[Rumour] Columbus engaged in trade talks to move a defenceman

22 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Because he’s small.

Thats all it is. If Boeser had Garland’s motor and snarl he’d be a hell of a player.

This is one of the things I hate about hockey. I know it's a physical sport, but there is such a huge bias on small players. I mean, I think that's ice age slowly changing. If you don't look at Garland's size, he's actually a pretty decent player on a contract I can't even say is that bad. Just under 5M for a guy who produces 45-50, maybe 55 points? That's not bad. 

I wish he was given a legitimate chance to show that he can contribute and play and be defensively sound. If he can do all those things - shouldn't he play - regardless of his stature? 

Size, and then where the person is from is the two things I dislike about hockey. In years past, it's always "We need more Canadian players for physicality" because you know, the idea behind a statement like that, is that European players are "soft". Well, we had a Canadian captain, before he was traded, and he rarely threw a hit. We have a towering defenseman who is also Canadian, and he isn't as physical as he should be. That narrative that Europeans are soft, or any other player besides Canadians, can't play a physical brand of hockey needs to begin to shift, and eventually die. 

• Like 2
  • ThereItIs 1

Question is, do any of CBJ's guys add any value to our team over Irwin, Hirose and Rathbone, and is that value more than the cost of them?

I'm disappointed in how quickly we sent Hirose, Irwin and Rathbone down. They must have been pretty poor in training and Tocchet must want them to develop a bit more. As for Irwin, it's a shame he didn't stick - he played 60+ games for Washington last year but surely he must be too slow and not able to pass too well to not even make it to the later rounds of cuts.

That leaves us a bit suspect on the back-end if we get hit with injuries, and we already have been. Juulsen has been good but does he crack any playoff roster? Same could be said for Myers. With Soucy injured, we're looking at a bottom 6 of Cole - Myers and what... Brisebois - Juulsen? 

We could certainly use an NHL defenceman who can play 18-20 minutes. CBJ has plenty. They're not flashy, they're not great, they're certainly not Pesce/Hanifin calibre but they'll get the job done in our bottom-4. I'd take Peeke, Bean, Boqvist or Blakenberg, let them decide who they don't want. 

Then comes the cost - Garland is obviously not going anywhere but Beauvillier carries some value with his cap and age and maybe he has more up-side than Garland these days. We'd surely have to add, I'd like to think Beauvillier + mid-round pick would get it done or Beau + Rathbone but wouldn't give more than a 2nd alongside Beauvillier.

9 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Question is, do any of CBJ's guys add any value to our team over Irwin, Hirose and Rathbone, and is that value more than the cost of them?

I'm disappointed in how quickly we sent Hirose, Irwin and Rathbone down. They must have been pretty poor in training and Tocchet must want them to develop a bit more. As for Irwin, it's a shame he didn't stick - he played 60+ games for Washington last year but surely he must be too slow and not able to pass too well to not even make it to the later rounds of cuts.

That leaves us a bit suspect on the back-end if we get hit with injuries, and we already have been. Juulsen has been good but does he crack any playoff roster? Same could be said for Myers. With Soucy injured, we're looking at a bottom 6 of Cole - Myers and what... Brisebois - Juulsen? 

We could certainly use an NHL defenceman who can play 18-20 minutes. CBJ has plenty. They're not flashy, they're not great, they're certainly not Pesce/Hanifin calibre but they'll get the job done in our bottom-4. I'd take Peeke, Bean, Boqvist or Blakenberg, let them decide who they don't want. 

Then comes the cost - Garland is obviously not going anywhere but Beauvillier carries some value with his cap and age and maybe he has more up-side than Garland these days. We'd surely have to add, I'd like to think Beauvillier + mid-round pick would get it done or Beau + Rathbone but wouldn't give more than a 2nd alongside Beauvillier.

Hirose was recalled

And what a difference a day makes, 8-1 win with Garland scoring first, and Boeser scoring 4. Sure, we did play with Hirose and Juulsen in the lineup so could still use more depth, but it sounds like Soucy will be back soon.

I wouldn't give up a lot just to help Columbus. If they can make the deal worthwhile, there is an option there though.

Wonder if a Podkolzin or hoglander trade to Columbus for a rhd would work?

Ceulmans might be available but they want to move an NHL rhd I assume.

Dont know enough about Columbus's situation or how certain prospects have developed since drafted

Jiricek ain't happening so maybe the next young rhd might be available...

9 minutes ago, Viking said:

Wonder if a Podkolzin or hoglander trade to Columbus for a rhd would work?

Ceulmans might be available but they want to move an NHL rhd I assume.

Dont know enough about Columbus's situation or how certain prospects have developed since drafted

Jiricek ain't happening so maybe the next young rhd might be available...

Pekke and we are good to go

Just now, Viking said:

He is ideal but what would the cost be?

Garland alone ain't gonna get him

We have few healthy bodies coming back.One youngster with Garland maybe do magic

Just now, Lemon Face said:

We have few healthy bodies coming back.One youngster with Garland maybe do magic

Colombus also have problem.Lack of forwards and extra defencmen

On 10/10/2023 at 12:50 PM, Goal_thecup said:

Peeke plus more if they take both Garland and Beauvillier and to make cap work and to add value to the return; maybe Corson Ceulemans? (Please.)

Retention available on Beauvillier as he only has one year left.

Jack Roslovic (26yrs; C/RW) has one year left at $4.00m, then he's UFA; CBJ not happy with him.

One year tryout; could be motivated to do well for his upcoming UFA status.

CBJ has $3m room; VCR has none.

From Vancouver:

Garland ($4.95m 3yrs remaining) Beauvillier ($4.15/yrs remaining) Rathbone ($0.85m 1 yr remaining) then RFA

Total $99.500m

To Vancouver:

Roslovic $4.00m 1 yr remaining then UFA

Peeke $2.75m 3 yrs remaining then UFA

Ceulemans $.975m 3yrs remaining ELC

Plus CBJ's 3rd round pick, CBJ-owned LA's 3rd round pick, or CBJ's 5rd round pick.

Total $10.425m

GO AHEAD. FLAME AWAY.  I'm never any good at this, lol.

sorry, but your math don't add up right

1 minute ago, grumpyone said:

From Vancouver:

Garland ($4.95m 3yrs remaining) Beauvillier ($4.15/yrs remaining) Rathbone ($0.85m 1 yr remaining) then RFA

Total $99.500m ---- should be $9.95  ( only slipped your decimal point )

To Vancouver:

Plus CBJ's 3rd round pick, CBJ-owned LA's 3rd round pick, or CBJ's 5rd round pick.

Total $10.425---- should be $7.725  ( not sure where the extra $2.7 came from )

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

From Vancouver:

To Vancouver:

Thanks.

What do you think of the rest of the proposal (without all the math mistakes)?

38 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

From Vancouver:

To Vancouver:

Well I’d easily do this, but I also view Beauvillier as a negative asset. He’s new more expensive Tanner Pearson. Paid like a 2nd liner but should only be playing on your 3rd line.

2 hours ago, Snoop Hogg said:

I wish Irwin would have been recalled for the rematch against Edmonton, in case things get out of hand.

He isn’t exactly a tough guy but I would sure rather him answer the bell than Hirose.  They are really limited due to it being an emergency call up situation.

They must really expect Mikheyev really soon rather than throwing him in LTIR for the start of the season.

The team still needs to shed some cap so we can actually have full rosters and not be screwed by short term injuries.

Maybe Garland has a really strong start and some team has an injury or realizes they need a hole filled and we could get an actual return without retaining salary or taking a bad contract back.  Garland from Arizona had actual value around the league.

On 10/10/2023 at 1:16 PM, Coconuts said:

It'd be funny if it wound up being Gudbranson coming back for a second stint and not Peeke 

A straight across swap with Guddy's NTC being the only potential hiccup 

His wife was a dentist in Vancouver - if she's still here I can see it 

2 hours ago, Goal_thecup said:

Thanks.

What do you think of the rest of the proposal (without all the math mistakes)?

I don't mind it, but I don't think they would . 

I think they might only include 1 draft pick, not two. 

• Thanks 1

Boqvist is redudent another small offensive minded D... Gubranson God no hahaha. Peeke or Jiricek is all I'd want just my two cents.

On a side note drives me nuts how everyone includes Rathbone on every proposal on this forum...like he's some awesome D... guys an offensive minded D who can't play defense... career AHL guy. His ceiling being generous is a 6 or 7 fringe player. Once again just my take.

• Cheers 1