[Rumour] Ottawa Shopping captain Brady Tkachuk

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

The big thing OTT is missing badly is elite goaltending.    They've basically got their entire core, all locked in at reasonable long term deals,   if they had a star goalie to go with it, then they'd be a playoff team.   Their window is enviable,  we're excepted to do a lot better this year, didn't work out that way, and their TO brethren, started this year jealous after the series of 8 x 8 deals.    

Another young player in the pipe for them this year, and they've still got quite a bit coming as is. On that, their drafting is nothing short of superb and has been going back to when they drafted EK, Stone, Zinbanejad, Pageau, Hoffman etc etc.   Given where they were finishing, few flubs and a hits in the later rounds. 

Hellebuyck in OTT instead, they'd be in the show.   Even with Norris and Pinto missing significant time.  

As for Brady, no way are they trading him.   Not unless they feel they'd get something better back.     They need goaltending.   Another year of sub .900 save percentages.    And a healthy lineup.   

they really should consider buying out korpisalo this summer. yes it'll be 8 years on the cap.. but the cap penalty is very minimal it have 1 year at 1.8 and 1 year at 2.3? other than that it's like 1.33 and below for the other 6.. well worth it.. and take a run at someone like markstrom or something.. although they'll likely have competition.. ottawa for whatever it's worth is really not that bad but with very poor goaltending.. their xga 5v5 is middle of the pack in the league.. but their goals against is one of the worse and their team sv% is 2nd worse in the league.. and they are like 10th best in xga in all situation.. but somehow their goals against is 6th worse.. if they just have average goaltending they'd be a fighting for a playoff spot.. they are even better than vancouver in limiting high danger chances

What Brady T is offered could easily be determined by Cup play. I highly doubt EP40 is in any mix. Ottawa's d-core is set so their want is a goalie and forwards. 

Canucks aren't moving Demko. I can see Boeser ( 40 goal man ), Garland ( +20 goal and play driver ) and Mik being available. Can't you just see Brady T on the wing with EP40. I doubt the Canucks can match what others offer but I also suspect BT has movement restrictions. 

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

What Brady T is offered could easily be determined by Cup play. I highly doubt EP40 is in any mix. Ottawa's d-core is set so their want is a goalie and forwards. 

Canucks aren't moving Demko. I can see Boeser ( 40 goal man ), Garland ( +20 goal and play driver ) and Mik being available. Can't you just see Brady T on the wing with EP40. I doubt the Canucks can match what others offer but I also suspect BT has movement restrictions. 

maybe we could entice them with DeSmith for a 2nd rounder. I know he's a ufa next year, but that avoids a bidding war. We then use an Abby goalie as our backup. 

or mayyyyyyyyybeeeee, they'd be interested in Silovs instead...jus' sayin'

12 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

His NMC doesn't kick in untill after next season 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, canucks curse said:

Boeser + Hoglander + Silovs

Tkachuk Petey Letteremaki

Joshua Miller Garland

Top 6

= insanely hard to play against 

I wouldn't give up that much for Tkachuk. Yes, he's a good player, but that's too much for him.

Boeser, Mikheyev, Linus Karlsson 2025 2nd round pick

For

Tkachuk and a cap dump

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

I wouldn't give up that much for Tkachuk. Yes, he's a good player, but that's too much for him.

Boeser, Mikheyev, Linus Karlsson 2025 2nd round pick

For

Tkachuk and a cap dump

No way you acquire arguably the league's best power forward for a 40 goal guy, a cap dump, a middling prospect, and a 2nd round pick...

Tkachuk and Petey's values are similar. 

Would you trade Petey and Mikheyev for:

Sharangovich (31 goals but 2 years younger than Brock and 1/2 the cap hit), Coleman (cap dump), Pelletier, 2nd round pick

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I don't think their D core is set. They have 3 really good lefties, 1 who's been rumored to not be long in the capital. Zub is their stop righty, Hronek could look deadly beside Sanderson or Chabot.

2 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

I don't think their D core is set. They have 3 really good lefties, 1 who's been rumored to not be long in the capital. Zub is their stop righty, Hronek could look deadly beside Sanderson or Chabot.

or they coud just go for a better option in pesces or roy.. there's literally 0 chance ottawa is interested in hronek and paying 3 defenceman 8mil each when really they need to invest in a goalie.. they have one of the best xga 5v5 and one of the lowest hdga in all situation in the league.. their goalie can't stop a beach ball

as much as I'd love to see him here, can't help but think the ask for him would require both Lekkerimaki and Willander. Other teams have better roster players to offer too, and if not equivalent, close enough prospects. 

Edited by Bob Long

2 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

or they coud just go for a better option in pesces or roy.. there's literally 0 chance ottawa is interested in hronek and paying 3 defenceman 8mil each when really they need to invest in a goalie.. they have one of the best xga 5v5 and one of the lowest hdga in all situation in the league.. their goalie can't stop a beach ball

Literally 0 chance eh? You seem pretty sure of yourself for some random behind a keyboard. So glad we have such a well informed insider on our humble fan forum...

21 minutes ago, HKSR said:

No way you acquire arguably the league's best power forward for a 40 goal guy, a cap dump, a middling prospect, and a 2nd round pick...

Tkachuk and Petey's values are similar. 

Would you trade Petey and Mikheyev for:

Sharangovich (31 goals but 2 years younger than Brock and 1/2 the cap hit), Coleman (cap dump), Pelletier, 2nd round pick

Maybe, but still wouldn't give up that much for him. Yes, would love the grit that he would bring, but Hoglander is a really good asset who is going to keep improving for us. Silovs has #1 potential. 

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

They'd be better off chasing Tanev, Hronek adds a skill set similar to what they already have on the back end

If they're to stop bleeding goals they'd be better off looking for D whose bread and butter is stifling offense 

Just now, Coconuts said:

They'd be better off chasing Tanev, Hronek adds a skill set similar to what they already have on the back end

If they're to stop bleeding goals they'd be better off looking for D whose bread and butter is stifling offense 

Sure, Tanev is an option, if he agrees to go there. I don't see Tanev signing a retirement contract with a team unlikely to challenge for a cup while he's still mucking around.

Hronek has already proven he could fit seemlessly with an offensive minded lefty defensemen. It seems completely reasonable that they would look at him and think he can thrive with one of their big 2. Hell, that's exactly what PA thought, and it worked like a charm.

19 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Literally 0 chance eh? You seem pretty sure of yourself for some random behind a keyboard. So glad we have such a well informed insider on our humble fan forum...

oh didnt know i need to be an insider to have common sense. if you watch ottawa's game which i'm sure you don't you'l know their issue isn't defence. Nor is there a team in the league that's remotely close to  paying 3 defenceman 8mil

Just now, wai_lai416 said:

oh didnt know i need to be an insider to have common sense. if you watch ottawa's game which i'm sure you don't you'l know their issue isn't defence. Nor is there a team in the league that's remotely close to  paying 3 defenceman 8mil

What a stupid assumption. I never get used to how people on the internet can say such ridiculous things in full confidence without any prior knowledge whatsoever.

For example, in this case, you have no prior knowledge  to where my wife grew up, and whos jerseys are on her side of the walk in closet. It's so funny how someone can speak like such a confident asshole for no reason lol

I watch the Ottawa vs New Jersey game a few weeks

Tkachuk was a menace. He hit everything that moved, I think a league record of 16 hits I think? he also had two goals, and was willing Ottawa in all three zones into the battle. 

I would be willing ot risk our top pieces like Lekkerimaki and Willander to get Tkachuk. His breed is so rare, if there is a remote chance he is available you go after it. 

23 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Sure, Tanev is an option, if he agrees to go there. I don't see Tanev signing a retirement contract with a team unlikely to challenge for a cup while he's still mucking around.

Hronek has already proven he could fit seemlessly with an offensive minded lefty defensemen. It seems completely reasonable that they would look at him and think he can thrive with one of their big 2. Hell, that's exactly what PA thought, and it worked like a charm.

I don't think it's outlandish. Ottawa was supposedly very much interested in Tanev leading up to the deadline, they're a team I could very easily see being willing to outbid other teams if Tanev makes it to UFA. He fits the mold of what they need on their back end. He's also from Toronto, so Ottawa really ain't all that far from home. It depends on what Tanev wants, but he could likely get 5M+ and 2-3 years from Ottawa imo. 

There's a chance he re-signs in Dallas of course, and Toronto themselves would likely very much be in the mix.

And sure, but I'm not exactly sold on Hronek addressing Ottawa's needs. They're 28th in goals allowed, averaging 3.45 goals against per game and their PK is 29th. For additional context, they're only 12th in shots on goal against which speaks to inept goaltending and giving up high danger chances. Given his deal they'll likely be hard pressed to move out Korpisalo, so the best next thing is integrating guys who can help stifle offense. 

Having Chabot healthy for most of the season would help, but they do need more. Could easily see them poking at Pesce if he makes it to UFA too. 

Edited by Coconuts

I am really mixed on this............

On paper, I would take Tkachuk over Petie straight up....in a heart beat!

But long term, we have no center that can replace what Pettersson brings after Miller regresses/retires

That is a concern for me..........

But IMO, Tkachuk for Pettersson makes us better, and lowers our Cap, so there is that!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I watch the Ottawa vs New Jersey game a few weeks

Tkachuk was a menace. He hit everything that moved, I think a league record of 16 hits I think? he also had two goals, and was willing Ottawa in all three zones into the battle. 

I would be willing ot risk our top pieces like Lekkerimaki and Willander to get Tkachuk. His breed is so rare, if there is a remote chance he is available you go after it. 

Lekkerimaki yes.  Willander is untouchable.  RHD are a rare breed as well, especially one as good as Willander is becoming. 

7 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I don't think it's outlandish. Ottawa was supposedly very much interested in Tanev leading up to the deadline, they're a team I could very easily see being willing to outbid other teams if Tanev makes it to UFA. He fits the mold of what they need on their back end. He's also from Toronto, so Ottawa really ain't all that far from home. It depends on what Tanev wants, but he could likely get 5M+ and 2-3 years from Ottawa imo. 

There's a chance he re-signs in Dallas of course, and Toronto themselves would likely very much be in the mix.

And sure, but I'm not exactly sold on Hronek addressing Ottawa's needs. They're 28th in goals allowed, averaging 3.45 goals against per game and their PK is 29th. For additional context, they're only 12th in shots on goal against which speaks to inept goaltending and giving up high danger chances. Given his deal they'll likely be hard pressed to move out Korpisalo, so the best next thing is integrating guys who can help stifle offense. 

Having Chabot healthy for most of the season would help, but they do need more. Could easily see them poking at Pesce if he makes it to UFA too. 

Dallas can afford Tanev.  If I were Tanev, I'd re-sign in Dallas without a doubt.  He has fit in really well there, and Dallas is clearly a cup contender.  Why go from there to Ottawa of all places?  Even if it's an extra $500k or $750k per year for what?  2 or 3 years?  With career earnings over $40M, I doubt he cares that much about money at this stage in his career.

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

It's not outlandish at all. Sens have already shown their cards when it comes to chancing veteran presence in their locker room. I would just speculate that Ottawa wouldn't be high on Tanevs list on what could be his final contract. 

Peace makes a ton of sense for them, but again, if he's willing to go there. Sens could use some bite and competitiveness in their lineup. There is far too many nights they look like they have no will to win in the game, much like the Canucks a couple years ago. I'm not the biggest Hronek fan, but he always brings it.

They also have a huge problem moving the puck out of the zone from what I've seen. They get hemmed in constantly. Another thing Hronek is pretty good at is moving the puck quickly, even if he can get jammed up by for checkers at times.

Sens need a top pairing righty in their top 4. That's a huge need. Obviously they need some help goaltending, but they have already hitched their horse. Martin is a coach that is quite similar to Toc. Focusses on structure and defense. I could see a world where Hronek being part of a trade makes sense. Their would be a significant add or course.

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Dallas can afford Tanev.  If I were Tanev, I'd re-sign in Dallas without a doubt.  He has fit in really well there, and Dallas is clearly a cup contender.  Why go from there to Ottawa of all places?  Even if it's an extra $500k or $750k per year for what?  2 or 3 years?  With career earnings over $40M, I doubt he cares that much about money at this stage in his career.

I don't disagree, but I do think Ottawa will be in the mix. 

It really depends on what Tanev wants, if he wants to finish his career closer to home he'll go East. It also depends on how long he wants to keep playing and who is offering what. 

But again, Ottawa would be better off looking for a different sort of D than Hronek imo. It doesn't have to be Tanev, it's just that they've already shown interest in Tanev. 

Pesce could be a fit, maybe DeMelo if he makes it to UFA, maybe Walker, maybe Skjei if he makes it to UFA(more unlikely), Lyubushkin, maybe Zadorov if he walks, there are others via UFA or trade I'm sure depending on what they're willing to move 

4 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

It's not outlandish at all. Sens have already shown their cards when it comes to chancing veteran presence in their locker room. I would just speculate that Ottawa wouldn't be high on Tanevs list on what could be his final contract. 

Peace makes a ton of sense for them, but again, if he's willing to go there. Sens could use some bite and competitiveness in their lineup. There is far too many nights they look like they have no will to win in the game, much like the Canucks a couple years ago. I'm not the biggest Hronek fan, but he always brings it.

They also have a huge problem moving the puck out of the zone from what I've seen. They get hemmed in constantly. Another thing Hronek is pretty good at is moving the puck quickly, even if he can get jammed up by for checkers at times.

Sens need a top pairing righty in their top 4. That's a huge need. Obviously they need some help goaltending, but they have already hitched their horse. Martin is a coach that is quite similar to Toc. Focusses on structure and defense. I could see a world where Hronek being part of a trade makes sense. Their would be a significant add or course.

He may not want to go to Ottawa, certainly. 

Pesce would, as would others I just mentioned above. 

I'd attribute some of that to having missed Chabot for a good chunk of the season, but maybe Hronek could help there. 

I think coaching is a wildcard, Martin will be 72 in October so I don't see him being the guy for much longer. More than likely he's replaced imo, so that could alter how player acquisition is considered. 

The other caveat is that if the Canucks trade Hronek they'll need to replace him. 

7 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

He may not want to go to Ottawa, certainly. 

Pesce would, as would others I just mentioned above. 

I'd attribute some of that to having missed Chabot for a good chunk of the season, but maybe Hronek could help there. 

I think coaching is a wildcard, Martin will be 72 in October so I don't see him being the guy for much longer. More than likely he's replaced imo, so that could alter how player acquisition is considered. 

The other caveat is that if the Canucks trade Hronek they'll need to replace him. 

It's Martin's time to get some rest, but it's the structure that they have started trying to establish. I think their next coach builds on a structure system. Someone like Berube makes a ton of sense.

Trading Tkachuk would be insane to me. I don't think they will in the end, unless if officially asks out. But if we're talking hypotheticals, I think their are plenty of reasons the Canucks and Sens could come together on something.