any different types of scoring chances so we just don't get any. We're hoping for a lucky bounce here and there based off hustle and systems.

26 minutes ago, Grinch said:

I feel more confident with silvos in net, hope he gets the next start 

He looked absolutely massive in net last night.

The kid is skinny, but he's 6'4 with the huge chesty. 

Considering there's not a lot separating a journeyman backup with experience and a team's top goaltending prospect who's been playing pro hockey for a few years already... I'd give the crease to the guy who's got more room to develop. This experience could be huge for Arty's career going forward, while DeSmith is what he is.

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, NucksNation said:

Reffing sucked last game but who cares, the PP was trash. Killed any momentum we had. I dunno wtf the coaching staff is doing. Throw big Z net front and watch how much better the pp is. 

Some nights you wish you could just decline the penalty. The PP sapped all the energy out of the second period after some fantastic penalty killing. 

• Cheers 2