Petey do we really need him?

47 minutes ago, Beni said:

They need to get rid of Mik. And get Petey a better winger

Yes, Mikheyev is grossly overpaid for what he contributes... just not getting it done.

Worth a potential salary dump.  $5 mil can better be spent on someone else.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, HarbularyBattery said:

i think petey had a monster offseason before last year. he looked very strong on his skates, had added bulk, and just dominated.

wonder if he took it a bit easier this past summer thinking he had it in the bag. 

I remember seeing a photo of him working out this past offseason, and he was working his upper body.

Seeing how unsteady he has been keeping upright, I wonder if he skipped his leg days?  :hurhur:

Edited by 6of1_halfdozenofother
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, -Buzzsaw- said:

I could say the same about your comment.... which was complete horsepucky.

If you have a problem with it, you can always report it.  However, I think my track record speaks for itself and what I posted was hardly trolling. 

Not sure why you're looking for a fight. 

I think this should be serious discussion about whether or not Allvin made the right call in offering Petey such a large contract before seeing how he does in the postseason. Everyone is speculating that Petey's injured, yet Tocchet says Petey needs to get going, which to me says that Petey is not playing injured or else Tocc would know and wouldn't say such a comment. Maybe Petey is hiding an injury from the coaches and training staff? Regardless, he's invisible when it matters most. He now has a massive contract on the horizon and we are seeing, yet again, just how mentally and physically fragile he is. With how many contracts we have coming up, it's really too bad that we didn't wait to see who performed this postseason and who didn't. Thankfully, we haven't given Hronek an anchor contract. 

Now, having said this, if Petey can give his balls a tug and turn things around, then LFG. But one thing is certain: we need him to gtf going asap, because if we get knocked out and he's the topic of conversation all summer and into next season, will he be able to suck it up at some point and turn into the player we need to win a cup? 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

If the Canucks coaching staff don't want Pettersson on the team, then management should trade him.

But don't put him on the 3rd line with 4th line wingers and expect him to produce.

There was a lot of interest around the league prior to the contract signing... lots of teams willing to trade for him.

Now that the finger pointing has started his value will have gone down considerably... they may need to retain salary... or take garbage in trade.

1 hour ago, -Buzzsaw- said:

If the Canucks coaching staff don't want Pettersson on the team, then management should trade him.

But don't put him on the 3rd line with 4th line wingers and expect him to produce.

There was a lot of interest around the league prior to the contract signing... lots of teams willing to trade for him.

Now that the finger pointing has started his value will have gone down considerably... they may need to retain salary... or take garbage in trade.

He's not getting traded.  They're gonna find him a true top 6 guy to play with.  Might be Lindholm as the centre and Petey on the wing (which would be my preference).  Petey played his entire career as a winger until he got here and we forced him into the role because we lacked a true 1C. 

• Cheers 1

I still believe that Petey can be one of those franchise level NHL players who can be a complete difference-maker.  Look back to the bubble and how he played back then, and that was against more physical teams too. 

I think he struggles from 2 issues. Firstly he isn't really a game breaker on his own, which keeps him out of the very top tier of NHL players, he can't take over a game like Mackinnon or McDavid and score highlight real goals on his own ( with the odd exception ). He needs good linemates, which he currently doesn't have.  This is probably the biggest weakness in the entire team right now. Tho that being said I do feel if he was playing at the apex of his ability he would be on the lotto line or have been given some better wingers from the other two top lines.  Which brings me on to struggle #2. 

Consistency. He seems to have these long periods where he can't perform. It usually comes out he is injured or something. I've also noticed that he is the poster boy for our poor play on these eastern road trip when the team looks tired and sluggish - its usually his line that is more noticeably not at the races.

The other interesting coincidence is that the last time he looked like this, and was supposedly injured was the 21/22 season where he regressed and put up only 68 points. The coincidence is, that was right after he signed his bridge deal to 7.35M. He did say he didn't wanna sign a new deal till after this season, maybe he has motivational issues once there is no longer an immediate financial reward of a contract - many do.  I dunno, he's just not been himself since around the time that deal was signed and he isn't showing any signs of improving, and I'm not buying the injury excuse as surely he would have been 'managed' towards the end of the season if that was the case.  

I felt he was one of those super driven winners when he first joined the club after winning everything in the SHL. The concern for me now is:  has the years of coasting with people like Bo and Louis etc rubbed off on him - gonna be a pricey mistake if so. I still believe 👽

• Upvote 1

Petey is still young, and grew up playing in Sweden which is a more open less hard hitting than NHL/North American hockey.    A lot of what we are seeing in Petey right now we saw in the Sedins when they were this age and younger.     

Trading him to free up cap space, or dumping him period is a very short sighted look based on 10 playoff games.    Looking at the regular season stats? Who would be comparable? Who will have the least PIM? Best S%? Points? Goals? Assists? Has a comparable face off %? That is a left handed Centre?  

My arm chair coaching opinion:

• He needs to bulk up.   He is 6’ 2” but only 176 lbs.   Perspectively JT Miller is 6’ 1” and 218lbs.  Add 40-45 lbs (of Muscle) 
  • mental game - he is clearly in his head and overthinking and squeezing the stick
  • to quote Bieska “SHOT, SHOT SHOT, SHOT, SHOTS” shoot more.  His 16% shot % is great but he’s 30th in the league in shots.  Shoot more score more. 
  • SHOW THE F UP READY TO PLAY.

He looks and sounds completely defeated 

Hate his response to Farhan’s question about why he’s been struggling these past few months. Sounds pissed, defiant, and takes no accountability. Disappointing body language. You can make mistakes and go through slumps, but how you conduct yourself during those moments says a lot about your character. I don’t like this from Petey. Needs to mature and do better 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

4 hours ago, hockeyville88 said:

He looks and sounds completely defeated 

Hate his response to Farhan’s question about why he’s been struggling these past few months. Sounds pissed, defiant, and takes no accountability. Disappointing body language. You can make mistakes and go through slumps, but how you conduct yourself during those moments says a lot about your character. I don’t like this from Petey. Needs to mature and do better 

He's sick with something... did you not hear him reply to the person who asked if he was ill?

Probably drowsy with antihistamines too, which makes him a little zombie like.

Posted (edited)

Reserving judgement until the off-season and we learn if there were contributing factors like an injury. Even if not, I think he is likely a year or two from his full potential anyway. He'll need better line mates in order to be a consistent game changer.

Edited by CanuckDownUnder
typo
  • Upvote 1

On 5/9/2024 at 2:53 PM, Canuck You said:

These threads never end up well....For the OP.

And I think we're all (including the OP) hoping that this is the case, because an average EP right now would have had us in the conference finals. 

There's still hope until you see an interview like this below.  He just looks deflated and pissy with the media (5:06).  The media were tough on him and we as fans are tough on him, but I have some thoughts:

1. I think the right approach for him is to share the anger and frustration with fans and media.  Take it on the chin, tell them you're working with the coaching staff to get out of the funk but you expect to figure it out soon.  The short answers and looking uninterested sends the wrong message.

2.  NEVER throw your teammates under the bus, even if they deserve it.  (1:05)

3.  You can be miffed with the media, but you have to recognize that when you sign the contract that big, that comes with big responsibility.  Face the music and be better.  I worry the guy will feel this weight on hindsight and not become the player he could become.  There's something to be said about taking less, giving the team a chance to build around you better, and knowing you have more margin for error given the price point.  Fans give you more room and respect when they know you aren't paid to be perfect out there and you didn't take the team for the most you could get.  At some point more money won't change a thing other than pressure and possibly mental health battles. Yes.....getting paid more can take a person down a worse path.

I now look to RT to find ways to get EP going and get him his mojo back. Because it doesn't look like EP has this on his own (which is fine).

What a load of daft questions...

Do you feel bad that you don't play as well as we know you can?

Did you sleep well after last nights defeat?

Would it be better with better line mates?

etc. etc. etc.

Are these clowns actually getting paid to ask that stupid questions?

He hates interviews, and struggles to deal with, whatever he is going through... Who wouldn't if you are normally top of the pops...

He'll brake out eventually...

Except for Quinn Hughes, when was the last time, we had a 25 year old playing as well as Petey does (normally does)?

7 hours ago, Strawbone said:

I did not like that interview. Having gone through a bout of pretty bad depression myself, that's what it feels like I'm watching with him right now. I'm not trying to make a diagnosis or spread rumors, but he does not look or sound like a guy that's going to turn this around quickly. I'm sure he's working as hard as he can, but if he is indeed going through some mental health issues, it doesn't matter how hard you try, everything is more difficult, and you simply can't perform at 100% no matter how hard you try.

Let's hope this is just a temporary funk and a good game or a bit of puck luck turns things around. I thought when he scored the other night that it would get him going, but it doesn't seem to have. Maybe a sports psychologist would be good for him in the off-season, because we need him to be a difference maker for the money he'll be making over the next 8 years.

I was also surprised he said "yes" when asked if playing with better linemates would help him out. I mean, we all know it's true, he does deserve some wingers that can put the puck in the net more than once every few months, but hockey players don't generally say that out loud.

Yeah mentioned that i another thread...

Hope the Canucks have a sports psychologist to help him, if its an issue between the ears...

As for saying yes, don't think he meant to throw anybody under the bus, but not the right answer... in saying that, if he says no, then its because he is useless... We all know that is not the case. 

I think he feels cornered and in general hates to do interviews...

Not everyone does good interviews... 

The Questions were just disrespectful, let the kid figure it out, obviously he's not happy with his game and he made some good steps last game, atleast wait until the end of the season to ask these questions, now he's going to be even more in his own head, the media might have just screwed our team mentality 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, -Buzzsaw- said:

Media is already hounding him, we might have the worst media in the NHL, worst of any market i've been in by far, when there is something to pick apart, real or imagined.   It's all bad bad bad bad bad negative negative negative negative obvious obvious obvious, and for a long time tinfoil hat  stuff from some big names.   No wonder the fanbase gets wound up.   

That  can, and will give the perception that a rift is there or coming.    Tochetts supposedly come in and created a safe place within the dressing room to shut off the noise.   Miller and Brock both recently said it was tough when their names kept coming up on the trade block, certainly don't think that's a great motivator.  

The finger pointing?   Don't see that happening, see the local media working as hard as they can to fuck this up, for him and the team like usual: 

"Petey, what do you think you need to do to get out of your funk mentally, and what have you tried so far"  "Petey why do you think it is that and what do you think you need to do to produce like you used too"  "Petey do you like your linemate's and do you think (Tochett)  is giving you one's goof enough"   " Petey why do you think it is that you have stunk the past 30 games of the regular seasons and the playoffs?"   paraphrased.  

As for if we did trade him, lol, he's not going to get us garbage back,  we won't be retaining salary that's preposterous.    Ilya Mikheyev hasn't scored in 30 games.    Might as well make him a bad fourth liner because that's bad production from a 4th liner.    Or is that Petey's fault?    How many times, has be been set up by EP, in the slot, and fired the puck right into the goalies logo, no little fake, no top corner, no five hole or deke - it's like he's frozen and is just trying to get a rebound that never comes with those muffins.  

It's not all on him either, the best EP could bank them off Lafferty, Mikheyev or whomever.     

Meanwhile, Aho who plays a similar style game, is kicking ass,  with Svecknikov and Guentzal.    I bet, they'd consider a trade if they could straight up for EP if they can't beat NYR to help them push over the top.    Would that be so terrible? 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

Think that we will see Lekkermaki get a game with EP.   Tochett said they are going to try and get some wingers for EP ... that right there says two things, he's not going to risk messing with most productive line so far,  Millers line,  and that he's willing to mix it up.    EP needs at least one skilled guy, or finisher, and one forechecker.     It's truly unfortunate Hogs has struggled, some of his 24 goals, were simply sick skilled plays.    

This is an Allvin problem too.   They tried to add another top six winger (Geuntzal),  but the cost (Hogs?, Podz?) was too high. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, CaknucklePuck said:

The Questions were just disrespectful, let the kid figure it out, obviously he's not happy with his game and he made some good steps last game, atleast wait until the end of the season to ask these questions, now he's going to be even more in his own head, the media might have just screwed our team mentality 

If we are talking about the same interview, it was borderline abhorrent, and a prime example of how quickly our media is to jump on players backs and pound them into the ground.    The Sedins suffered through this for years, and that "Sister" theme, stuck around well past the time they'd figured out their game and become the stars and for awhile, superstars, that they were all along.   

This is EPs second crack at the post season, and first one with fans.    NSH and EDM also are a lot closer to Vegas than St. Louis or MIN, in their hard (and for EDM, dirty) style of play.    Vegas shut down the entire team, with the exception of Motte and Myers, Demko.    Even Miller.    Toffoli was invisible, and a certain groupie portion of the fanbase still fawns over him like he was the missing link (how did that go for WNP?).    Toffoli would have been better than what he's currently got though.    At least he can sneak, and shoot the puck.  

In the end EP can only control what he can.    Would it be worth putting him with Joshua and Garland instead?   Maybe.    That's about the only thing I can think of.    Lindholm could create  a shutdown line with Mikheyev and whomever.    Either that or roll the dice with Lekkermaki, that's pretty bold.  

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
On 5/10/2024 at 3:56 PM, HarbularyBattery said:

i think petey had a monster offseason before last year. he looked very strong on his skates, had added bulk, and just dominated.

wonder if he took it a bit easier this past summer thinking he had it in the bag. 

i think this next season we see the most beast petey we've seen yet

the biggest things?

1. if he can add 10-15lbs, it would make a world of difference

2. if he can add a tiny bit of acceleration. hes already fast, but just a bit more. 

both those things will help him generate all the space he needs. 

that, and we need to put another offensive threat on his line so he doesnt get swarmed. nobodys afraid of mikheyev.

if we can bring back toffoli and put him on peteys wing, thats a line i think that opponents would have to respect the dual threat

Tanev & Toffoli were departures that this team has yet to recover from. The increased synergy & high level play-off experience lost with them…could have fortified players like Huggy & EP in ways too numerous to measure. Tofolli if nothing else, is still a very gritty player & finisher, who sees the game & plays develop at high speed - much like Boeser & Miller do now. 

What if….? 

Edited by viking mama

Posted (edited)

We need EP yes!

EP is clearly frustrated with RT’s choice of  linemates for him, & too internally-motivated to dog them or throw any of them them under the bus. He tries to will their production… without the “words”.

That’s his next level…to become more like Miller is in that way,..which his personality & over-all genetic make-up is not as pre-disposed or ready to mirror.

Edited by viking mama

On 5/10/2024 at 5:07 AM, Jester13 said:

Petey and Hronek to Ottawa for Brady and Zub 🫣

Clutch, is that you?

This is intriguing and I do think that Ottawa wouldn't even consider it (Zub and Tkachuk are on team-friendly contracts). Ottawa does need another center and this would tick a box for them. Bringing Brady in to play with one of his closest friends does seem like a good move. I could be on board with that. However, if the Canucks do something magical this June and July then I would be more inclined to keep this group intact. 

• Cheers 1