[Trade] Canucks Acquire Elias Lindholm from Calgary for Andrei Kuzmenko, Hunter Brzustewicz, Joni Jurmo, 2024 1st and Conditional 2024 4th

On 4/18/2024 at 1:40 AM, RU SERIOUS said:

When he's gone in the next few weeks, PA will look like a fool giving up 5 good assets for a rental that has done nothing special for us whatsoever.    Very unfortunate.

Cracking Up Lol GIF

9 hours ago, PureQuickness said:

Yes, there's been a lot of misses, but at that stage of the draft, you could get a player LIKE Boeser - or you could consider it to be a high 2nd rounder. Both of which are not nothing. If Lindholm doesn't do anything, we essentially throw that chance away for a not-so-good trade.

I've been critical about Lindholm, but I'm also willing to praise him if I see any improvement. I think he's starting to find his stride. I really REALLY want him to do well here because if he does well here, he can get his money (totally his right) and the Canucks can get a real shot at a cup.

Pettersson seems to be saving his game for the playoffs, at least that's what I hope.

Don't disagree that a late first has value and could turn out to be great.......but Lindholms and dropping Kuzzy's salary do take good assets.  Overall I'm not concerned with this trade and I'm just hoping that Lindholm finds a place on this team socially and professionally that will lead to him being both effective and cost-effective.  Should that happen, it's a huge win trade-wise.

With that said, I'm also being real here.  If management wants to keep Joshua, most of our defence core and possibly DeSmith, I can't see them having cash for Lindholm.....even with Mikeheyev's contract being sold off.  I hope they lock up Zadorov, Hronek and Joshua at reasonable prices.  Lindholm would be great but not at the cost of those guys collectively.

• Cheers 1

On 4/19/2024 at 5:26 PM, NHL97OneTimer said:

Don't disagree that a late first has value and could turn out to be great.......but Lindholms and dropping Kuzzy's salary do take good assets.  Overall I'm not concerned with this trade and I'm just hoping that Lindholm finds a place on this team socially and professionally that will lead to him being both effective and cost-effective.  Should that happen, it's a huge win trade-wise.

With that said, I'm also being real here.  If management wants to keep Joshua, most of our defence core and possibly DeSmith, I can't see them having cash for Lindholm.....even with Mikeheyev's contract being sold off.  I hope they lock up Zadorov, Hronek and Joshua at reasonable prices.  Lindholm would be great but not at the cost of those guys collectively.

I think this team looks quite different next season. 

I'm not convinced that Joshua will take a discount, Zadorov, Hronek, or Lindholm. I think they all want their money (their right to do so). Another poster said that they think that Lindholm at the end of the day, signs here, but I'm not convinced about that. I think Lindholm may know that his offense has gone to the wayside, and his latest remarks about wanting to focus on defense could be a way to mitigate what he might be losing on the market come free agency. I'd love it if he could resign here, but I'm not hopeful. I'm prepared to lose Zadorov, and Joshua. Hronek is an RFA, so I think he does resign here - management and him will figure it out to get a deal done. 

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I'm not convinced that Joshua will take a discount, Zadorov, Hronek, or Lindholm. I think they all want their money (their right to do so). Another poster said that they think that Lindholm at the end of the day, signs here, but I'm not convinced about that. I think Lindholm may know that his offense has gone to the wayside, and his latest remarks about wanting to focus on defense could be a way to mitigate what he might be losing on the market come free agency. I'd love it if he could resign here, but I'm not hopeful. I'm prepared to lose Zadorov, and Joshua. Hronek is an RFA, so I think he does resign here - management and him will figure it out to get a deal done. 

Joshua is the last guy out of all of those that would take a discount.  Not because of who he is, but it's the fact his CAREER earnings is $1.5M.  If anything he would want as much guaranteed money as he can get.  If we offered an 8 year deal, we could probably get his cap hit down a bit.

On a shorter term of 5 or 6 years, he'd probably want $3.5M+ or $17.5 to $19M total.  Brings him to 32 or 33yo.

For 8 years, we could offer $2.5 to $2.75M AAV and he would end up with $20M to $22M.  Brings him to 35yo (end of career).

If I were DJ, I'd take the 8 year deal rather than gambling on myself as a bottom 6 guy that could be out of work at 32yo.

• Cheers 1

On 4/18/2024 at 4:40 PM, RU SERIOUS said:

When he's gone in the next few weeks, PA will look like a fool giving up 5 good assets for a rental that has done nothing special for us whatsoever.    Very unfortunate.

Meh. When you are up in the standings, and you want to take that next step to win the cup, these are the types of move you make. Not many teams get a shot at the cup, hogging a lot of assets means literally nothing. Teams like Buffalo/Ottawa have a lot of young talented players/draft picks etc... And? Remember, the goal is the cup. If you can take the shot at the cup, increase your chances, you go for it. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 4/19/2024 at 5:26 PM, NHL97OneTimer said:

If we assume that none of them will take less than market value or maybe a slight haircut, no we can't keep them all. 

I think you have to target what's hardest to acquire in order: RHD, RHC, skilled d with size, then wingers.

Edited by Bob Long
  • Cheers 1

Lindholm was great tonight.  There really weren't any passengers in this one.  EP wasn't a star on the ice, but he was solid defensively. I'm expecting he'll find his offence in the playoffs, but if he at least plays solid against the other teams' top D, he should create some space for the other lines.  

Early days yet, but tonight was exciting to watch.

• Cheers 1

23 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Joshua is proving himself at all parts of this season.  Hearing coach T telling reporters that he'd be nuts to separate him and Garland tells another story.  I think the Canucks push really hard to sign him and they should.  I love the big Z but if they're out of cash and he's greedy, I think he's the one that we lose....which would be too bad because his toughness and love for hitting certainly gives the other teams reason to be hesitant.  Lindholm will want a big pay day, but if he does stick around for a lower salary, this team has legs for a few years to come.

16 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Joshua is proving himself at all parts of this season.  Hearing coach T telling reporters that he'd be nuts to separate him and Garland tells another story.  I think the Canucks push really hard to sign him and they should.  I love the big Z but if they're out of cash and he's greedy, I think he's the one that we lose....which would be too bad because his toughness and love for hitting certainly gives the other teams reason to be hesitant.  Lindholm will want a big pay day, but if he does stick around for a lower salary, this team has legs for a few years to come.

Joshua and Zadorov are the priority signings.  They will both be re-signed.  They just proved tonight how valuable they both are in the playoffs.  Lindholm is valuable too but he doesn’t provide the muscle and toughness that Joshua and Zadorov provide and that is needed in playoff hockey.

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

A lot of people will be eating crow over the next several weeks…

Especially the idiots in Calgary that thought we got fleeced LOL. They really really think Joni Jurmo is going to be something hahahah. Its basically a 1st and Hunter Breastapuss or whatever is name is, he's 5th in the D-man depth chart, who really cares? No matter how far we go, it was worth the gamble. At the time of the trade, we were vying for best in the league, why wouldn't you try to land one of the best hired guns for your playoff runs. Makes absolutely no sense to just wait it out and "keep building for the future" like some goofs in the site have suggested. The goal is to win the cup, who gives a shit about prospects and draft picks

• Cheers 1

20 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Meh. When you are up in the standings, and you want to take that next step to win the cup, these are the types of move you make. Not many teams get a shot at the cup, hogging a lot of assets means literally nothing. Teams like Buffalo/Ottawa have a lot of young talented players/draft picks etc... And? Remember, the goal is the cup. If you can take the shot at the cup, increase your chances, you go for it. 

Exactly, thats why if its your window, you go for it. If the team was just a bubble playoff team when they made the Lindholm trade, ok, I would have some skeptism on that one. But if you're vying for a presidents trophy, clearly you're a contender. People think that its just having a good team makes you a contender which implies Alvin/Rutherford should put a pile of chips in but its not just that. Its the competition that determines if you're a contender. The Canucks have beaten a fair bit of good teams and have been pretty solid on top of the standings since October, so clearly the competition THIS YEAR isn't as strong as we thought. Every season is different, and for this particular season, we've been one of the strongest teams. Why wouldn't you try to go for it?

A few segments of this forum seem to be obsessed with building for the future, thinking we are gonna have a team of 1st 2nd round picks thats going to win 10 cups in a row, that its just inevitable, but like you mentioned, Phoenix, Ottawa, Buffalo, etc, they've been in just in a forever rebuild. No one can predict a stanley cup window, but when you're in it, you gotta press it

6 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Lindholm looked much better last night and I don't mean just because he scored a goal. He was effective in both ends of the ice.

If we can get Pettersson rolling, this team really might accomplish something.

....and Boeser to be honest.

On 4/21/2024 at 7:24 AM, HKSR said:

Joshua is the last guy out of all of those that would take a discount.  Not because of who he is, but it's the fact his CAREER earnings is $1.5M.  If anything he would want as much guaranteed money as he can get.  If we offered an 8 year deal, we could probably get his cap hit down a bit.

On a shorter term of 5 or 6 years, he'd probably want $3.5M+ or $17.5 to $19M total.  Brings him to 32 or 33yo.

For 8 years, we could offer $2.5 to $2.75M AAV and he would end up with $20M to $22M.  Brings him to 35yo (end of career).

If I were DJ, I'd take the 8 year deal rather than gambling on myself as a bottom 6 guy that could be out of work at 32yo.

This is absolutely the case.  It is one thing asking a guy like Petterson to take a little discount which maybe ends up with his career earnings still being well over $100 million… and expecting a fringe guy not to chase the best dollars possible on what is almost certainly his only big payday.

Joshua turns 28 in a couple weeks.  He has earned himself a 3-5 year contract well north of $3 million per year.  It may not be us who can make the best offer.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

....and Boeser to be honest.

To be honest...Boeser led all forwards with 20:01 time on ice, he had a point, was a +1 and finished with a team high corsi for at 72.7%. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Provost said:

This is absolutely the case.  It is one thing asking a guy like Petterson to take a little discount which maybe ends up with his career earnings still being well over $100 million… and expecting a fringe guy not to chase the best dollars possible on what is almost certainly his only big payday.

Joshua turns 28 in a couple weeks.  He has earned himself a 3-5 year contract well north of $3 million per year.  It may not be us who can make the best offer.

He has earned every dime, he can get... he has been unreal together with Garland. Unreal....

• Cheers 1

On 4/22/2024 at 12:07 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

Joshua and Zadorov are the priority signings.  They will both be re-signed.  They just proved tonight how valuable they both are in the playoffs.  Lindholm is valuable too but he doesn’t provide the muscle and toughness that Joshua and Zadorov provide and that is needed in playoff hockey.

Lindholm will be too expensive to sign long term... he is a rental, and a good one at that. The year after next, we need to find $5M of savings + pay rises. It is, what it is...

1st world problems though, as the only reason we have these problems, is the great play by the team. 

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, D-Money said:

Here’s a question that would have been ridiculous 3 months ago, but seems completely legitimate now:

Who is more integral to the success of this team? Hronek or Joshua?

It’s close. Real close. If I was Allvin, I’d have Hronek slightly ahead of Joshua. But it wouldn’t shock me if Allvin had Joshua ahead of Hronek either. 

Joshua is looking at a 5 year contract between $3.5-4 million. I could see him playing with Miller/Boeser next season. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, D-Money said:

Here’s a question that would have been ridiculous 3 months ago, but seems completely legitimate now:

Who is more integral to the success of this team? Hronek or Joshua?

....or alternatively, Zadorov + Joshua vs Hronek.

• Vintage 1