I think it's pretty plain to see during this playoff run. With the way our line up is currently constructed Pete is kind of in no man's land with wingers like Mikheyev, Lafferty. I think realistically Hronek and Boeser are pieces with the market value and cap hits to make the needed cap room and return the pieces we need to make this team a sustained contender. Especially if we go deep and they show well. 

Proposal:

Out: Brock Boeser

In: Mid 1st (Jiricek/Iginla/Nygard/Yak/Helenius/Hemming/)+ Prospect, cap space

Out:  Hronek, 1st, Lekkerimaki. Maybe 3 way deal?

In: Brady Tkachuck 

Signed: Chris Tanev 

image.thumb.png.0ccc7610a6d8c65166b91a073c1593f9.png

Theres a little wiggle room on cap. If Blueger happens to be a cap casualty that's unfortunate but I feel like MGMT have shown the ability to plug holes when needed.  

Go Canucks Go. 

Edited by Hammertime
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/28/2024 at 1:22 PM, Hammertime said:

I think it's pretty plain to see during this playoff run. With the way our line up is currently constructed Pete is kind of in no man's land with wingers like Mikheyev, Lafferty. I think realistically Hronek and Boeser are pieces with the market value and cap hits to make the needed cap room and return the pieces we need to make this team a sustained contender. Especially if we go deep and they show well. 

Proposal:

Out: Brock Boeser

In: Mid 1st (Jiricek/Iginla/Nygard/Yak/Helenius/Hemming/)+ Prospect, cap space

Out:  Hronek, 1st, Lekkerimaki. Maybe 3 way deal?

In: Brady Tkachuck 

Signed: Chris Tanev 

image.thumb.png.0ccc7610a6d8c65166b91a073c1593f9.png

Theres a little wiggle room on cap. If Blueger happens to be a cap casualty that's unfortunate but I feel like MGMT have shown the ability to plug holes when needed.  

Go Canucks Go. 

i think with this situation we still remain a 2 line team. only this time itll be lindholm without good linemates instead of EP.

personally i think we should give hronek his QO, its like 5.2m or something and see if he can hold his own on his own pair. 

also think silovs takes the backup job, no need to re-sign desmith. 

would keep lekerimakki, hes got a shot at coming in and being a top-6 forward next year or the year after, on an ELC. that would be insanely valuable for us. 

realistically we COULD buyout mikheyev. his cap hit isnt too bad. we may even be able to squeeze in toffoli if he took 4m a year. 

we let blueger go to free up some cash too. 

image.thumb.png.d677490b1809a6f449cc64670c7cc331.png

32 minutes ago, HarbularyBattery said:

i think with this situation we still remain a 2 line team. only this time itll be lindholm without good linemates instead of EP.

personally i think we should give hronek his QO, its like 5.2m or something and see if he can hold his own on his own pair. 

would keep lekerimakki, hes got a shot at coming in and being a top-6 forward next year or the year after, on an ELC. that would be insanely valuable for us. 

realistically we COULD buyout mikheyev. his cap hit isnt too bad. we may even be able to squeeze in toffoli if he took 4m a year. 

Hronek can refuse to sign his QO and opt for arbitration.  It's unlikely he ends up getting less than $7-$7.5m in that case. 

57 minutes ago, HarbularyBattery said:

Hronek isn't signing a QO.

I could see us targeting someone like Konechney, Thachuck, Tuch, Crouse, Vatrano to ride shotty with Pete. Someone with a motor that gets their nose dirty and creates chaos around the crease. Thats what Pete needs. Mikheyev is practically in a coma I'd rather see Arshdeep than any more of Mikheyev.  

15 hours ago, JIAHN said:

I am still of the mind that Pettersson is the guy who goes....

A 11.6 million dollar player needs to produce at a high level

needs to be a threat every time on the ice........

A Tkachuk for Pettersson trade does so much for us

It won't happen. But yeah you gotta feel like Brady Tkachuk would be an upgrade on Petey's performance in these playoffs.

Add in a trade of Hronek + Mikheyev for a pick or a big young forward (e.g. Voronkov). Sign some UFAs to fill the gaps and you got something like this next season:

image.thumb.png.0dffdaf0b500bb3f566221107c5f8523.png

Brady Thakchuk will be going to NJD for Mercer, Nemec, 1st +, imho.

He just bought a house there, his wife is from there, and apparently it’s known that’s where he wants to go if he’s going to be traded. 

That said, he has no control over a deal because his NMC doesn’t kick in until 25-26.

On 4/28/2024 at 9:13 PM, BPA said:

Still want to trade Brock after he got a hat-trick to force OT and Lindholm getting the OT winner?

I think missing out on a mid round 1st this year would be a mistake given Petey and Hughes will be in their prime for another 6+years.

Brock has a lot of cap attached to him and could command that return. His cap would cover both Joshua and Lindholm raises with cash leftover. The main thing is we are going to have big problems if we don't get the right players to play with Pete. IMO we haven't seen the best of Hoglander yet he can score. We need someone to get them the puck. If youre gung ho on keeping Brock and pushing your chips in to win now. I could see us trying to build a deal around Hronek for one of Tuch, Crouse. @Sabrefan1 Hronek with Dahlen/Power how would you feel about that if Tuch was coming back?

In this example I went with Crouse Arizona has no D Hronek at least gives Utah a starting point. Young top pair RHD with a big shot. They have Simashev and likely Silayev too. 

To Utah Puddytats Hronek +/-

To Van Crouse +/-

I assume there will be a cost to dump Mikheyev. 

image.thumb.png.b7767ef339764868d79a9e59ed4a05ae.png

I feel like if the big ticket is attainable (Brady) you go for it. He's likely tight with Huggy and other's by association. 

Whether it's Hoglander or Lekkerimaki who ends up riding with Pete scoring the 3rd guy on that trio is going to be the guy in the corners. If we can't get Brady so be it we go down the list. But JR/Alvin should be heavily invested rn in finding the appropriate partner for Pete going fwd. 

I think very highly of Podz and Bains but they are about 1-2 years away from being impact players.  

2 hours ago, Hammertime said:

I think missing out on a mid round 1st this year would be a mistake given Petey and Hughes will be in their prime for another 6+years.

Brock has a lot of cap attached to him and could command that return. His cap would cover both Joshua and Lindholm raises with cash leftover. The main thing is we are going to have big problems if we don't get the right players to play with Pete. IMO we haven't seen the best of Hoglander yet he can score. We need someone to get them the puck. If youre gung ho on keeping Brock and pushing your chips in to win now. I could see us trying to build a deal around Hronek for one of Tuch, Crouse. @Sabrefan1 Hronek with Dahlen/Power how would you feel about that if Tuch was coming back?

In this example I went with Crouse Arizona has no D Hronek at least gives Utah a starting point. Young top pair RHD with a big shot. They have Simashev and likely Silayev too. 

To Van Crouse +/-

I feel like if the big ticket is attainable (Brady) you go for it. He's likely tight with Huggy and other's by association. 

Whether it's Hoglander or Lekkerimaki who ends up riding with Pete scoring the 3rd guy on that trio is going to be the guy in the corners. If we can't get Brady so be it we go down the list. But JR/Alvin should be heavily invested rn in finding the appropriate partner for Pete going fwd. 

I think very highly of Podz and Bains but they are about 1-2 years away from being impact players.  

I'm visiting my parents for Mother's Day.  I'll get to your proposal when I get back home later today. 

Now that the old Sabres coach has been canned,  I actually think the Canucks should go for Jordan Greenway.  6' 6" 230 lbs., would hammer opponents in the playoffs and could probably be had for less than the Sabres paid for him.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hammertime said:

To Van Crouse +/-

Miller + Boeser combo is working.  So I’m hesitant to split that up.  I’d be Ok trading Hronek to get the forward for EP.  Not sure if Hronek is worth what he’ll be asking for.  

6 hours ago, Hammertime said:

Hronek is going to command a QO of over 5 million after this season is done.  The AAV will be much more than that to sign him past his RA status.  That's the first problem since the Sabres already have a lot tied up long term in their defence.

Mattias Samuelsson, who was having a good season, will be fully healed from his injury by the start of next season so he'll help shore up the top 4 and he's still cheap on the books.  That leaves the bottom pairing which is easy enough to fill with young players. 

The Sabres need one or two more solid two way forwards who have a scoring touch so trading away Tuch, who will likely give the Sabres a hometown discount come contract time, would be counter-productive. 

The biggest problem that the Sabres have is inconsistent goaltending and consistent 2-way forward play.  Their defence is probably the only thing that's looking good for next season.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sabrefan1 said:

Hronek is going to command a QO of over 5 million after this season is done.  The AAV will be much more than that to sign him past his RA status.  That's the first problem since the Sabres already have a lot tied up long term in their defence.

Mattias Samuelsson, who was having a good season, will be fully healed from his injury by the start of next season so he'll help shore up the top 4 and he's still cheap on the books.  That leaves the bottom pairing which is easy enough to fill with young players. 

The Sabres need one or two more solid two way forwards who have a scoring touch so trading away Tuch, who will likely give the Sabres a hometown discount come contract time, would be counter-productive. 

The biggest problem that the Sabres have is inconsistent goaltending and consistent 2-way forward play.  Their defence is probably the only thing that's looking good for next season.

4 hours ago, Sabrefan1 said:

I actually think the Canucks should go for Jordan Greenway.  6' 6" 230 lbs., would hammer opponents in the playoffs and could probably be had for less than the Sabres paid for him.

Would love to get Greenway. There isn't much of a package that makes sense from the canucks he would be purely money in with picks/prospects going out. I could only see this scenario if Dakota doesn't re up in Van. 

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Hammertime said:

Would love to get Greenway. There isn't much of a package that makes sense from the canucks he would be purely money in with picks/prospects going out. I could only see this scenario if Dakota doesn't re up in Van. 

The Sabres paid a 2 and a 5 for him because the now fired head coach wanted him.  I'd imagine the Sabres GM would be happy to get a 2 back for him if Lindy Ruff decides Greenway isn't in the future of the lineup.  My guess is that the Sabres keep him because he's a tough nosed hard worker, but it's Ruff's show now, not Granato.

Like you said though, where do you fit his 3M AAV cap hit. 

• Cheers 1

19 hours ago, BPA said:

Miller + Boeser combo is working.  So I’m hesitant to split that up.  I’d be Ok trading Hronek to get the forward for EP.  Not sure if Hronek is worth what he’ll be asking for.  

Trading Hronek and walking Myers, leaves Juulsen as the only natural RD on the team.  Securing a 1st and 2nd

RD will cost a lot.  It's hard to see how the team even maintains their defense with both those guys departing.

They will have to utilize much of the salary savings of Hronek/Myers to upgrade the D.