Elliotte Friedman? Omfg!

iceman1964

9 hours ago, iceman1964 said:

Elliotte Friedman:

Rick Tocchett is getting the canucks over achieving? Omfg! Like NOT! 

News flash Elliotte.. we finally got out holes filled with quality players around the core and added to it with the likes of Kuz and Mik especially, Blueger isn't even in the lineup either. 

Past that, Demko is back to being his stellar self, Casey is backing him up and doing a awesome job, omg even Myers is playing a lot better and closer to his pay grade and his shorty the last game was great! 

Petey is on a tear as usual, Brock is back to himself finally and sniping like mad and playing better D which he was capable of. 

J.T. is mimicking his first season here and how he left of from last season. 

Mik is back and using his speed and still getting going.

Not much in a way is new here except for the additions that filled us out, Lafferty a good upgrade. 

Ian Cole making opposition skate with hesitation knowing if the make a mistake they'll get wasted into the boards, he loves to hit. 

Hoglander getting reps in and continuing his forechecking ways and getting better and upping his confidence. 

Soucy (big boy) with snarl that we needed badly, Joshua picking it up and playing harder and smarter. 

Hughes? Whoa! He just keeps getting better and turning opposing players inside out and looking like a pylon for playtime pond practice.. 

So Friedman, TOC has the team playing for each other and still room for improvement and still not at our ceiling, not even close, there's a ton of talent on this team and all ut needed was support and now we have it. 

It's as simple as that, any good core in the NHL with proper support is going to do well, now all we need is depth for it and let's hope it continues to develop in the form of Willander, D-petey, etc etc  to make a appearance in the next year or 2 but credit the coaches for sure and I'm not saying Toc isn't working hard in the least to challenge guys and with the help of the Twins, Gochar, Clark, etc. are simply paying dividends that eventually had to come with the right additions. 

No we're not THERE yet but saying we're overachieving? Not even close!!! 

I dont think overachieving is the right word, but if you look at the roster, you wouldn't expect them to be at this level.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

11 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Friedman is a joke. Bieska is polite but calls it like it is. He deals in BS and makes a living from it. Good for him but he is fluff. 

He hasn't been a Canucks "insider" for a while now. 

I don't mind him, other than he's a bit too willing to make a guess sound like he has info when he doesn't.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Is the mark of a good coach getting a team to be more than the sum of its parts sometimes? 

Rick and his group are doing a great job with some marginal pieces in the lineup.

100% sometimes a coach just lines up perfectly with the roaster. This could be the case but in reality we are really jumping the gun here.

We are falling in love here like 2 recently divorced middle agers liberated from a miserable marriage. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

What I like is you can see where better talent will slot right in if Allvin can make some more moves, but it's not like we are waiting for a saviour in any key area anymore.

E.g. Joshua is... Well let's say clearly not the sharpest tool in the shed. If we can replace him with someone just as physical but more effective that would help. 

We need a couple of bigger skilled wingers if we expect to go with Suter and Bluger.

Joshua was engaged last season at times, and showed pretty well. I think the love is fading, and Lafferty is everything we hoped Joshua would be. If Erne had better legs, I'd think he would be a great fit as he's just rotting in Bakersfield.  I agree that some physical wingers would complement our bottom 6 Centres well.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, therodigy said:

Joshua was engaged last season at times, and showed pretty well. I think the love is fading, and Lafferty is everything we hoped Joshua would be. If Erne had better legs, I'd think he would be a great fit as he's just rotting in Bakersfield.  I agree that some physical wingers would complement our bottom 6 Centres well.

I'm hoping Podz can step in for him this year. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

We don't have our record without Demko playing as well as he has. DeSmith has also had some stellar games. In addition to great goaltending, we have the league leader in defensive points in QH and EP is tied for league lead in points. How much of that is Tocchet? I'm not sure. I think he probably deserves more credit for putting Boeser in a position to succeed (he's actually shooting without hesitation!). Regardless, it is still early and I am eagerly awaiting to see us against the Knights. Our performance against the Rangers and Stars is promising. We need to follow those performances up against the Knights, Avs and Kings.

8 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

We don't have our record without Demko playing as well as he has. DeSmith has also had some stellar games. In addition to great goaltending, we have the league leader in defensive points in QH and EP is tied for league lead in points. How much of that is Tocchet? I'm not sure. I think he probably deserves more credit for putting Boeser in a position to succeed (he's actually shooting without hesitation!). Regardless, it is still early and I am eagerly awaiting to see us against the Knights. Our performance against the Rangers and Stars is promising. We need to follow those performances up against the Knights, Avs and Kings.

On one hand, it’s tough to be a good team without goaltending.  That’s rare territory. 

Also, with all due respect to Demko, it sure feels like we’ve played with the lead a whole lot this year.  While we haven’t sat back like we have in the past, I’m sure some of Demko’s save percentage are some score effects while we keep the shots to the outside. Obviously he’s made some beauties, but not as many as he had to, say, during the Bruce bump.

Kind of an interesting discussion on how much Demko/DeSmith get credit for our record.  DeSmith stole the 2nd Oilers game.  Any more?  I’d say they’re doing their jobs - but we aren’t riding their coattails despite some fabulous numbers they’ve put up.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, stawns said:

I dont think overachieving is the right word, but if you look at the roster, you wouldn't expect them to be at this level.

It says that Tocchet's system has buy in from all of their players from the top six, to the bottom six. 

15 minutes ago, Provost said:

That is huge reach to find something to whine about.

The team is over achieving, it isn’t likely that they will be ending the season with 126+ points.

To get these kind of results from this roster is a pretty amazing feat.

We have gotten bounces to supplement excellent play by the team and ridiculously good goaltending.

There will absolutely be adversity and injuries ahead in the season.  

Do you think it's primarily systems and coaching? And if it is, what does that say about Boudreau's and Green's systems before Toccchet's? That they sucked and they couldn't coach? 

14 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

It says that Tocchet's system has buy in from all of their players from the top six, to the bottom six. 

Do you think it's primarily systems and coaching? And if it is, what does that say about Boudreau's and Green's systems before Toccchet's? That they sucked and they couldn't coach? 

I think Boudreau is an awesome person and personality, but I don't think he can coach defensive systems and that was his downfall in Washington as well.

His approach to the game is, just keep the puck in the offensive zone. Still not happy about how the team handled his dismissal, he deserved better, but changing coaches was definitely the right decision. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Green was similar to RT up until the season they imploded.  They had a steady climb of improvement under Green (when healthy) and when they all pulled in the same direction, they were tough to play against.  For whatever reason, they tuned him out and it fell apart 

BB was an unmitigated disaster

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I dunno, we probably are overacheiving a little bit. We're not going to be a .773 point% team all year, that's incredibly high. But the team is a lot better than it has been. If they play .600 hockey the rest of the year that's still a 102 point season.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

Green was similar to RT up until the season they imploded.  They had a steady climb of improvement under Green (when healthy) and when they all pulled in the same direction, they were tough to play against.  For whatever reason, they tuned him out and it fell apart 

BB was an unmitigated disaster

whatever happened behind the scenes that fractured the room has remained a fascinating mystery to me. I always wondered if he gave petey shit for the contract holdout when he wanted the team focused on picking up where they left off and improving. just seeing how terrible pettersson was to start that year, no investment at all, I couldn't help but wonder. 

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, LaBamba said:

I mean….what exactly is wrong with Overachieving? 

Let’s be real here. If you are a NHL analyst looking at the past 10 years of Canucks hockey and what changes were made during the offseason, are you predicting they’re at the top of the western conference? Anyone who predicted this start completely pulled it out of their homer ass. Lol

Relax bro, we are 100% overachieving and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. The NJ Devils from like 1995 to 2005 were overachievers and won a few cups. 

This is 10 games in. I see nothing wrong with his assessment. 

Pretty much, I don't think most folks who aren't optimistic Canucks fans had the Canucks having this kid of start. It's not as if we've had a great track record the last decade or so, I think most hockey pundits had us improving and maybe being a wildcard or third seed spot. Or somewhere in no man's land. Skepticism isnt unwarranted, neither is being pragmatic. 

Dunno why folks gotta be upset at hockey media for not waving pompoms and proclaiming this team as having turned things around after eleven games. Nothing wrong with overachieving, just enjoy it while it lasts. We're a Pettersson, Hughes, Demko, or Miller injury away from things suddenly looking very different. And yes, that is true for most teams, but these things happen and it's super early. 

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1