[Second Round] Vancouver Canucks (P1) vs. Edmonton Oilers (P2)

Who will win the series?  

330 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Canucks in 7
    • Canucks in 6
    • Canucks in 5
    • Canucks in 4
    • Oilers in 4
    • Oilers in 5
    • Oilers in 6
    • Oilers in 7

Personally I think the media and Oilers fans are the ones that are confident.  The Oilers themselves?  Not so much.  Kinda wish they were though.  Overconfidence is never a good thing in the playoffs.

3 minutes ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

I enjoy spitting chicklets and even Ryan Whitney’s little corner of the podcasting world. He’s just butthurt and wrong this time is all. 

I find it funny as well and kinda get its part of the whole S.C shtick to get fan bases riled up and come at them.  Whitney being ex Oil is obviously gonna root hard for the EDM community.  They all love the game so if VAN can beat EDM or make a competitive series of it they will all gladly acknowledge it on the podcast.  Only RA will get to take the victory laps tho.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tas said:

including the game where one went into the "w" column for us and into the "l" column for them. 

im  so confused where this consensus that we're gonna get steamrolled came from

we annihilated them in the first half

we were on par with them on the second half, despite them having the way easier second half schedule + us missing our starting goaltender

their D is a joke. they have ONE reliable defenseman - ekholm. bouchard is the defensive equivalent of whatever the opposite of a prodigy/savant is. 

nurse makes worse decisions than peak-chaos myers (who has now become a decision making genius)

ceci kulak and desharnais dont belong in the nhl

they got lucky that LA plays a sit-back-and-trap system, they made the oilers D look really good. Attack them with any sort of pressure and theyll collapse just like they did to our transition game all season long

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Personally I think the media and Oilers fans are the ones that are confident.  The Oilers themselves?  Not so much.  Kinda wish they were though.  Overconfidence is never a good thing in the playoffs.

I get why media would be more confident about EDM winning.  There weren't many issues that came up during the series.  Even concerns about depth scoring, defence and goaltending didn't become a problem against LA.  On the other hand, we have a problem with our powerplay, Pettersson, and of course using a third-string goalie.  Somehow Silovs has turned into Latvia mode, but using a backup-backup is obviously a less than ideal situation.

Vancouver beat NSH despite some apparent issues.  Edmonton just beat LAK without any apparent issues.  That's what the media sees.  But who cares about media?  They're not there to truly break anything down - they're just there to entertain.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, tas said:

I just think that team is a failure in its heart, like the current leafs. no guts when it counts. 

I want our team to expose them in their "cup or bust" season. 

I disagree.

The Oilers have failed the last 4 seasons.... but they have learned a lot from those failures... especially McDavid.

I have watched their playoffs, the first couple seasons you could see he and the team were arrogant and convinced they would win... but that has changed over the last few seasons as they realized what it takes to win... last two seasons McDavid has upped his play... much harder and more determined.

Canucks cannot depend on the Oilers to choke... we will need to beat them fair and square.

Underestimating the Oilers is a mistake.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, HarbularyBattery said:

i really hope you're a medical professional 

It is right in the name and genuine (on both counts some days) unlike that Crossbar guy (well the dr part can’t speak to the other)

1 minute ago, DrJockitch said:

It is right in the name and genuine (on both counts some days) unlike that Crossbar guy (well the dr part can’t speak to the other)

i will sleep better tonight knowing that it is unlikely that I, as a non-medical professional, will ever have to encounter a prolapsed anus in my day to day comings and goings.

many thanks

30 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Is this guy even relevant anymore? He's trying hard to hold onto his past.

Couldn’t care less about what he says…he’s a moron. He never once talked about hockey, just how much he hated the Canucks. To be honest it has all the markings of  talking to most Oilers fans. Same ramblings; top 4 below:

1) “Vancouver has never one anything”: Edm hasn’t won since 1990…34 years ago! Most of the fans weren’t alive

2)”We are the SC favourite…we have the best two players in the world”: That’s left to debate; I take MacKinnon over McD as overall good and Mathew’s over Drai as a goal scorer easy. McD is definitely top 5…Drai not even in top 10.

3)”Vancouver is so cocky”: You are the fans base running your mouth about how great you are; entitlement comes to mind. We are just excited to be relevant again.

4) After every intellectual hockey conversation breaks down OR they lose the conversation….they just keep repeating “ 5 cups…how many you won“

Honestly, they are the 49er fans of the NHL

42 minutes ago, madrigal77 said:

Oilers and Canucks last 30 games of the season. "Heavy favourites due to how good they were at the end of the year".

6r1kf3ns8qyc1.png

Yeah everyone blanking out the 20 shit games the Oil played, and then in turn not subtracting our worst 20 games is just insane bias stat glancing. Gonna be a good battle, even teams. we get edge in Defense and toughness. They get the edge in offense. If we're rolling on all cylinders I think we win. GCG!! 

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I get what youre trying to say.  I'm just saying the Canucks simply can't afford to walk into a game with the mindset of being overly cautious physically.  Everything happens way too fast.  It also shouldn't be on the Canucks to worry about embellishments, but that's a whole other conversation...

I agree completely. Be physical, hit hard and often, but play clean or their PP could bury us. 

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, -Buzzsaw- said:

I disagree.

The Oilers have failed the last 4 seasons.... but they have learned a lot from those failures... especially McDavid.

I have watched their playoffs, the first couple seasons you could see he and the team were arrogant and convinced they would win... but that has changed over the last few seasons as they realized what it takes to win... last two seasons McDavid has upped his play... much harder and more determined.

Canucks cannot depend on the Oilers to choke... we will need to beat them fair and square.

Underestimating the Oilers is a mistake.

mcdavid can will that team to a series win on his own -- but if he doesn't, they don't have a prayer. 

Edited by tas
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

I agree completely. Be physical, hit hard and often, but play clean or their PP could bury us. 

And be aware to the trends as they happen. 

If refs are calling retaliations, be aware of that and be disciplined........if they're calling stick infractions, keep your stick off a players stick or mid-section.

If certain players on the opposition is struggling with a specific scenario (like a dman struggling on his inside turn etc) and exploit that problem