Arturs Silovs | #31 | G

DANJR

Just now, DANJR said:

Is anyboady else really amped to see what he is going to bring to camp?  Haven't really heard much in the last week concerning him.
He was so good in the Worlds.  Really do hope he gets a fair look for serious back-up duties.

It will be very interesting for sure. I expect the Canucks will feel the pressure not to let Martin play as a regular NHL backup anymore, even though he might be capable with a smaller role. I'd be surprised if Silovs is backup-ready already, but it's certainly possible. He looked pretty good in his NHL games last year, but remember that Martin was also incredible in his six games in 2021-22, so a small sample doesn't tell the whole story.

On 9/16/2023 at 1:39 AM, -AJ- said:

It will be very interesting for sure. I expect the Canucks will feel the pressure not to let Martin play as a regular NHL backup anymore, even though he might be capable with a smaller role. I'd be surprised if Silovs is backup-ready already, but it's certainly possible. He looked pretty good in his NHL games last year, but remember that Martin was also incredible in his six games in 2021-22, so a small sample doesn't tell the whole story.

Personally; I think Martin will be the backup in Vancouver unless he has a very poor training camp and exhibition outing. If he falters then Silovs would be the logical backup IMO

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Personally; I think Martin will be the backup in Vancouver unless he has a very poor training camp and exhibition outing. If he falters then Silovs would be the logical backup IMO

Agreed, Martins contract is done after this year. So for sure he will be back up to start. No use wasting bench time on Silovs. If Demko has an injury I hope they call Silovs up in a starting role and Martin would still act as back up.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It seems like DeSmith is truly a backup goalie that can play 1 game out of every 4-5.  It seems now that he has been playing every game (almost) that the pressure is getting to him.  For the price he will want come June I would say keep Silovs as backup to Demko and invest the dollars elsewhere.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Desmenko 1

38 minutes ago, Comox Blaster said:

It seems like DeSmith is truly a backup goalie that can play 1 game out of every 4-5.  It seems now that he has been playing every game (almost) that the pressure is getting to him.  For the price he will want come June I would say keep Silovs as backup to Demko and invest the dollars elsewhere.

And you're blaming DeSmith for the Canucks' poor play and lack of offence? Even the dismal loss to the Golden Showers can't be wholly blamed on DeSmith. Give your head a shake.

1 hour ago, robr1can2 said:

And you're blaming DeSmith for the Canucks' poor play and lack of offence? Even the dismal loss to the Golden Showers can't be wholly blamed on DeSmith. Give your head a shake.

Given we're near the end of the season. And we're looking for cheaper options in probably every position for next year. Seeing how Silovs does against tougher competition seems to be what is being discussed here. It's also a good gauge to see how his development is going. I don't think anyone has brought up the Vegas game.

Wow.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, robr1can2 said:

We had more high danger chances. We were badly out goalied. Double Bubble Demko wins that game. 
Bow 🙇 to the Empties. 

I wonder if SIlovs gets re-signed not to a 1-2 year deal but the Canucks attempt at a contract closer to what Pyotr Kochetkov got from Carolina last summer ( 2 mil x 4 years) betting on him to be a bigger part of the team in the future and securing some cost certainty for several years.

Silovs has shown a good level of competency but also areas where he needs to grow, but I do wonder if they bet on him a bit here. Having a consistent backup would help this team instead of switching one every season.

6 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I wonder if SIlovs gets re-signed not to a 1-2 year deal but the Canucks attempt at a contract closer to what Pyotr Kochetkov got from Carolina last summer ( 2 mil x 4 years) betting on him to be a bigger part of the team in the future and securing some cost certainty for several years.

Silovs has shown a good level of competency but also areas where he needs to grow, but I do wonder if they bet on him a bit here. Having a consistent backup would help this team instead of switching one every season.

You may not even need to pay that much if you are willing to give 3-4 year term.  Only 64 NHL goalie jobs available 3 year guarantee earning in excess of $1 million might be enough to get it done.

53 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Unfortunately, Silovs hasn't been great the last two games either. We'll see how he is next year.

I think he has the raw potential but needs to be more technically refined. He also needs to see the puck and read the play better. He's let in softies either because he's not picking up on the shot or because he's positionally not in the right place to stop it. And those goals that just squeak through between his blocker/glove and his body are infuriating.