Jonathan Lekkerimäki | RW

Here's an excerpt by Scott Wheeler from the Athletic on Lekkerimaki. Article is called "Which prospects have stood out early in the 23-24 season?"

Lekkerimaki was one of five non-USHL prospects mentioned.

"Jonathan Lekkerimaki, RW, Örebro HK (Vancouver Canucks)

After a couple of topsy-turvy seasons marked by some real highs and lows both for club and for country (and at times in health and in scheduling), Jonathan Lekkerimaki finished on one of those highs last season, helping Djurgarden to within a game of promotion with 15 points in 15 playoff games, including eight points in their seven-game HockeyAllsvenskan loss to MoDo. Still, there were questions entering this season, as he made the full-time jump to the SHL with Örebro. Would he keep the momentum going and re-solidify his status as one of the game’s more talented forward prospects, or would old roadblocks (a lack of pace and commitment off the puck, issues of play selection, etc.) re-present themselves against stiffer competition?

So far, it has been more of the former than the latter, with Lekkerimaki scoring four goals in six games split between SHL preseason and regular-season action, with 30 shot attempts (5 per game) and 16 shots on goal (2.7 per game) during that segment.

And while he has done most of his damage on the power play, where he’s most dangerous, it’s how he’s playing, not that he’s producing, that stands out: In his six regular-season and preseason games, he has played 85:04 (or 14:11 on average) and has yet to be scored against, outscoring the opposition 2-0 (both of which were on goals he scored) at five-on-five.

His easy catch-and-release action was on display here, but it’s him twice being on pucks early in the sequence that is positive:

There’s still a bit of a lack of separation speed in his straight-line skating, but it’s nice to see him getting back on the puck after he’s burned some energy on a rush here as well:

And while two of his four goals have been scored on one-touch shots from his off-wing on the power play, it has been doubly nice to see him creating with his feet diagonally instead of always attacking straight into space and at defenders (with the shooting into shins that has often come with it for him in the past)."

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sashimi said:

Here's an excerpt by Scott Wheeler from the Athletic on Lekkerimaki. Article is called "Which prospects have stood out early in the 23-24 season?"

Lekkerimaki was one of five non-USHL prospects mentioned.

"Jonathan Lekkerimaki, RW, Örebro HK (Vancouver Canucks)

After a couple of topsy-turvy seasons marked by some real highs and lows both for club and for country (and at times in health and in scheduling), Jonathan Lekkerimaki finished on one of those highs last season, helping Djurgarden to within a game of promotion with 15 points in 15 playoff games, including eight points in their seven-game HockeyAllsvenskan loss to MoDo. Still, there were questions entering this season, as he made the full-time jump to the SHL with Örebro. Would he keep the momentum going and re-solidify his status as one of the game’s more talented forward prospects, or would old roadblocks (a lack of pace and commitment off the puck, issues of play selection, etc.) re-present themselves against stiffer competition?

So far, it has been more of the former than the latter, with Lekkerimaki scoring four goals in six games split between SHL preseason and regular-season action, with 30 shot attempts (5 per game) and 16 shots on goal (2.7 per game) during that segment.

And while he has done most of his damage on the power play, where he’s most dangerous, it’s how he’s playing, not that he’s producing, that stands out: In his six regular-season and preseason games, he has played 85:04 (or 14:11 on average) and has yet to be scored against, outscoring the opposition 2-0 (both of which were on goals he scored) at five-on-five.

His easy catch-and-release action was on display here, but it’s him twice being on pucks early in the sequence that is positive:

There’s still a bit of a lack of separation speed in his straight-line skating, but it’s nice to see him getting back on the puck after he’s burned some energy on a rush here as well:

And while two of his four goals have been scored on one-touch shots from his off-wing on the power play, it has been doubly nice to see him creating with his feet diagonally instead of always attacking straight into space and at defenders (with the shooting into shins that has often come with it for him in the past)."

Lekkerimaki is like Bossy and will score 50 for us. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hammertime said:

Love to see it. If you don't think every fiber of my canuck fandom want's this kid to be a difference maker you couldn't be more mistaken. Still think Kemell/Bichsel were the right pick. But I'm thrilled to see Lekkerimaki trending up. 

Spot on... we may have a ahooter on the team, but are still without some big boys, who can play. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

5 hours ago, spook007 said:

Spot on... we may have a ahooter on the team, but are still without some big boys, who can play. 

I wanted Öhgren... But Lekky dropped to us.  Watched his highlight package.... Was like "okay, obviously has a shot!".  But ultimately, felt we needed a all around 200 ft player going forward.  Now that I see Lekkys development.  I see more of a cerebral offensive player that had defensive awareness, and getting better.  He ain't no Petey but is trending on becoming a #1-2 winger on Peteys/Miller's wing.  Not sure he'll ever be great on the wall digging for pucks but in space, knowing where to be and finding the soft area... Could be elite.

• Cheers 1

On 10/1/2023 at 4:09 PM, Hogs and Podz said:

I wanted Öhgren... But Lekky dropped to us.  Watched his highlight package.... Was like "okay, obviously has a shot!".  But ultimately, felt we needed a all around 200 ft player going forward.  Now that I see Lekkys development.  I see more of a cerebral offensive player that had defensive awareness, and getting better.  He ain't no Petey but is trending on becoming a #1-2 winger on Peteys/Miller's wing.  Not sure he'll ever be great on the wall digging for pucks but in space, knowing where to be and finding the soft area... Could be elite.

I have no doubt, Lekkerimakki will be a decent player, maybe even a good winger for us, and I'm happy for both him and the Canucks, that he has continued to improve. The club needs to hit on their 1st round picks....

However, this doesn't change the fact, to me at least, we are desperately short on quality players with a bit of size in both end of the rink. I was very happy with this years pick, but fear we'll continue to over pay for FAs with a bit of size and nastiness to them. Myers and Guddy standout like sore thumbs. Letting go of Schenn was somewhat disappointing to me. Not that I saw Schenn as the saving grace, but he did bring something to the table, that I fear we will shown up on....and at a decent price. Time will tell, but I don't see, who will do the dirty work, should it be necessary. Hope I'm wrong...

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

22 minutes ago, spook007 said:

I have no doubt, Lekkerimakki will be a decent player, maybe even a good winger for us, and I'm happy for both him and the Canucks, that he has continued to improve. The club needs to hit on their 1st round picks....

However, this doesn't change the fact, to me at least, we are desperately short on quality players with a bit of size in both end of the rink. I was very happy with this years pick, but fear we'll continue to over pay for FAs with a bit of size and nastiness to them. Myers and Guddy standout like sore thumbs. Letting go of Schenn was somewhat disappointing to me. Not that I saw Schenn as the saving grace, but he did bring something to the table, that I fear we will shown up on....and at a decent price. Time will tell, but I don't see, who will do the dirty work, should it be necessary. Hope I'm wrong...

I agree that size for this team overall is a concern.  However... If we do end I getting size through fa, let's hope the the trend to overpay to get has gone with previous regime.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, spook007 said:

I agree. I understand you are not supposed to draft for need but at the same time you still have to have an eye towards the direction you want for the team. At no point am I thinking a caufield/debrincat will be the guy to put this core into contention. And even if we throw this core away and the team is completely different in 3 years puny finess scoring winger is probably the easiest hole to fill via trade or FA. Lord I really hope Lekks is something special. It's great to see him doing well and trending positively. We have Brock, Garland, Beauvillier, Kuzmenko, Hoglander even if Lekkerimaki turns into a decent player and I really hope he does it just seems like when my daughter sneaks off to her room with a tub of ice cream right before dinner.  Alvin was feeling Snacki for Lekkerimaki.

Edited by Hammertime
  • Cheers 1

On 9/30/2023 at 9:26 PM, Hammertime said:

Love to see it. If you don't think every fiber of my canuck fandom want's this kid to be a difference maker you couldn't be more mistaken. Still think Kemell/Bichsel were the right pick. But I'm thrilled to see Lekkerimaki trending up. 

kemell definitely would have been a good pick

bichsel would have been a waste imo

overrated due to size, happier that we got D-Petey as a value pick in the third round

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

On 10/1/2023 at 8:09 AM, Hogs and Podz said:

I can see Lekkerimaki in our top 6 within 2 years. Not sure Boeser is going to stick here. His salary is too high and we need more ELC contracts to balance out the roster. 

Kuzmenko    Pettersson   Mikheyev 

Miller            Lekkerimaki 

I see us needing a hard nosed winger for the 2nd line to balance things out. Not sure Podkolzin will be that guy. He may top out as a hard working 3rd liner playing with Raty. 

The one guy in the NHL who would fit that 2nd line opening perfectly is Lawson Crouse. He’s being wasted in Arizona. He’s on a good contract for 4 more years. I’d go hard after Crouse. Would easily give up our 2024 1st for him plus two prospects. I’d give them Podkolzin if they wanted him. We could give them Beauvillier to balance out the salary. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I can see Lekkerimaki in our top 6 within 2 years. Not sure Boeser is going to stick here. His salary is too high and we need more ELC contracts to balance out the roster. 

Kuzmenko    Pettersson   Mikheyev 

Miller            Lekkerimaki 

I see us needing a hard nosed winger for the 2nd line to balance things out. Not sure Podkolzin will be that guy. He may top out as a hard working 3rd liner playing with Raty. 

The one guy in the NHL who would fit that 2nd line opening perfectly is Lawson Crouse. He’s being wasted in Arizona. He’s on a good contract for 4 more years. I’d go hard after Crouse. Would easily give up our 2024 1st for him plus two prospects. I’d give them Podkolzin if they wanted him. We could give them Beauvillier to balance out the salary. 

The fact that you have Kuzy Petty Mikv as the first line is the first thing you dont know about Millar and Boeser. they have been saddled with PDG who is an AHL player.

I dont know what more to say.