Which Canucks Alumni Would you Add and Who Would you Drop

While we wait for the next game to start ...

Came across an interesting article --> https://canucksarmy.com/news/which-canuck-nhl-prime-bure-add-team-canucks-conversation which discusses which Canucks in his prime would you add to this team other than Bure or someone off of the 2011 team.

Rules: No Bure or anyone off of the 2011 Team

From the title alone, one of the names that sprung to mind right away for me was Bertuzzi. At 245 lbs and 6'-3" or 6'-4", the 2000 - 2005 Bertuzzi was a true power forward and an element that currently isn't on this team for sure. During his prime, Bertuzzi was very hard to handle by any defenceman when he had the puck on his stick and a determination to go straight to the net. Our current version of Canucks do not have that type of player - Miller, while a great player, shows flashes of that but isn't really that prototypical PF player. 

For me, putting prime Bertuzzi on Miller's line with Boeser would add an element and dimension that is missing which would absolutely be a missing ingredient needed to get to the SCF.

Who would I drop to make room - not Mik ... someone from the lower 6 to put Mik on Petey's line, so probably PDG.

Honourable mention instead of Bertuzzi - Geoff Courtnall or Alex Burrows (yes I cheated a bit on this one - my bad) so instead of Burrows, Greg Adams. Not power forwards in the Bertuzzi mold but gritty guys that played big and showed up at crunch time. 

This would be my pick(s). Your thoughts?

PS. Cam Neely, while a Canucks briefly, isn't in this "selection" category as I seem him more as a Bruin ... oh but had he remained a Canuck.

Edited by Rocket-68

• Rocket-68 changed the title to Which Canucks Alumni Would you Add and Who Would you Drop

Linden.  Leadership, able to play up and down the lineup, toughness, will buy into the system.  If too obvious, I'll go with Tiger Williams for his toughness and underrated scoring touch.  Dropping PDG.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Like 3

Add Bure. We still lack a top 6 forward and he’d fit in well with either Miller or Pettersson.

I’d drop Aman. I don’t think anything is there. With PDG, at least he brings some grit.

• Cheers 2

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Snoop Hogg said:

Add Bure. We still lack a top 6 forward and he’d fit in well with either Miller or Pettersson.

I’d drop Aman. I don’t think anything is there. With PDG, at least he brings some grit.

if allowed, definitely agree, but the "rules" state no Bure (would be on most peoples list) or anyone off of the 2011 Team (i.e., Sedins, Kesler, Bieksa, Luongo, etc.) But I would agree prime Bure would be unreal on either Miller's or Petey's line.

Edited by Rocket-68

Just now, Rocket-68 said:

if allowed, definitely agree, but the "rules" state no Bure (would be on most peoples list) or anyone off of the 2011 Team (i.e., Sedins, Kesler, Bieksa, Luongo, etc.) But I would agree prime Bure would unreal on either Miller's or Petey's line.

Hmm. I didn’t actually read that tbh. I’ll do that now and update my answer.

• Cheers 1

Trevor Linden.

This team seems to be lacking some veteran savvy who can calm the team down with presence, but also make a big play whether a hit, goal, block, big faceoff, and true grit. Our team seems very green and unproven. A proven veteran like him would have been huge.

I also think of Geoff Courtnall or Todd Bertuzzi. A mixture of snarl, scoring acumen, and initmidation. They would go well on Petey's wing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

Linden was my first choice, even ahead of Bure or the 2011 group. Encapsulated everything it meant to be a Canuck and had the experience going to the cup finals *as a leader,* so he'd be the perfect mentor for any of these guys. I wonder if the team would be able to bring him on in a mentor capacity to talk to the guys, although I imagine that bridge is burned. 

• Cheers 1

Ohlund and Jovo are great adds, though by removing Myers, you lose a RHD and add a LHD, which could be an issue. Remove a guy like Cole instead to keep the LHD/RHD balance.

Linden also immediately sprung to mind along with Bertuzzi and Naslund.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, brownky said:

Add: Sergio Momesso.

Drop: Phil Di Giuseppe.

I love Phil, but Sergio was an animal. I'd wager there's a few here too young to quite remember just what a machine he was, but he was *the* definition of big, angry, physical grinder who could still put up points when given the chance.

He could scrap, wouldn't take any guff from anybody and god help you if you took a cheap shot on anybody on the ice but could still skate despite his size.

Literally built for the playoffs. He's an old-time Tom Wilson, from a time when there were a few of them.

He was my neighbor when I was a kid..Played street hockey with him and he hooked me up with a bunch of Nucks things, still have some of it!

Word of advice, never play goalie when you are playing street hockey with an NHLer! I may still have bruises!

Edited by Canuck You
  • Like 3
  • Cheers 1

Bertuzzi on one wing and Bure on the other. That isn’t even a hard question. 
‘Since need to exclude Bure for some reason I would probably go Mogilny assuming we are talking their peak performances. 

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Vintage 1

Are we talking their peak NHL or peak Canucks play? Mats Sundin in his prime would be aces, but if we’re talking about adding them as they were when they played for us, I got to go with dropping Aman and adding Brashier. Tough as nails and a locker room Fav.

• ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, NorthWestNuck said:

Are we talking their peak NHL or peak Canucks play? Mats Sundin in his prime would be aces, but if we’re talking about adding them as they were when they played for us, I got to go with dropping Aman and adding Brashier. Tough as nails and a locker room Fav.

He tended to pick his fights a fair bit imho.  Give me Ron Delorme.  A less capable fighter but he *NEVER* failed to accept the challenge in taking on the league heavyweights.  As much grief I give Delorme as an amateur scout, there isn't a former Canuck player I wouldn't want more watching my back when entering a dark alley than Ron Delorme (Gino would obviously be the other guy I told in the same regards).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, NorthWestNuck said:

in THIS case I'd take a prime time Cam Neely over a lot of these. Boy put him on Petey's line and watch out. 

more realistic though, I'd take Willie Mitchel on D taking out Meyers, even though he's a lefty. Big, physical stay at home D-man. 

and I'd take Linden or Smyl for a forward, droppiing Aman/Blueger for the scoring touch/physicality. 

• Cheers 1

Bertuzzi is obviously the best choice. Playmaking pwf is something we've needed for 20 years. 

Aside from Bert  and following the rules I'll go with Jovocop. While Ohlund Salo Bieka were very good I think Jovocop would best complement this core. At fwd the only choice is Linden runner up would be Mogilny. 

HM Sundestrom. 

Love Nazzy not sure where he would fit though. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, FlippersUp said:

Bertuzzi is obviously the best choice. Playmaking pwf is something we've needed for 20 years. 

Aside from Bert  and following the rules I'll go with Jovocop. While Ohlund Salo Bieka were very good I think Jovocop would best complement this core. At fwd the only choice is Linden runner up would be Mogilny. 

HM Sundestrom. 

Love Nazzy not sure where he would fit though. 

Not sure how I didn't think of Mogilny. When he was good, he was amazing.

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Not sure how I didn't think of Mogilny. When he was good, he was amazing.

Probably like me, wasn't a Canucks for long enough with great seasons (5 seasons with the first one being amazing and injuries plaguing the other 4). But absolutely yes, when he was firing on all cylinders, Alexander The Great was a force - silky hands and very smooth skater, HoF worthy player at just over a ppg even with the health issues that came up on the back 9 of his career.

Edited by Rocket-68

11 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Trevor Linden.

This team seems to be lacking some veteran savvy who can calm the team down with presence, but also make a big play whether a hit, goal, block, big faceoff, and true grit. Our team seems very green and unproven. A proven veteran like him would have been huge.

I also think of Geoff Courtnall or Todd Bertuzzi. A mixture of snarl, scoring acumen, and initmidation. They would go well on Petey's wing.

Yeah, Linden without a doubt.  If you want this team to excel in the playoffs, Linden is the guy you want.  He's one of the few players I've ever seen that actually elevates his playoffs game above his regular season game (his PPG in the playoffs is higher than the regular season). 

Having Miller and Linden leading the charge along with what we have now, we'd win a Cup.  I'm certain of it.  Linden nearly dragged the Canucks all the way in Game 7 against the NYR in 1994.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1