[Second Round] Vancouver Canucks (P1) vs. Edmonton Oilers (P2)

Who will win the series?  

330 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Canucks in 7
    • Canucks in 6
    • Canucks in 5
    • Canucks in 4
    • Oilers in 4
    • Oilers in 5
    • Oilers in 6
    • Oilers in 7

I'm surprised by the lack of concern for the Canuck goal tending situation.  From what I've heard,

our all star goalie isn't even practising with the team, so far.  Our rookie goalie has shown some

real poise and skill, but it seems like wishful thinking for him to play 'lights out' against such a

talented offensive team like the Oilers.

Of course, I really hope that the team and especially Silovs can get through this series, but I sure

would feel more confident if Demko was at the helm.

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I'm surprised by the lack of concern for the Canuck goal tending situation.  From what I've heard,

our all star goalie isn't even practising with the team, so far.  Our rookie goalie has shown some

real poise and skill, but it seems like wishful thinking for him to play 'lights out' against such a

Of course, I really hope that the team and especially Silovs can get through this series, but I sure

Hey I'm concerned! I do think Silovs has been a great story, and he's looked very steady, but he also hasn't been facing shots from McDavid, Draisaitl, Hymen, and Bouchard who are on another level compared to the offensive talent of the Predators. I worry that he could get blasted early and unravel. But hopefully that's just my old Canucks PTSD talking from so many years of disappointment! He's got a strong defensive team in front of him and I'm hopeful that it will be enough to keep the Oilers at bay.

49 minutes ago, bh90 said:

how do any of your stats support your arguement?

so because the fastest record skating speed on the canucks was 23.36 and the league average is 23.60 that makes the team slow? How is that stat representative of team speed? it's a stat that compares each teams fastest skater.

and speed bursts over 20 mph also doesn't represent if the team is slow. it's a reflection of how they play. I bet you the teams at the top of that list are teams that play run & gun style, and the teams that are at the bottom are structured, zone teams.... Canucks do not run & gun. Boston, Florida and Dallas are also below 50th percentile but I guess that doesn't make them contenders. 

Canucks can skate. They're defense is argueably the most mobile defense in the NHL and lastly don't forget that team speed is atributed to how quickly and well you can move the puck. No player is as fast as the puck.

not my fault you cant read graphs bro... 😆

39 minutes ago, HarbularyBattery said:

the only one of these stats thats even remotely relevant is the first one, and being basically league average is not the same as being one of the slowest in the league

these stats can also be attributed to style of play/system over raw footspeed. A more honest stat to reflect footspeed would be how many times we get burned on odd man rushes/how many times our guys are unable to get back in the play. We're far better in that department than many other teams. 

image.png.fe01bc88e001ac3c99853bca5bbf168e.png

this sounds like an argument from a person that is backtracking cause they put there foot in their mouth... LOL

9 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I'd be less concerned if EP was playing at his usual elite self.  Going to be difficult to beat the Oilers in this series with a 3rd string goalie if EP has another essentially MIA series (have to assume he's playing hurt).

12 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Not unheard of a no name goalie going on a hot run and win their team a cup.

Heck Vegas did just that last year.

So far no reason to doubt Silvos can't have similar performances. Not like we have a choice so just believe. 

11 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Elias Pettersson's new contract hasn't kicked in yet.

I believe last year was guaranteed a 10+ winner, since Florida had Bobrovsky in the Finals.

I'd much rather use that money on a skater. 

That money is for you to excel in the season and Playoffs, but you'll be forgiven for a bad season if you have a strong playoff (not the other way around though).

• Cheers 2

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, c00kies said:

I believe last year was guaranteed a 10+ winner, since Florida had Bobrovsky in the Finals.

I'd much rather use that money on a skater. 

That money is for you to excel in the season and Playoffs, but you'll be forgiven for a bad season if you have a strong playoff (not the other way around though).

And Barkov.   And Stone/MT at 9.5 right?    This tweet or whatever is kind of a one off.   And silly.   The real thing is who's in the final four that's a low or no state tax team year after year after year after year.   That's a story.   

At least this year one Canadian team is going to make it.    And unless it's us it won't feel so good. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, CBH1926 said:

This is filmed in N.Y, based on fire escape stairs and cobblestone street, I would say Soho.

If that was ny theyd be throwing hands. Looking at it again might be London cant tell if they driving on the right. Or date night with my wife one or the other

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I'd be less concerned if EP was playing at his usual elite self.  Going to be difficult to beat the Oilers in this series with a 3rd string goalie if EP has another essentially MIA series (have to assume he's playing hurt).

Definitely some cause for concern if EP does not have an impact - look at the Oiler forward lines and it is a formidable group.  Very important for the Canucks to play with patience in this series - continue with what they normally do but not too aggressive or by just sitting back.

I am sure both teams are motivated to get through - Oilers are tired of constantly being asked about 4-0 season series against us.  Canucks po'd of being told they are heavy underdogs and "steamrolled" by some analysts in this series.

Probably be an average of the two extremes  IMO - maybe go to game 6-7 - hopefully for us good guyz 🙂

justwin.jpg

Edited by hockeyfan-observer
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, IBatch said:

And Barkov.   And Stone/MT at 9.5 right?    This tweet or whatever is kind of a one off.   And silly.   The real thing is who's in the final four that's a low or no state tax team year after year after year after year.   That's a story.   

At least this year one Canadian team is going to make it.    And unless it's us it won't feel so good. 

If Edmonton manages to somehow beat us, Colorado or Dallas would absolutely destroy them.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, theochar said:

If that was ny theyd be throwing hands. Looking at it again might be London cant tell if they driving on the right. Or date night with my wife one or the other

I thought Europe as well though not really a gesture used much in Europe.
Any number of older cities would have streets like that.

The driver of the van sat there way too patiently watching these 2 idiots for me to think was NY. 

49 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

We are allowed to be in denial.   That said the team played reserved hockey with Silovs in the net, and so far this kid has some IT factor when it comes to elevating his game.    We'd all be more relieved with Demko in net for sure.   Healthy Demko.   That's what the team needs.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Not surprising, sounds like he could potentially be out all series regardless of how things go

Sounds like they're being cautious with him, which is good, because given his health struggles this season it's key that he get a healthy offseason in before camp 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rip The Mesh said:

This interview may surprise some;

Not terribly surprising, teams don't get to the second round by accident and players know that, they're almost certainly watching their potential rivals play too

Edmonton cruised past LA but they still had to work for it, Nashville was not an easy out for Vancouver 

Come playoff time regular season head to head records don't really matter because the playoffs are a different animal entirely 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'd actually be happier with troops and police downtown making sure things don't get out of hand again.

Even at the viewing party Friday night there was a strong police presence around the rink. It was reassuring. I thanked them for being there because it isn't an easy job to willingly "stand guard" to ensure public safety.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I know, I'm just being goofy. 

I can't wait for the usual suspects to get upset about "the Canucks fanbase" both in here and out in the media. Canucks fans being "bad" is a standard trope now, trotted out every time the online media needs an easy narrative. 

Those troping sh!t talking fkers. 🤣 Burn em all I say. Smother them with Oil and throw some Flames on there and toss them in Pacific to be eaten by Squids.

One more day ... :towel:

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, -dlc- said:

Even at the viewing party Friday night there was a strong police presence around the rink. It was reassuring. I thanked them for being there because it isn't an easy job to willingly "stand guard" to ensure public safety.

Especially since they'd like to be cheering the team on like everyone else.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

I am concerned, neither Silovs or DeSmith are Demko and I'd be much more optimistic about the Canucks's chances with Demko in net. Silovs played rock solid against Nashville but Nashville offense is not Edmonton's, I also firmly believe NHL experience matters, Silovs has played big games but this the NHL playoffs. 

That being said, there's not a whole lot anyone can do about it. It's shortsighted to risk Demko's health. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

I am concerned, neither Silovs or DeSmith are Demko and I'd be much more optimistic about the Canucks's chances with Demko in net. Silovs played rock solid against Nashville but Nashville offense is not Edmonton's, I also firmly believe NHL experience matters, Silovs has played big games but this the NHL playoffs. 

That being said, there's not a whole lot anyone can do about it. It's shortsighted to risk Demko's health. 

Lack of an NHL scouting report is an advantage for Silovs that many are overlooking.  There's a long list of goalies who fall off dramatically after their rookie season after teams see enough to develop a game plan for them.

Just now, King Heffy said:

Lack of an NHL scouting report is an advantage for Silovs that many are overlooking.  There's a long list of goalies who fall off dramatically after their rookie season after teams see enough to develop a game plan for them.

Perhaps, but it's not as if they'll have nothing. Like I said, Oilers players and staff were almost certainly watching the Nashville series. He also played a few games down the stretch. 

No bones about it, he's no Demko. This isn't to say he can't play well, or that he won't, but I do question how things will go without Demko.