[Waivers] September 28, 2023

Just now, Billabong said:

Not that surprised they couldn’t trade Martin 

Canucks had no leverage as other teams knew they would have to waive him eventually 

annnnnd losing 10 games in a row last year is a hard sell 

He might be a lot more tradeable when he clears waivers. Gives teams a bit more flexibility if he can be sent down.

12 minutes ago, Billabong said:

Not that surprised they couldn’t trade Martin 

Canucks had no leverage as other teams knew they would have to waive him eventually 

annnnnd losing 10 games in a row last year is a hard sell 

Too many other fringe goalies available over the next 2 weeks. Now is the time to waive him though, much better chance he will pass through waivers today than 2 weeks from now. I think he's capable as a backup for injury call up. As long as he doesn't have to play too many games, I think (speculation) that there's some endurance and focus issues when he has to carry too much workload for too long.

Sometimes, guys become tradeable once they have passed through waivers. Teams who might want someone as a backup in their system don't want to take the risk of trading for him until they know that he's cleared to be sent to the AHL.

Edited by VegasCanuck
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, NorthWestNuck said:

Surprised to see Pitts waive Smith. What happened? Same position Woo is in?

Never learned how to actually play defence.  He's absolute trash, but I'm surprised that Pittsburgh did that with a GM who doesn't care whether or not his blueliners play like NHLers in their own zone.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, NorthWestNuck said:

Surprised to see Pitts waive Smith. What happened? Same position Woo is in?

More or less. Pitts wants L/R like we do. Smith isn't a particularly good skater for someone who can struggle in the defensive end. I actually still think there is potential there, and wouldn't be surprised if he's claimed. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Too many other fringe goalies available over the next 2 weeks. Now is the time to waive him though, much better chance he will pass through waivers today than 2 weeks from now. I think he's capable as a backup for injury call up. As long as he doesn't have to play too many games, I think (speculation) that there's some endurance and focus issues when he has to carry too much workload for too long.

Sometimes, guys become tradeable once they have passed through waivers. Teams who might want someone as a backup in their system don't want to take the risk of trading for him until they know that he's cleared to be sent to the AHL.

Exactly.  THG makes that very point.  Colorado need a back-up for about 30 days, and if Martin clears waivers, they can trade for him and within 30 days can send him down without needing to clear waivers again. (If they - or any other team - acquired him before, then they risk losing him to waivers if they then sent him down, hence losing an asset (traded to us) for nothing)