Pettersson in the (other) Big Games

That's it not many in the league score against every team.

EP is like the second tier player behind the greats like McBaby,Kuch and Mathman

Saying this he is a superstar on our team.

Playoffs will show us exactly what we have and I can't wait.

• Upvote 1

Petey is the man. Because of such, he's keyed on by opposing teams. I get that he's not deemed franchise, generational or superstar. More so foundational, elite. I'm of the opinion that he's not a leader of men type. Nor does he seem the type to drive plays. Petey has his moments to be sure. Especially with Kuzy last season. I guess it all rides on who his line mates are?!?!!?!!???

On wing though, the guy seemingly shines more than he does at centre. Which I'm guessing is why RT does centre by committee with Petey and Lindy on their line when they're paired together. Honestly, we need more Petey like we saw him in NY with the Lotto line. Now there you could compare him to the McDavids and Mathews.

We've been without Soucy and now Daks. Ilya's not 100% and Lindy is still working' out the bugs. New line changeups for RT to try and, I understand a call up in Bains from Abby. Sure hope he gets a look. And possibly Kessel in the picture.

Yea. Petey has been keyed on by the fans too. I needn't go into as to why. But ya' can't deny, Petey has been as advertised for us. To have him, Huggy and Demmer all at once with us is kismet of the highest magnitude. We'd be a different team without Petey for sure. So...................Uhmmmmmmmm...................Ermmmmmmmm.............

Quit bitchin'??????!?!?!? I jest. It's an open forum. Y'all have opinions and can express such till the cows come home.

Cheers.

Go Canucks Go!!!!!!!

Edited by Sativika
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I recall Petey slaying in the bubble playoffs. Am I misremembering? I may have been drunk. 

Based on some of the posts lately I almost get the sense that he's viewed as an unproven playoff performer (I.e. when it really matters). 

However, stats show that he was just over a point a game in the bubble run, posting 18 points (7 g, 11 a) in 17 games.

(Source: https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/teams/vancouver-canucks-players-2019-20-playoff-nhl-stats.html)

I acknowledge that a lot of the questions may really be about whether he is worth being paid as a 12 million dollar player - but can we acknowledge that stats indicate that he has risen to the occasion in the post season?

I know other teams are dialing in on him differently now, and that's up to both him and the coaching staff to work around.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

Heading into the playoffs there are  two questions to ask:

1. If you are the coach or a player on the opposing team how do you game plan for Petey?  If you said hack, whack, elbow, punch and intimidate - then you are being honest.

2. Given number 1, how is Petey going to respond in the playoffs? Is he going to maintain his regular season numbers or better, or is he going to drop off?

We are gonna find out.

if the Canucks are going to compete for a Cup then Petey is going to have to be able to answer the bell and play well against better teams and more physical opponents. If you ask a Boston fan they will tell you the reason they won in 2011 is they physically beat up and intimidated the Canucks, especially the Sedins.

Playoff Petey can't be Playoff Daniel if the Canucks are gonna be successful. Jury is out until we get there and see how he does.

You can skip the question mark regarding Petey in playoffs.

Now he is much better than the first playoff he played in NHL and he was a ppg player then.

Just imagine how it will be now.

But it depends in part on how Tocchet want to play. If he goes for the defensive strategy it will be less points for our best players grinding out games.

• Upvote 1

It's funny how short memories are here. No player can go 100% for 82 games a year and playoffs. I recall how angry the boards were when the Sedins had a bad night during their President's Trophy years, claiming they were taking the night off, etc. Petey's problem, such as it has been for the fifth highest scorer in the NHL, is that he played the first half of the season with two L3/L4 players. Hopefully the Canucks Swedish House Mafia can gel in the next few games and be a true L1. I'm wondering if Tocchet hard matches them against other teams L1s, thanks to Lindy. The Miller line has not been great at the hard match, so they can enjoy success vs other team's L2 and L3. Petey is more than fine, and will get his $12-12.5 million, IF he wants to stay here. I could see a private guy like him wanting to play in a less hockey centric market like LA, TB, FL, or even SEA. He cold walk down the street in one of those markets as just another handsome blonde guy, and only be recognized by about ten percent of the population, as opposed to 80% of people who see him in Vancouver.

Edited by Canuckleheads Fan

16 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

1. If you are the coach or a player on the opposing team how do you game plan for Petey?  If you said hack, whack, elbow, punch and intimidate - then you are being honest.

2. Given number 1, how is Petey going to respond in the playoffs? Is he going to maintain his regular season numbers or better, or is he going to drop off?

We are gonna find out.

if the Canucks are going to compete for a Cup then Petey is going to have to be able to answer the bell and play well against better teams and more physical opponents. If you ask a Boston fan they will tell you the reason they won in 2011 is they physically beat up and intimidated the Canucks, especially the Sedins.

Playoff Petey can't be Playoff Daniel if the Canucks are gonna be successful. Jury is out until we get there and see how he does.

Petey is gambling on himself. He could have signed during the season, and relieved a lot of fans, and Allvin. He is relying on the team watching him play this playoffs, and then offer him his 12 mill.

Yes he did play in the bubble playoffs, at about a point per game. But this is a different season. The Western Conference is better. Teams know how to deal with Petey better. For instance he rarely gets a clean shot from his position on the PP anymore. He has gained more weight, but lets face it, his frame is a clear disadvantage when its not an open ice situation. And in the playoffs, physicality is ramped up 10x.

So like you say, "We are gonna find out".  Not signing Petey during the season could  be good for management's position as well.  If Petey blows away the critics, then Allvin will gladly open the coffers for him, whatever he wants. But if he stumbles at all, gets frustrated on the ice by the extra intimidation, and starts to look more like a regular season star vs playoff star then management would have more of a bargaining position to keep the  number lower.  I feel kind of dirty saying that. By no means do I foresee Petey declining in the playoffs. Just that his post season play will go a long ways into deciding his real value to the team, and his offer from management.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

On 2/18/2024 at 10:22 PM, Barbarian said:

I recall Petey slaying in the bubble playoffs. Am I misremembering? I may have been drunk. 

Based on some of the posts lately I almost get the sense that he's viewed as an unproven playoff performer (I.e. when it really matters). 

However, stats show that he was just over a point a game in the bubble run, posting 18 points (7 g, 11 a) in 17 games.

(Source: https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/teams/vancouver-canucks-players-2019-20-playoff-nhl-stats.html)

I acknowledge that a lot of the questions may really be about whether he is worth being paid as a 12 million dollar player - but can we acknowledge that stats indicate that he has risen to the occasion in the post season?

I know other teams are dialing in on him differently now, and that's up to both him and the coaching staff to work around.

EP, like most of our players, wilted and had a disappearing act when the Vegas series went the distance.    Can't really criticize either rookie QHs or sophomore EP for that.    This time, well sure hope things go differently for them when we match up against the bigger teams out there.     Mathews also does this.   The Sedins were criticized as well.   Some players get you to the post season.   Some are meh then amp it up.   Some are pretty level.    Bubble was awhile ago.     Sure hope for their's and our sake, they lean towards amping it up.   Not like the regular season doesn't have great games too because for sure it does.     Hudson Bay rules, no complaints here with a limited sample size.     They aren't peach fuzz guys anymore either. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I commented in the PGT but perhaps this is the better thread. Petey is skilled and very driven to improve, he's shown his commitment to that. I think he's learning how to be a difference maker using his skill set in big games, I'm betting he'll figure it out, then watch out.

On 2/20/2024 at 9:10 AM, IBatch said:

EP, like most of our players, wilted and had a disappearing act when the Vegas series went the distance.    Can't really criticize either rookie QHs or sophomore EP for that.    This time, well sure hope things go differently for them when we match up against the bigger teams out there.     Mathews also does this.   The Sedins were criticized as well.   Some players get you to the post season.   Some are meh then amp it up.   Some are pretty level.    Bubble was awhile ago.     Sure hope for their's and our sake, they lean towards amping it up.   Not like the regular season doesn't have great games too because for sure it does.     Hudson Bay rules, no complaints here with a limited sample size.     They aren't peach fuzz guys anymore either. 

Great reply.

Glad we finally have a post-season opportunity here in a contract year to see what kind of player EP is for us at this stage in his career. 

On 2/20/2024 at 9:10 AM, IBatch said:

EP, like most of our players, wilted and had a disappearing act when the Vegas series went the distance.    Can't really criticize either rookie QHs or sophomore EP for that.    This time, well sure hope things go differently for them when we match up against the bigger teams out there.   

This is all you really needed to post IBatch.  The rest is irrelevant until it actually happens.

On 2/18/2024 at 7:11 PM, fanfor42 said:

We are gonna find out.

The Canucks lost against Boston primarily because they were physically depleted by the time they got to the finals.  Several players significantly hurting. They were physically depleted because of the extra 3 gruelling games against the hawks that never should have happened. 

Otherwise, Boston would be toast. 

I see this is the place for a more balanced discussion where there are no generalities being spewed out.

"He didn't play hard enough"

"He disappeared in crunch time"

"He's a me-first guy"

"He puts himself ahead of the team"

"He didn't show up"

😑

On 2/19/2024 at 2:57 AM, wai_lai416 said:

it doesn't matter Pettersson will forever be under a microscope and hated in the market complaining he's not a mcdavid kucherov or mackinnon as long as he's in vancouver unless he signs for less than 10mil

Hated by you or “the market”?

5 hours ago, Bob Long said:

He likes making blanket statements about "the market"

Why don’t you make a poll and see how many here wants to trade him or see him gone unless he signs for well below market. Sure the forum might not represent majority as some might be silent, but of the different poster that posted regarding ep it’s almost a landslide the ppl that are ripping him or wanting to trade him vs the ppl that are defending him. If you don’t like my blanket statement block me instead of chiming in with your lame shots. I don’t like some of your comments either you don’t see me quoting you literally every day regarding the same shit 

Edited by wai_lai416

On 2/21/2024 at 8:17 PM, erkayloomeh said:

The Canucks lost against Boston primarily because they were physically depleted by the time they got to the finals.  Several players significantly hurting. They were physically depleted because of the extra 3 gruelling games against the hawks that never should have happened. 

Otherwise, Boston would be toast. 

TB also had a really tough time.   They were the better team and that gets lost.  Tim Thomas.   Patrick Roy did this to.   It's happens.     If TB won that series, have zero doubts we'd have won a cup.   It also would have been an exciting series too.  Bet we'd have won in five, six at most. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1