Danila Klimovich | RW

4 hours ago, HKSR said:

Yeah, in the draft, it should be always BPA... but if you have a couple guys that are relatively close in potential, always go for either the centre or the defenceman.  ESPECIALLY if it's a RHD or RHC.  Can't really blame the Canucks with Klimovich though, it was a very solid pick.  The only other guy that made sense would have been Raty.  Stankoven was and still is a tiny player, and Pinelli wasn't that special at the time of the draft.  I would have liked Heimosalmi too.

I mean from what I remember Klim was ranked as a 3rd round talent where we had 1rst round talent guys on the board at premium positions. I get that you pay scouts for a reason but come on that’s a rough pick to make with the guys left on the board.

11 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

I mean from what I remember Klim was ranked as a 3rd round talent where we had 1rst round talent guys on the board at premium positions. I get that you pay scouts for a reason but come on that’s a rough pick to make with the guys left on the board.

Yeah, he was ranked 64th by Bob Mckenzie... so a late 2nd.

https://www.tsn.ca/bob-mckenzie-s-2021-final-draft-rankings-1.1669727

Look where Raty and Pinelli were ranked... yikes.

49 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Klim wasn’t our club’s scouts’ pick. Klim was a Benning (the moran) pick. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kettlevalley said:

Regardless how we picked him, he is not looking like a good pick at this point.  

Yup. Seems like a quality young man just not an nhl level player. Benning should have let the scouts do their jobs. 

Straight to the bust pile with you Klimo lol. 

I like some others here felt like Stank was the sure fire pick at that point, and that's not being revisionist, watching him at the worlds that year and his stats he would have gone top 15 if he had been bigger.  Of course I get Shinkaruk vibes with any player of that profile but he was certainly a better swing for the fences pick at that slot considering the upside and how fewer draft picks we had last year. 

Now that aside i still think its too early to write this kid off - This was the year you felt he could break out, but from the start he didn't look right and a good step back from his strong finish to last season. Ultimately he's had a nightmare season with injury, but will he come out of it like Lekkermaki or like Juolevi ?  I still don't think they have disclosed what the injury was or if there were two different injuries as he did come back midseason and looked good, scoring a couple then disappeared again shortly afterwards. 

Ultimately this kid could be a more offensively gifted Pods - and suffers from a lot of the same problems too, with regards to on ice decision making, confidence and intelligence.  If he can put it all together he could be an absolute force and physically really fit into the big team. He's still a long way from that sure, but still young and its sad to see him getting written off already. 

• Like 3
  • Vintage 1

40 minutes ago, RomanPer said:

The kid is fine and Sedins still have utmost confidence in him. Talked to him earlier in the week. This is just an off year that started badly with multiple injuries and then the AHL roster was set and doing quite well, so it was hard for him to break in. His mindset is good, he's not getting frustrated and is working hard. All the "written off" comments are from the couch GMs who think they know everything.

klim = bust 

Starting to feel like Dan Milstein is a snake oil salesman who sold this player to Canucks management. Not surprised he's taking his clown car to Calgary now so he can dupe Craig Conroy. 

5 minutes ago, Bane said:

Starting to feel like Dan Milstein is a snake oil salesman who sold this player to Canucks management. Not surprised he's taking his clown car to Calgary now so he can dupe Craig Conroy. 

We traded Klim to Calgary? 

Klim may need a fresh start with an organization interested in developing him.  The reality is old regime picks will not get the same opportunities as guys picked  by new management.  It's how it goes.  Klimovich has physical tools to be an NHL guy but you can't get there without opportunity.

• Haha 1

Klim may need a fresh start with an organization interested in developing him.  The reality is old regime picks will not get the same opportunities as guys picked  by new management.  It's how it goes.  Klimovich has physical tools to be an NHL guy but you can't get there without opportunity.

3 hours ago, flat land fish said:

Judging by the fact that both Sedins continue working with him personally, I don't buy "not the same opportunity" argument, sorry.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

He was drafted as a skill guy has he received top 6 minutes? 

Klim grew up playing in leagues where he was a lot bigger and better than his peers. He could carry the puck and dominate. He’s learning how to play the right way. Benning (the moran) was hopping Klim’s skills would translate to NA hockey. Klim is a big guy. If it works out he will be a player. Considering his early lack of proper development it could still work out. He’s got a lot of runway left. Whether he gets up to speed and takes off or stalls out is still up in the air. 

20 hours ago, RomanPer said:

The kid is fine and Sedins still have utmost confidence in him. Talked to him earlier in the week. This is just an off year that started badly with multiple injuries and then the AHL roster was set and doing quite well, so it was hard for him to break in. His mindset is good, he's not getting frustrated and is working hard. All the "written off" comments are from the couch GMs who think they know everything.

It does look like injuries really derailed his year. He had been steadily progressing the past two seasons so I'm happy to see if he can get back on track next season.

1 hour ago, Diamonds said:

It does look like injuries really derailed his year. He had been steadily progressing the past two seasons so I'm happy to see if he can get back on track next season.

Exactly that.

4 hours ago, flat land fish said:

He was drafted as a skill guy has he received top 6 minutes? 

He needed to learn 200 foot game in North America first, that’s why his minutes were limited the first 2 seasons (he was also the youngest on the team). Even with limited minutes, he was second in scoring on the team last season. This year is an aberration related to a series of injuries at the beginning of the season.

• Cheers 1

Tough year for Klim but he'll be alright. 

He's young and there's still plenty of hockey to be played.

It's quite impressive how far he's come since being drafted. 

I haven't written him off and think next year will be his best

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/11/2024 at 1:15 AM, RomanPer said:

I was really happy to see Danila on the list of the Black Aces today. Obviously, there’s probably zero chance of him playing actual games for the Canucks in these playoffs, but it speaks volumes about what the management thinks about his position between Canucks prospects. Everyone understands that this year was shit due to many things out of his control. Including him on the list is the sign of trust by the management and that’s precisely what he was told today in person. His confidence just shot straight up. #LFG Klim!!!

Agreed.  We forgot that he is still a junior aged that don't play much this season.  Maybe he will be given more opportunity as his body matures and has the natural talent to take his game to a new level.  He was able to get in a few games and unfortunately, injury has slowed him down.  

• Like 1