[Proposal] Summer Shake-up

Y'know, Petey's probably going through the same kind of thing that plagued Boeser and Garland last year, and once they fix that you're going to regret trading him.  Also don't get why we trade for Lysell and don't even give him a shot but block his way with 3(!) high-priced wingers.  Not going to pretend like I know how to quantify the values in the 2nd trade (some say #1 goalies aren't worth much esp. not for blue-chip prospects, but Jersey's also in a bind so they could wish for a bonafide #1 ahead of Allen, but probably not at the cost of trading Nemec, maybe they would rather trade Mercer?  Swayman coming in should be an unproven entity that counts as a lateral move at best, and not at the cost of moving Petey so we can re-sign Lindholm after 1 game's success). 

Most embarrassing superstar to ever suit up for this team? His play has been crap since the all star break and I would trade him, but that’s a real stretch to make that kind of statement. 

This is a team that’s had Messier and Sundin when they’re both past their primes. In fairness to Sundin, I believe he did put the effort in, but he just didn’t have enough gas left in the tank.

You could also include Todd Bertuzzi on that list, because of the Steve Moore incident. 

Yet, Elias Pettersson is more embarrassing than those examples? Come on. 

• Cheers 2

He has very little speed out there.  Perhaps he's injured?  When they showed the clip of him working on his shot, he looked like he barely put anything into it.  

I wouldn't put much into it right now.  If this is what we see for multiple playoff years, it will not be a good look....but I'm thinking he's just fighting his body right now.

With all of that said, I've posted this many times......his salary will be the end of this team unless the cap goes up very quickly.  Hughes will get the same amount (right now he's worth much more than what EP should be making).  Other guys look at EP's as a benchmark and wonder why they get scraps.  I was really hopeful EP would have signed for just shy of $10M/yr to back up his "I want to play on a winning team".  Right now he looks like the biggest winner.....whether the team wins or loses.

It's pretty clear (and always has been) that guys like JT Miller are made for the playoffs.....hate to say it, but Marchand types too.  EP is not that type of player so that's a lot of loot to spend on one guy who's not built for the playoffs.  One can only hope the Sedins can help him out with this.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

He has very little speed out there.  Perhaps he's injured?  When they showed the clip of him working on his shot, he looked like he barely put anything into it.  

I wouldn't put much into it right now.  If this is what we see for multiple playoff years, it will not be a good look....but I'm thinking he's just fighting his body right now.

With all of that said, I've posted this many times......his salary will be the end of this team unless the cap goes up very quickly.  Hughes will get the same amount (right now he's worth much more than what EP should be making).  Other guys look at EP's as a benchmark and wonder why they get scraps.  I was really hopeful EP would have signed for just shy of $10M/yr to back up his "I want to play on a winning team".  Right now he looks like the biggest winner.....whether the team wins or loses.

It's pretty clear (and always has been) that guys like JT Miller are made for the playoffs.....hate to say it, but Marchand types too.  EP is not that type of player so that's a lot of loot to spend on one guy who's not built for the playoffs.  One can only hope the Sedins can help him out with this.

Chew on this

image.jpeg.6b9a3b7edaf5654a18ba08eeb98d0cef.jpeg

5 hours ago, YourTimeisNow said:

Elias Pettersson is perhaps the most embarrassing “superstar” to ever suit up for this team. I’m beseeching management to please move away from him while you can. Those of us who have been diehard fans for decades do not want to see another 10 years of playoff mediocrity. 

Unfortunately, to also ensure that doesn’t happen we need a number 1 goalie that isn’t chronically injured at key moments.

To that end here are two trades I’d pursue this off-season.

Trade #1:

Pettersson to Boston for Swayman, Lysell and a 2nd.

Trade #2:

Demko and Boston’s 2nd to New Jersey for Simon Nemec.

Then I’d pursue resigning Lindholm (who has the looks of being a decent playoff performer), as well as a big name free agent winger, like Guentzel or Debrusk. I wonder if we went with a higher AAV, would Lindholm go for a lower term, so that we only had that contract for 5 or 6 years.

This then would be the line-up, which I’d be super comfortable with for the next number of playoff years…It’s well-balanced, rugged, and gives us some cap flexibility to add at next year’s deadline, or swap out big Z for Cole, etc etc.

Mikheyev-Miller-Boeser = 4.75 + 8 + 6.7 = 19.45
Hoglander-Lindholm-Guentzel= 1.2 + 8 + 8 = 17.2
Joshua-Blueger-Garland = 3.5 + 2.5 + 5 = 11
PDG-Suter-Podkolzin = .775 + 1.6 + 1 = 3.375
Aman = .825

Hughes-Nemec = 7 + 1 = 8
Soucey-Hronek = 3.25 + 7 = 10.25
Cole-Myers = 3 + 4 = 7
Juulsen = .775

Swayman = 5 
Shilovs = 1

OEL buyout = 2.4

Total = 85.5

THIS IS WHEN AS A FAN YOU NEED TO BE EVEN KEEL ALSO...NO NEED TO EVEN WASTE YOUR TIME OR BRAIN ON BASHING THIS TOPIC..WHO CARES..WHY EVEN BOTHER NOW...NOT SMART FAN...NOT A CANUCK FAN...BETTER TO JUST PRETEND THIS DOES NOT EVEN EXIST..BYE

Understand your desire to move-on from Pettersson, however I'm afraid you over-value him as a player. That said I have no idea what a realistic trade would look like. Why not wait for next year to see what how he performs. Then the team can make an assessment about his long-term viability.

• Optimist Prime changed the title to [Proposal] Summer Shake-up

I'm as frustrated with Petey as anybody, but there's a difference between being angry with his play right now, and anticipating that he will get back to his elite level play eventually. 

As of this moment, he has been simply bad these playoffs.  There's no sugar coating it.  Playing nowhere near the $7M+ of his cap hit. 

HOWEVER, it would be foolish to think he's not gonna mature and grow out of this funk and become that elite superstar we've seen from him.  We went through this with the Sedins.  You could see the talent is there, but they need to mature into it. 

If you MUST trade Petey, now is also a terrible time to do it.  Talk about selling low lol.

• Like 1

Too soon to think about trading EP.  In the regular season, he’s still a 90-100pt player.  Maybe he’s injured as some have speculated.  Maybe he’ll find his magic touch again as the playoffs continue.

BUT if EP was traded, it would be for a star player back.