Former NHLer Chris Simon Dead at 52

Chris Simon had a tough life.  Ted Nolan helped him become sober during his playing years, but my guess is the CTE from all the fighting affected his life after retirement.  By 2017, he was divorced and bankrupt, unable to work because of his hockey injuries.

I always remembered him for his clean-shaven head - I had no idea he was rocking a mean mane back in the 90s.

Chris Simon: Ojibway - Indigenous Pro. Hockey Player - Wiikwemkoong Unceded  Reserve, Ontario - YouTube

• Sad 5
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 2

2 hours ago, Snoop Hogg said:

Despite his issues and the mistakes he made, he seemed like a decent guy.

Do we know the cause of his death?

Unconfirmed reports of suicide

Edited by Miss Korea
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

29 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Chris Simon had a tough life.  Ted Nolan helped him become sober during his playing years, but my guess is the CTE from all the fighting affected his life after retirement.  By 2017, he was divorced and bankrupt, unable to work because of his hockey injuries.

I always remembered him for his clean-shaven head - I had no idea he was rocking a mean mane back in the 90s.

Chris Simon: Ojibway - Indigenous Pro. Hockey Player - Wiikwemkoong Unceded  Reserve, Ontario - YouTube

Wow... that's 2 suicides in the hockey world in the last 24 hours.  Mental health is a serious problem... hope people that are facing these demons themselves are able to find the help they need.

Not sure if everybody knows, but just dial 988. 

https://988.ca/

• Thanks 4

15 minutes ago, Déjà Vu said:

none know, no reason was given for simon

I think a couple journalists reported as such but they've since pulled their remarks, likely because the cause of death isn't confirmed, and also probably out respect for family/friends.

1 hour ago, Gurn said:

If he had cte and did take his own life, maybe, just maybe, that would convince the NHL to ban fighting..

But probably not.

Sadly he likely isn't the first to go because of that (guys from the era of Rypien, Boogaard, etc. come to mind, and I'm sure they aren't the only ones).
Hopefully with the increase in skill causing the goon to basically go extinct (besides skilled ones like Rempe, Reaves and Wilson) that could lead to a sharp decline in post-career self-harm.  I suspect headshots could still lead to the victims to face the same debilitating effects of head trauma, but hopefully it would be few and far between compared to the intentional injuries of a staged fight. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Gurn said:

If he had cte and did take his own life, maybe, just maybe, that would convince the NHL to ban fighting..

But probably not.

It’s so stupid the NHL allows (encourages really) bare knuckle fighting. 

• ThereItIs 1

This is really sad/tragic.

The thing is, we learn and evolve over time...or at least we should. Pummelling each other in the head hardly seems like sport or entertainment, but I understand why fighting is necessary. 

It's the cheap shots that really need addressing and then fighting wouldn't be as called upon.

Most guys who are in the enforcer role embrace it for what it is (Bieksa being one of them). It's sad that it can take a toll and linger long after the skates are put away. May he rest in peace. I wish his family and friends strength and peace at this difficult time. Suicide's a very complex puzzle and I only wish that those who took their own lives after battling for others could win their own personal battle. 

• Sad 1

I am both saddened and angered over the tragic story of Chris Simon. Saddened that the injuries he absorbed from countless heavy blows to the head so horribly affected his mental and physical health and angered that the NHL seems steadfast in denying any link between CTE and hockey fights. It is nothing more than wilful ignorance and fear of the deluge of lawsuits the league will be hit with if they ever admit that getting hit repeatedly in the head isn't good for someone's longterm health.

This quote made me retch: [Frank Seravalli] Asked Bill Daly whether the NHL’s viewpoint has changed with additional medical studies that show a definitive link between CTE and repeated blows to the head. “No,” Daly said. “I think the science is still lacking.”

Here is what Simon was battling:

image.thumb.png.c7f639334a21933eb86793287ef5ee7e.png

Time for the league to 1) Pay up, and 2) ban fisticuffs once and for all.

Edited by Curmudgeon
  • Cheers 2

I really believe that with these type of professional athletes in these salary ranges, the union should place (x)  of their earnings over (y) amount up to (z) amount into an escrow account that is given as a pension given weekly/by weekly/ or monthly after retirement.  

As far as concussions go, some of them wear the damage constantly in their day to day life; Sometimes the symptoms come and go like the weather and it's hard for them to find jobs or consistent health to find jobs.  I have no doubt that there are many players playing that refuse to name any symptoms out of fear of losing playtime, playing providence, or financial losses from teams being afraid to invest in them because of reported previous symptoms.

There is no doubt the concussions, or symptoms related to previous injuries can cause a detriment to mental health.  Sometimes these players have few symptoms from their injuries but later in life another injury occurs outside of the game of hockey and the symptoms of the initial injury become much worse.  The financial burden from loss of work or the loss dignity places another stressor on the individual.

Players want to play knowing there is a real risk; Many young men don't cage fight not because of the desire not to fight but because of the fear of the repercussions of an injury; Hopefully we can take real steps to prevent our communities from losing people in such a way. The NHL is paying these players enough and it's on the NHLPA for not placing the necessary financial safeguards for players in retirement.

I imagine the leaders of the NHLPA union will adamantly refuse this narrative.

May the Lord great his soul and may peace be upon him; RIP.

Edited by Jerk
  • Vintage 1

On 3/19/2024 at 4:15 PM, Miss Korea said:

Simon was a warrior, and played against the toughest guys this sport has produced.   His long hair appeared to be his superpower, didn't need to see his number or his name, your knew instantly when he was on the ice from the nosebleeds.   Of which he gave many.    Could play the game too, more then once had very productive seasons for a 3-4th liner.  

Was one of the best enforcers of his era, and did it during a time of egregious interference.    This is truly a sad story.   Hits the heart strings hard.    The instigator rule created the circus, before that things were settled then and there on the ice, there was zero reason for these guys to fight 20-30 times a year, the NHL owes some of these athletes a debt they can't possibly re-pay.    Like an arms race, every team sought these guys out.   The toughest job in hockey.    This picture is from the start of the 95-96 season...summer of 95.. Kept it as a reminder of what these guys did to both entertain the fans, and more then anything, keep the code going and protect their teammates, this particular ranking their fighting ability...Right between Twist and Kocur.   Always had a soft spot for them as a group,  the great majority are/were gentle, loving souls.    COL had a lot of young talent ... he went on to win a cup this season.    Finals for WSH and later CAL.    Hope he's now enjoying hunting, fishing and trapping with his grandfather.   RIP.     

IMG_3797.jpeg

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1