2019-20 Team: MHK Dynamo Moskva
Date of Birth: Feb. 15, 2002
Place of Birth: Voronezh, Russia
Ht: 5-foot-11 Wt: 181 pounds
Shoots: Left
Position: C
NHL Draft Eligibility: 2020 first-year eligible

Rankings

Dmitri Zlodeyev is a player who gives it his all on every shift. While he may not be as well-known as some other prospects coming out of the MHL, he still impressed this past season playing for MHK Dynamo Moskva. In 42 games played, he managed to score 12 goals and added 16 assists for 28 points to go along with 45 minutes in penalties.

While looking at his stats, some people may expect Zlodeyev to be a physical player but he does not use his body like some scouts wish he would. While he has decent size, Zlodeyev does not do well along the boards and is usually outmuscled in a one on one situation. If he can learn to use his body to his advantage, it will certainly become a positive in his game but at this point, it takes away from his overall game down low.

Related: THW’s 2020 NHL Draft Guide

Where Zlodeyev shines though is in the offensive zone. Blessed with great vision, he is able to spot teammates in the slot and creates high end scoring chances with ease. Pair that with a deceptive shot and he is a weapon to be reckoned with. Zlodeyev is also a great skater. He is able to quickly get to top speed and is able to cut back on a dime when pressured by an opposing defenseman. When the puck transitions the other way, he makes sure to get back and can be relied upon to help out his defenders and goalie when needed.

Dmitri Zlodeyev Team Russia Dmitri Zlodeyev of Team Russia (Russia Hockey/FHR.ru)

While Zlodeyev will need more time to develop, he has the tools needed to make an impact at the next level. Whenever he steps out on the ice, he plays a solid two-way game that coaches love to see. He is certainly an interesting prospect and could benefit a team down the road.

Other THW Profiles

Quotables

“Zlodeyev had a stellar 2019-20 season for both club and country. He is a very strong two-way player who is quick on his feet, but lacks some aggression. Despite playing a soft game for the most part, he uses that speed to terrorize the opposition in the defensive zone. He tends to shy away from board battles and stands in positions that allow the opponents to easily get the puck when it moves away from the boards.” – Dylan Griffing/DobberProspects

“Zlodeyev is as complete a two-way center as you’ll find. He’s a quick, upright skater with timely bursts into open ice, but there’s a significant level of violence to the way he moves; almost like a tiger increasing its rate of speed as it locks in on its prey.” – Steve Kournianos/The Draft Analyst

Dmitri Zlodeyev – 2020 NHL Draft Projection

With Zlodeyev being ranked 32nd amongst European skaters by NHL Central Scouting, I predict he goes a little after where they have him ranked. He has great offensive potential and has the ability to change the game with his playmaking ability but I don’t see him being a second or third-round pick. If I had to choose I see him going in the fourth round on draft day.

Strengths

• Vision
  • Deceptive shot
  • Defensive awareness

Under Construction – Improvements to Make

• Not being afraid to battle against bigger opponents

NHL Potential

Zlodeyev possesses tools that some people simply cannot teach. His effort on the ice is something that never ceases and he is always looking to make a play at both ends of the ice. In the future, if he develops properly, I could see him becoming a solid middle-six center who sees some time one the power play. Although some centers make the transition to the wing when they make the NHL, I see Zlodeyev being able to stay in the middle as he is really valuable in the offensive zone.

Risk/Reward Analysis 

Risk – 3/5, Reward – 3.5/5

Fantasy Hockey Potential 

Offense – 8/10, Defense – 7/10

Awards/Achievements

In 2019-20, while representing his native country of Russia, Zlodeyev was a part of the team that won a Hlinka Gretzky Cup gold medal.

Edited by Rusty Shackleford

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, robr1can2 said:

Abbotsford Canucks roster has been released - no Dmitri Zlodeyev. Any updates as to where he may play? Other than back in Russia?

good find, I just looked at the roster and didn't notice his omition!

I was hoping he would be able to play in Abbotsford this year as I always wondered if he could maybe be a 4th C in the NHL possibly one day

1 hour ago, Viking said:

good find, I just looked at the roster and didn't notice his omition!

I was hoping he would be able to play in Abbotsford this year as I always wondered if he could maybe be a 4th C in the NHL possibly one day

Not on Kalamazoo roster either. Don't think he got signed as of yet and maybe they are not going to.

Not sure of this clip I found in elite prospects. Does not state the nature of the contract but assume it was an ATO.

image.jpeg.2f6421fa9bc564d323c16b2e58e73984.jpeg

Edited by Kootenay Gold

11 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

He may get loamed to either the ECHL or a Euopean team. 

I wonder if the holdup is his release from the KHL team he signed with or if it is visa work permit related. Visa should be good as he was at training camp. It has many on here wondering where he is, myself included

CANUCKS SIGN ZLODEYEV TO ONE-YEAR AHL CONTRACT

Oct 15th 2023

By Abbotsford Canucks

Abbotsford Canucks General Manager, Ryan Johnson, announced today that the club has signed forward Dmitri Zlodeyev to a one-year contract for the 2023-24 AHL season.

Zlodeyev, 21, split the 2022-23 campaign between the Kontinental Hockey League’s Spartak Moscow and its minor league affiliate Khimik Voskresensk, skating in 18 KHL games and 33 VHL games last season. He helped Khimik capture the 2023 VHL Championship, recording three goals and 16 penalty minutes over 17 postseason games.

The 5-11, 183-pound centre was selected by the Vancouver Canucks in the sixth round (175th overall) of the 2020 NHL Entry Draft, and has since attended two Canucks development camps before receiving an invitation to both Vancouver and Abbotsford’s main training camps in 2023. Since turning professional in Russia, Zlodeyev has recorded one assist over 20 KHL games and 24 points (15 goals, nine assists) over 70 VHL games played.

Born in Voronezh, Russia, Zlodeyev represented his country throughout his junior career, highlighted by a Gold Medal at the 2020 IIHF Hlinka Gretzky Cup as a part of Russia’s U18 team. He recorded three points (one goal, two assists) during the tournament, while serving as an alternate captain.

ABBOTSFORD CANUCKS

https://abbotsford.canucks.com/news/canucks-sign-zlodeyev-to-one-year-ahl-contract-2

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

• 1 month later...

There's no news about him since Abby signed him for a 1yr contract.  It would have been reported

if he had been sent to Kalamazoo and there's been no news about an injury.

Maybe he's just not good enough for the AHL.  Despite all the hype regarding Craig Button's

outstanding scouting abilities (he predicted that Zlodeyev would become an

“elite offensive no. 1 center”).  High praise for a player that was picked in the 6th round.

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

There's no news about him since Abby signed him for a 1yr contract.  It would have been reported

if he had been sent to Kalamazoo and there's been no news about an injury.

Maybe he's just not good enough for the AHL.  Despite all the hype regarding Craig Button's

outstanding scouting abilities (he predicted that Zlodeyev would become an

“elite offensive no. 1 center”).  High praise for a player that was picked in the 6th round.

I think he was injured in preseason, but could be wrong.

I just assumed his contractual issues were cleared up before he signed here but maybe there are some lingering problems. I always had the feeling the bear felt poked and there was a lot more going on than we knew.

Even so, it wasn't a sympathy signing. I think he could be mid-tier good. his determination is top-notch. 

• Upvote 1