Carson Soucy | #7 | LD/RD

Rubik

On 9/18/2023 at 8:58 PM, Rick_theRyper said:

This guy's is going to have to pick up some of Schenns heart on the blue line!!

He will and thankfully he's BIG! He's basically what we needed so we don't get smaller by that much when giraffe is traded. 

Hope he sticks on the roster for awhile as our D prospects develop.

P.S. really high on the D-petey side of things  DP being bigger and more edge, I didn't have much of a opinion until I saw him in action, his snarl surprised me! We can use all the skilled/ snarl guys to balance our roster out.

Blueger and Lafferty were sorely needed too, and I'm excited for Mik back soon! 

Just depth and tweaks are all we need now.. not much on the tweak side thankfully but still lacking in depth but we'll get there.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Déjà Vu said:

Carson out for up to 8 weeks 😞 so either a trade in the works or they bring up a youngster

I'd be worried about the trade route IMO. Soucy is a #5D--not something we need to trade for, even for 8 weeks. If we can't handle that kind of injury, we're not a very good team.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

I'd be worried about the trade route IMO. Soucy is a #5D--not something we need to trade for, even for 8 weeks. If we can't handle that kind of injury, we're not a very good team.

Ya agree, probably why someone like hirose or juul will fill in ....guess we find out tonight........if they go the trade route, guarantee hogs is up for grabs, since rick not a fan of his 

6 minutes ago, Déjà Vu said:

Ya agree, probably why someone like hirose or juul will fill in ....guess we find out tonight........if they go the trade route, guarantee hogs is up for grabs, since rick not a fan of his 

I would expect Hirose or Wolanin to be the guy, but given they've called up Hirose, it's probably him. Juulsen is a RD, so he plays a different role than Soucy.

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Absolutely right. One thing JR has been noted for is building depth -- guys who can come in and play decently in the NHL on low cap hits.

It is too bad Brisebois has a concussion and the Wolanin has "tweaked something". But the Canucks acquired Hirose last year and this is where that signing could help out.

In the game against the Isles, Hirose won't play and Friedman (a recent pick-up) will come in and play the left side. Juulsen will play the right side. All we need is for those guys to play reliable defence against bottom-6 forwards. That is not as easy as it sounds and this is an early test of the depth signings. 

The Canucks have been looking to trade a forward and add a good D for a long time, and that search won't stop now. But I don't expect the Canucks to panic and give anything significant just for a short term gain.

I also expect Hughes and Hronek to play a lot of minutes. And we need the "good" Tyler Myers to continue to show up.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, JamesB said:

Absolutely right. One thing JR has been noted for is building depth -- guys who can come in and play decently in the NHL on low cap hits.

It is too bad Brisebois has a concussion and the Wolanin has "tweaked something". But the Canucks acquired Hirose last year and this is where that signing could help out.

In the game against the Isles, Hirose won't play and Friedman (a recent pick-up) will come in and play the left side. Juulsen will play the right side. All we need is for those guys to play reliable defence against bottom-6 forwards. That is not as easy as it sounds and this is an early test of the depth signings. 

The Canucks have been looking to trade a forward and add a good D for a long time, and that search won't stop now. But I don't expect the Canucks to panic and give anything significant just for a short term gain.

I also expect Hughes and Hronek to play a lot of minutes. And we need the "good" Tyler Myers to continue to show up.

Wolanin and Woo require waivers. You are bang on about no panic. Allvin has been talking to various GM's so a deal will come if it is there. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Rick Dhaliwal tweeted that he will be out for 3-4 weeks.

Fortunately, there is an all-star break/week in between, so he won't miss as many games as usual. But this is still a blow to our D-corp, as Soucy really stabilizes our play in our own zone. Juulsen's time to step up and play some games again.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Why do we keep breaking guys who come here???

To be fair, Soucy has never had a season where he hasn't missed games due to injury.

I'm pretty comfortable with Juulsen stepping in right now and will likely give us a little more cap flexibility going into the deadline.

Hope he's not out too long!

23 minutes ago, KingRaj91 said:

Is this a trade deadline play? Free's up about $3.5M of cap space for us to do something.

Doesn't help when Soucy returns to the lineup.  Only helps if he's gone until the playoffs...

3 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The injury was a hit to the hand, so adding 7 lbs. won't really deter that injury unless it's 7lbs. of steel on his hands.

Hopefully the Canucks don't use the same doc that totally botched Pearson's procedure, because I like Soucy.

• Vintage 1

Please don't tell me we signed another UFA to a multi-year deal who's going to spend most of it on LTIR. Ferland and Poolman were already enough (let alone the Pearson debacle last season).

I know Soucy's three injuries this season have all been something different (knee, foot, hand) but it does start to drive you a bit crazy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...