[Signing] Capitals sign Ethan Bear 2 Years 2.0625 AAV

Ken Holland gave Bear a 2 year, $4.0M contract (1.5, 2.5) and in the 2nd year he was moved to Carolina.  The following year, he went to arbitration and got $2.2 and was eventually sent to Vancouver with 400k salary retained.  Now, he has signed in Wash for $2.06M.  This is what happens when 3rd pair quality D are given too much money.  It does nobody any favours.  

Credit to Allvin for not caving and paying $2M+ on a multiple year deal for a 3rd pair D.  Word was, Allvin wanted to sign him but at closer to $1M.  He let Schenn go who ended up with 3 @ 2.75 in Nashville.

• ThereItIs 2

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

Ken Holland gave Bear a 2 year, $4.0M contract (1.5, 2.5) and in the 2nd year he was moved to Carolina.  The following year, he went to arbitration and got $2.2 and was eventually sent to Vancouver with 400k salary retained.  Now, he has signed in Wash for $2.06M.  This is what happens when 3rd pair quality D are given too much money.  It does nobody any favours.  

Credit to Allvin for not caving and paying $2M+ on a multiple year deal for a 3rd pair D.  Word was, Allvin wanted to sign him but at closer to $1M.  He let Schenn go who ended up with 3 @ 2.75 in Nashville.

That's a Jim Benning type of move (eg., Poolman).

• Confused 1
  • Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I tried to tell many on here that he wasn't in our plans as he became redundant when Hronek arrived. Like many have said, we now have usable dmen who cost way less. I sure like how this management group manages this roster. 

I think it was more a case of Juulsen coming into his own that ousted Bear. If Juulsen didn't find some game the Canucks would of been more desperate for a righty like Bear. Juulsen is still a work in progress but for a tough, solid number six, seven righty, he's found money. Bear would of been battling Juulsen for the bottom spot and Alvin isn't in position to pay 2 million per year cap hit when Juulsen can do it for half that. 

• Cheers 3

6 minutes ago, Rekker said:

I think it was more a case of Juulsen coming into his own that ousted Bear. If Juulsen didn't find some game the Canucks would of been more desperate for a righty like Bear. Juulsen is still a work in progress but for a tough, solid number six, seven righty, he's found money. Bear would of been battling Juulsen for the bottom spot and Alvin isn't in position to pay 2 million per year cap hit when Juulsen can do it for half that. 

I think if Bear had a chance of making this team then you are correct. He was not getting into the top 4 unless there was injuries. He would had to have accepted a minimum entry level contract for us to sign him and I didn't see him accepting that. 

A slim to none chance he was coming back to this club.

• Cheers 1