After Hours With Rick Tocchet

Shekky

3 hours ago, Shekky said:

I really like his mentality with coaching, I didn't know much about Tocchet before being coach of the Canucks interesting to know he basically created the power forward 😄

after seeing those pictures of them... damn... I gotta hit the gym

Great interview btw, I like him more and more.

EDIT: this is not from the interview, found it on reddit, but wow, imagine a guy like that delivering a hit on you... an average guy would get killed on the ice

oytni03o8qr41.thumb.jpg.9ff901aef4f50261dfbc271960b72a93.jpg

Edited by Rubik
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Shekky said:

I really like his mentality with coaching, I didn't know much about Tocchet before being coach of the Canucks interesting to know he basically created the power forward 😄

I'd argue Gordie Howe created the power forward model lol

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

I'd argue Gordie Howe created the power forward model lol

They mentioned it in the interview I'm not going to judge whether Gordie Howe created it or Tocchet did. Gordie Howe played before my time on this Earth 🤣

• Haha 2

Thanks for posting.

Tocchet comes across as very humble and down to earth.... its really surprising.

Like a proper Gentleman. Its his way or the highway, but he is not deaf for suggestions or having meetings with players.

There is zero doubt that the players are buying into Tocchets ideas, and it really looks like they play for him.

More importantly he keeps both feet firmly planted on the ground... He doesn't take a battle with the referees this early in the season, which is a clever move... The refs will be told from all corners, if they are making a mistake, and will likely appreciate Tocchet not losing the plot with them... It also likely means that, when he eventually is going to lose the plot, they are more likely to listen to his complaints...

Tocchet definitely has my support. Very impressed about him, and how he talks up the players.... 

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Thanks for posting.

Tocchet comes across as very humble and down to earth.... its really surprising.

Like a proper Gentleman. Its his way or the highway, but he is not deaf for suggestions or having meetings with players.

There is zero doubt that the players are buying into Tocchets ideas, and it really looks like they play for him.

More importantly he keeps both feet firmly planted on the ground... He doesn't take a battle with the referees this early in the season, which is a clever move... The refs will be told from all corners, if they are making a mistake, and will likely appreciate Tocchet not losing the plot with them... It also likely means that, when he eventually is going to lose the plot, they are more likely to listen to his complaints...

Tocchet definitely has my support. Very impressed about him, and how he talks up the players.... 

It’s really hard not to like the guy, I don’t understand people right from his hiring who were against him.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, BabychStache said:

It’s because Bruce was so dang likeable. 

I think everyone loved Bruce, but he was at the end of his career. Toc is early in his coaching career and is hungry for success. I believe the players are hungry too and that is what will carry them to the playoffs this year and beyond.

• Cheers 1

This was great. I’m such a big fan of Tocchet. He’s a blue collar guy who knows what it takes to win. He’s also very careful in what he says and how he says it.

I remember his first game as coach, he was boo’d by some, with chants raining down of “Bruce there it is!” But it became so clear that Rick was what we needed. He is a champion, and he’ll get us there. 

3 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

I always considered Tim Kerr of the Flyers the earliest Power Forward.

I feel like a true power forward has to have size ,skill and speed (to overwhelm opposing D's).  That's a really rare comination to find.  Kerr had the size and skill parts, but Tocchet definitely had more speed.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, CaptainCanuck12 said:

I feel like a true power forward has to have size ,skill and speed (to overwhelm opposing D's).  That's a really rare comination to find.  Kerr had the size and skill parts, but Tocchet definitely had more speed.

I’m not sure who would compare with Kerr at the time but Neely came along then as well.

• Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

I was so on the fence about this hiring when it happened (maybe a month before when we all knew it was going down). But so far I feel silly about my hesitation. Absolutely love the way Tocc is handling this team.

I think it’s easier to see failure is coming as we are so used to it over the last dozen years. Go to the old forum and all the experts were saying after horvat was traded how the Canucks are not going to be competitive for a few years and they might as well trade Miller and Petey is going to walk… I tend not to listen to what those boys are writing about the team now!

17 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

I think it’s easier to see failure is coming as we are so used to it over the last dozen years. Go to the old forum and all the experts were saying after horvat was traded how the Canucks are not going to be competitive for a few years and they might as well trade Miller and Petey is going to walk… I tend not to listen to what those boys are writing about the team now!

I don't think that's wrong. I still think it's going to be a challenge to reach the playoffs, but I still think we'll make it just like I did before. But I still think is going to be 2-3 years before we are competitive for the cup, which is the goal. But it's definitely nice seeing the team trending in the right direction early this season.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Westcoasting said:

I’m not sure who would compare with Kerr at the time but Neely came along then as well.

Kerr's body took a beating too.   Back and shoulders.   If Kerr played in the final, they might have beaten EDM, who at the time, were probably at the peak of their powers.   There are a lot of tough dudes back then, Kerr for sure was headed for the HHOF, their guy on the power play.    Neely wasn't super fast either, of the power forwards back then, Messier probably was the fastest.    Watching Otto and him go at it was a treat.   Howe of course wasn't a slouch in that regard either.   

Games changed, I don't think Tochett is giving himself enough credit - did just fine late in his career in PHX, and the 90's had some of the fastest players ever (PHX of course is the 2000's).   The year Gartner set his record that took McDavid to beat fair and square, there were a dozen guys setting 13.5 times in the qualifier or the skating round.   Hedican was one of them. 

• Cheers 1