Is Pettersson an elite/superstar forward? Is he up there with McDavid, Matthews etc?

I am just wondering how many fans consider Petey an elite forward? I feel like the Canucks have always had strong forwards but ever since Bure who I considered skill wise elite, we haven’t had a superstar since then? Thoughts? It’s weird it been so long since we have had an elite superstar. Hughes a dman is something I consider elite.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

• Canuckfanforlife82 changed the title to Is Pettersson an elite/superstar forward? Is he up there with McDavid, Matthews etc?
7 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I am just wondering how many fans consider Petey an elite forward? I feel like the Canucks have always had strong forwards but ever since Bure who I considered skill wise elite, we haven’t had a superstar since then? Thoughts? It’s weird it been so long since we have had an elite superstar. Hughes a dman is something I consider elite.

Compared to McDavid? No, he's not elite. But like the other poster has said, probably needs to define the word, to have further conversation on what it means. 

Also want to add, having followed this team mostly like it's a religion, since the late 80's almost done High School, i've only ever seen a few young players come in and just kick major butt right away.   Those guys are an 18 year old Linden, Bure who was a year younger but didn't start until he was 20 or so,  Brock's first season (a lot of years, he would have won the Calder, but was a legit all-star selection, insane accurate competition skills, and all-star MVP...folks forget how we were drooling over him at the time ... for sure a 40-50 future goal scorer right?), EP and then QHs.     That's it.    Only time I remember, having this quality and at this age, was in the early 90's once you add Ronning and Nedved.  

EPs aside from Bure, has also been the best player we've ever had, at 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 and now just starting 25.    Until he was mugged, was getting high praise. and killing it his rookie year.   Still his hottest streak.   Ten goals, ten games.   Great one even spoke a bit.   

And he was also setting records in the SHL, which has had some pretty great HHOFers come through.    

In the end, don't really care if he ends up a "super-star" or not.   Only that we sign him long term, to a fair deal that he won't struggle to meet.   And that we win a cup with him.     And am truly grateful we have him too.    He's awfully close to becoming one.   And so think, he's got a shot at some hardware, and a few selections too (first and or second, injuries happen and players regress, McDavid probably keeps hogging them for awhile yet anyways). 

Edited by IBatch
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

So better than McDavid ?  🤪

Eichel 1.   McDavid 0.    Funny how that goes right?   If the Habs drafted Dionne instead of Lafleur, Lafleur has a lot less points and Dionne has a lot more.    Plus immortalized with a statue outside the Bell center and a personal trophy case that would embarrass anyone but Gretzky, Mario and Orr.   Oh and Dionne still ended up with 400 plus more points as it is.    Watched them both, know who was better, and it's not the guy with all the hardware. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2

5 hours ago, 6YPE said:

I think he falls down too much to be "elite". He doesn't have that explosive power to me, in fact by those terms I'd say Miller is more elite than Pettersson. I suppose one would need to define "elite". 

Elite:  " A select group, that is superior in qualities or ability"  

So it does at least have the word "superior" in it.    Here is what super as a prefix means, when added to something, in this case "star".  Which i'm pretty sure nobody needs to define. 

To me anyways,  a super star, is above and beyond, greater in the extreme degree even, to the other stars.   It's not a statement of are they super compared to the generic NHLer.   It's super compared to their peer group of STARS.    You could take the top 30 in scoring, from the NHL, and call them the star players.   Plus add some more for their two-way play (Horvat for example, is/was a star in his own right as well).   And then do the defense as well, this time considering that their role is to keep the puck out of the net too, and find 30 NHL D's and call them stars.   

To be "super" means absolute cream.   Think perennial first and second all-star team selections.    Or if you're looking backwards, take Mario and Gretzky and Orr out (ultimate super-stars, they were super-DUper-stars) and see what's next.  

And for D, think Ray Borque.  

IMG_3554.png

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Is it Time to re-unite the 6 - 40 - 9 line?

IMHO Petey's line is holding him back,

It's clearly not working, There's no magic there!

6-40-9 won't work.   Maybe Miller wasn't given enough credit, we can't do a one line thing.     Kuzmenko is the key.   He's been paid to be a top six player.   Definitely, achieved that last year.     Funny how before this year, Brock was hounded.    Brock and EP ... sure.   Mikheyev slots in with Miller?    And who plays with Kuzmenko.    Think they won't mess with things just to bump EPs points, and that Kuzmenko will rebound, and it will spark EP too.    Either that, or they need to trade Kuzmenko for something else for EP.   Miller and Brock are a pair.   

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

6-40-9 won't work.   Maybe Miller wasn't given enough credit, we can't do a one line thing.     Kuzmenko is the key.   He's been paid to be a top six player.   Definitely, achieved that last year.     Funny how before this year, Brock was hounded.    Brock and EP ... sure.   Mikheyev slots in with Miller?    And who plays with Kuzmenko.    Think they won't mess with things just to bump EPs points, and that Kuzmenko will rebound, and it will spark EP too.    Either that, or they need to trade Kuzmenko for something else for EP.   Miller and Brock are a pair.   

I agree... we need to spread the wealth.... you hear it time in and time out... rolling 4 lines...

Pretty much thats what we are doing... and there are 2 player from each line that are staples

1 2  14 minutes

3 4 12 minutes

Petterson And Miller dont pick up shifts, they are the shifts...

there are a few players that pick up regular extra shifts

garland

Joshua

Lafferty

Boeser (Surprised to see he is playing more 5v5 than any other player,im guessing he and garland are picking up shifts with EP)

Bleuger

Suter

These are the bench warmers...

Aman

Kuzmenko

PDG

Hoglander

The way I see it there are a couple tiers above Pettey

The McDavid, Makar tier.  Only 2 there. The elites, head and shoulders above their piers most days. 

The MacKinnon/Heiskanen tier.  On their best days you think they belong in top tier but they are a step below the other two when look at body of work over time. 

The EP/QH tier. Amazing players with one clear flaw in their game that they frequently overcome but is sometimes capitalized on. These guys get into the trophy voting at times through their careers and often get payed like they belong in one of the tiers above.  This would include players like Huberdeau and LittleJohnny. 
I exclude goaltenders, they just are their own odd little world. 

i would say he's elite based on what he plays with. how many players in the top 10 in scoring doesn't play with the 2nd 3rd 4th 5th best skaters on the team 5v5? hughes boesers miller hronek etc? his most consistent linemate is a player that never gotten more than 32 points in his career and one that gets benched if makes a mistake in the offensive zone. you guys can complain all you want about EP but quality of linemates matters. i still don't understand the reasoning behind EP not playing with hughes/hronek 5v5 over the miller line.. EP is the scoring line and Miller is the top matchup shutdown line against other teams top player?? so wouldn't it make more sense to have your scoring line with your 2 offensive defenceman and ur shutdown line with 2 more defensive defenceman?? 

Petey was putting up points every game and often multiple points early in the season and then that stopped.

Is he distracted?  Is it contract talks?

Is he just not that good?  Can't carry a line?  Doesn't have the right line mates?  Can't produce when he is checked as if he is the Canucks most dangerous offensive weapon?

Last season he had a long period of success and scored over 100 points and he began the season even better.  Not so much now.  He is often off the score sheet.

I'm voting for Petey for the player I'm most concerned about.

You're comparing him to guys who are 1 and 2 years older and 1st round "generational" picks so that tells you all you need to know. That he's in that conversation. 

He's struggling in regard to explosive offensive success right now but still contributes. He'll get back to form and I'd hate to see that happen elsewhere. 

• Upvote 1

Definitely not generational like McDavid (I'm not convinced Matthews is, but he may prove me wrong, in time). Might be "superstar" level, but does lack a little bit of consistency to comfortably be there IMO.

When he's at his peak, scoring at a 120+ pace and with very strong defense, he's very comfortably an elite superstar talent.

Generational is such a high bar to reach I don't even really consider him for that level in my mind, the question is just "superstar" or not. I'd say most of the time, he reaches that level.

I guess when I say elite, I mean dominant and not dominant the entire game but the ability to be dominant. He’s put up points this year but I don’t recall him having a dominant game where I have been like wow. He played amazing. It just feels like this year he’s gotten points without really being visible. He’s had a lot of games where he’s done nothing but has gotten secondary assists. An elite player I feel you should have dominant games. He has in the past just not so much this year.