[Article] Calgary Flames Reportedly Shopping Defensemen

Calgary Flames Reportedly Shopping Defensemen

November 6th, 2023 at 8:15pm CST • By Brennan McClain

As the Calgary Flames transitioned behind the bench from Darryl Sutter to Ryan Huska over the summer, many of the players scheduled to hit unrestricted free agency next offseason wanted to take the ‘wait-and-see’ approach in regards to signing a contract extension in Alberta. Needless to say, the Flames have not gotten off to a solid start, starting off 3-7-1, quickly alienating any chances that certain players will want to re-up on a new deal.

Aside from the potential departure of Elias Lindholm, Calgary is also set to lose five defensemen to the open market next July, leading the team to some difficult choices moving forward.

This past summer, many reports indicated that defenseman Noah Hanifin was unwilling to sign an extension with the Flames, leading to plenty of trade rumors surrounding him and the organization.

In an earlier report today, Rick Dhaliwal relayeda note from Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman, saying that the Flames are actively engaging the market on Hanifin, Chris Tanev, and Nikita Zadorov. Furthermore, it was reported that the Toronto Maple Leafs, Vancouver Canucks, and Edmonton Oilers are showing the most interest in these defensemen.

It is reasonable to assume, especially if Calgary continues its current trajectory on the season, that more and more teams will come calling as the season nears the trade deadline. Of the three teams listed as having interest, the Oilers seem the least plausible, given that the Flames and Oilers have only made three trades with each other, the last one being the James Neal – Milan Lucic swap in 2019.

Especially if all three players are seen as rentals, the Buffalo Sabres, Boston Bruins, Colorado Avalanche, Detroit Red Wings, Los Angeles Kings, and New York Rangers could all come calling at this year’s trade deadline. If any or all three are open to signing extensions with the respective acquiring clubs, teams such as the Anaheim Ducks and Arizona Coyotes could certainly become interested, as well.

Given his ability to play a high amount of minutes each night, Hanifin will likely net Calgary the biggest return, although Tanev and Zadorov will also bring significant interest given their skill sets. If they are open to retooling or even a short-term rebuild, trading these three would be a logical way to start that process.

Nevertheless, there is a chance the Flames could turn their season around, leading them to hang onto their pending unrestricted free agents for a playoff run. However, if they are unable to straighten the ship, aside from a few trades over the years, there isn’t a precedent set for a trade of this magnitude being made so early in the season. If Calgary hangs on to all three as we get closer to the deadline, other playoff-bound teams’ desperation will increase their return overall.

link to rest of article:

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2023/11/calgary-flames-reportedly-shopping-defensemen.html#ref=home

2 hours ago, RWJC said:

Calgary Flames Reportedly Shopping Defensemen

November 6th, 2023 at 8:15pm CST • By Brennan McClain

As the Calgary Flames transitioned behind the bench from Darryl Sutter to Ryan Huska over the summer, many of the players scheduled to hit unrestricted free agency next offseason wanted to take the ‘wait-and-see’ approach in regards to signing a contract extension in Alberta. Needless to say, the Flames have not gotten off to a solid start, starting off 3-7-1, quickly alienating any chances that certain players will want to re-up on a new deal.

Aside from the potential departure of Elias Lindholm, Calgary is also set to lose five defensemen to the open market next July, leading the team to some difficult choices moving forward.

This past summer, many reports indicated that defenseman Noah Hanifin was unwilling to sign an extension with the Flames, leading to plenty of trade rumors surrounding him and the organization.

In an earlier report today, Rick Dhaliwal relayeda note from Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman, saying that the Flames are actively engaging the market on Hanifin, Chris Tanev, and Nikita Zadorov. Furthermore, it was reported that the Toronto Maple Leafs, Vancouver Canucks, and Edmonton Oilers are showing the most interest in these defensemen.

It is reasonable to assume, especially if Calgary continues its current trajectory on the season, that more and more teams will come calling as the season nears the trade deadline. Of the three teams listed as having interest, the Oilers seem the least plausible, given that the Flames and Oilers have only made three trades with each other, the last one being the James Neal – Milan Lucic swap in 2019.

Especially if all three players are seen as rentals, the Buffalo Sabres, Boston Bruins, Colorado Avalanche, Detroit Red Wings, Los Angeles Kings, and New York Rangers could all come calling at this year’s trade deadline. If any or all three are open to signing extensions with the respective acquiring clubs, teams such as the Anaheim Ducks and Arizona Coyotes could certainly become interested, as well.

Given his ability to play a high amount of minutes each night, Hanifin will likely net Calgary the biggest return, although Tanev and Zadorov will also bring significant interest given their skill sets. If they are open to retooling or even a short-term rebuild, trading these three would be a logical way to start that process.

Nevertheless, there is a chance the Flames could turn their season around, leading them to hang onto their pending unrestricted free agents for a playoff run. However, if they are unable to straighten the ship, aside from a few trades over the years, there isn’t a precedent set for a trade of this magnitude being made so early in the season. If Calgary hangs on to all three as we get closer to the deadline, other playoff-bound teams’ desperation will increase their return overall.

link to rest of article:

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2023/11/calgary-flames-reportedly-shopping-defensemen.html#ref=home

Bargain bin????

8 minutes ago, Provost said:

Tanev has some trade protection, either he or Zadorov would be solid additions

Tanev especially.

We could really use another top 4 D in the short term. Season is long and IDK if the D-core is equipped for a serious injury with one of our top 3 D. 

Also would allow Hronek to carry a pairing or even have Cole be with a guy like Tanev for a true defensive pairing.

Bottom 6 could use some more grit too. Not just guys like Joshua but guys who play physical and can supply better secondary scoring or play well defensively/PK.

If the team continues to play well 1/3 of the way into the season I say we pull the trigger and start making some additions.

18 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Tanev especially.

We could really use another top 4 D in the short term. Season is long and IDK if the D-core is equipped for a serious injury with one of our top 3 D. 

Also would allow Hronek to carry a pairing or even have Cole be with a guy like Tanev for a true defensive pairing.

Bottom 6 could use some more grit too. Not just guys like Joshua but guys who play physical and can supply better secondary scoring or play well defensively/PK.

If the team continues to play well 1/3 of the way into the season I say we pull the trigger and start making some additions.

I dunno.  The flames aren't going to take a bad contract for a bad contract.  They'll want assets that can help them later too.  The only thing I do with the flames is trade Beau for Tanev, but then why would we help them by sweetening the deal?  Even Myers and Garland are playing fantastic right now.

The Canucks are flying right now.  Yes we need help on D but I'd rather see them trade a young forward asset for a young D asset for the farm team and a call-up than have an older rental player again.  I loved Tanev over the years but don't want to see that tainted by a bad trade here.

Edited by NHL97OneTimer

2 hours ago, Shekky said:

Yeah its not surprising there just a complete mess I didn't think they were going to be that good after they lost Tkachuk and Gaudreau. What they brought back just didn't look impressive. 

Oh man that huberdeau contract is going to be brutal for a very long time.  Him and Kadri have a lot of money tied up for the worst +/- on the team.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Provost said:

Tanev has some trade protection, either he or Zadorov would be solid additions

I'd probably hold off on Zadorov until the offseason and try and get him signed then. Cole has been holding his own on that second pairing quite nicely so far. I might try and add Tanev though. Having him and Cole together would make for a pretty damn good shutdown pairing, plus we'd finally have another option to play with Hughes. 

• ThereItIs 1

41 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapshot said:

I'd probably hold off on Zadorov until the offseason and try and get him signed then. Cole has been holding his own on that second pairing quite nicely so far. I might try and add Tanev though. Having him and Cole together would make for a pretty damn good shutdown pairing, plus we'd finally have another option to play with Hughes. 

Cole and Zadorov can both play the right side so could form a very solid defensive and physical second pairing. The bigger issue though is that none of these players are free. All three are good/very good defensemen who will have a lot of value to playoff teams. Calgary could easily start a bidding war on them. Zadorov might end up costing something like Garland at 1M retained (to make the cap work) plus two 2nd round picks. 

Hanifin should be off the table for the Canucks as you're probably looking at a bigger price tag than the Horvat deal. That's just too many pieces to be giving up for a still somewhat untested team.

14 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

With Weegar, Kadri, and Huberdeau signed long-term I wouldn't be surprised if Calgary tries to do some one-for-one trades instead of acquiring futures. Maybe something like Hanifin for Pesce and Lindholm for Scheifele.

there’s like 0 chance scheifele who just signed his deal with ntc would waive to go to a sinking ship nor would they trade for lindholm an expiring ufa that’s unlikely to sign in Winnipeg of all places. If Calgary trades 1 for 1 it would be for pieces that have terms left.. there’s almost 0 chance any player in their prime would look to sign in Calgary given the mess they are in and the future uncertainty. Almost impossible to sell them hopes for playoff 

4 hours ago, CaptainCanuck12 said:

No way I want us to give up assets to the Flames for Tanev after they stole him from us for free!

Wasn't it Tanev who jumped early? It was his choice.

Not in favor of bringing Tanev back as the TOI he eats would be better spent on younger players. It would be a step back IMHO. 

25 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Wasn't it Tanev who jumped early? It was his choice.

Not in favor of bringing Tanev back as the TOI he eats would be better spent on younger players. It would be a step back IMHO. 

If he’s cheap he’s be a placeholder for eventually willander. I wouldn’t be opposed to tanev for something like 3 years if the cap hit is good. That would cover the spike from OEL buyout. 

• Cheers 2

8 hours ago, Shekky said:

Yeah its not surprising there just a complete mess I didn't think they were going to be that good after they lost Tkachuk and Gaudreau. What they brought back just didn't look impressive. 

I disagree.  I thought the right move was to completely blow things up as soon as Gaudreau left, but I changed my mind after they got Hubrdeau, Kadri and Weegar.

On paper I expected Huberdeau and Kadri to at least carry their weight on what was essentially the same team as the previous year.  But everyone regressed so hard I changed my mind again by the end of last season.  Sutter of all coaches failed to get the team to do anything and now Huska is even worse.

In the end I think this is good for Calgary as they might finally start a rebuild they've desperately needed for over 10 years.

13 hours ago, aGENT said:

Either Zadorov (preferred) or Tanev would be good adds at the right price (especially if Garland or Beau are going back). Otherwise I prefer we wait until summer. Let someone else pay ++ assets to rent them.

Yes and highly unlikely we are their first choice either unless a huge overpayment.