Arturs Silovs | #31 | G

DANJR

17 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I wonder if SIlovs gets re-signed not to a 1-2 year deal but the Canucks attempt at a contract closer to what Pyotr Kochetkov got from Carolina last summer ( 2 mil x 4 years) betting on him to be a bigger part of the team in the future and securing some cost certainty for several years.

Silovs has shown a good level of competency but also areas where he needs to grow, but I do wonder if they bet on him a bit here. Having a consistent backup would help this team instead of switching one every season.

A neat idea, though I think $2M would be way too risky, as I'm not sold on him becoming a strong enough backup to justify that. I do think he would maybe do a similar deal for $1.2-1.5M maybe though. Would still be a risk on our end, but much less so.

He's currently on his ELC though, so I suspect the best he'll get is a one- or two-year deal at league minimum, but a one-way deal.

• Cheers 1

On 4/11/2024 at 1:56 PM, -AJ- said:

A neat idea, though I think $2M would be way too risky, as I'm not sold on him becoming a strong enough backup to justify that. I do think he would maybe do a similar deal for $1.2-1.5M maybe though. Would still be a risk on our end, but much less so.

He's currently on his ELC though, so I suspect the best he'll get is a one- or two-year deal at league minimum, but a one-way deal.

The issue I see with signing Silovs to a longer deal (and I am a big believer in Silovs) is that Tolopilo is only two steps behind.  I would rather see Silovs on a two way deal that allows us to swap Sawchenko or Tolopilo for Silovs for stretches.  That way if he struggles we can swap him to Abby and he can work out the funk and come back up.  It also makes another goalie feel like he is competing for that back up spot.  

Just my two cents.  I want to see more possible spots for young guys to compete for so we keep them fighting to improve.  

I think they want to bring back desmith as their first choice 

Silovs doesn't look ready to really run with a position where he plays 25 games a year. quite a few mcSofties this year, tbh he looked better last year in the NHL imo  

4 hours ago, kettlevalley said:

The issue I see with signing Silovs to a longer deal (and I am a big believer in Silovs) is that Tolopilo is only two steps behind.  I would rather see Silovs on a two way deal that allows us to swap Sawchenko or Tolopilo for Silovs for stretches.  That way if he struggles we can swap him to Abby and he can work out the funk and come back up.  It also makes another goalie feel like he is competing for that back up spot.  

Just my two cents.  I want to see more possible spots for young guys to compete for so we keep them fighting to improve.  

I personally don't see how a two-way deal really impacts anything, aside from Aqua's wallet. I think he might get a one-way deal that's two years at league minimum. I do agree that Tolopilo is not a whole lot different than Silovs and is only one year older. Tolopilo is about at the age where he should start dominating the AHL in order to prove he has NHL potential and Silovs is approaching that age too, though of course is e year behind. It will be interesting to see what we do next year. I expect the Canucks will still search for a one-year backup, as I'm not confident (and I think they're not either) that Silovs is ready for the 20-30 game load of an NHL backup).

32 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I personally don't see how a two-way deal really impacts anything, aside from Aqua's wallet. I think he might get a one-way deal that's two years at league minimum. I do agree that Tolopilo is not a whole lot different than Silovs and is only one year older. Tolopilo is about at the age where he should start dominating the AHL in order to prove he has NHL potential and Silovs is approaching that age too, though of course is e year behind. It will be interesting to see what we do next year. I expect the Canucks will still search for a one-year backup, as I'm not confident (and I think they're not either) that Silovs is ready for the 20-30 game load of an NHL backup).

Kid won MVP at World's last year and led his team to an all time best finish.  Then shows he is bored with the AHL and Excels his first couple games up then regresses a little.  

At what point do we give him a chance at the back up if not now?  When Tolopilo and Sawchenko are there to push him and when Ty Young is ready to be the 5th goalie and probably play most of the year in the ECHL.  

I just dont think we have a better opportunity with a guy who shows he is ready.  If you constantly put a player in front of him he will just go back to Europe and sign for more money then league minimum.  And all the other developing guys will see that.  Let's just deflate them all.  

18 hours ago, kettlevalley said:

Kid won MVP at World's last year and led his team to an all time best finish.  Then shows he is bored with the AHL and Excels his first couple games up then regresses a little.  

At what point do we give him a chance at the back up if not now?  When Tolopilo and Sawchenko are there to push him and when Ty Young is ready to be the 5th goalie and probably play most of the year in the ECHL.  

I just dont think we have a better opportunity with a guy who shows he is ready.  If you constantly put a player in front of him he will just go back to Europe and sign for more money then league minimum.  And all the other developing guys will see that.  Let's just deflate them all.  

I think Silovs is only 23. He has had a mixed season in Abby. He might be backup next year because of CAP hit. He would come in at $850K. From the hockey perspective the question might be how many games are required to continue his development? DeCasey might get $2 million as a UFA. He might also get some term that the Canucks likely won't match. 

15 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I think Silovs is only 23. He has had a mixed season in Abby. He might be backup next year because of CAP hit. He would come in at $850K. From the hockey perspective the question might be how many games are required to continue his development? DeCasey might get $2 million as a UFA. He might also get some term that the Canucks likely won't match. 

He was the backbone of the youngest team in the AHL.  I think that was the bigger factor is his season

18 hours ago, Hammertime said:

I absolutely think Silovs deserves a 1 way deal. I think 1.1m are shoes that fit. He has a lot of promise. The pressure will come on the following contract in 2 years.

On way deals usually come with a lower overall hit. I think they will offer him a one to two year, one  way contract at league minimum to 800k. He's still guaranteed that he will be getting a much better payment overall. We've seen this done in past with players who they want to see prove themselves at the next level.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Only a short stint so far, but if Silovs can manage good numbers against the Oilers, maybe it's time to consider that he's our replacement for DeSmith. Would save us about $1M.

25 minutes ago, kettlevalley said:

There is his first NHL shutout.  Series winning shutout.   

Not sure this kid needs to do to win the back up job.  

He’s won the backup job for next season.  We don’t need DeSmith, especially at $2 million.  Heck, if Silovs leads us to the finals, he might be our starter next season…

7 hours ago, kettlevalley said:

There is his first NHL shutout.  Series winning shutout.   

Not sure this kid needs to do to win the back up job.  

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He’s won the backup job for next season.  We don’t need DeSmith, especially at $2 million.  Heck, if Silovs leads us to the finals, he might be our starter next season…

I love the enthusiasm, but what if he goes .750 in the next series vs the Oilers? We have to consider the current sample size we're working with.

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

I love the enthusiasm, but what if he goes .750 in the next series vs the Oilers? We have to consider the current sample size we're working with.

If he goes .750 against the Oilers then we probably lose the series. And we are back to square one. If Silovs wins 4 straight games against the Oilers then we probably ride him all the way to the cup. 

Silovs would become the new Ken Dryden. Imagine winning the Stanley Cup and the Conn Smythe trophy before your rookie season in the NHL!!!  

Let’s goooooo!!!!!

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If he goes .750 against the Oilers then we probably lose the series. And we are back to square one. If Silovs wins 4 straight games against the Oilers then we probably ride him all the way to the cup. 

Silovs would become the new Ken Dryden. Imagine winning the Stanley Cup and the Conn Smythe trophy before your rookie season in the NHL!!!  

Let’s goooooo!!!!!

Totally agree. Although I think he's not yet locked in a backup role, a really strong performance against the Oilers probably does lock him in as our backup for next year.

Both Patrick Roy and Cam Ward also come to mind as stellar rookie netminders.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, -AJ- said:

You always have to consider the sample size.  But this is development.  He was unchallenged this year because we brought in Desmith.  We bring in again and then Silovs and Tolopilo are both under challenged.  

Silovs needs to step up to the next challenge.  Get one game out of three.  And have Tolopilo at the next level down in case Silovs stumbles.  If Silovs or Tolopilo get 30ish games we keep Demko to 50ish games.  We also get two kids developing.  

We need to have this happening at different positions too.  Make sure we are giving the kids meaningful games to play and they all see the possibility of moving up.  

If he's our Spencer Knight (minus the off-ice troubles) or Akira Schmid (minus the regression) we could have quite the strong tandem for years to come.
At worst I wonder if he's an Adin Hill/ Logan Thompson type already, probably not the strongest #1 but good enough to start nonetheless behind good defenses.