Leafs Fire Sheldon Keefe

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/toronto-maple-leafs-fire-head-coach-sheldon-keefe/

The Toronto Maple Leafs have fired head coach Sheldon Keefe in the aftermath of the team’s playoff elimination at the hands of the Boston Bruins, the team announced Thursday.

A search for a new head coach will begin immediately and the team did not announce any further changes to the staff.

The Leafs’ seven-game loss to the Bruins in the first round was the final straw for Keefe, who led the team to one of the best regular-season records in the league during his time but could not achieve much playoff success.

“Today’s decision was difficult. Sheldon is an excellent coach and a great man; however, we
determined a new voice is needed to help the team push through to reach our ultimate goal," general manager Brad Treliving said in a statement. "We thank Sheldon for his hard work and dedication to the organization over the last nine years, and wish him and his family all the very best.”

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

Soon Marner shall be a penguin.

He definitely seems to be the consensus guy to move....but I bet they wish they could move Tavares instead....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

IMO, the guy that really should walk the plank is Shanny....

....and whoever else it was that thought it was a good idea to assemble such a top heavy lineup....

He's like tephlon don isn't he?

15 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

....and whoever else it was that thought it was a good idea to assemble such a top heavy lineup....

And scouting and strategists… when that lineup could only go 5% on the powers play in playoffs… I guess you could say the same for the Canucks. 

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

MLSE to Shanahan…

image.gif.be0167734119ea4e7ba3e20bed062b9e.gif

Edited by RWJC
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

He definitely seems to be the consensus guy to move....but I bet they wish they could move Tavares instead....

He'll be gone too once his contract is done. 

Hate to say it, but with a new coach (presumably a competent one), Marner out, and Tavares out, and IF they use that money to upgrade defence and goaltending, the Leafs are gonna be a REAL Cup contender in the next little while. 

But as @RupertKBD mentioned, the issue is with the upper management group.  They simply cheap out on the defensive aspects of the game.

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, HKSR said:

He'll be gone too once his contract is done. 

Hate to say it, but with a new coach (presumably a competent one), Marner out, and Tavares out, and IF they use that money to upgrade defence and goaltending, the Leafs are gonna be a REAL Cup contender in the next little while. 

But as @RupertKBD mentioned, the issue is with the upper management group.  They simply cheap out on the defensive aspects of the game.

They bring in Berube and Tree caters to what he wants for a revamped roster and the Laffs’ future could be very bright.

personally, as much as I detest the Laffs, Coil and Flames, it’s still imperative to me that the CDN hockey markets strengthen their presence within the upper quality clubs. It’s good for parity and stronger CDN hockey teams potentially counter the stigma of players leaving for the US and the tax/geographic advantages. 

Would be happy to have a CDN team represented deep in the playoffs more often than not. Maybe its just stupid patriotism on my part, but generally I lose a fair bit of interest once the CDN teams bow out of the playoffs

Edited by RWJC
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

They bring in Berube and Tree caters to what he wants for a revamped roster and the Laffs’ future could be very bright 

Something like Marner to SEA for Larsson and Bjorkstrand would be a good start.

They need a defensive anchor like Larsson to settle down their D core.  No idea how they acquire a top tier goalie though.

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Gurn said:

So much easier to fire a coach, than multiple players on a team, or a Gm 

Steve Dangle is going to want a lot more then just that. thats step 1.

• Cheers 2

When he said "Boston just waited for us to shoot ourselves in the foot."

That sounded like a coach who was trying to get the team to listen, but they won't.

This is a real unpopular take. But I think Matthews is a not a team guy. Look how much better the Leafs played when he was out of the lineup.

Matthews might be super talented. But his ego gets in the way. He seems to be great in the regular season. But he won't commit to being an all around player.

• Cheers 3
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

That sounded like a coach who was trying to get the team to listen, but they won't.

This is a real unpopular take. But I think Matthews is a not a team guy. Look how much better the Leafs played when he was out of the lineup.

Matthews might be super talented. But his ego gets in the way. He seems to be great in the regular season. But he won't commit to being an all around player.

He might be the JT Miller type. Might need to get traded to a new org to get his stuff together lol. He's been treated like the golden boy in TOR. That's nice and all but you have to burn to win. He clearly doesnt. If he did he would be more vocal about what the team needs to management. He's a passenger 100% trusting the org. remove shanny maybe he gets the courage to speak up.

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Trade Mathews to Utah 

JJ Moser 1st 2024 Logan Cooley 

• Vintage 1