[UPDATE] Man arrested under suspicion of manslaughter (RIP - Adam Johnson passes away following horrific skate injury)

For those out of the loop, Johnson was a former Pittsburgh Penguin who was playing in England.  He caught an errant skate to his throat during a game Saturday.

Many, many thoughts and emotions come to mind, but for now may he rest in peace.

Edited by Miss Korea
  • Sad 20

1 hour ago, Canadian said:

Would suggest not watching the video. Been on my mind all day after seeing it. Crazy week in hockey after the two severe concussion/convulsions and now this.

Not to mention Lauko getting a skate to the eye-area. Hockey just feels a little more dangerous right now. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Canadian said:

Would suggest not watching the video. Been on my mind all day after seeing it. Crazy week in hockey after the two severe concussion/convulsions and now this.

I will follow your advice. This probably is too much for me right now. Thank you. Sounds like horrific nightmare fuel from reddit.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Isn't there a material that's lightweight, and cut resistant you can wear around your neck that would stop something like that?

There definitely is. I've worked with a couple hockey players and we've had this discussion about socks and neck guards that protect against cuts. I don't know about the validity of the product, but they definitely exist. 

Do you think would the NHL ever mandate it to protect their players? It took so long to get every one where helmets, which is a far more likely injury prevention PPE. I don't even think everyone wears a visor yet either. 

Wonder if a tragedy like this changes some young players minds about taking extra precautions.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

What a horrific end to this story. Thoughts to him and close ones. Life is so fragile. 

It really grabs onto you when something you love ends up being the cause of someones death. Hoping the equipment companies get commissioned to bring out prototypes for new gear. 

Edited by DeltaSwede
  • Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Isn't there a material that's lightweight, and cut resistant you can wear around your neck that would stop something like that?

There are the cut-resistant hockey socks, IIRC they are woven with kevlar....maybe some sort of turtleneck with this material? 

*edit* Just saw @MeanSeanBean reference same thing. Cheers.

Edited by Sophomore Jinx
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Canadian said:

Ya, reminds me of Clint Malarchuk, I was watching that game live (not in person, TV), but sadly unlike Clint, Adam did not survive.

No matter where one plays or which game one is watching  in whatever league, everyone is part of the same hockey family. Very sad day, Rest In Peace good sir. 

Edited by Rocket-68

Throat guards HAVE to be made mandatory especially after this. Even if they treat it like visors, or way back when helmets. Grandfather it in. But it has to be done. And not trying to sound morbid, but I'm surprised skate cuts in general dont happen more often than they do. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

Ya, reminds me of Clint Malarchuk, I was watching that game live (not in person, TV), but sadly unlike Clint, Adam did not survive.

No matter where one plays or which game one is watching  in whatever league, everyone is part of the same hockey family. Very sad day, Rest In Peace good sir. 

Malarchuk, much like Jiri Fischer (and more recently Damar Hamlin) was fortunate that he was playing in the NHL, where they have access to the best (and more importantly, immediate) medical care.

The leagues lower down in the pecking order just aren't set up to handle worst case scenario.....

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Malarchuk, much like Jiri Fischer (and more recently Damar Hamlin) was fortunate that he was playing in the NHL, where they have access to the best (and more importantly, immediate) medical care.

The leagues lower down in the pecking order just aren't set up to handle worst case scenario.....

This was 20x worse than Clint Malarchuk.  Johnson had the puck and was carrying it into the offensive zone.  The other team's player went to check him, hit one of Johnson's teammates first, lost his balance and his right leg came up and basically he did a kung-fu kick on Johnson's neck with his skate blade as the leg was swinging out.  Total freak accident and the skate blade just happened to have a direct impact on Johnson's neck.

I've never seen so much blood on the ice in a hockey game.  20x worse than Clint Malarchuk.  Don't think he could have been saved.  He probably died in the dressing room.

May he RIP.  And hopefully the NHL makes kevlar protection mandatory for all players.  You can protect your legs, wrists and throat with this technology and it shouldn't impede any movements for a player as it is woven into the fabric so loss of mobility shouldn't be an issue.  Kevlar is 5 times stronger than steel and is used in bullet proof vests...

30 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

This was 20x worse than Clint Malarchuk.  Johnson had the puck and was carrying it into the offensive zone.  The other team's player went to check him, hit one of Johnson's teammates first, lost his balance and his right leg came up and basically he did a kung-fu kick on Johnson's neck with his skate blade as the leg was swinging out.  Total freak accident and the skate blade just happened to have a direct impact on Johnson's neck.

I've never seen so much blood on the ice in a hockey game.  20x worse than Clint Malarchuk.  Don't think he could have been saved.  He probably died in the dressing room.

May he RIP.  And hopefully the NHL makes kevlar protection mandatory for all players.  You can protect your legs, wrists and throat with this technology and it shouldn't impede any movements for a player as it is woven into the fabric so loss of mobility shouldn't be an issue.  Kevlar is 5 times stronger than steel and is used in bullet proof vests...

this ...looked like a sidekick . defintely made letal damage . absolutely  brutal.   rest in peace 😞

Edited by Bombastik der Teutone
  • Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 2