Tkachuk for Pettersson (Proposal)

My son and I have been talking about this proposal ever since the rumors started, that Brady wants out of Ottawa (That remains to be seen!)

Ok, the proposed trade is in the headline, so not much to discuss there, but I want to ask everyone, if they have ever counted the time Pettersson spends picking himself of the ice every game, and how he disappears in tough games, and how many times he passes up on the side wall shot during a power play.

Now, no one is ever going to be able to say that Pettersson is not talented, and doesn't get points, but he was 3rd in scoring on the team this year, and with next year collecting a 11.6 million dollar a year contract, well he should be giving more............in tough games. I am not saying points don't count but, I am saying being a difference maker, being a driver, being a leader. Now if someone says maybe he is injured, well then he spends too much time being injured. IMO, Pettersson has a long way to go to become that leader in hard fought games. IMO, I say he will never do it on a consistent basis.

Now, Tkachuk, is a whole different creature. He is a driver, he is physical, he is tough, and miserable to play against. He may score less points a season, but he is a far more rare commodity than Pettersson, and IMO, makes a difference every game. IF Tkachuk plays on a better team, how many points does he get?

There is an added bonus, in that Tkachuk is worth 3.4 million less than Pettersson, and that signs both Hronek and Joshua, and makes it way easier to find the cash for big Zads. Now, ask your self what our team looks like without those 3 on the ice. Ask yourself how Tkachuk looks along side Miller.....

Is there pit falls to this trade....yes, but I am not saying what they are........anyways, I have not made a proposal for awhile, so this is my playoff contribution.....flame away!

PS.......Hughes and Tkachuk are buddies........that counts 

Edited by JIAHN
  • Like 3
  • Cheers 1

Look... I'm a big Brady fan... But there is one quality you can't teach and that's IQ... Not hockey IQ but overall.  Not sure if Brady has a high one.  I'm bringing this up because a higher overall IQ collates with the ability to learn.  EP has that over Brady for sure... I'm not one to give up on him yet.  I think this thread is premature... A little too chicken little for me.  IF he's a no show in the playoffs all together... Then, maybe but as other posters have stated... Not sure Ottawa would go for it.  Overall though... I believe Petey will figure this out, sooner than later and have this thread retired shortly there after.

• Cheers 2

If management pulled this off after they all discussed it, I would trust it was a good choice, Until then I will enjoy what we have now

They have more than any management in the NHL this year worked hard to change the culture and personnel of this team, and as JR said, they have a lot of work to be done and for everything to go right, and luckily it has !

Edited by Ballisticsports
  • Cheers 1

I would really hold off on doing anything with trading Pettersson. When he's on his game, he's an elite playmaker and scorer. 

I think he will  pull out of this like he did last time. He really needs to start playing like he did at the start of the season.

• Like 1

I'd say no. I would rather we lose Boeser and Mik and add in someone like Lekkermaki and a 1st to see if a deal can be made. 

I'm surprised how many people have given up on Petey after a bad stretch. Considering his overall time in Vancouver has been incredible. 

@JIAHN has waded into a touchy subject 😆

I love both players, would be happy with either of them so my comments are not based on some sort of Petey hate. 

But here goes. Yes I would do this, IF we re-signed Lindholm first. 

Petey is a great player, but imo Brady fits Tocc's system better. Brady-Miller-Boeser could potentially carry this team, thats a nightmare line to face when they're all clicking.

I could see something like this going forward:

Brady-Miller-Boes

Lekkerimaki-Lindy-Hogs

Joshua-Blueger-Garly

Podz-Suter-Raty (this could work well since Raty is good at face offs so its not all on Suter)

I haven't run the math but the cap savings between Petey and Brady should make this possible given that we have 4 guys in there on ELCs or at 1.1 mil. 

Now do I think Allvin does this? no, but its interesting to discuss academically. 

Edited by Bob Long
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 3

6 minutes ago, DixonWard said:

Only Canucks fans would be proposing to trade a top team player after a game 1 win in the playoffs.  

Wtf, it's just sad!

its just a discussion, no one is running Petey out of town on a rail. If nothing else it can help to appreciate what you've got. 

13 minutes ago, DixonWard said:

Only Canucks fans would be proposing to trade a top team player after a game 1 win in the playoffs.  

Wtf, it's just sad!

Well, I am just hoping Pettersson reads this dribble and picks up his socks! If you were happy with performance last night, well then, I guess you have no issues.............but when the face of the franchise is a none factor....that just psss's me off.......

• Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, JIAHN said:

Well, I am just hoping Pettersson reads this dribble and picks up his socks! If you were happy with performance last night, well then, I guess you have no issues.............but when the face of the franchise is a none factor....that just psss's me off.......

thats why I'm wondering about fit. I don't think anyone can fault Petey for effort, but in Tocc's N-S hard driving style, maybe Brady is the bette fit? Maybe Petey fits better with a smaller high skill team like with Ottawa and Stutzle? 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

thats why I'm wondering about fit. I don't think anyone can fault Petey for effort, but in Tocc's N-S hard driving style, maybe Brady is the bette fit? Maybe Petey fits better with a smaller high skill team like with Ottawa and Stutzle? 

Well, here is 2 questions for you Bob. I know I will get some honest answers.........

#1................Do you think Pettersson is a driver?

#2................Can you name me any other players making just short of 12 Million per, that are not drivers?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

its just a discussion, no one is running Petey out of town on a rail. If nothing else it can help to appreciate what you've got. 

It's just weird to conjure up this topic at this time, because he didn't have the best game in 1 game.  What's the point at this point?

Go Canucks Go!

1 hour ago, JIAHN said:

It was 1 game.  He didn't suck, he just didn't play like a star.  He didn't cost us a game or anything.  In 2011, one series Edler was a total beast, others were in the background, another series Kesler dominated, and so on.  Just enjoy a Canucks victory and don't feel the need to crap on anybody.  We need all our our positive energy willing the team to win.

If they traded Pettersson, they could probably afford to re-sign Joshua, Zadorov, Lindholm, Blueger, Myers, Cole and Hronek.  Add Brady to the team, and they'd be a dominant playoff team for years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JIAHN said:

Well, here is 2 questions for you Bob. I know I will get some honest answers.........

#1................Do you think Pettersson is a driver?

Often. Not enough yet to be considered to be in the conversation for consistent top 10 talent.

2 hours ago, JIAHN said:

#2................Can you name me any other players making just short of 12 Million per, that are not drivers?

Brady 😉

Petey is getting way more attention this year imo, and hasn't adjusted enough. 

Can he? He has at every other stage in his career. But can he do it in Toccs system is the question imo.

Edited by Bob Long
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DixonWard said:

It's just weird to conjure up this topic at this time, because he didn't have the best game in 1 game.  What's the point at this point?

Go Canucks Go!

I guess Peteys recent struggles?

9 hours ago, JIAHN said:

My son and I have been talking about this proposal ever since the rumors started, that Brady wants out of Ottawa (That remains to be seen!)

Ok, the proposed trade is in the headline, so not much to discuss there, but I want to ask everyone, if they have ever counted the time Pettersson spends picking himself of the ice every game, and how he disappears in tough games, and how many times he passes up on the side wall shot during a power play.

Now, no one is ever going to be able to say that Pettersson is not talented, and doesn't get points, but he was 3rd in scoring on the team this year, and with next year collecting a 11.6 million dollar a year contract, well he should be giving more............in tough games. I am not saying points don't count but, I am saying being a difference maker, being a driver, being a leader. Now if someone says maybe he is injured, well then he spends too much time being injured. IMO, Pettersson has a long way to go to become that leader in hard fought games. IMO, I say he will never do it on a consistent basis.

Now, Tkachuk, is a whole different creature. He is a driver, he is physical, he is tough, and miserable to play against. He may score less points a season, but he is a far more rare commodity than Pettersson, and IMO, makes a difference every game. IF Tkachuk plays on a better team, how many points does he get?

There is an added bonus, in that Tkachuk is worth 3.4 million less than Pettersson, and that signs both Hronek and Joshua, and makes it way easier to find the cash for big Zads. Now, ask your self what our team looks like without those 3 on the ice. Ask yourself how Tkachuk looks along side Miller.....

Is there pit falls to this trade....yes, but I am not saying what they are........anyways, I have not made a proposal for awhile, so this is my playoff contribution.....flame away!

PS.......Hughes and Tkachuk are buddies........that counts 

I'll preface by saying I would do it. For the reasons listed, and I just enjoy ol time hockey.

It's a terrible idea and we lose this trade so hard. Never bet against Pete.  He's vastly more skilled than Brady it's not close. It's the new NHL our top line will be 

Hoglander Pete Lekketimaki

Go yell at a cloud. 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1