Sawyer Mynio | D

1 hour ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I doubt that. It’s pretty rare that a top ten first round D pick is selected because of his defensive abilities - partly because it’s so hard to project nhl level defensive ability in a q7/18 year old D.  Here is a typical analysis of Juolevi: https://www.thedraftanalyst.com/prospects/olli-juolevi/  He was principally described as{ “You can classify him as your atypical offensive-minded defenseman who always looks to make a play or expand on one that has already developed. Transitioning from blue line to blue line is his bread and butter, and he expands his options not only from his mobility, but from his exceptional passing prowess and vision.”

You can doubt it all you want, but Benning was on record that they hoped that he would develop into a guy who could close out games. Someone they could put out there in a 1 goal game with 60 seconds left and know that he would make good judgements on what he did with the puck.

Past the first 3 or 4 guys, the general scouting analysis on the next players through to about 15 or 16 was, all too close to call, all players were really close in development.  Teams would select for positional needs knowing that there was a good chance that the player they selected would develop into something close to the player they envisioned.

Now, fans LOVE to rag on this pick. The kid had 2 major surgeries after we drafted him, Major back surgery in 2018 and major knee surgery in 2019. Both surgeries shut him down for the season, both surgeries required MAJOR recovery and rehabilitation time and you never know how a player is really going to recover from that. Hindsight is 20/20, I don't expect any GM to have a crystal ball regarding how someone will recover from those type of injuries that occur AFTER you select him, high up in the draft.

It's incredible that fans want to rag on this, but you never really hear them rag on selection of Virtanen (who was the choice of MANY people on this board) and about what a colossal failure he was as a pick at #6. I look at most of Virtanen's failings as maturity and character issues. If you want to bang on Benning about a bad pick, I'm completely good about fans ragging on him about Virtanen because, those are flaws that they should have seen coming through interviews ahead of the draft.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

You can doubt it all you want, but Benning was on record that they hoped that he would develop into a guy who could close out games. Someone they could put out there in a 1 goal game with 60 seconds left and know that he would make good judgements on what he did with the puck.

Past the first 3 or 4 guys, the general scouting analysis on the next players through to about 15 or 16 was, all too close to call, all players were really close in development.  Teams would select for positional needs knowing that there was a good chance that the player they selected would develop into something close to the player they envisioned.

Now, fans LOVE to rag on this pick. The kid had 2 major surgeries after we drafted him, Major back surgery in 2018 and major knee surgery in 2019. Both surgeries shut him down for the season, both surgeries required MAJOR recovery and rehabilitation time and you never know how a player is really going to recover from that. Hindsight is 20/20, I don't expect any GM to have a crystal ball regarding how someone will recover from those type of injuries that occur AFTER you select him, high up in the draft.

It's incredible that fans want to rag on this, but you never really hear them rag on selection of Virtanen (who was the choice of MANY people on this board) and about what a colossal failure he was as a pick at #6. I look at most of Virtanen's failings as maturity and character issues. If you want to bang on Benning about a bad pick, I'm completely good about fans ragging on him about Virtanen because, those are flaws that they should have seen coming through interviews ahead of the draft.

Benning was a Moran. The OJ pick was 100% his Morannass. 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Captain insano said:

Wouldn’t surprise me to see Hunter play another either 

This possibility has been discussed in the Hunter Brzustewicz thread. I believe that the Brzustewicz camp has stated that they believe that they have little to gain with another year in the OHL. Because he will turn 20 before the end of the 2024 calendar year, he will be eligible to play in the AHL. Not sure that it would be wise having a 19 year old playing in the AHL because of the different level of maturity that the AHL players are at and the much more physical play. Benning placed Klimovich in the A as an 18 year old and I don't believe that was the best decision.

Of possible interest.....Hunter has not yet signed with us. No need to panick but I would hope that we sign him this year. Our player Development Department can then work closely with his camp on deciding where to play him next year.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jim Tim said:

He fits the criteria to be AHL eligible next season.

Interesting what confusion can transpire when a second prospect is mentioned in a different prospect thread.

This being a Sawyer Mynio thread and he is not eligible to play in the AHL next year. It will be the WHL for him. 

The second prospect mentioned here.....Hunter Brzustewicz is eligible to play in the AHL. He is also eligible to continue playing in the OHL for another two years after this season.

The birthyear is the difference between the two prospects.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, AatuD2 said:

I believe he is... People mentioned it earlier in the thread. 

8 hours ago, Jim Tim said:

He fits the criteria to be AHL eligible next season.

I thought this was the Mynio thread, I missed that this was in regards to Hunter who is eligible! My bad 

On 1/17/2024 at 12:22 AM, DeltaSwede said:

I thought this was the Mynio thread, I missed that this was in regards to Hunter who is eligible! My bad 

Mynio, Mynio, Mynio, Mynio, Mynio, etc. wanted to stay on topic, and not offend the topic police.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2024 at 8:05 PM, VegasCanuck said:

I think I’ll take you at your word, and go with the footer you have for each post, which says this: ‘The opinions I post here should not be considered to hold any basis in reality! They may contain references to persons imagined by the voices in my head and might or might not have ratified by said voices for release in public forums.“

• Haha 1

On 1/16/2024 at 10:05 PM, VegasCanuck said:

It's crazy that Benning believed that. 30 seconds of video and I could tell the kid had zero idea of how to play defence. Had zero concept of picking his man up in front of the net and just wandered around looking for the puck and shirking responsibility. Horrible scouting and pick.

On 1/16/2024 at 11:05 PM, VegasCanuck said:

It's incredible that fans want to rag on this, but you never really hear them rag on selection of Virtanen 

uhhhh…what?!

does the closing of the old board just represent an entire vacuum of all history?

On 1/16/2024 at 8:05 PM, VegasCanuck said:

So what you're saying, Benning fanboy, is that a use of a crystal ball doesn't apply to Bennings picks, but for some reason, it applies to Gillis. Is that what your saying? Funny how you guys defend the Juolevi pick to the Nth degree and yet rag on Gillis picks like Hodgson, Schroeder etc who were BPA at their position unlike Juolevi. Granted Gillis was terrible at drafting but for you dopes to foresee what those picks would become like you guys knew all along and make excuses for the next guy is laughable.

Sorry to burst your bubble but Virtanen was NOT the pick of this board. If Virtanen was born in middle of nowhere saskatchewan rather than being a hometown boy, we would've never picked him. His consensus ranking was all over the place

Almost forgot about this Mynio. Im not saying hes a sure thing for the bigs, but he's developing pretty good over there at the Dub. Maybe thats why Bruz was expendable. We still got Willander, Dpetey, this guy plus Kudraytsev (whatever his name is, similar style to Bruz). Our depth in the blue line still looks good, a lot better than past years

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2024 at 8:08 PM, Alflives said:

Benning was a Moran. The OJ pick was 100% his Morannass. 

I thought Benning was in a unique category - a true Benning. I do think, though, when you call someone a moron you should spell it correct;y. Normally, I don”t comment on someone’s spelling, but that is just a bad look.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

On 2/6/2024 at 12:58 AM, filthy animal said:

Almost forgot about this Mynio. Im not saying hes a sure thing for the bigs, but he's developing pretty good over there at the Dub. Maybe thats why Bruz was expendable. We still got Willander, Dpetey, this guy plus Kudraytsev (whatever his name is, similar style to Bruz). Our depth in the blue line still looks good, a lot better than past years

A very nice D+1 year! The pick seemed a bit early at the time but he’s really stepped up his offensive production this year!

• 3 weeks later...

Mynio has been very good after being injured at the start of the year. He has 14 goals and 34 assists for 48 points in 56 games on a last place team. Next season he will be Seattle's top defenceman and if the team still languishes near the bottom, he'd be a good candidate for a trade to a Memorial Cup contender. I think he is a longer term prospect, but he shows legitimate promise.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Zimmyparttwo said:

Three points tonight in an OT victory over Portland with our boy scoring the winner. Up to 52 points in 59 games. I think we may just have something here!

I've been tracking Mynio and Kudryavtsev all season. Either or both of them may turn out to be NHL defensemen. As you mentioned, Mynio is up to 52 in 59, while Kudryavtsev has 47 in 65. While Hunter Brzustewicz's numbers are 89 in 64, he benefits from playing on a good team with high scoring forwards. Mynio's Seattle team was a powerhouse last year but seven of their top ten scorers are gone, and their top two scorers are both defensemen.  (Hanzal and Mynio) Kudryavtsev's Soo Greyhounds bottomed out last year and are a team on the rise this year and he is fourth overall in team scoring and its top scoring defenseman. With these two guys showing promise, and Tom Willander having a solid rookie year at Boston U, the loss of Brzustewicz doesn't feel so bad.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1