[Proposal] VAN and TBL

To TBL Kuzmenko

To VAN Stamkos @ 3mil retained

It’s clear Kuzmenko’s time here is winding down, 5.5mil to have an overhead view of the game is not something we want to continue. 
Kuzmenko is in his prime and has a ton of skill/talent.

Stamkos has not been tendered an extension and he has voiced his displeasure about it. TBL is battling for a playoff spot and slowly starting to fall behind. If they are on the outside looking in, they are likely to start retooling around Kucherov

Stamkos is a pending UFA, he would most likely be just a rental, but the right kind of rental played who is also familiar with what Tocchet demands/expects from his players.

I feel Vancouver is in a great spot to convince guys like Stamkos to waive their NMC and come take another very strong run at a cup. Stamkos wants to win, we are in that conversation and its only looking up from here… in TBL they are starting to look down the hill.

TBL considers this because they get a highly skilled player in return, on a cheaper deal after this season who also fits that teams age group.

3 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

To TBL Kuzmenko

To VAN Stamkos @ 3mil retained

It’s clear Kuzmenko’s time here is winding down, 5.5mil to have an overhead view of the game is not something we want to continue. 
Kuzmenko is in his prime and has a ton of skill/talent.

Stamkos has not been tendered an extension and he has voiced his displeasure about it. TBL is battling for a playoff spot and slowly starting to fall behind. If they are on the outside looking in, they are likely to start retooling around Kucherov

Stamkos is a pending UFA, he would most likely be just a rental, but the right kind of rental played who is also familiar with what Tocchet demands/expects from his players.

I feel Vancouver is in a great spot to convince guys like Stamkos to waive their NMC and come take another very strong run at a cup. Stamkos wants to win, we are in that conversation and its only looking up from here… in TBL they are starting to look down the hill.

TBL considers this because they get a highly skilled player in return, on a cheaper deal after this season who also fits that teams age group.

I don't think there's any indication that Kuzmenko's time here is winding down. Overall, the only ones who are talking about us moving him are the media who love to engage in idle speculation because, that's what sells clicks to their articles / papers.

I am positive that teams are reaching out and asking about his availability, but I don't believe that the Canucks are actively shopping him. If someone is going to give us a reason to move him by overpaying, then it's always possible.

Right now, Canucks have been very clear that they are trying to work with Kuzmenko on his whole game, not just his undeniable ability to create offense.

If we are going to become a real playoff threat, everyone on the team needs to know how to forecheck and how to backcheck. I don't see anything going on at this point other than that.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

If they move Stamkos it'll be because they're out of the playoff race.  If they're rersinjng on him they'll get a much better retyrnbthsn a struggling player who can't stay in the lineup because he won't play D 

Bah humbug. 

Sure if their out of the playoffs race this year Waka Waka Waka  they aren't done. They"ll be hungry next year.  And I do think Kuzz would be a great fit there where he just doesn't fit here.  It sounds like TBae aren't re signing Stamkos. 

Something like we retain 1.5m so that carries over to next season for them they get Kuzz at 4m next year we get enough retention on Stamkos to fit him under our cap for this playoff push. 

I think Stamkos experience would be great to have if we're deadly serious about going deep this year. 

If we could rent Stamkos and all it cost us was Kuzz and 1.5m cap for a year I'd say worth it. 

Unrealistic to try to trade for Stamkos, he's still been elite this season even if his team falters, and there's no way Kuzmenko alone gets it done.  The way their core guys' contracts are set up, it'll be highly cost prohibitive to try and trade for one of their other guys, but if he's available I would try for Jeannot.  "Trade all the picks" jokes aside, he could be the type of heavy winger who, if slotted in with the right linemates, can be an effective add for any playoff run we have.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Pears said:

Tampa would theoretically be able to get a haul for Stamkos expiring contract or not. It'll take a lot more than just Kuzmenko. 

Not really.  He has a NMC so he can veto any trade.  IF he were to get traded it would be to a contender.  We are a contender.  What did Chicago get for Patrick Kane, who also had a NMC?  A 2nd, 3rd and a 5th round pick?  And that was with 50% retention.

I like this trade actually.  We probably have to retain on Kuzy though, Tampa doesn't have much cap space for next season which is why they are letting Stamkos walk.  

I'm thinking Allvin wants some longer term assets for Kuzy.  One thing to consider is that Stamkos is still gonna want to continue his career, so maybe he takes a discount to continue to play with Petey for another 2-3 years.  That would be something.  

I mean IF we were to get Stamkos to play with Petey, we are probably the Cup favourites this year...

Also, this trade would make Milstein happy as Kuzy can go to Florida and play with Vasi, Kucherov and Sergachev...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Vintage 2

21 minutes ago, Reg said:

I thought the team wanted players who are twenty-something not those on their mid-thirties.

They will make an exception lol.

He'll be 34 in February, he's got 3 or 4 solid years left in him points wise, at least....IMO he will be like ageless Pavelski, who is putting up 1 ppg at 39......plus there's the intangibles that he brings.

He's a superstar player, a cup winner, with all of the hardware, and with him on our roster, and a little luck on the injury front, with Demmer being a wall, we have all of the tools to win the silver can. Book it.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Pears said:

Tampa would theoretically be able to get a haul for Stamkos expiring contract or not. It'll take a lot more than just Kuzmenko. 

How many teams have the luxury of a guy like Kuzmenko who they can afford to take out of the lineup and continue winning games? Not just that, but how many teams have the cap space to acquire Stamkos without having to make any sacrifices in the top 6? How many of those teams would become contenders and how many are are already contenders? What teams would Stamkos be willing to waive to go to? Right now Stamkos holds the power, TBL risks getting nothing for him. We can facilitate this trade?

6 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

How many teams have the luxury of a guy like Kuzmenko who they can afford to take out of the lineup and continue winning games? Not just that, but how many teams have the cap space to acquire Stamkos without having to make any sacrifices in the top 6? How many of those teams would become contenders and how many are are already contenders? What teams would Stamkos be willing to waive to go to? Right now Stamkos holds the power, TBL risks getting nothing for him. We can facilitate this trade?

Boston has some cap space from LTIR. I think Stamkos would wave to go there. They could send Debrusk the other way to balance the cap plus some picks or prospects. 

Rangers and Colorado also have LTIR space. He would wave to go to these teams as well. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Vintage 1

On 12/21/2023 at 6:53 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

Boston has some cap space from LTIR. I think Stamkos would wave to go there. They could send Debrusk the other way to balance the cap plus some picks or prospects. 

Rangers and Colorado also have LTIR space. He would wave to go to these teams as well. 

It's an odd situation, that contention between someone as close to a generational player as they come (Stamkos had terrible injury luck, worse then Brock and during his prime years, breaking a leg ... was one guy who could pace Ovi, and a center when he was doing that), that a team would publicly state they'd not be re-signing a number one draft pick, who started playing right away.    Stamkos is in his 16th season already (Sedins played 17),  and has lost more the two seasons to covid and injuries, lock outs.      You'd think TB would move someone and re-sign him.     Similar to what PIT and Boston have done recently with their guys, Malkin, Crosby,  Bergeron etc, just keep him until he's ready to retire.   Or like we did with the Sedins.   

• Cheers 1

On 12/20/2023 at 10:08 PM, Sophomore Jinx said:

They will make an exception lol.

He'll be 34 in February, he's got 3 or 4 solid years left in him points wise, at least....IMO he will be like ageless Pavelski, who is putting up 1 ppg at 39......plus there's the intangibles that he brings.

He's a superstar player, a cup winner, with all of the hardware, and with him on our roster, and a little luck on the injury front, with Demmer being a wall, we have all of the tools to win the silver can. Book it.

Stamkos is a superstar.    Guy will easily end up with close to 700 goals, and would have had a shot at 800 if he didn't have so much bad luck in his career.     Would be working on his way to 700 next season...and still likely will get there on a four year deal that some team will sign him to this summer.   

• Upvote 1