[Second Round] Vancouver Canucks (P1) vs. Edmonton Oilers (P2)

Who will win the series?  

330 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Canucks in 7
    • Canucks in 6
    • Canucks in 5
    • Canucks in 4
    • Oilers in 4
    • Oilers in 5
    • Oilers in 6
    • Oilers in 7

7 hours ago, Grinch said:

Everyone talks about McDavid diving but we forget we our own guy going down as well

Since when Diving and Going down / Falling down are the same thing? I guess I don't know hockey anymore. I've been referring to them as two different things.

What dictionary you've been using? Please care to share? I am just curious to learn and expand my vocab 🙂

Under the impression I was under, you can build strength and avoid falling / going down easy. But I don't know if any body strengthening would help prevent diving. 

McDavid is definitely an incredible player (credit due where it's due) but when things don't go his way and he tries to draw penalties by diving just makes you wonder if his salary cap isn't enough? that he needs to tryout for upcoming summer olympics diving team. 

• Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

I want this clip to be blaring in the locker room.  Use it 

The Canucks don't need to listen to this non-factor of a human being to get ready for the series. There's nothing motivational about listening to a deranged person.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

This guy looks like he sleeps with a night light.

Hope I get to see him in real life one day. Lots of tough words from this shrimp, 

im gonna start using this line everywhere i can lol 😂

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Hope I get to see him in real life one day. Lots of tough words from this shrimp, 

he played at 6'4" 210lbs, but he looks so enfeebled by either alcohol or oxy (or both) that I wouldn't be too concerned. 

3 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

If the Canucks are allowed to play a physical game they can win this series.  If the refs don't allow the Canucks big defence play a physical game they'll be killed on the PP.  It all comes down to what the refs want.  Tocchet alluded to this, in being allowed to play. 

Regardless of what the refs do, I don't want to go down like 2011. We go down fighting and not just turtle at every turn, in hopes that the refs are going to make a call. I don't care if Z or Myers gets penalties for roughing up the Oilers, at least we go down with our heads held high.

Lets not make the same mistake twice.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • chaos 1

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Good grief.   One of the slowest teams in the league? Lost me there.   We have  a mobile and big defense.   NSH would have taken EDM to six and half of them would be limping right now.   We won't have the same issues against EDM.   As long as we don't end up in the box a lot. 

name the fastest players on our team

5 hours ago, PeteyBOI said:

i know im gonna catch heat for this post and i dont care, Oilers are better than the predators by a mile, this will be a very tough match up.

ask yourself how often do we win the pucks when its dumped in? this is why we HAD to have hughes and our D join the rushes vs nashville.

we are one of the slowest teams in the league... only garland and miller can attack with any resemblance of speed... i would say mikeyhev too but he is a enigma, whenever he touches the puck its guaranteed to hit the goalie right in the crest.

im pretty sure we lose in 6

This not true at all. They have Joshua Blueger Hoglander Lafferty PDG and Mik too was finding his legs. All capable of getting to the puck and body quickly. There's literally someone at least one play on every line that can pressure the puck. The fact you didn't mention Hoggy means you trolling or just don't pay attention at all. 

• Cheers 1

Lol I had a friend who was talking just a little too much smack after the Oilers 2006 run.  I promised him that Vancouver would be back to the finals before them and they were.  Could be twice after this year!

Ryan Whitney reminded me of that because he played for the Oilers back when they really sucked. (And we didn’t)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

This not true at all. They have Joshua Blueger Hoglander Lafferty PDG and Mik too was finding his legs. All capable of getting to the puck and body quickly. There's literally someone at least one play on every line that can pressure the puck. The fact you didn't mention Hoggy means you trolling or just don't pay attention at all. 

The Oil struggle with speed when McD isn’t on the ice.  It was commented on quite a bit when he was out of their lineup.  Our game against them was no exception.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, tas said:

he played at 6'4" 210lbs, but he looks so enfeebled by either alcohol or oxy (or both) that I wouldn't be too concerned. 

Yeah he makes 6'4 look shrimpy, feeble, and shakey. 

Not that I would, cause I'm super nice, but I could fold that kid like laundry. 

I would however ask him to apologise for his very rude, incorrect, out burst about our team and fans. 

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, HKSR said:

What's with people on here trying to claim their superiority of hockey knowledge based on playing the game at an amateur albeit organized level? 

Anyways, I digress.  Embellishment doesn't necessarily mean you're doing anything illegal in the first place.  A clear example is a stick that gets lifted and hits a guy's chest and now the player throws his head back like he got hit in the head.  So what's said player to do? Not check a player stick to stick in fear that his stick will get lifted to chest level and thereby an embellishment by the player throwing his head back? 

Another example, defending the front of the net in the crease area.  Boxing out generally requires preventing a player from standing in the crease.  How exactly do you push a guy out of the crease without touching him? In which case, said player embellishes and goes down like a sack of bricks.  Again, what do you do? Let them crowd the crease and get first dibs on rebounds? 

Brutal tactic if we play worried about embellishments.  Like I said, we would get steam rolled by EDM if we approached the game that way.

Usually if you are trying to understand something or do something/anything it matters quite a bit if you have actual experience? Pretty simple concept. Judging by your answers it seems you don't which would explain why you don't even understand the argument itself. Not sure why people on here think experience is useless or unhelpful.

90% of the time with embellishment it means you're pushing the laws of the game in the first place in order for the opposition to attempt to elicit a penalty from it. The plays you are talking about are very rare and aren't even pertinent to the discussion. Clearly you are missing the experience to fully understand the nuances of the situation and the very concept itself, plus you are going out of your way to not understand.

No one is suggesting doing silly things like not boxing out players or not playing physical. They are simply saying watch what you're doing out there so that you don't put yourself in situations where you end up with an unnecessary penalty call against the team. It's also called common sense.

Obviously we don't want to be taking penalties against these guys so it amounts to the same thing.

• Like 1

I want to see a red-faced, frustrated McDavid all series. Tie up his stick, get in his way, stick to him like glue - all without taking a penalty. And to make it even better, a very solid hit from Zadorov would be terrific.

Canucks should also continue to fire shots from the point. If the Oilers want to block, then they'll take the punishment. Canucks need more shots on net anyway.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Usually if you are trying to understand something or do something/anything it matters quite a bit if you have actual experience? Pretty simple concept. Judging by your answers it seems you don't which would explain why you don't even understand the argument itself. Not sure why people on here think experience is useless or unhelpful.

90% of the time with embellishment it means you're pushing the laws of the game in the first place in order for the opposition to attempt to elicit a penalty from it. The plays you are talking about are very rare and aren't even pertinent to the discussion. Clearly you are missing the experience to fully understand the nuances of the situation and the very concept itself, plus you are going out of your way to not understand.

No one is suggesting doing silly things like not boxing out players or not playing physical. They are simply saying watch what you're doing out there so that you don't put yourself in situations where you end up with an unnecessary penalty call against the team. It's also called common sense.

Obviously we don't want to be taking penalties against these guys so it amounts to the same thing.

It's so easy to go on a soap box here and talk like experience playing amateur hockey makes you superior in knowledge, but surprisingly I know a LOT of people that have played organized hockey and their knowledge of the game is atrocious.  Just cuz you experience something doesn't mean you understand it.  

So you think stick on stick checking is very rare in a game? Or physically boxing out is very rare as well?  News flash man, if the Canucks play physical, they are very, very likely gonna be in situations where a player can dive and embellish the play.  The only way to avoid it is to avoid engaging physically... a recipe for disaster.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Let's take it back to our DJ'n and Bouncer days...

I'll spin 'Mama said knock you out' - LL Cool J, While you feed him some knuckle sandwiches.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Actually not stupid at all. There is a lot of intelligence there if you look for it and our coaches should definitely be educating and reminding the players of these exact things.

If you don't want penalties for that stuff don't get your stick high up on the opponent when checking, don't get your stick in the opposition's hands, don't stick check players as they skate by, use your legs and skate instead, don't cheat at all and use use your stick or holding to slow players down, don't interfere with the Oiler players, don't clutch and grab, don't overplay the hit, beware of McDavid when he's out there so you don't get caught and have to resort to a penalty. Get in front of the game. Lots a player can do.

So yeah don't touch the Oilers players illegally if you don't want penalties called against you. Seems like really good advice actually. Stupid argument ... no it's a really good one?

Yeah but tell BOTH teams that.

Sometimes one team'll get away with it and another won't.

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

It's so easy to go on a soap box here and talk like experience playing amateur hockey makes you superior in knowledge, but surprisingly I know a LOT of people that have played organized hockey and their knowledge of the game is atrocious.  Just cuz you experience something doesn't mean you understand it.  

So you think stick on stick checking is very rare in a game? Or physically boxing out is very rare as well?  News flash man, if the Canucks play physical, they are very, very likely gonna be in situations where a player can dive and embellish the play.  The only way to avoid it is to avoid engaging physically... a recipe for disaster.

Totally agree, if you are worried what the refs are going to do what does that say about your mental toughness. Just play a good physical playoff hockey game and f*&k the refs.

• Cheers 2