Tyler Myers | #57 | RD

-AJ-

As we finish 2023 and look to Jan/Feb of '24 the question has to be asked if Tyler Meyers has 2RD cred. He is a great skater, passer and basically strong defender. What all Canuck fans realize that he has d-zone issues at times. Since acquiring Big Z Meyers has been paired with him on a regular basis. But even before Big Z showed up Meyer's game had to an extent stabilized. His TOI has moderated to some extent which IMHO improves his game. We have to conclude that Foote and Gonchar have helped Meyer's game. 

The question becomes can Tyler Meyers be a legit 2RD on a Cup contending team? Will Cup contending offences expose his weaknesses. When Soucy comes back does RT dress 7 d-men and manage the TOI in the dog days? If Meyers can be a 2RD into playoffs what options does that leave PA to acquire another forward? 

• 3 weeks later...

With his 17th point tonight, Mysey matches last year's production in just over half the games. If he avoid the injury bug, he has a strong chance at setting his Canuck record (21 points) for points and maybe even beating 30 points this year.

For the record, he's had 21 points twice, but in his second Canuck season, did it in just 55 games, which was on pace for 31 points. His current pace is for 35 points.

• Cheers 2

I thought we could sign him for 2 more years around 3 million per, but the way he's playing, he's going to grab 4-5 million. 6'8 RH Defenceman putting up his level of production this season are rare. 

17 minutes ago, Bane said:

I thought we could sign him for 2 more years around 3 million per, but the way he's playing, he's going to grab 4-5 million. 6'8 RH Defenceman putting up his level of production this season are rare. 

Yeah, he's likely pricing himself out of our budget. Someone will pay him the range you've suggested and I don't think we should be offering him that much. He might also try to get 3-4 years, which would also scare me.

23 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Yeah, he's likely pricing himself out of our budget. Someone will pay him the range you've suggested and I don't think we should be offering him that much. He might also try to get 3-4 years, which would also scare me.

a team would be stupid to go 4 mill 3 or 4 years but whatever, CBJ gave Guddy big $ so you never know. That being said, his wife is from Kelowna and they have young kids so some stability would be interesting ne

Trade him at the TDL. 

Send him to a team at the TDL to retain 50% (cost us a 3rd round pick).

Flip him at $3M to another team for a 3rd round pick. 

We basically clear $6M off the cap without costing us anything.

Give the minutes to Juulsen, and shop for a depth RHD.

Hughes-Hronek

Zadorov-Cole

Soucy-Juulsen

Depth

Poach another team desperate to unload a player for pennies on the dollar for cap space given that we will have $6M freed up.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 11/28/2023 at 10:35 PM, -AJ- said:

Myers on pace for his highest scoring season as a Canuck. Currently on pace for 7 goals, 32 assists, 39 points. Always be wary of stats in contract years as a predictor of future production, but it's nice to see nonetheless.

Yes, I agree to this. Edler was the same way.

Some team with deep pockets somewhere will almost certainly pay him 4m or more, with term. 

By all accounts, Myers is a good guy and wants to be in Vancouver, but he just isn't worth that. Yes, he's had a decent season - the kind of season we were hoping to see from him year after year, but never happened until in his final contract year.  Considering his history of average seasons, plus the fact he's now 33, odds are he won't be able to keep this up. 

As much as it's nice he's increased his value in the event of a trade, I just don't see it happening. While the .5m in real money is peanuts for a team to pay, it's the cap hit which will keep him from being able to get dealt to a contending team.  He also won't go to a basement feeder without us giving up assets to make it happen. And frankly, we are a worse team with Juulsen in his place. I consider him a self-rental to finish off the season, then we fill the open RD spot with someone cheaper and/or more appropriate for the role. I stated in another thread that I thought it would be wise to move Hronek to the 2nd 5-on-5 line with Soucy. Then in his place, we bring in Tanev or Pesce. I feel this will allow Hughes to continue his torrid points pace without much decline, but it makes our 2nd D pairing far more dangerous on a regular basis.

1 hour ago, Reznor said:

By all accounts, Myers is a good guy and wants to be in Vancouver, but he just isn't worth that. Yes, he's had a decent season - the kind of season we were hoping to see from him year after year, but never happened until in his final contract year.  Considering his history of average seasons, plus the fact he's now 33, odds are he won't be able to keep this up. 

As much as it's nice he's increased his value in the event of a trade, I just don't see it happening. While the .5m in real money is peanuts for a team to pay, it's the cap hit which will keep him from being able to get dealt to a contending team.  He also won't go to a basement feeder without us giving up assets to make it happen. And frankly, we are a worse team with Juulsen in his place. I consider him a self-rental to finish off the season, then we fill the open RD spot with someone cheaper and/or more appropriate for the role. I stated in another thread that I thought it would be wise to move Hronek to the 2nd 5-on-5 line with Soucy. Then in his place, we bring in Tanev or Pesce. I feel this will allow Hughes to continue his torrid points pace without much decline, but it makes our 2nd D pairing far more dangerous on a regular basis.

1) Myers has led this team in defensive point shares 2/4 seasons. He is usually top 5 in DPS while taking on more and more defensive zone duties with each passing season. He has been much better defensively than anyone here fully understands or would like to admit. His oiSV% is always very high, his DPS is high, his HDCA is better than most and if you think about it…. Someone who has 2-3x more dzone duties, having the same or slightly higher HDCA against as someone with far more ozone duties/distribution…. Actually speaks volumes about his dzone work and rings the alarm bells about that other player. More time in his own zone yet around the same amount of chances against.

2) defence is about knowing where to be and when to be there. Doesn’t rely on speed. Its about awareness and gap closure. You do not need to be extremely fast, you just need to be effective at cutting down time and space. Defensemen play very well into their later age because they do not rely on foot speed to be effective. Forward who lose a step no longer have the speed to get to the open areas or blow by someone.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

16 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

1) Myers has led this team in defensive point shares 2/4 seasons. He is usually top 5 in DPS while taking on more and more defensive zone duties with each passing season. He has been much better defensively than anyone here fully understands or would like to admit. His oiSV% is always very high, his DPS is high, his HDCA is better than most and if you think about it…. Someone who has 2-3x more dzone duties, having the same or slightly higher HDCA against as someone with far more ozone duties/distribution…. Actually speaks volumes about his dzone work and rings the alarm bells about that other player. More time in his own zone yet around the same amount of chances against.

2) defence is about knowing where to be and when to be there. Doesn’t rely on speed. Its about awareness and gap closure. You do not need to be extremely fast, you just need to be effective at cutting down time and space. Defensemen play very well into their later age because they do not rely on foot speed to be effective. Forward who lose a step no longer have the speed to get to the open areas or blow by someone.

Some good points. Thanks for your input!

He may have lead in points, but that isn't saying much as before we had Hughes and Hronek, we didn't exactly generate much of any offense from the back end. He's good at blocking shots, and taking players out of the play as long as he has time to do so and isn't too rushed. He's not the awful defenseman many make him out to be, and isn't talentless. At the same time, he often fails the eye test by making blatant blunders which basically gift the opposing the team the puck. I would be interested to see his stats on how often he turns over the puck which results in a high danger scoring chance. I would be willing to guess it's quite awful - despite also being a rather cherry-picked stat.

I maintain he just isn't worth the dollar figures being thrown around. I would much rather have a player like Tanev or Pesce who shut down the opposition even better. No, they may not have the size of Myers but the extra benefit is that it allows Hughes to be Hughes. Pinch in, do his thing, while knowing that there's always a guy back to cover for him. Myers is NOT that guy. Hronek has turned out to be a good partner (mainly via offensive ability and puck possession), but as I mentioned, if we did as I suggest, we could drop Hronek to the 2nd pairing and spread out the scoring threat.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Reznor said:

Some good points. Thanks for your input!

He may have lead in points, but that isn't saying much as before we had Hughes and Hronek, we didn't exactly generate much of any offense from the back end. He's good at blocking shots, and taking players out of the play as long as he has time to do so and isn't too rushed. He's not the awful defenseman many make him out to be, and isn't talentless. At the same time, he often fails the eye test by making blatant blunders which basically gift the opposing the team the puck. I would be interested to see his stats on how often he turns over the puck which results in a high danger scoring chance. I would be willing to guess it's quite awful - despite also being a rather cherry-picked stat.

I maintain he just isn't worth the dollar figures being thrown around. I would much rather have a player like Tanev or Pesce who shut down the opposition even better. No, they may not have the size of Myers but the extra benefit is that it allows Hughes to be Hughes. Pinch in, do his thing, while knowing that there's always a guy back to cover for him. Myers is NOT that guy. Hronek has turned out to be a good partner (mainly via offensive ability and puck possession), but as I mentioned, if we did as I suggest, we could drop Hronek to the 2nd pairing and spread out the scoring threat.

Sorry I’ll explain defensive Point shares… they are defensive plays that lead to offence. He doesnt get tons of points, but his defensive plays break up offence and result in offence going the other way. So basically he stops the most plays in our zone and it leads to us scoring. He doesnt register a point. He spends the most time in the dzone and allows the same HDCA as some of the other D who spend less time…. Meaning he is better defensively.

Guys who play in the dzone are subject to far greater pressure than anyone else. They are more likely to make a mistake as opposed to a guy who spends all their time in the ozone with far less pressure on them.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Wilbur said:

BS.  It was clear there was no intent to injure as he was spinning around and had his back to him.  Not much different than a stick up in the face.  Thought this was a 2min penalty to be honest.

2 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

BS.  It was clear there was no intent to injure as he was spinning around and had his back to him.  Not much different than a stick up in the face.  Thought this was a 2min penalty to be honest.

Doesn't Myers have a responsibility not to be reckless with his stick? If a guy broke someone's jaw by recklessly letting their stick swing around in a follow through, they'd be suspended too, and with good reason. I don't think the lack of a clear intent can fully absolve someone of guilt here.

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

ahhhhhh :frantic:

OK now thats out of the way, I guess if its something reasonable like 2 years, 3 mil aav. 

I think that'd be great. 

At the end of the day he's a RD who has a history of playing top 4 minutes, so even as a 5 he'd be great depth.

He brings a size element and the puck isn't a grenade on his stick. 

He's a known quantity in the room and knows the systems better than an UFA coming in would. 

He's looked a lot better when surrounded by a competent D core. 

He's probably willing to take less as a Canuck than he would as a UFA. 

He's got roots in BC. 

He'd be a great stopgap to have while Willander develops. 

I know it might seem like I'm just backing the whipping boy for funsies, but there are legit reasons to extend him. Myers at 2.5-3.5M should garner lesser expectations than Myers at 6M. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • chaos 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

I think that'd be great. 

At the end of the day he's a RD who has a history of playing top 4 minutes, so even as a 5 he'd be great depth.

He brings a size element and the puck isn't a grenade on his stick. 

He's a known quantity in the room and knows the systems better than an UFA coming in would. 

He's looked a lot better when surrounded by a competent D core. 

He's probably willing to take less as a Canuck than he would as a UFA. 

He's got roots in BC. 

He'd be a great stopgap to have while Willander develops. 

I know it might seem like I'm just backing the whipping boy for funsies, but there are legit reasons to extend him. Myers at 2.5-3.5M should garner lesser expectations than Myers at 6M. 

all true. I guess I'm still feeling the effects of what Baumer did to him. Man he sucked under Green. But this new group? they found a way in. 

I don't think they will try to move him this year, I doubt the offers would be worth it. Unless TO wants to hand us their 1st I don't see it. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Bob Long said:

all true. I guess I'm still feeling the effects of what Baumer did to him. Man he sucked under Green. But this new group? they found a way in. 

I don't think they will try to move him this year, I doubt the offers would be worth it. Unless TO wants to hand us their 1st I don't see it. 

I don't think it makes sense to. 

A D group of Hughes, Hronek, Soucy, Myers, Zadorov, and Cole is a good mix of elements. Good amount of size and grit mixed in. The offensive skill is top heavy, absolutely, but that's probably more of an it is what it is thing. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1