[Article] Canucks: Trevor Linden slams former GM Jim Benning in Sportsnet 650 interview

RWJC

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

Benning’s comments are thought to be the first to be made publicly since he was fired by the Canucks in December of 2021 — on the same day the organization relieved head coach Travis Green of his duties in a house cleaning move.

For Benning to come out and comment on what Linden said must really hit a nerve for Benning. 

Guess this photo is appropriate

C6ExyaynV6-FsWbeX8YsKmBSOPXi6RCtJpT8MJUBYQM.jpg

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

"Slams" is probably not the correct term, but Linden was pretty clear that Benning had a different opinion. To his credit though, I think the consensus was that Petey was a 7-9 player, not a #5, so it was a little of the board. Credit to Brackett and his team though for doing a good job.

Now I want to know who is responsible for picking Kole Lind and not Jason Robertson 🤔

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

53 minutes ago, DixonWard said:

I don't know why this matters? I love Linden , but I don't know what purpose this serves now at a time when fans are finally enjoying the team and the organization again.  Write your memoirs later.

IMHO I hope this thread dies a quick death.

Go Canucks Go!

Um Canucks Central was asking him about the process of drafting Pettersson. Linden was just being candid in how he answers the question 

I guess to Benning's credit if this was indeed what happened he was on board with Pettersson. So I will give him that.

Edited by iinatcc
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Miss Korea said:

@RWJC Here comes the pushback.  That was fast

I can imagine there might be some truth to that since Linden's comments is open to Interpretation. 

It could be possible that Benning preferred Glass (like how he preferred Juolevi the draft prior) and it took Brackett and the scouting team to really convince Benning to change his mind.  

I think the lesson here is that communication within the organization is very important and my key takeaway from the interview with Linden is Linden really tried to setup a structure in the Organisation. After the Linden interview the folks in Canucks central mentioned that after Linden left the structure started breaking down and Brackett left not long after. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

I can imagine there might be some truth to that since Linden's comments is open to Interpretation. 

It could be possible that Benning preferred Glass (like how he preferred Juolevi the draft prior) and it took Brackett and the scouting team to really convince Benning to change his mind.  

I think the lesson here is that communication within the organization is very important and my key takeaway from the interview with Linden is Linden really tried to setup a structure in the Organisation. After the Linden interview the folks in Canucks central mentioned that after Linden left the structure started breaking down and Brackett left not long after. 

Hard to say how well of a communicator President Linden truly was (he was probably pretty good), but I sure as hell know Benning was trash at it.  I genuinely think he is stupid.  

4 hours ago, -AJ- said:

"Slams" is probably not the correct term, but Linden was pretty clear that Benning had a different opinion. To his credit though, I think the consensus was that Petey was a 7-9 player, not a #5, so it was a little of the board. Credit to Brackett and his team though for doing a good job.

Benning was also wanted Pettersson but wanted to do a comprehensive due diligence before definitively moving forward with him.  

Sounds to me like Linden is full of shit.

Screenshot 2023-11-09 at 8.22.04 PM.png

• Confused 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, Drakrami said:

It just goes to show there's a lot more behind the scenes. 95% of CDC was showering Benning with praises for at least the first 7 years of Benning's tenure. It's ironic now if people start bashing him lol. 

Benning also wanted Pettersson.......he just wanted to do a more comprehensive due diligence on all of the other prospects as well.  

Screenshot 2023-11-09 at 8.24.28 PM.png

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

He said, she said.....Who cares?!?!?!?!?!? It's in the past and means sweet FA. Now is the time and the future looks good.

Go Canucks Go!

Oh yea. And I'm a Linden supporter. Dude was one of the good ones for us. On and off the ice and even now. For TL, Vancouver forever!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Benning was also wanted Pettersson but wanted to do a comprehensive due diligence before definitively moving forward with him.  

Sounds to me like Linden is full of shit.

Screenshot 2023-11-09 at 8.22.04 PM.png

49 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Benning also wanted Pettersson.......he just wanted to do a more comprehensive due diligence on all of the other prospects as well.  

48 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

False. Benning also loved Pettersson but wanted to do a more comprehensive due diligence on all of the prospects.

Screenshot 2023-11-09 at 8.25.50 PM.png

I Understand Will Ferrell GIF by reactionseditor

Well it's his word againts Linden and the other former Canucks scouts that indirectly verified what Linden said. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Sativika said:

He said, she said.....Who cares?!?!?!?!?!? It's in the past and means sweet FA. Now is the time and the future looks good.

Go Canucks Go!

Oh yea. And I'm a Linden supporter. Dude was one of the good ones for us. On and off the ice and even now. For TL, Vancouver forever!

Yeah it doesn't change the fact that Benning was awful as the Canucks GM. 

• Upvote 3

56 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

False. Benning also loved Pettersson but wanted to do a more comprehensive due diligence on all of the prospects.

Screenshot 2023-11-09 at 8.25.50 PM.png

So you say the other scouts confirming Lindens word is also full of shit?

Did actually a true Benning fan come over here? 

If so I can reaffirm you that Benning was and is full of shit. He is the closest, anyone connected with the Canucks, to be called a MAGA Canuck. 

Edited by LillStrimma
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Listen to the interview.    And the questions asked.    Linden was reserved.   Like usual.   He probably has several reasons to throw JB under the bus but isn't.   As for JB, probably best just to keep quiet.    For sure JB needed convincing, nothing wrong with that either. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1