Jonathan Lekkerimäki | RW

On 10/1/2023 at 11:09 AM, Hogs and Podz said:

I wanted Öhgren... But Lekky dropped to us.  Watched his highlight package.... Was like "okay, obviously has a shot!".  But ultimately, felt we needed a all around 200 ft player going forward.  Now that I see Lekkys development.  I see more of a cerebral offensive player that had defensive awareness, and getting better.  He ain't no Petey but is trending on becoming a #1-2 winger on Peteys/Miller's wing.  Not sure he'll ever be great on the wall digging for pucks but in space, knowing where to be and finding the soft area... Could be elite.

You can't teach how to score...players either have a knack for it or not, and its one of the most valuable skills in hockey. You can find guys to dig out pucks and play for cheap...what's harder is to find guys who can consistently score 30 or more goals a season. Hopefully, he's one....Boeser looked to be that guy but sadly I think he's 40-50 pt player and 20-24 goal guy.

On 10/2/2023 at 2:09 AM, Hogs and Podz said:

I wanted Öhgren... But Lekky dropped to us.  Watched his highlight package.... Was like "okay, obviously has a shot!".  But ultimately, felt we needed a all around 200 ft player going forward.  Now that I see Lekkys development.  I see more of a cerebral offensive player that had defensive awareness, and getting better.  He ain't no Petey but is trending on becoming a #1-2 winger on Peteys/Miller's wing.  Not sure he'll ever be great on the wall digging for pucks but in space, knowing where to be and finding the soft area... Could be elite.

Nice posts guys. At the end of the day?

IF you keep your draft picks. AND you stay true to drafting BPA! Most upside possible?  You will have a Lekkerimaki that blows the doors off. Another that makes it, is productive. Plus one that fails? They won't all hit. Injuries, life, the speed of the NHL, opportunity. But its also your team to get the diamonds in the rough in2knd and 4th rounds because you have that philosophy! Without drafting for upside, however, you are almost never to find elite productivity.  

5 hours ago, BlockerHigh said:

You can't teach how to score...players either have a knack for it or not, and its one of the most valuable skills in hockey. You can find guys to dig out pucks and play for cheap...what's harder is to find guys who can consistently score 30 or more goals a season. Hopefully, he's one....Boeser looked to be that guy but sadly I think he's 40-50 pt player and 20-24 goal guy.

Absolutely.

It is fair, important to recognize, that scoring is also not the only upside component. Kesler, for example, had as much upside defensively as a 40 goal scorer.  You need play drivers & puck control guys, D who can get it out of the zone, not get turned by Crosby.  

Looking at it from a standpoint of both a scorer, the glue guy who wins all the pucks & most other criteria where you can be an all star. Upside can be defined in ways other than scoring is my warning, my point.  Like a top D, I agree you will never get it without drafting it! So I like Lekkerimaki over Ohgren.

Almost nobody can be elite without having readily observable athletic that is always a mismatch. Even the glue guy, Hoglander has as much potential as a puck winner as Garland.  That because he has elite quickness to a puck, power to breakaway, puff to outlast guys & still dig. Corralling my point, the best scorer is also the guy who can score that has wicked speed & power; see Stamkos etc. Where anybody is close, grab the athlete as the decider.

In this context, Ohgren who looks like a great two way player, can even score; is he ever going to be a game breaker? Not the same power and agility.  

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

This kid is going to score like Mike Dave Bossy (see below). I see 50+ per year. Great pick by the great Allvin. 
Now kneel to Alf’s empties! 😆

Dave Bossy

Defense
Born -- Beaconsfield, PQ
Height 6.03 -- Weight 210 [191 cm/95 kg]
Drafted by Cincinnati Stingers
- round 9 #122 overall 1974 WHA Amateur Draft

Drafted by Denver Spurs/Ottawa Civics
- round 10 #128 overall 1975 WHA Amateur Draft

Regular Season Playoffs
Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM +/- GP G A Pts PIM
1973-74 Notre Dame WCHA 1 0 0 0 0            
1974-75 Notre Dame WCHA 27 3 1 4 39            
1975-76 Notre Dame WCHA 3 0 0 0 2            

Embed Dave Bossy stats! | View as text

• Haha 2

On 10/4/2023 at 5:34 PM, robr1can2 said:

And that's an ignorant response. I want to be informed about our prospects, not read two egoists argue about nothing related to this particular prospect. 

You are an ignorant totalitarian for commanding how others are allowed to communicate - don’t like it, don’t look instead of being part of a new wave of censorship. It’s YOU who needs to learn some tolerance.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ray_Cathode said:

You are an ignorant totalitarian for commanding how others are allowed to communicate - don’t like it, don’t look instead of being part of a new wave of censorship. It’s YOU who needs to learn some tolerance.

Name calling? Childish as well. Talk about Lek in this topic. Commanding? Censorship? Learn what those words mean before spewing detritus. A request was more like what I said.

1 hour ago, robr1can2 said:

Name calling? Childish as well. Talk about Lek in this topic. Commanding? Censorship? Learn what those words mean before spewing detritus. A request was more like what I said.

1 hour ago, robr1can2 said:

"And that's an ignorant response. I want to be informed about our prospects, not read two egoists argue about nothing related to this particular prospect. "

You initiated the name-calling. Remember the old saw about throwing stones? "Childish" is fair game, it describes behavior, but calling them 'egoists' is name calling. If you don't want that kind of behavior, don't practice it. Stating your preference is also fair game, focusing on the players is my preference, too.

8 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

"And that's an ignorant response. I want to be informed about our prospects, not read two egoists argue about nothing related to this particular prospect. "

You initiated the name-calling. Remember the old saw about throwing stones? "Childish" is fair game, it describes behavior, but calling them 'egoists' is name calling. If you don't want that kind of behavior, don't practice it. Stating your preference is also fair game, focusing on the players is my preference, too.

So then, let's both 'grow up" so to speak, and stay on topic for each of these players. Deal?

So, is Lek playing today? And how has he done?

2 hours ago, robr1can2 said:

So then, let's both 'grow up" so to speak, and stay on topic for each of these players. Deal?

So, is Lek playing today? And how has he done?

I have no problem with staying on topic, but if others don't, I don't have a problem with that, either. I don't feel a need to demand that others stay on topic, or even that they be polite. My option, if I don't have an interest in where they've gone, is to ignore them. You do realize that complaining about others going off topic, is another form of going off topic? Anyway, I'm enjoying Lek's breakout, it would have been an awful blow to the organization had he not. I kind of see Lek as a rerun of Naslund: a smaller guy with a killer shot and a knack for getting into great scoring positions - notice, I picked up your abreviation for our guy. The cleverness of others is a wonderful resource.

On 10/7/2023 at 1:28 PM, Captain Hughes said:

Ummm this is your captain speaking, stay on topic boys. I came in here to get my future teammate updates and instead I get an episode of Days Of Our Lives. 

Uh oh, you're not allowed to say that. @Ray_Cathode the tyrannical totalitarian topic-policing police gets upset when people tell people to stay on topic.

Edited by MatchesMalone
  • ThereItIs 1

14 hours ago, MatchesMalone said:

Uh oh, you're not allowed to say that. @Ray_Cathode the tyrannical totalitarian topic-policing police gets upset when people tell people to stay on topic.

as the other captain or captains assistant…. (Not important)

I stand by by captain Hughes to what he said and for y’all to stay on topic 

• Huggy Bear 1

11 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

So much for the NHL for him!  🤒

As much as we like to shit on Juolevi now, he was actually engaged in the board battle for the puck. Another seemingly failed prospect, forward Filip Hallander, was the one shying away in front of the net.

Regardless, nice to see Lekkerimaki continue his hot start.

• Cheers 1