Am I the only one willing to overpay Hronek ?

4 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I question Hronek’s ability to carry his own pairing. Can he elevate someone like Hughes has elevated him?

Good players help elevate each others games.  If u put Myers with Hughes do u think they he can evaluate Myers game and still got the same amount of points he got?

Probably yes. 

I'd be willing to trade Hronek this off-season if he doesn't ease off his demands. He's not an 8M defenseman. This postseason he's been absolute ass. Bobbling pucks, getting beat, not shooting the puck, etc. He's the very definition of a bad contract in the making. No thanks. Pass. I'd rather have no RHD than have Hronek. 

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, Madskillz said:

Good players help elevate each others games.  If u put Myers with Hughes do u think they he can evaluate Myers game and still got the same amount of points he got?

He'd need to play with someone that's at least a top 4 in order for it to be a capable top pairing. Can't just throw a 3rd pair with Hughes. He'd elevate them but it wouldn't be a capable top pairing. Top 4 D don't have to be 8M+ which is kind of the point I am making with Hronek. 

You pay 8M+ for a defenseman he should be able to carry a pairing with a borderline top 4 defenseman like a Zadorov. If Hronek can do that then Hughes can eventually be with Willander then we'd have a good top 4. Right now IDK if Hronek is capable of that mainly because we haven't seen it since he's been with Hughes most the time. 

Hronek has been solid defensively the whole playoffs. I dont see how people are criticizing him for his performance. His lack of offense production has more to do with the coach's plan. We've been playing tight defensive for the entire playoffs. I don't think I've seen Hronek out of position. 

With that said I think Hronek is just an ok, acceptable 1RD. 

On 3/11/2024 at 3:21 PM, Miss Korea said:

Not even close.  Devon Toews is an elite defenceman with or without Makar.

Looks like we had it nailed from the start.   Made several posts saying there is no rush, and that we need more time to truly assess ... Riding shotgun to QHs is going to add some apples no matter who's there. 

Suggested Chychrun, as a comp, and also said he plays LHD, and is a bigger body.     To me, whatever the team offered, was probably reasonable.   Locking down Hronek at a 50 million dollar deal is a huge number and also a huge risk.    Why can't they do something reasonable that's in the Myers range instead?    Or what we used to do with Edler.    Made a long list of regrettable deals.   

Hronek hasn't reached his peak.   And deserves to get paid for it.    What did Myers do up until his UFA deal?   And what did Edler.   Is he better than Edler?   I don't think so.    Why can't the team sign him for 5-6 years at 6.5-7.25 instead.   

14 hours ago, Madskillz said:

Hronek got 48 with Hughes, Myers got 28 without Hughes..........if you put Myers and Hughes together for a full year, I'm betting Myers would put up at least 40.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Hronek got 48 with Hughes, Myers got 28 without Hughes..........if you put Myers and Hughes together for a full year, I'm betting Myers would put up at least 40.

I guarantee if you have a 35yo Myers playing 23min+ a night for 82 games and the playoffs, you will see chaos giraffe return.  He has been so much more effective because they've managed his minutes extremely well. 

He has played the lowest amount of minutes ATOI in his entire career.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Hronek has been solid defensively the whole playoffs. I dont see how people are criticizing him for his performance. His lack of offense production has more to do with the coach's plan. We've been playing tight defensive for the entire playoffs. I don't think I've seen Hronek out of position. 

With that said I think Hronek is just an ok, acceptable 1RD. 

Any ok acceptable RHD is gonna get paid a lot in the UFA market.  There's only so many guys capable of playing 23min+ a night consistently.  Pesce and Roy are gonna get all the attention this offseason.  Both will get at least $6M AAV.  Pesce likely 6.5M+.

I'd keep Hronek if it is $500k to $1M more than Pesce.  We know who he is and that he has chemistry with Hughes.  He's also only 26yo folks... people make it seem like he's 30yo already.  

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Any ok acceptable RHD is gonna get paid a lot in the UFA market.  There's only so many guys capable of playing 23min+ a night consistently.  Pesce and Roy are gonna get all the attention this offseason.  Both will get at least $6M AAV.  Pesce likely 6.5M+.

I'd keep Hronek if it is $500k to $1M more than Pesce.  We know who he is and that he has chemistry with Hughes.  He's also only 26yo folks... people make it seem like he's 30yo already.  

I think $7M x 8yrs is the highest I would go.  Fingers crossed that he can replicate his play away from Hughes.  Then Canucks can have two lethal D pairings.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HKSR said:

Exactly this. We haven't even seen the best of what Hughes and Hronek can do.

Also, Hronek continuing to work with Foote and Gonchar will only help him become better.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

13 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

He'd need to play with someone that's at least a top 4 in order for it to be a capable top pairing. Can't just throw a 3rd pair with Hughes. He'd elevate them but it wouldn't be a capable top pairing. Top 4 D don't have to be 8M+ which is kind of the point I am making with Hronek. 

You pay 8M+ for a defenseman he should be able to carry a pairing with a borderline top 4 defenseman like a Zadorov. If Hronek can do that then Hughes can eventually be with Willander then we'd have a good top 4. Right now IDK if Hronek is capable of that mainly because we haven't seen it since he's been with Hughes most the time. 

8 mill would be an overpayment and yes your right paying that amount he should be capable of carrying his own pairing, but how I see it having 2 top offensive d on one pair most of the time will dominate in other teams offensive zone.  If we can get a RHD defensive d with some offensive IQ we to pair with Hughes will be able to split them up and for now Hughes has said Hronek has been the best d partner he's had since coming into the league and now a Norris nominee, so I believe Hronek should be credited in helping elevate Hughes game.

6 hours ago, stawns said:

Yes Myers will get more points with Hughes your right, but I do see more goals against that pairing knowing Myers has his brain farts defensively.  If you notice alot of times Hronek always look to pass to Hughes in the offensive zone and let him do his thing and has covered alot of odd man rush while allowing his partners offensive game to flourish to has max potential and if he was with Myers I see alot more breakaways for opposing team.  I would much rather have a guy with 29pts with +16 then a guy with 40pts with +0 playing top pairing minutes u go against other teams top lines whereas lower pairing will play against weaker lines which makes life easier for dmen.

Just now, Madskillz said:

8 mill would be an overpayment and yes your right paying that amount he should be capable of carrying his own pairing, but how I see it having 2 top offensive d on one pair most of the time will dominate in other teams offensive zone.  If we can get a RHD defensive d with some offensive IQ we to pair with Hughes will be able to split them up and for now Hughes has said Hronek has been the best d partner he's had since coming into the league and now a Norris nominee, so I believe Hronek should be credited in helping elevate Hughes game.

I don’t see him worth 8M. 

Hughes is a top 3 defenseman in the league. He had almost double Hronek’s point total. Hughes was already trending upwards prior to Hronek. 

We have Willander in the wings who his coach stated he sees as a minute muncher/solid partner to a #1. Pesce is in the free agent market and is a better overall defenseman 

Hronek hasn’t produced that great in the playoffs either. He hasn’t even produced a single point and is a minus player. Meanwhile Hughes has 9 points in spite of Hronek not pitching in.

Zadorov has 8 points and has taken away some of Hronek’s minutes outplaying him. They are almost playing the same minutes now when in the season there was over a 6 minute gap in terms of ice time between them. 

Not a single point out of Hronek, our only regular lineup defenseman without one in the playoffs. That doesn’t really scream top 2 offensive defenseman to me. 

Now considering he hasn’t elevated his play like other defenders on the team, how we don’t know if he can carry a pairing like Hughes and how Hughes has been Hughes offensively despite Hronek’s lack of offensive production have I really question whether he is actually elevating Hughes to the point where he’s worth an overpayment. 

Especially considering the defenseman on the market and having Willander in the wings. 

I am leaning towards no. I am questioning signing him in the 7s when a guy like Devon Toews is in the 7s and is a notch or two better than Hronek. 

If he signs high 6s I am all for it.  To me he’s a good top 4 D playing with one of the best D in the league. 

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I don’t see him worth 8M. 

Hughes is a top 3 defenseman in the league. He had almost double Hronek’s point total. Hughes was already trending upwards prior to Hronek. 

We have Willander in the wings who his coach stated he sees as a minute muncher/solid partner to a #1. Pesce is in the free agent market and is a better overall defenseman 

Hronek hasn’t produced that great in the playoffs either. He hasn’t even produced a single point and is a minus player. Meanwhile Hughes has 9 points in spite of Hronek not pitching in.

Zadorov has 8 points and has taken away some of Hronek’s minutes outplaying him. They are almost playing the same minutes now when in the season there was over a 6 minute gap in terms of ice time between them. 

Not a single point out of Hronek, our only regular lineup defenseman without one in the playoffs. That doesn’t really scream top 2 offensive defenseman to me. 

Now considering he hasn’t elevated his play like other defenders on the team, how we don’t know if he can carry a pairing like Hughes and how Hughes has been Hughes offensively despite Hronek’s lack of offensive production have I really question whether he is actually elevating Hughes to the point where he’s worth an overpayment. 

Especially considering the defenseman on the market and having Willander in the wings. 

I am leaning towards no. I am questioning signing him in the 7s when a guy like Devon Toews is in the 7s and is a notch or two better than Hronek. 

If he signs high 6s I am all for it.  To me he’s a good top 4 D playing with one of the best D in the league. 

Agreed he's not worth 8, but he will get 6.5-7.5 depending if he wants to be with contenders or pretenders and who knows their might be some smart teams who want to pay him 8+ mill 😉 he's 26 proven to put up points before coming here playing with Hughes he's gonna be second guy players find if Hughes isn't open.

He's been good during regular season for us to make the playoffs playing against top line he's gonna be the defensive defenseman of the 2, so saying his 48pt production is mostly because of Hughes isn't true because their are 5 players max 3pt on a goal ( 1 goal 2 assist) if they were giving out 3rd assist he would be alot higher in pts and he's often the 5th guy in the ozone to be a threat so he's more likely to touch the puck the less and have the less shot on net.

I'm just saying he's a good player to have played all year 81 games 1 missed game on the last game of season is 3 years younger than Pesce and no Pesce is not better overall if u think he's worth more than 5.5mil then I much rather keep Myers at 4-4.5 lower the better.

Willander no one knows how long he will take to make the big club, but he's definitely got the tools and size to make it sooner than later.

Let's just be excited we're one away from Confrence Finals whatever happens now has been a big success this year CHEERS!!!!

• Cheers 1

On 5/16/2024 at 4:03 PM, DarthMelvin said:

I don't think Blue feels this way anymore lol

Everyone would tell him the same thing but oh boy did we dodge a bullet eh

I really think signing Hronek still needs to be a priority. I know a lot of people have soured on him since supposedly rejecting our first offer and his his somewhat lackluster second half and playoffs thus far, but it wasn't that long ago when our right side was absolutely barren and we were desperate to find a RD that could keep up with Hughes. When I see folk suggest trading him for a winger I have to shake my head. 

I think a relatively short term deal could be beneficial to both sides. Something in the ballpark of 3 years/21 million. 

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, BPA said:

I think $7M x 8yrs is the highest I would go.  Fingers crossed that he can replicate his play away from Hughes.  Then Canucks can have two lethal D pairings.

He’s replicated his play without Hughes in Detroit, don’t know why people are so hung up on this. 

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, Madskillz said:

Yes Myers will get more points with Hughes your right, but I do see more goals against that pairing knowing Myers has his brain farts defensively.  If you notice alot of times Hronek always look to pass to Hughes in the offensive zone and let him do his thing and has covered alot of odd man rush while allowing his partners offensive game to flourish to has max potential and if he was with Myers I see alot more breakaways for opposing team.  I would much rather have a guy with 29pts with +16 then a guy with 40pts with +0 playing top pairing minutes u go against other teams top lines whereas lower pairing will play against weaker lines which makes life easier for dmen.

Stawns was adamant we could replace Boeser with Virtanen, take his opinion with a big grain of salt 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, IBatch said:

Looks like we had it nailed from the start.   Made several posts saying there is no rush, and that we need more time to truly assess ... Riding shotgun to QHs is going to add some apples no matter who's there. 

Suggested Chychrun, as a comp, and also said he plays LHD, and is a bigger body.     To me, whatever the team offered, was probably reasonable.   Locking down Hronek at a 50 million dollar deal is a huge number and also a huge risk.    Why can't they do something reasonable that's in the Myers range instead?    Or what we used to do with Edler.    Made a long list of regrettable deals.   

Hronek hasn't reached his peak.   And deserves to get paid for it.    What did Myers do up until his UFA deal?   And what did Edler.   Is he better than Edler?   I don't think so.    Why can't the team sign him for 5-6 years at 6.5-7.25 instead.   

Still an overpay

22 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Probably yes. 

I'd be willing to trade Hronek this off-season if he doesn't ease off his demands. He's not an 8M defenseman. This postseason he's been absolute ass. Bobbling pucks, getting beat, not shooting the puck, etc. He's the very definition of a bad contract in the making. No thanks. Pass. I'd rather have no RHD than have Hronek. 

Agree 100% 

Apparently Blue thinks Hronek's contract will age like Miller's and everyone will eat their words. 

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

Stawns was adamant we could replace Boeser with Virtanen, take his opinion with a big grain of salt 

Virtanen had the speed size and a good shot not to mention hard hitter too bad he loves booze more than playing hockey.