Sawyer Mynio | D

21 hours ago, Canucklehead44 said:

Hunter & Sawyer already looking better than Juolevi in his D +1

Juolevi actually had a pretty decent D+1, it was after that where things went badly off the rails due to season ending injuries.

Fans look only at Juolevi's point production, but that was not why he was drafted. He was picked for his defensive capabilities, not even remotely for his ability to contribute offensively. 

• Vintage 2

On 12/22/2023 at 6:40 PM, VegasCanuck said:

Juolevi actually had a pretty decent D+1, it was after that where things went badly off the rails due to season ending injuries.

Fans look only at Juolevi's point production, but that was not why he was drafted. He was picked for his defensive capabilities, not even remotely for his ability to contribute offensively. 

That’s not entirely true. He was drafted because he was seen as the best all round defender who could pot some points as well as keep them out of our net. There were flashier players, Juolevi was seen as the most complete player, and thus having the highest floor (others were seen as having the higher ceiling).

Edited by NorthWestNuck
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, NorthWestNuck said:

That’s not entirely true. He was drafted because he was seen as the best all round defender who could pot some points as well as keep them out of our net. There were flashier players, Juolevi was seen as the most complete player, and thus having the highest floor (others were seen as having the higher ceiling).

I distinctly remember Benning admiring Juolevi's first pass out of the D zone and his ability to transition the puck. Weird how awful that scouting report turned out to be.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, NorthWestNuck said:

He was seen as a guy who could quiet things down and close out games.

1 hour ago, Jim Tim said:

I distinctly remember Benning admiring Juolevi's first pass out of the D zone and his ability to transition the puck. Weird how awful that scouting report turned out to be.

This is what happens when the GM overruled his shouting department after seeing a player for a tournament and then deciding that’s “his guy”. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 12/24/2023 at 8:11 PM, Jim Tim said:

I remember being just pissed at the pick. I then deeded to give it a chance and check out the footage of Juolevi. I was absolutely appalled at how terrible he was at defence. Literally no clue how or which man to pick up in the defensive zone.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

On 11/30/2023 at 11:42 AM, Sophomore Jinx said:

Canucks Prospect Sawyer Mynio Taking His Game To The Next Level

Canucks Prospect Sawyer Mynio Taking His Game To The Next Level
Canucks Prospect Sawyer Mynio Taking His Game To The Next Level© Provided by The Hockey News

One prospect that Vancouver Canuck fans should be paying attention to is defenceman Sawyer Mynio. The B.C.-born defender has taken his game to the next level this season in the WHL and has thrived in a leadership role for the Seattle Thunderbirds. Drafted 89th overall, he continues to evolve his game as he does everything he can to become an NHL regular one day. 

All Mynio has done in the WHL is win. In his first season, Seattle was crowned Western Conference Champions, while last year, he helped the Thunderbirds make it to the Memorial Cup Final. As he explains, playing in a winning environment isn't just great for morale but also helped him develop into the player he is today.

"It's been great," said Mynio. "Going into my third year here in Seattle, we've gone to the championship back-to-back years. I think that was huge for my growth, lots of important experience in this league, lots of development all these years. I think I have really grown my game over the years, which helped me get drafted by the Canucks."

Going back to last season, Mynio had the chance to experience something few players do: playing in a Memorial Cup in his hometown. As mentioned, Seattle made it all the way to the final, with the Canucks prospect playing in all five games during the tournament. This run was special for him as not only did he get to compete for the CHL's top prize, but that he was being cheered on by a large section of family and friends. 

"It was awesome. It is something that not a lot of guys get to do: play it in their hometown. To just go to the tournament and also experience it in front of my friends and family. Every game that they came to watch, there was a pretty good crowd for me."

It wasn't just his family and friends watching him as Vancouver took a keen interest in the Thunderbirds defender. So much so that not only did they select him in the third round of the 2023 draft, but they signed him to an entry-level contract before the season. As Mynio explains, the Canucks are taking a firm interest in his development, which includes visits from Chris Higgins, who is part of Vancouver's development staff. 

"Yeah, it's awesome. The scouts come to a lot of our games. Chris Higgins, he's a player development guy. He comes and watches me whenever I have a game, and the Canucks don't, so it's great. We talk a lot for them to be just three hours away, so it really helps my game."

At this point in his career, Mynio is trying to take the lessons he has learned from the Canucks and apply them to his game at the WHL level. The 18-year-old has added more offence to his game this season while bulking up so that he can be ready to take on stronger competition at the pro level. He is also working on the smaller details of his game, which, as he describes, is crucial to success at the next level. 

"I think it is important to watch every detail in the practice and get your habits in check. I think that's the biggest thing about turning pro is you can't make these little mistakes. You have to be dialled into everything in. The little details of the game are super important. It was an eye opener at camp and especially the thing that I'm focusing on here this year in Seattle."

Mynio is the type of prospect Canucks fans should get excited about, even if he did grow up an Oilers fan. A player who takes inspiration from Shea Theodore and Duncan Keith, he continues to improve his game and has developed into an intriguing prospect. While it is still early in his development, as he doesn't turn 19 until April, he has the potential to develop into a key piece for Vancouver in the future. 

Great article, thanks!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

Chris Higgins from Canucks Player Development gave praise to the scouting staff for identifying not only the player but the role that Mynio was going to be with Seattle Thunderbirds this season in his draft-plus-one year.

"You have to give credit to the amateur scouting staff we have," said Higgins. "They did a really good job of identifying what situation Sawyer was going to walk into this year and pretty much nailed it with what their forecasts were. I remember sitting at the amateur scout meetings last May and our scouts were really passionate about Sawyer. They thought he was a bit overlooked with a strong defence corps that Seattle had in their 2022-23 championship season."

At the time of his draft, Mynio was looked at as a defensive defenceman who thrives on the penalty kill and plays an intelligent game on the backend. This season, Mynio's role with the Seattle Thunderbirds has evolved and he is now getting time on the power play while playing close to 30 minutes a night in the WHL.

“Playing close to 30 minutes every night keeps you in the game instead of playing 10-15 minutes,” said Mynio of his increased role with the Thunderbirds. “I think it's a lot easier to play 30, especially when you're in shape because you know that you can do it.”

The growth in his role with the team has resulted in greater offensive production. Mynio's 2022-23 season saw him finish with five goals and 26 assists in 68 games -- that's a 0.46 points per game rate. He's only 29 games into the 2023-24 season and has eight goals and 16 assists for 24 points and has nearly doubled his points per game total, now sitting at 0.83 on the year.

Coming into the 2023-24 season, Mynio didn't set up any goals for himself aside from getting a chance to do more for his team.

"I just wanted to get more opportunity,” said Mynio about the 2023-24 season. “Obviously, being on the power play really helps that. That's one thing I wanted to take on and just being on the power play, getting my offensive numbers up -- it really helps me grow my game. To have that confidence and be trusted to be sturdy offensively is something I want to do and I’m getting that opportunity to show it this season.”

Mynio has been doing damage as the right half-wall shooter on the Thunderbirds' top power play unit. He's firing one-timers and moving the puck well in a spot on a power play that is typically occupied by a forward.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

12 hours ago, Jim Tim said:

I really like this kid. Was already a good skater and great defensively... almost ppg in the WHL at 18 years old on top of all that is like free money.

Wouldn't it be amazing if the Canucks hit a few home runs in the last draft...Wallinder, Mynio and Brzustewicz ( PS I had to google that one and I had to buy a vowel)🤣 

On 12/23/2023 at 2:49 AM, Rypien-Punch said:

Is Sawyer likely to play another season in the CHL?

On 12/23/2023 at 2:53 AM, Captain insano said:

More than likely yes 

From the article above:

“I've gained a lot of weight as I just get my body ready for in two years when I want to make the jump to pro hockey,” said Mynio. “I’ve still got next year here in Seattle, which is going to help develop my game a lot more. I just want to get everything better and skating is always something that is a focus because it's at such a different level in the pros. My main focus for improvement is skating for sure. When you jump into pro and you're a defenceman, you’re not going to be on the power play, I expect that. That's where the PK comes in. I believe I can play there and just have a good, defensively sturdy game.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

From the article above:

“I've gained a lot of weight as I just get my body ready for in two years when I want to make the jump to pro hockey,” said Mynio. “I’ve still got next year here in Seattle, which is going to help develop my game a lot more. I just want to get everything better and skating is always something that is a focus because it's at such a different level in the pros. My main focus for improvement is skating for sure. When you jump into pro and you're a defenceman, you’re not going to be on the power play, I expect that. That's where the PK comes in. I believe I can play there and just have a good, defensively sturdy game.”

Wouldn’t surprise me to see Hunter play another either 

• Cheers 1

On 12/24/2023 at 6:05 PM, NorthWestNuck said:

This. 

He was not expected to be a standout star, but was said by Benning to have fantastic passing, and a high hockey IQ. A little physicality too. A guy who would be a quick-up to the NHL and bolster a really poor defense. I'm pretty sure the expectations WERE that he would chip in with points - they just didn't know how adept he would be at it.

As it turns out, not very. Frankly, not very adept at hockey in general as his progression came to a complete halt. The fact he wasn't in good enough shape to play in the NHL surely didn't help, but I think he's just one of those high draft picks which ended up a complete swing and miss. It happens, I guess. But what a waste that pick was.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Captain insano said:

Wouldn’t surprise me to see Hunter play another either 

I don't think that would be best for his development, he seems miles ahead of other juniors players. AHL seems logical for him next year IMO

48 minutes ago, Jim Tim said:

I don't think that would be best for his development, he seems miles ahead of other juniors players. AHL seems logical for him next year IMO

He's not eligible to play in the AHL next season 

On 12/22/2023 at 6:40 PM, VegasCanuck said:

I doubt that. It’s pretty rare that a top ten first round D pick is selected because of his defensive abilities - partly because it’s so hard to project nhl level defensive ability in a q7/18 year old D.  Here is a typical analysis of Juolevi: https://www.thedraftanalyst.com/prospects/olli-juolevi/  He was principally described as{ “You can classify him as your atypical offensive-minded defenseman who always looks to make a play or expand on one that has already developed. Transitioning from blue line to blue line is his bread and butter, and he expands his options not only from his mobility, but from his exceptional passing prowess and vision.”