Tyler Myers | #57 | RD

-AJ-

On 10/29/2023 at 1:04 PM, DownUndaCanuck said:

Makes me wonder how good OEL would have been under this new system.

If he was healthy to start the season last year and wasnt split up from Myers, they would have been an even better pair than their 2021-22 season. Also the big difference is we are also getting quality goaltending. Myers and OEL were a top 5 shutdown pair league wide in 2021-22 they were on for a total of 35 goals against at 5v5 which included 9 low danger goals against.. like just let that sink in for a moment… then they were split up last season and OEL was playing through injury

3 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Is it just me, or has Myers been a little more consistent in the last 2 or 3 games, less questionable decisions?

I haven’t been able to track down a source, so I’m not sure where I heard it, but apparently at some point during the Florida leg of the road trip, Myers texted Tocchet to apologize for his poor play. And Tocchet invited Myers to go on a walk, just the two of them, and they talked it out. Since then, Myers has been playing much better.

Now, again, I can’t recall where I heard this, so maybe it was from a conversation or maybe I dreamed it. I’m getting old and my memory is getting spotty. But I’m pretty sure it happened.

Makes me respect and appreciate both Myers and Tocchet, if that’s how it went down. Myers for taking ownership and responsibly for his play, and being humble enough to directly apologize for it. And Tocchet for using it as an opportunity to connect one-on-one with a player, build trust and rapport, and spin a negative into a positive.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, SISMIM said:

I haven’t been able to track down a source, so I’m not sure where I heard it, but apparently at some point during the Florida leg of the road trip, Myers texted Tocchet to apologize for his poor play. And Tocchet invited Myers to go on a walk, just the two of them, and they talked it out. Since then, Myers has been playing much better.

Now, again, I can’t recall where I heard this, so maybe it was from a conversation or maybe I dreamed it. I’m getting old and my memory is getting spotty. But I’m pretty sure it happened.

Makes me respect and appreciate both Myers and Tocchet, if that’s how it went down. Myers for taking ownership and responsibly for his play, and being humble enough to directly apologize for it. And Tocchet for using it as an opportunity to connect one-on-one with a player, build trust and rapport, and spin a negative into a positive.

I'm liking Tocchet as a coach, more and more.

Myers can be effective when he plays a simple game. He's not fast enough to be overly creative. Just take care of business in front of the net and everybody's happy!

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, SISMIM said:
3 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Is it just me, or has Myers been a little more consistent in the last 2 or 3 games, less questionable decisions?

That was from the last interview earlier today.  When asked about Myers, Tocc mentioned Myers coming to him an apologized for his play.  Tocc asked him to go on a walk together through Nashville and talk it out.  He said it was a great sharing and that he's proud of how well Myers has responded and as a result playing some of the best  hockey as a canuck.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

4 hours ago, mj vic said:

Tocc has totaly won me over.  I was quite skeptical on his initial hiring but he is proving to be the coach this team needs and needed.

So far I've been really impressed by his ability to know when to tear into his players and when to give them support. Obviously holding the NHLs record for all-time Gordie Howe hattricks gets some respect but it also seems like he is genuinely respected by all the players right now.

Edited by Diamonds

16 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

He's been good, but I think it's more a product of the system he's playing in. He's the same old player who played under BB's loose structure. He makes aggressive pinches, as he did under BB, but now they seem more calculated and at a higher chance of success because the team supports it and plays better around him. For example, how many times under Bruce would Myers take a pinch and leave a 2 or 3 on 1 the other way? How many 2-on-1s have we had to defend this year?

A big part of it is our defence from our forwards and the whole 5 man unit support, which wasn't there under Bruce. The forwards played a different game to the defencemen, so Myers was often left out to dry.

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

He's been good, but I think it's more a product of the system he's playing in. He's the same old player who played under BB's loose structure. He makes aggressive pinches, as he did under BB, but now they seem more calculated and at a higher chance of success because the team supports it and plays better around him. For example, how many times under Bruce would Myers take a pinch and leave a 2 or 3 on 1 the other way? How many 2-on-1s have we had to defend this year?

A big part of it is our defence from our forwards and the whole 5 man unit support, which wasn't there under Bruce. The forwards played a different game to the defencemen, so Myers was often left out to dry.

Puck support under RT's system is far superior. When I watched the outdoor game in Edmonton I was struck by how poor the Flame puck support was. 

5 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Puck support under RT's system is far superior. When I watched the outdoor game in Edmonton I was struck by how poor the Flame puck support was. 

This is hallmark of the good playoff teams, in particular Carolina and Vegas. They support the puck so well, when they lose it they get it back so easily and all of their players are so hard to play through, they make you go around and then you lose the puck again. I remember watching the Hurricanes in their prime last season when they'd give up like 15 shots and put up 40 themselves and they were just impossible to get past the neutral zone. Same goes for Vegas in the playoffs, although they played a lot harder.

16 hours ago, Hogs and Podz said:

That was from the last interview earlier today.  When asked about Myers, Tocc mentioned Myers coming to him an apologized for his play.  Tocc asked him to go on a walk together through Nashville and talk it out.  He said it was a great sharing and that he's proud of how well Myers has responded and as a result playing some of the best  hockey as a canuck.

Thanks, I knew I’d heard about it somewhere, just couldn’t remember exactly where and when.

It’s a nice insight into how Tocchet works and fits with other tidbits I’ve heard about how he communicates. That type of rapport and mutual respect between a coach and his players is so key to success in today’s game. Lots of coaches will claim their “door is always open,” but it really does seem like Tocchet means it and he truly wants to hear from his players and welcomes those one-on-one conversations. It’s not just about paying lip service to having open lines of communication or using various contemporary management buzzwords.

1 hour ago, SISMIM said:

Thanks, I knew I’d heard about it somewhere, just couldn’t remember exactly where and when.

It’s a nice insight into how Tocchet works and fits with other tidbits I’ve heard about how he communicates. That type of rapport and mutual respect between a coach and his players is so key to success in today’s game. Lots of coaches will claim their “door is always open,” but it really does seem like Tocchet means it and he truly wants to hear from his players and welcomes those one-on-one conversations. It’s not just about paying lip service to having open lines of communication or using various contemporary management buzzwords.

He definitely gives me Torts vibes, except that he's better with the media and probably has a longer shelf life. He's hard on his players, but also treats them with respect and shows he cares for them too.

51 minutes ago, DixonWard said:

Tyler is +10.  Maybe less minutes, Foote, and Gonchar have found the key to settle him down.

Yeah, he's been really solid lately. Nothing flashy, but...reliable. I can't believe I just said that about Myers. What a turnaround. Credit to both the coaching staff, and Myers himself.

• Like 1

If Myers keeps getting better and better, do we keep him next year onwards? If he somehow ends up being +30-40 on the season with like 30 points, how can you say no? He'd probably be worth like 3-4M on the open market which obviously I'd much rather pay someone younger and stronger like Zadorov, but if we could get him down to 1-2M as a bottom pairing older guy, I'd be all for it.

19 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

If Myers keeps getting better and better, do we keep him next year onwards? If he somehow ends up being +30-40 on the season with like 30 points, how can you say no? He'd probably be worth like 3-4M on the open market which obviously I'd much rather pay someone younger and stronger like Zadorov, but if we could get him down to 1-2M as a bottom pairing older guy, I'd be all for it.

Perhaps the coaching by Foote and Gonchar are grounding Meyers game. He has always been a player I wanted to see more physicality out of. He is so big that physical play often results in penalties. A stronger PK might benefit Meyers willingness to engage. As he matures and the early career ppg decline he might be coached into a d-side more reliable physical force. I am not suggesting thundering hits all the time but simply a more physical presence in front of the net and in the corners.  

• Like 1

On 11/7/2023 at 10:11 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

I'd say it depends on what contract he'd be willing to take on. He's 33 right now so he might come cheap as we know how much he cares about location compared with family.

On 11/7/2023 at 10:11 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

If he's willing to come cheap, I wouldn't mind. When he's playing well, he's worth $4M, but he's too often not playing well, so I wouldn't want to offer him much more than $2M. Maybe like $2.2M per year max and for no more than 2 years, given his age.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 11/9/2023 at 7:06 PM, -AJ- said:

If he's willing to come cheap, I wouldn't mind. When he's playing well, he's worth $4M, but he's too often not playing well, so I wouldn't want to offer him much more than $2M. Maybe like $2.2M per year max and for no more than 2 years, given his age.

I would totally re-sign him for another year at 2 - 2.2 million range. His cap hit is still high right now, but he's playing like a highly effective D for us right now.

Here, let's take a moment and fix the team cap....

Trade one:

To Chicago:

Myers - nothing retained

To Vancouver

Future consideration

Trade two:

To Vancouver:

Myers - 3 million retained

To Chicago:

McDonough

2024 4th round pick

I know this won't happen, but I REALLY wonder what the league would do if a team tried it. I don't think there's anything in the rule book preventing it.

Imagine suddenly having the flexibility of having Myers cap hit drop to 3 million for us? We would ALMOST be operating out of LTIR! 

Seems to me, Gonchar has been exactly what the Dr ordered for Myers and he's playing a LOT better, i.e. his shorty goal was pretty sick, has been hitting a lot more too, using his size and we definitely need that.

Past that, cons are that he still does a good gangly  giraffe impression albeit a lot less, and still needs to up his reads game still but again not as bad as before. 

So that brings us to the point of what do we do with him at the end of the season, if say he continues his better play and even better the more Gonchar works with him, then what? 

I've given it some thought during the last few weeks of the winning streak and he does have size on his side obviously and whoa that would come in handy in the next 2-3 seasons as we ramp up to take a run, size DOES count in the post a LOT! 

Do we keep him around while Willander and D-petey stew in Abby, if so at what price do we offer? 

Or just get rid of him? 

Thoughts? W

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2