Do you back this ownership group? (Aquillinis)

I have a hard time rooting for this ownership to win anything. They cut corners, ignore fans, treat people badly based on what's been reported in the media. I have a hard time seeing this plan of retooling be successful in the long run. Problem is, they don't have the assets to add to the current group. I still think a full rebuild will ultimately be the way to go. I just think they are trying so hard to avoid that but we all know so far it hasn't worked. How can they really add a few more big name players without assets? Anyways, I just have a hard time getting behind this ownership group with the way they do business in and out of hockey. Maybe people don't care. Sadly, I have had to resort to rooting for the players and coaches. Ignoring ownership entirely. 

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Well they do own our team, JB messed up this team going in too early with big names that were big burdens. Not a fan of big names on retirement contracts, rather find good complimentary fits to build a coherent team (once you have a core)

I won't back ownership everytime they decide to enter another cash grabbing jersey(what is at it now)?, Orca,Stick,Skate reverse retro still?

I cheer for the team independent of ownership. 
I think you are correct ownership has set the wrong path for this team since 2011.  We should have started a rebuild the year Torts came in (and not hired him). We have also should have started one when the Sedin’s retired and we should have done a more aggressive retool 2 years ago when the new management was hired or again last year when we were out of playoff contention 7 games into the season. 
Now it is too late. We have made our bed and the future best player in franchise history has payed down a marker, get better now or I am out. Best we can do now is cobble together a playoff team through UFAs, castoffs and moving future assets. 
Our plan moving forward is to ride an o]fragile goalie to the promised land. 
Even if EP bails we probably won’t go into a rebuild given how ownership works, he will get traded for win now pieces. 

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

8 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I cheer for the team independent of ownership. 
I think you are correct ownership has set the wrong path for this team since 2011.  We should have started a rebuild the year Torts came in (and not hired him). We have also should have started one when the Sedin’s retired and we should have done a more aggressive retool 2 years ago when the new management was hired or again last year when we were out of playoff contention 7 games into the season. 
Now it is too late. We have made our bed and the future best player in franchise history has payed down a marker, get better now or I am out. Best we can do now is cobble together a playoff team through UFAs, castoffs and moving future assets. 
Our plan moving forward is to ride an o]fragile goalie to the promised land. 
Even if EP bails we probably won’t go into a rebuild given how ownership works, he will get traded for win now pieces. 

Yes it's crazy how hard they try to avoid a rebuild when in reality they would have been a contender by now. Asinine thinking. 

I still cheer on this team even though my gut says ownerships retool to Bennings retool won’t be enough to convince Petey to stay and we will have to trade him. As @DrJockitch is calling it, ownership will probably do a Calgary move and trade for veterans rather then futures.

Draft picks/prospects don’t sell tickets/merch in FA’s eyes so we settle for a shorter ceiling for this teams overall potential and organizational depth. Which has been a problem since those deep Gillis teams. That impatience to refusing a rebuild is costing this franchise to be stuck in the “MID” middle for the last decade. Don’t believe me, the truth is out there, and Petey leaving will be indicative of that this plan/vision is severely flawed. 

5 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

I still cheer on this team even though my gut says ownerships retool to Bennings retool won’t be enough to convince Petey to stay and we will have to trade him. As @DrJockitch is calling it, ownership will probably do a Calgary move and trade for veterans rather then futures.

Draft picks/prospects don’t sell tickets/merch in FA’s eyes so we settle for a shorter ceiling for this teams overall potential and organizational depth. Which has been a problem since those deep Gillis teams. That impatience to refusing a rebuild is costing this franchise to be stuck in the “MID” middle for the last decade. Don’t believe me, the truth is out there, and Petey leaving will be indicative of that this plan/vision is severely flawed. 

I thought we have been 'bot' bottom for the last decade?

• Haha 1

The only two things I appreciate.

- They spend to the cap.

- There is no rumours the team could move.

Aqua's should have stood up with Linden to build the team the right way and not go after short cuts.

It's too bad so many things have gone wrong, and blown up in this team's face.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

There's so much I dislike about Aqua, but he did bring in JR/PA and I think they've done a really good job of reconstructing this team. They aren't there yet, but they'll get there.

Aqua has also been pushed to finally get a practice rink for the team and they've started the renos (jumbotron, locker rooms, etc), and new seats next season. 

1 hour ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I have a hard time rooting for this ownership to win anything. They cut corners, ignore fans, treat people badly based on what's been reported in the media. I have a hard time seeing this plan of retooling be successful in the long run. Problem is, they don't have the assets to add to the current group. I still think a full rebuild will ultimately be the way to go. I just think they are trying so hard to avoid that but we all know so far it hasn't worked. How can they really add a few more big name players without assets? Anyways, I just have a hard time getting behind this ownership group with the way they do business in and out of hockey. Maybe people don't care. Sadly, I have had to resort to rooting for the players and coaches. Ignoring ownership entirely. 

So, Aquilini bought this team for somewhere in the 200 million range and could realistically sell it for about 1.2 billion right now. Regardless of what fans think, unless you can arrange a full blown attendance boycott of the team for the season, the Aquilini family is going to own this team for the next 50 + years.

You have every right to show up to games or team events and protest and wave signs demanding that he sell it, but..... mehhhh....I don't really think you're going to have much success there.

Every team in the NHL is now cash positive, that is something almost unthinkable 20 years ago. That means, selling the team right now at 1.2 ish billion, he'd be walking away from valuation 20 years from now in the range of 2 billion.... Do you really think that he would sell it unless you can find some pictures of him with some sheep and midge....errrr "People who wouldn't look out of place in a production of the Wizard of Oz...", and chocolate pudding?

If you can, that might initiate the clause in the league to ownership agreement to force a sale..... 

So, I guess the question comes down to, just how good are your PhotoShop skills @Canuckfanforlife82????

😉

I'm sorry, but some of these comments seem like a bitch-fest from sour, crybaby fans. No NHL owner is perfect, and I'm not nearly as concerned as many fans here. Sure, Aquilini has made his share of mistakes. But as it's been mentioned, he allows for spending to the cap, and not only that, he's allows big buy outs now. Imagine allowing your money to get spent by the millions just to buy out a player? Plus, despite living in Seattle himself, he has committed to the team remaining in Vancouver. And despite the Canucks floundering for much of the last decade, no other Canadian team has found a cup in that time, and it feels like ownership keeps learning from its mistakes, and trying to improve the team. We have a solid defensive structure in place now with a seemingly decent coach, our general management team seems to be making smarter moves, and the Canucks will hopefully move in the right direction this season. 

As for the whole Linden thing, I think it spoke to some of Linden's character flaws as much as Aquilini's flaws. All of BC keeps Linden on a pedestal, and for some good reasons, but he's not perfect, himself. As a player, maybe he is.  But I knew there was potential for issues the moment he became President of hockey operations for the Canucks. This is a guy who was used to fighting with and challenging league owners. He is a past president of the NHL Players' Association, and had helped create the mess that was the 2004-05 NHL lockout. It shouldn't come as a surprise that he jumped ship when he and Aquilini didn't see eye to eye. But honestly, to me that felt like a coward's way out to me - and not Linden the player who we know, who would keep sticking it out to try to make a difference. 

We need our own practice facility, for sure, but if we had one, chances are probably zero that I, and all the other Vancouver Islanders, would have witnessed the Canucks training camp in September.  The Canucks are the only team in the league I believe who offer the training camp in local cities to support further out fans who support them, and this is largely because we don't have our practice facility.

This being Thanksgiving, I'm actually thankful we have Aquilini, who has invested more in this team than probably anybody ever. It's easy to complain - that's what can happen when you're not winning, but I wouldn't pin our losing all on on Aquilini. There are no guarantees if you purposely tank. Just look at Buffalo; they've been doing it for years. I think we finally have enough good pieces in place that this year we'll make the playoffs, and it might just be the start of something special. 

Edited by Slegr
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Only a handful of teams don't spend to the cap and considering brand value and market size is a massive portion of the value that the team possesses, there is zero chance this team will ever be moved even if it is sold. There is very little to like about this ownership. As others have already stated, I will support the team and the players. 

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

So, Aquilini bought this team for somewhere in the 200 million range and could realistically sell it for about 1.2 billion right now. Regardless of what fans think, unless you can arrange a full blown attendance boycott of the team for the season, the Aquilini family is going to own this team for the next 50 + years.

You have every right to show up to games or team events and protest and wave signs demanding that he sell it, but..... mehhhh....I don't really think you're going to have much success there.

Every team in the NHL is now cash positive, that is something almost unthinkable 20 years ago. That means, selling the team right now at 1.2 ish billion, he'd be walking away from valuation 20 years from now in the range of 2 billion.... Do you really think that he would sell it unless you can find some pictures of him with some sheep and midge....errrr "People who wouldn't look out of place in a production of the Wizard of Oz...", and chocolate pudding?

If you can, that might initiate the clause in the league to ownership agreement to force a sale..... 

So, I guess the question comes down to, just how good are your PhotoShop skills @Canuckfanforlife82????

😉

Again, I have resorted to rooting for the players and coaches. It has nothing to do with me getting people to turn against them. The question is do people have a hard time getting behind ownership? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Again, I have resorted to rooting for the players and coaches. It has nothing to do with me getting people to turn against them. The question is do people have a hard time getting behind ownership? 

Since the OEL buyout absolutely.

Our owner is spending so his management can be given the best chance to build a winner. 

3 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

I support the players and team, I dislike the owners immensely. The reason we have been bad for so long sits directly in their greedy pockets.

I don't care much about ownership. They spend to the cap every year and give their hockey management all kinds of freedom. Naturally, they want to be kept informed, and maybe express an occasional opinion, but they own the enterprise and what else would you expect? 

But while we're on the subject, and after a considerable lifetime as a student of the game, here are other things I don't care about:

1. The team uniform, its colours, logos or design. Don’t care.

2. Which company a produces team jerseys. Don’t care.

3. The in-game DJ’s music selection. Don’t care.

4. How much money each player should make. Don’t care.

5. How long a player’s contract is. Don’t care.

6. Who you think the team should trade away. Don’t care.

7. Who you think the team should trade for. Don’t care.

8. Who the team drafts. Don’t care.

9. Which free agent the team should sign. Don’t care.

10. Which player should play with who. Don’t care.

11. What Drance, Dayal, Paterson, Donnie, Dhali, Sekeres, Price, Sat, Janda or Canucks Army think. And did I mention Drance? Because he bears repeating.

12. Who the owner, the GM or the coaches are. Don’t care.

Things I DO care about

1. The roster and the game, as described by John Shorthouse, from the first drop of the puck until the final buzzer or overtime goal. That is all.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

They pay out their asses for us to all have a bunch of men skate on ice and hit a rubber puck into nets and smash each other into the boards while we either celebrate them or boo them to death .

They want the team to win, they want us to be happy, they want to make money

We aren't as fans supposed to be focused on the owners but the product on the ice and what the organization does in the community.

I am of the mind that the ownership hate is just because things haven't worked out there has been bumps and a lot of losing so blame them!

Things seem to be on the up right now so lets hope for a positive year!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Hate to say it, but anyone who spends their free time posting about the team they own is supporting ownership. 

And in all honesty you have a group that spends to the cap every year and doesn’t seem to micro manage the team beyond not wanting a rebuild.  

I understand that’s the only thing on the Christmas list for some people, but it could be miles worse. And it has been.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1