Conor Garland | #8 | RW/LW

-AJ-

I do wish to see Garland bumped up the line up both because of his performance so far and because of increasing his trade value. He has previously played well with Miller:

Kuz   Pete Mikh

Gar   Miller Boes

PDG  Suter Beau

Laff.  Blue.  Hog

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

26 games in and only 8 points.

I get that he has been better as of late...but its a results based league, and he needs to produce.

We need a bottom line from him.

Very true. At the end of the day, you can have all the CORSI, etc. you want, but if you're not getting goals or preventing them, you're not doing your job.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good article from the Hockey Writers --

Canucks’ Conor Garland Proving His Worth in 2023-24

Story by Scott Clarke, The Hockey Writers  • 27m

image.png.782fd215a36380a69f50e876dbb2be3d.png
© Bob Frid-USA TODAY Sports

Conor Garland‘s time in Vancouver up to this season has been lackluster. Much has been made about his salary ($4.95 million per year), a potential trade request and how he has not produced enough since being a Canuck to warrant the money being given to him. This season, however, Garland has put together his best season in the blue and green despite scoring at a career-low rate.

Garland’s Season By the Numbers

As stated before, Garland has been scoring at a career-low rate. So that raises the question: how is he having his best season as a Canuck then? Two components: defence and puck retention. Defensively, the winger has been arguably Vancouver’s best defensive forward. He’s tied with Elias Pettersson for the most takeaways among all Canucks this season with 16. What makes that even more impressive is that he is doing this while consistently being the shortest player on the ice.

He doesn’t have the luxury of being Pettersson’s height to deflect pucks away or using a long reach to rip pucks away from opponents. Instead, he uses his speed, effort and body to win puck battles at a high rate. On top of his takeaways, he leads all Canucks players in expected goals-for-percentage (xG%) at 58.71%. When he is on the ice, good things happen.

Offensively, Garland’s point production is at an all-time low for him (38% point percentage). But his ability to win the puck back on the forecheck and hold up play behind the net to allow his teammates to set up in the offensive zone has been elite this season. He has the least amount of giveaways among all Canucks with two. Just think about how many times he has stolen the puck off of an opposing defenceman down low as the first forechecker and contained the puck while being checked numerous times by opposing players. It happens routinely in Canucks games.

His contributions are a big reason why that third line has been so potent this season. According to MoneyPuck, the trio of Dakota Joshua, Teddy Blueger, and Garland rank 11th among all offensive lines (minimum 100 minutes time-on-ice – TOI) in the entire league in xG% with 61.5%. They’ve willed the Canucks to occasional victories throughout the season. Quite often they’ve even been Vancouver’s top line in a multitude of games. Both Joshua and Blueger have been great this season, but Garland has made that third-line top-tier.

Keeping Garland on the Third Line

So with all these numbers… shouldn’t he be moved up to a top-six role? No. As stated before, the current third line is cooking with gas. Everyone has heard the saying “If it’s not broke, don’t fix it” and that sentiment holds true in Garland’s case.

Although Garland himself may deserve a promotion, the way he, Blueger, and Joshua have coexisted has arguably been the biggest victory for the Canucks this season. It has been a long time since Vancouver has had an excellent third line and frankly, there’s no good in changing it up. There’s a point to be made that continuing to play the Massachusetts-born in a bottom-six role won’t help his scoring, and that’s a fair point. However, what he’s done in his current role might be the most underrated aspect of this already great Canucks season.

Garland’s 2023-24 season so far is a story of stick-to-itiveness. From a complicated situation revolving around a move out of Vancouver to being touted as “overpaid”, to now being one of the Canucks best forwards on a (should be) playoff team, he has shown for the first time in a Canucks uniform that he is worth every penny.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

Good article from the Hockey Writers --

Story by Scott Clarke, The Hockey Writers  • 27m

image.png.782fd215a36380a69f50e876dbb2be3d.png
© Bob Frid-USA TODAY Sports

Conor Garland‘s time in Vancouver up to this season has been lackluster. Much has been made about his salary ($4.95 million per year), a potential trade request and how he has not produced enough since being a Canuck to warrant the money being given to him. This season, however, Garland has put together his best season in the blue and green despite scoring at a career-low rate.

Garland’s Season By the Numbers

As stated before, Garland has been scoring at a career-low rate. So that raises the question: how is he having his best season as a Canuck then? Two components: defence and puck retention. Defensively, the winger has been arguably Vancouver’s best defensive forward. He’s tied with Elias Pettersson for the most takeaways among all Canucks this season with 16. What makes that even more impressive is that he is doing this while consistently being the shortest player on the ice.

He doesn’t have the luxury of being Pettersson’s height to deflect pucks away or using a long reach to rip pucks away from opponents. Instead, he uses his speed, effort and body to win puck battles at a high rate. On top of his takeaways, he leads all Canucks players in expected goals-for-percentage (xG%) at 58.71%. When he is on the ice, good things happen.

Offensively, Garland’s point production is at an all-time low for him (38% point percentage). But his ability to win the puck back on the forecheck and hold up play behind the net to allow his teammates to set up in the offensive zone has been elite this season. He has the least amount of giveaways among all Canucks with two. Just think about how many times he has stolen the puck off of an opposing defenceman down low as the first forechecker and contained the puck while being checked numerous times by opposing players. It happens routinely in Canucks games.

His contributions are a big reason why that third line has been so potent this season. According to MoneyPuck, the trio of Dakota Joshua, Teddy Blueger, and Garland rank 11th among all offensive lines (minimum 100 minutes time-on-ice – TOI) in the entire league in xG% with 61.5%. They’ve willed the Canucks to occasional victories throughout the season. Quite often they’ve even been Vancouver’s top line in a multitude of games. Both Joshua and Blueger have been great this season, but Garland has made that third-line top-tier.

Keeping Garland on the Third Line

So with all these numbers… shouldn’t he be moved up to a top-six role? No. As stated before, the current third line is cooking with gas. Everyone has heard the saying “If it’s not broke, don’t fix it” and that sentiment holds true in Garland’s case.

Although Garland himself may deserve a promotion, the way he, Blueger, and Joshua have coexisted has arguably been the biggest victory for the Canucks this season. It has been a long time since Vancouver has had an excellent third line and frankly, there’s no good in changing it up. There’s a point to be made that continuing to play the Massachusetts-born in a bottom-six role won’t help his scoring, and that’s a fair point. However, what he’s done in his current role might be the most underrated aspect of this already great Canucks season.

Garland’s 2023-24 season so far is a story of stick-to-itiveness. From a complicated situation revolving around a move out of Vancouver to being touted as “overpaid”, to now being one of the Canucks best forwards on a (should be) playoff team, he has shown for the first time in a Canucks uniform that he is worth every penny.

I like that Scott Clarke is identifying the importance of Garland on the Canucks this season, but to say

that Conor's "time in Vancouver up to this season has been lackluster", is unfair.  Yes, last year he had

a bad season for sure, but you can hardly say his 1st season in Vancouver was 'lackluster.'

2021-22:  77gm - 19g - 33a - 52pt (4th in scoring Fws) - +18 (highest on the team).  As I recall, most

fans were quite happy with Garland's performance that season.

Great to see him adapting his game for the 3rd line.  He's been a proven goal scoring in the past

couple of seasons (17 + 19 g), so there is still a chance that he will find his offensive game at

some point this year. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

I really love to cheer for Garland. Him and Joshua have made a VERY solid third line. These guys are producing with limited minutes. Nice to see. They look like they're playing for each other, which is fantastic.

I always liked Joshua since Allvin acquired him. Really solid guy.

Edited by PureQuickness

On 12/21/2023 at 10:13 PM, PureQuickness said:

I really love to cheer for Garland. Him and Joshua have made a VERY solid third line. These guys are producing with limited minutes. Nice to see. They look like they're playing for each other, which is fantastic.

I always liked Joshua since Allvin acquired him. Really solid guy.

Joshua having a career year for sure. I hope he doesn't get greedy and asks for something that he's not. At the end of the day, Joshua's a bottom six player, and Tocchet and his staff has turned him into a middle six player. I hope Allvin is able to bring him back. There's a lot of players that I'd like back that would be good for the team: Blueger, Suter, Joshua for sure. 

Cole for me is a maybe. Certainly not for 3M. But I'm not sure if there's another defenseman that management can get that is of equal value in terms of quality of play. 

• Cheers 1

On 12/18/2023 at 10:49 AM, higgyfan said:

I like that Scott Clarke is identifying the importance of Garland on the Canucks this season, but to say

that Conor's "time in Vancouver up to this season has been lackluster", is unfair.  Yes, last year he had

a bad season for sure, but you can hardly say his 1st season in Vancouver was 'lackluster.'

2021-22:  77gm - 19g - 33a - 52pt (4th in scoring Fws) - +18 (highest on the team).  As I recall, most

fans were quite happy with Garland's performance that season.

Great to see him adapting his game for the 3rd line.  He's been a proven goal scoring in the past

couple of seasons (17 + 19 g), so there is still a chance that he will find his offensive game at

some point this year. 

Garland and Joshua have really good chemistry and it's amazing. They are helping each other.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Joshua having a career year for sure. I hope he doesn't get greedy and asks for something that he's not. At the end of the day, Joshua's a bottom six player, and Tocchet and his staff has turned him into a middle six player. I hope Allvin is able to bring him back. There's a lot of players that I'd like back that would be good for the team: Blueger, Suter, Joshua for sure. 

Cole for me is a maybe. Certainly not for 3M. But I'm not sure if there's another defenseman that management can get that is of equal value in terms of quality of play. 

Suter signed a 2 year deal.  I thought it was 1 as well, but nope, 2 years with an AAV of 1.6....thank you Allvin.

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Suter signed a 2 year deal.  I thought it was 1 as well, but nope, 2 years with an AAV of 1.6....thank you Allvin.

Oh, that's even better! 

Then it's really just Blueger, Lafferty and Joshua. 

Can any of the Abby players replace those guys? Would they be ready to?

10 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Oh, that's even better! 

Then it's really just Blueger, Lafferty and Joshua. 

Can any of the Abby players replace those guys? Would they be ready to?

Personally, I think Joshua is the guy that you have to keep.  Don't get me wrong the others are nice.  If Blueger can't be kept, the team is still in good hands with centre depth of Miller, Petterson, Suter, Aman.  And 1 of Bains or Podkolzin should be able to replace Lafferty.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Personally, I think Joshua is the guy that you have to keep.  Don't get me wrong the others are nice.  If Blueger can't be kept, the team is still in good hands with centre depth of Miller, Petterson, Suter, Aman.  And 1 of Bains or Podkolzin should be able to replace Lafferty.

Yeah, having some good AHL depth is really going to enable us to do our best to keep this good thing going. We don't have to overpay for Lafferty or Blueger when we can get $1M replacements from Abbotsford, who have a shot at being just as good.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Have to admit; Of the two that were involved in that Benning trade, Conor is the one that turned out well. Tremendous this year.

Yup. Old drunk Alf was critical of CG. But he’s really playing well under Tocchet’s guidance. Driving the third line is hugely important. CG is playing above his cap allocation now. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1