(Rumour-Eklund) Buchnevich on the Block?

I know the source, but it is an interesting idea of him as a target.

He was a centre in lower levels, but has primarily been a winger in the NHL with some stints at centre.  Big guy (though not physical), really fast skater, solid defensive play, excellent offensive numbers, plays both special teams.  Probably would line up with Petterson which gives both top lines (Miller with Boeser, assuming the lotto line doesn't stay together in the playoffs) a shooter and finisher.  He is under contract for one year beyond this at a good cap hit.

Russian player, but unfortunately not a Milstein client (Todd Diamond of the infamous Tryamkin debacles).

St. Louis are well on the outside of the playoffs now and will likely be looking to see if they can move some players as the GM has actually mentioned rebuild/retool.  They have some good young players, and likely need to build around those guys for a couple years.  Buchnevich at 28 probably doesn't fit that timeline.

He wouldn't come cheap, but I would add him to the list of targets.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

Best case scenario for the Canucks is guys like Guentzel, Buchnevich, Boone and others hit the market to keep the costs down… but Buchnevich and Boone at least have term on pretty good deals.

Zero impetuous for the teams to let them go early - if they are even available - unless someone really steps up to the plate.  

Guentzel is still the move that makes the most sense on paper - and likely no cheaper to acquire despite being a rental.

Edited by The Duke

I know management wants another forward, but this deadline would be better to find that 3D were missing with Hanifin and Chychrun very believably on the outs with their clubs. Although Chychrun is another piece with a year of term, too.

…and all assuming we could re-sign them, of course. 

Quite the bit of intrigue with our GM publicly saying he wants to reward the team by picking up some help… but not a lot of “easy” fits out there.  Throw in the fact JR/PA love to get ahead of the deadline… I don’t mind even reading the Eklund (likely bogus) rumours.  

28 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

They are keeping Robert Thomas. This thread is about them trading Buchnevich.

I can see an argument being made for either player being the best on the Blues. Regardless, they haven't shown any appetite to rebuild the team and both are core guys.

38 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

They are keeping Robert Thomas. This thread is about them trading Buchnevich.

Thomas does not put up the same level of two-way play as Buchnevich.  If Datsyuk were a winger, he would look like Buchnevich.

I have it on good authority that Buch's mother named him after Pavel Datsyuk.

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Caboose said:

I would say Buchnevich is the more valuable trade piece. I don't love the contract they gave Thomas.

With the way extentions are coming down these days it's looking mighty fine.

The guy has put up a point a game over the past 3 seasons and is only 24. Compare that to Nylander who is 1.09ppg for 3.4 million more.

Also Robert's deal only takes him to age 31, where as Nylander goes to age 36. If you are going to go long on a deal this is exactly what you want.

26 minutes ago, Caboose said:

I would say Buchnevich is the more valuable trade piece. I don't love the contract they gave Thomas.

Look at Thomas's contract, the kids 24 and is playing extremely well, that's an absolute steal of a contract and he's worth much much more than Buch.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Provost said:

I know the source, but it is an interesting idea of him as a target.

He was a centre in lower levels, but has primarily been a winger in the NHL with some stints at centre.  Big guy (though not physical), really fast skater, solid defensive play, excellent offensive numbers, plays both special teams.  Probably would line up with Petterson which gives both top lines (Miller with Boeser, assuming the lotto line doesn't stay together in the playoffs) a shooter and finisher.  He is under contract for one year beyond this at a good cap hit.

Russian player, but unfortunately not a Milstein client (Todd Diamond of the infamous Tryamkin debacles).

St. Louis are well on the outside of the playoffs now and will likely be looking to see if they can move some players as the GM has actually mentioned rebuild/retool.  They have some good young players, and likely need to build around those guys for a couple years.  Buchnevich at 28 probably doesn't fit that timeline.

He wouldn't come cheap, but I would add him to the list of targets.  

I would disregard the rumor. Eklund is almost never right. lol. 

But, if it were between Joel Ericksson Ek and Buchnevich. Who between the two do you think would cost more? And what would they cost to acquire? Willander and Lekkerimaki are no go's for me at this point. 

1 hour ago, KingRaj91 said:

Look at Thomas's contract, the kids 24 and is playing extremely well, that's an absolute steal of a contract and he's worth much much more than Buch.

He's also earning 8.1M over 8 years? 

How do we fit that under our cap issues? 

36 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Anybody willing to trade for Buchnevich if the cost would include Lekkerimaki?

For a player that calibre, you are absolutely looking at one of our top 3 Swedish prospects plus.

I would rather trade Lekkerimaki or Brzustewics than Willander or D. Petey.  Mainly because you can find middle six wingers on the market every year.  Top 4D are just really hard to find, so developing your own is better.

I think the smartest answer if you are going to full full bore is to get a cost controlled centre back though.  If we have someone of the quality of Ek or Lindholm, that takes away some leverage from the Petterson camp and gives us an out if his price gets too high.  If you have another top line centre AND get a massive haul for Petterson you could be in better shape Vs. Paying him $13 million on a 3-4 year contract 

I made a trade proposal for Buchnevich in December.  He would be a perfect piece to add up front.  Ideally, we'd prefer a pure centre, but Buchnevich can switch between centre and wing depending on if we keep the Lotto Line together.  I like Buchnevich more than Guentzel and he has another year left on his deal...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1