Elias Pettersson | #40 | C/LW

-AJ-

1 minute ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

He didn't look injured to me during practice, when he was ripping one timers during 1-on-1 drill with him, not upper body anyway...if he is injured, maybe it's in his core (slight groin pull?)...maybe a hip flexor? he certainly isn't pivoting well....

But ultimately, it's (gotten) in his head, and he needs to pull out of it if we're going to do some damage in this year's run

We are up 3-1. It’s a team. Others are pulling the rope too. Petey will break out with a five point game. Elite skill like he has will rise up. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We are up 3-1. It’s a team. Others are pulling the rope too. Petey will break out with a five point game. Elite skill like he has will rise up. 

He needs to get out of his own way and shoot more. 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

He needs to get out of his own way and shoot more. 

If he can. I worry that he's got some kind of rib/stomach so it hurts to skate and shoot. They say he's fine in practice like @Sophomore Jinx and jeff patterson said but it looks more than the yips. Mik definitely has the yips, but at least his legs are moving. 

I'd be happy if its something he can overcome and break out of but i really think it must be an injury.

Edited by OldFaithfulcap
  • Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

He didn't look injured to me during practice, when he was ripping one timers during 1-on-1 drill with him, not upper body anyway...if he is injured, maybe it's in his core (slight groin pull?)...maybe a hip flexor? he certainly isn't pivoting well....

But ultimately, it's (gotten) in his head, and he needs to pull out of it if we're going to do some damage in this year's run

I noticed that too.  He was taking repeated one-timers in practice the day before last game.  But in the games themselves, he keeps passing up the opportunity to take these shots.  If it's an injury, I'm not sure why he's taking so many of these shots in practice, but none anymore in games.

10 hours ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

If he can. I worry that he's got some kind of rib/stomach so it hurts to skate and shoot. They say he's fine in practice like @Sophomore Jinx and jeff patterson said but it looks more than the yips. Mik definitely has the yips, but at least his legs are moving. 

I'd be happy if its something he can overcome and break out of but i really think it must be an injury.

I don't see EP40 shying away from contact. What I do see is his hesitating to take shots and passing to team mates. I can see the Preds putting their shutdown lines against JT and Lindholm lines. That might give Petey more room. Suter had a lot of good looks last game. He is due. 

• Cheers 1

For what it's worth, I think Petey's been better for the last couple of games. He's doing a lot of the right things.

With the talk of Toronto approaching Marner to waive his NTC.....would you go out and get a creative set up winger for Petey?  Or a power forward type?  

I dont think any of us think that RT doesn't feel he has a player who is the duo for Petey.  

Personally want Petey to center Hogs and Pods and see how that goes. 

CAP space 2024-5

1.petersson (11.6) and Hoglander (1.1) for Brady Tkachuk (8.2) and Shane pinto (RFA)

4.5 mill in cap savings  res ing pinto at 2.00/year - 2.5 savings

CAP space = 27.25

2.Hronek for Knies (.925K) and 2024 1st TOR

2. Milky TOR 2024 1st to CHI for 2024 2nds VAN and LA

CAP SPACE $31.075

Tkachuk Miller Brock

Joshua Lindholm (6.75) Knies

Suter Pinto Garland

Podz Bluegger (2.0) PDG

Aman

Hughes Tanev (4.75)

Zads (5) Demelo (4)

Soucy Myers (3)

Demko

Silovs (1)

CAP SPACE $4.6

Pettersson is not getting traded. Period. That is not going to happen in a million Sundays.

He just signed an 8 year extension.  Give your head a shake.

And while you are at it think about the fact that his numbers in regular season in his first 6 years are miles ahead of where the Sedins were in their first 6 years. Miles ahead. His playoff numbers this year are like there's were  in their younger years.  The Sedins didn't become great playoff performers until age 27.  Petey will learn how to hack it in the playoffs and will become a point per game playoff guy in the next couple of years. He has superior talent and is a slight young guy who has to grow up and learn how to hack it in the meatgrinder that is the playoffs. Book it.

And why would you propose trading him? Your proposal assumes Ottawa will give a solid return.  If they would do the trade they obviously believe Pettersson will become the great player he will eventually grow into. Makes no sense.

He will not be traded.

Jeez.

19 hours ago, Gurn said:

9 games played

1 goal, 3 assists, minus -2.

That's cherry picking a small sample size. He has 93 pts in the 91 games he's played this season. That's more than ppg, so he's doing perfectly fine.

Am I doing this right?

2 hours ago, 43isprime said:

That's cherry picking a small sample size. He has 93 pts in the 91 games he's played this season. That's more than ppg, so he's doing perfectly fine.

Am I doing this right?

Play off games are just the same as regular season games, now?

16 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Play off games are just the same as regular season games, now?

No I was being sarcastic. Some people here think pointing out poor stretches is cherry picking (even if those stretches are for half a season) and insist on counting his stats only from the start of the season.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, 43isprime said:

No I was being sarcastic. Some people here think pointing out poor stretches is cherry picking (even if those stretches are for half a season) and insist on counting his stats only from the start of the season.

The guy is a complete enigma- super talented, and could end up being the best forward we ever had; yet goes on these horrible stretches.

Really starting to remind me of Patrik Sundstrom, so much talent, and when 'on', an exceptional player, but mostly played at 'slightly better than good".

A Lot of cap space, and a lot of years, at stake here.

Hope he get's it together.

Will add- I would not be surprised to see a meg trade, with Petey leaving.

Too much pressure? Too many expectations? Just a wrong mix? I don't know.

I would settle for a b level player, that is almost always a b level, rather than a guy that is part time A plus, and part time C level.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Gurn said:

The guy is a complete enigma- super talented, and could end up being the best forward we ever had; yet goes on these horrible stretches.

Really starting to remind me of Patrik Sundstrom, so much talent, and when 'on', an exceptional player, but mostly played at 'slightly better than good".

A Lot of cap space, and a lot of years, at stake here.

Hope he get's it together.

Will add- I would not be surprised to see a meg trade, with Petey leaving.

Too much pressure? Too many expectations? Just a wrong mix? I don't know.

I would settle for a b level player, that is almost always a b level, rather than a guy that is part time A plus, and part time C level.

People who labeled his contract a discount or team-friendly fixate only on his best stretches and write off his poor stretches as either minor slumps or attribute them to injury.

They insist on only looking at the season-long sample that includes productive stretches in order to dilute 10-game samples when he looks ordinary to flat-out poor.

I hope the playoffs are helping them realize how important it is to have a player you can count on to show up every game and not disappear for stretches at a time. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Petey is my favorite player but he is invisible  and seems to be in constant fear out there.  Tocchet looked pissed off with Petey last night but I'm not sure if yelling at Petey is the right course of action.  Tocchet should talk to Bruce Boudreau to see how to get Pettersson rolling.  Go Canucks Go

Petey isn't hurting the team and is providing a lot of defensive support.

We won't know what's really going on with him until after the playoffs.  I don't want to

make judgments on his game until we see the entire picture.

Whatever the case, he will likely need a reset this summer and hopefully get some

professional help with his off season training.

Petey is the type that will be very disappointed with his game over the last couple of months

and will work endlessly to restore his game.  Whether this set back is physical, emotional or

both; he will surely recover and bring his game back for the season opener.  Have some faith!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, higgyfan said:

We won't know what's really going on with him until after the playoffs.  I don't want to

Whatever the case, he will likely need a reset this summer and hopefully get some

Petey is the type that will be very disappointed with his game over the last couple of months

and will work endlessly to restore his game.  Whether this set back is physical, emotional or

both; he will surely recover and bring his game back for the season opener.  Have some faith!

Season opener? Wtf, we’re in the playoffs. Pettersson needs to suck it up, stop sulking and work hard, use the elbows, spear someone in the balls. Do SOMETHING! His press conference disclosed he is not happy with his wingers and that is completely understandable. They suck, especially Mikheyev. Personally I think he would play better if he has a body guard out there. He should be pissed that no one went after Nurse after that clown damn near killed him. That would never happen with the Bruins, Panthers, Rangers. He’s built like Gretzky, weighs about 170 and he needs protection. It’s nuts that the GM & coach have not covered this. We are not built for playoffs - too small, too inoffensive. I don’t think we even have toughness in Abby or elsewhere and that is a big problem. 

8 hours ago, DavidGoliath said:

Season opener? Wtf, we’re in the playoffs. Pettersson needs to suck it up, stop sulking and work hard, use the elbows, spear someone in the balls. Do SOMETHING! His press conference disclosed he is not happy with his wingers and that is completely understandable. They suck, especially Mikheyev. Personally I think he would play better if he has a body guard out there. He should be pissed that no one went after Nurse after that clown damn near killed him. That would never happen with the Bruins, Panthers, Rangers. He’s built like Gretzky, weighs about 170 and he needs protection. It’s nuts that the GM & coach have not covered this. We are not built for playoffs - too small, too inoffensive. I don’t think we even have toughness in Abby or elsewhere and that is a big problem. 

FA8A189A-BE8E-41D7-AC90-10069DD53AAC.gif.6ade2762cefb6503479a9e2984dffeb5.gif

21 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Put him on a 3rd line but still give him PP time. Take the pressure off and have him play 15 - 17 minutes. I agree with you that we won't know what is going on till after playoffs. 

Funny how his contract generates a lot of negative comment when fans could look at Hronek's playoffs and wonder why his game has fallen off. 

29 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Put him on a 3rd line but still give him PP time. Take the pressure off and have him play 15 - 17 minutes. I agree with you that we won't know what is going on till after playoffs. 

Funny how his contract generates a lot of negative comment when fans could look at Hronek's playoffs and wonder why his game has fallen off. 

His line has been the third line all playoffs. He gets snuck in on other lines at times but clearly the Lindholm line is the second line and a good one. 
Will be curious what is there, they insist it isn’t an injury. While he looks just like he did when he had a lingering wrist injury (and yes he was less stable on his feet then too)he also has that incredibly disengaged look that Brock had last couple of years while dealing with personal issues. 
Hronek definitely has had a major drop off since about middle part of the season. I think lots on here have commented on it but it isn’t as staggering as EP’s drop off because he didn’t start from as high a point and the drop off hasn’t been as steep. A first-second pairing D does not have the expectations of a franchise player that EP’s contract says he is.  I do trade Hronek if the number is over $7M. I think there are better options at that cost and we need Zads and Dak back.  I would prioritize Lindholm over Hronek too. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/4/2024 at 11:19 AM, -AJ- said:

For what it's worth, I think Petey's been better for the last couple of games. He's doing a lot of the right things.

Yeah, he's looked marginally better but let's be honest - absolutely nowhere close to what is expected of him. 

They say he isn't injured, and I doubt Tocchet would have made the comments he did unless that were true. There was talk of him being sick, so I'm guessing that might be playing a factor? I know when I'm sick, energy level goes waaaay down - and he certainly does appear to lack energy. With that said, it may well just be a total lack of confidence, which would also lead a player to perform poorly and hesitantly. Whenever these playoffs come to an end for our team, I'd be interested to hear if he really was battling a physical ailment.