[Second Round] Vancouver Canucks (P1) vs. Edmonton Oilers (P2)

Who will win the series?  

330 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Canucks in 7
    • Canucks in 6
    • Canucks in 5
    • Canucks in 4
    • Oilers in 4
    • Oilers in 5
    • Oilers in 6
    • Oilers in 7

24 minutes ago, Captkirk888 said:

Really? 46-18-6 as their coach is not someone out of their depth. Fear is a great motivator for all of us, but I don’t think that is the case here. Simply changed a few things? Is that what we did too?

I think you’re wrong. BUT don’t get me wrong, I am and always will be a Canuck. I hate the Oilers and always have.

bruce had a good record after taking over the canucks but he is ostensibly not a very good coach, either, and was completely out of his depth. 

2 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

A 7 game series is all about extended game time and adjustments.  It's about watching endless amount of video on your opponent's specific set plays (eg. McDavid off-screen behind the net or Hughes scissor route on left point) and doing the best you can to counter it.  Nashville did an admirable job to neutralize our high-octane offense and Vancouver did an admirable job finding other ways to win.  Similarly, Edmonton provided a textbook example for any future team seeking to bust open a 1-3-1 trap.  It's one thing to face an opponent a few times a year versus facing them over and over again.

That final Oilers game will help the Canucks coaches find weaknesses much better than those October games.  

A 7 game series definitely favours Vancouver. Edmonton will be the team that needs to make the adjustments. As long as the power plays are even Vancouver is a much better team 5v5. 

McDavid needs space in order to operate. He won’t get any with Zadorov and Cole in his face unless he’s on the power play. Hughes will have lots of space because he will be coming from the backend. He will have more time to set up the play. The Oilers don’t have a puck mover on the back end. 

Without a power play advantage the Oilers really have no chance in this series unless Silovs shits the bed. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, theochar said:

Styles make fights I think this series will be easier than the Preds. Oilers cant and wont scrap and commit to defense like Nashville. League does not give a flying fuck which Canadian team gets through, Oilers have the slight edge in reffing due to mcjesus but it could balance out because people mistakenly feel that Edmonton are a better than us and could be a threat to win it all. Either way Canucks in 5, Skinner is a fuckn seive and their d sucks ass. They try any goon tactics we have some bad mf to sort it out. Weve got more than one way to play

Want to know who is almost as good as McDavid at drawing penalties?  Elias Pettersson.  This is his chance to bounce back.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, stawns said:

They can't get into a run and gun matchup with the Oilers, imo.  They need to be on the right side of the puck possession numbers and keep the Oilers in their end as much as they can. If the games open up, the Canucks are in trouble I think.

They got here with stingy defense and good puck possession.........they need to double down on that

Where exactly have the Canucks been a run and gun team this year?  That’s literally the opposite of how they’ve played all year. 

BB isn’t our coach any longer. We haven’t played like that in almost 2 years. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Miss Korea said:

Want to know who is almost as good as McDavid at drawing penalties?  Elias Pettersson.  This is his chance to bounce back.

Petey looked the quickest he’s been in a long while this last game. Maybe whatever’s been ailing him is healing up? This could very well be a huge series for him. In the five games it takes us to send McWhiner to the golf course Petey gets 12 points and dominates the Baby Whiner. 

• ThereItIs 1

13 minutes ago, stawns said:

Three of those games were at the start of the year where the oilers team defence was non existent.  He's no saros, I agree, but both he and the team are vastly improved 

We beat them in April

I think you're trying to convince us but it won't happen. You can believe in the Oilers....we tend to believe in our team.

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

A 7 game series definitely favours Vancouver. Edmonton will be the team that needs to make the adjustments. As long as the power plays are even Vancouver is a much better team 5v5. 

McDavid needs space in order to operate. He won’t get any with Zadorov and Cole in his face unless he’s on the power play. Hughes will have lots of space because he will be coming from the backend. He will have more time to set up the play. The Oilers don’t have a puck mover on the back end. 

Without a power play advantage the Oilers really have no chance in this series unless Silovs shits the bed. 

But I've already established here (despite repeated attempts by some to suggest we play man-on-man) that McDavid likes to cycle OFF the puck behind the net.  That means our defenders will have to switch on him and try not to commit interference penalties.  I actually think the best defender who can cover #97 in that situation is Quinn Hughes - an equally agile player with excellent stick positioning.

Indeed, the most basic of gameplans for Vancouver is to STAY OUT OF THE FUCKING BOX

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Where exactly have the Canucks been a run and gun team this year?  That’s literally the opposite of how they’ve played all year. 

BB isn’t our coach any longer. We haven’t played like that in almost 2 years. 

The last team that attempted to run and gun the Oilers in the playoffs was... Darryl Sutter's Flames.  I don't think anyone anticipated that kind of undisciplined style of play from a Sutter team, especially since they played much tighter all season long.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

But I've already established here (despite repeated attempts by some to suggest we play man-on-man) that McDavid likes to cycle OFF the puck behind the net.  That means our defenders will have to switch on him and try not to commit interference penalties.  I actually think the best defender who can cover #97 in that situation is Quinn Hughes - an equally agile player with excellent stick positioning.

Indeed, the most basic of gameplans for Vancouver is to STAY OUT OF THE FUCKING BOX

I don’t think we will have Hughes on McDavid. My guess is they will have the Lindholm line out along with Zadorov and Cole against McDavid’s line. 

Miller will then be put against Draisaitl and Hughes and Hronek will be out against the Draisaitl line. Draisaitl is horrible defensively so I can see Hughes having a field day in this series. 

This frees up Petey to play against their 3rd line. IMO Petey is going to have a monster series. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • chaos 1

6 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

We beat them in April

I think you're trying to convince us but it won't happen. You can believe in the Oilers....we tend to believe in our team.

Stop trying to label various folks here as Oilers homers.  Just because we acknowledge an opponent's ability to play good hockey doesn't make us a fucking fan of that team.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

NOBODY IN THE NHL PLAYS MAN DEFENSE ANYMORE

Coaches match up lines, though, which is what I would assume he’s referring to.  

Miller, Petey, Lindholm and Bleuger are all pretty darn good two way C’s.  It’s an “advantage” of sorts, though I’m not sure how effective we’ll be at containing McDavid and Draisaitl if they get sustained o zone time. As others have said, the key will be sustaining pressure of our own to limit their chances. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Stop trying to label various folks here as Oilers homers.  Just because we acknowledge an opponent's ability to play good hockey doesn't make us a fucking fan of that team.

I was responding to someone (not you) and you use words I didn't to try to make more out of it.

Ignoring what this team has done against that opponent was being addressed. Hence "we beat them in April".

And no, I don't need to "stop". But you probably do.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Coaches match up lines, though, which is what I would assume he’s referring to.  

Miller, Petey, Lindholm and Bleuger are all pretty darn good two way C’s.  It’s an “advantage” of sorts, though I’m not sure how effective we’ll be at containing McDavid and Draisaitl if they get sustained o zone time. As others have said, the key will be sustaining pressure of our own to limit their chances. 

Yes that's what I meant. Line matching as best we can. Not sure why MK needed to yell at the screen. Its not even noon yet lol

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I don’t think we will have Hughes on McDavid. My guess is they will have the Lindholm line out along with Zadorov and Cole against McDavid’s line. 

Miller will then be put against Draisaitl and Hughes and Hronek will be out against the Draisaitl line. Draisaitl is horrible defensively so I can see Hughes having a field day in this series. 

This frees up Petey to play against their 3rd line. IMO Petey is going to

have a monster series. 

In the same way one Oiler cannot stay on Quinn Hughes, one Canuck cannot contain Connor McDavid.  If #97 is cycling behind the net WITHOUT the puck, I would trust Hughes over anyone else to stay on him without getting an interference call.  As with any matchup, you can bet your ass McDavid will come on everytime we ice it.

Their bottom six certainly doesn't strike much fear into opponents' hearts, but they are very tight defensively.  Janmark, Foegele, McLeod, and Brown are all shutdown forwards who will try to bully #40.  The key for him... is to draw the penalty.  I cannot emphasize that more - he needs to carry the puck and force defenders to cheat.

3 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

I was responding to someone and you use words I didn't to try to make more out of it.

Ignoring what this team has done against that opponent was being addressed. Hence "we beat them in April".

And no, I don't need to "stop".

"You can believe in the Oilers" is what you said to that poster.  We all know what you're trying to say here.  Smugness and arrogance, all just because some fans here actually like watching hockey and not just the Canucks.

4 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

"You can believe in the Oilers" is what you said to that poster.  We all know what you're trying to say here.  Smugness and arrogance, all just because some fans here actually like watching hockey and not just the Canucks.

Yes, and you said "homer".

You don't know what I'm trying to say so don't bother. Stop now.

This is a Canucks site and I feel just fine about how I'm navigating it. You do you.

And tell me if there's a bit of smugness, arrogance in a reference to your coaching knowledge. Or statements like "A good chunk of fans here do not realize".

Of course there is.

Get back on topic...which is not how I present myself here. That's my deal.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Grinch said:

This is series where the calls shouldn’t be biased because bettman can not make both teams lose 

If they really wanted the finals to be a showcase, they are more likely to want their superstar poster boy to progress... especially since Matthews is gone. 
So if, and I don't think there is any reason for them to 'choose' a winner, I think it would favour Oilers. 

Miller < McDavid

Pettersson < Draisaitl

Boeser = Hyman

Lindholm = Henrique

Garland < Nugent-Hopkins

Joshua = Kane

Hughes > Bouchard

Hronek > Ekholm

Zadorov > Nurse

Soucy > Ceci

Demko-Silovs-DeSmith > Skinner

Tocchet > Knoblauch

They say D wins championships (and coaching), so here's hoping.

1 minute ago, Miss Korea said:

44E8ECEF-CAA6-4195-B064-AB551942F63F.png.0a420b7cdba7f5384c8e268903fc061c.png

1 hour ago, Joe King said:

The adapting will be don't dare touch an oiler while the oilers run over us.

F that.... then put a nobody with size to take out McD, and get a major + suspension. 
If the cards aren't dealt fairly, you make your own luck. 

• Cheers 1