[PGT] Vancouver at Nashville - Round 1 - Game 3

4 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

This is next level for me.

"I was a lot like Miller"

Not even close....this is not even worth pursuing any longer if this is the mindset. 

I've called him out for being arrogant many times.  This just reaffirms it haha

• Haha 1

Just now, OldFaithfulcap said:

There was luck, almost the reverse of game 2 luck. There always is. It's not as lucky though when we spent most of the season doing it right? I screamed at the canucks early this season for doing it but they are really good at shutting it down this year.

Again, I had zero issue with their defensive game plan, it's what got them here.  My concern is how much if wore them down at the end.

I think Canucks strategy to sit back against a team like Preds work because they only have one line in Forsberg OReilly and Nyquist that can score. You shut that down and preds offense goes dry. We'll probably be trading games like this the whole series, but I am hoping the next time preds sit back we'll break through because we're the better team in depth. 

Joshua a factor in game 1 and then our pp came alive in game 3. So hard to predict who will step up next game. Hopefully all of the above plus Petey getting a goal. 

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

You need a mixture of both types on a team (imho).  "Rah rah" players & "even keel" players.  Depending on the situation, one is required over the other.  Again, imho.

I agree, but the rah rah player has to be able to control their emotions and still be pretty even keeled while being able to use those emotions.

Guys who take the team on an emotional roller coaster are not a positive force, imo.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

When I was in my later teens and playing high level hockey and baseball, I was a lot like Miller and my will to win just made my teammates miserable and play worse.  The true road to success in a team sport is chemistry and cohesion.  One player can't carry a team

at a professional level, there's no room for passengers. there's plenty of room for guys who don't have patience for passengers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Silent Man said:

Josi played  over 30 min last game .

Forsberg, O'Reilly - over 25 min, McDonagh 25 min less 1 sec.

Is this sustainable?

Also when they blocked 32 shots? Some limping away afterward?

39 minutes ago, stawns said:

That will to win can be constructive, absolutely, if that person is in control of their emotions.  I don't see that from JT, he is ruled by his emotions for better and for worse, imo

it's hockey not badmiten. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

Again, I had zero issue with their defensive game plan, it's what got them here.  My concern is how much if wore them down at the end.

Thing is, teams SHOULD feel worn down after playoff games.

"Leave it all out there on the ice" is a thing.

Don't kid yourself...I'm sure the Preds are feeling a little worn down too.

Controlling emotions and not getting worn down just aren't always part of playoff hockey. It's do or die stuff.

Just now, tas said:

at a professional level, there's no room for passengers. there's plenty of room for guys who don't have patience for passengers. 

To some degree, I agree, but how you manifest that is the issue.  

13 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Wait...so aren't you participating with this comment? You've added nothing about the players/team/game.

We're going after the content and that's quite acceptable. No one's said "true fans". And if some cite their experience as qualifying their comments then it's ok to respond to that. Using the "true fans" is a deflection and just a really poor excuse to ignore what's being said.

So what is your opinion on JT Miler and how he contributes to the success of the team? Or not.

Irony.

doubled down.

34 minutes ago, Jigsaw said:

A lot of people are going on about only 12 shots, we were lucky to win….. The thing is, the shoe was on the other foot in game 2. We dominated and lost. So I figure it’s only right we return the favour. 

Except I wouldn't say we were dominated yesterday. But yes, puck luck was returned in game 3. Canucks have a huge opportunity ahead of them tomorrow.

26 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

You don't see it. Thank God everyone who matters (his teammates, coaches) do.

If he is ruled by his emotions and is this successful in the NHL, maybe he has more figured out than you do?

Don't be so stuck on being right....it's actually really quite credible to be able to admit that maybe you had it wrong. With JT, you certainly do have it wrong. He's proven that. And it's just silly to consider him a liability of any sort....he's better much more than "he's worse". And ANY team would love to have him. Speaks volumes.

^^^^^^^^ This

I agreed earlier whole-heartedly with Deb's comment but the italicized comment should get a special mention. JT plays with fire and emotion which is exactly what every coach in the league would want from every player on their respective team. I would take JT playing hard with fire every game even if "once in a while" he goes over the line and takes a penalty. 85% on fire the right way with 15% "just a bit too much" resulting in a penalty that the PK will kill off 85% of the time, I would take 10 times out of 10.

There isn't a GM in the league that would not make a solid offer perhaps close to a godfather offer if it was known JT was on the market - which he isn't as JR / PA would be shot for even thinking such a thought. 

PS: watched the game on PVR even though I knew the Canucks won. Some THUNDERING hits by the D-corp. More of that please.

PPS: know who else played with fire and emotion - Tocchet - managed to pot a few goals along the way did Tic Toc, he the holder of the Gordie Howe hat trick record over a career with 18

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Thing is (and I will give up the JT Miller is good for our team...never) - JT will have his moments. No player is perfect and he's included in that.

Yet some will WAIT for a moment to pounce where he blind passes and misses. It's glaring to them, even if it overlooks all the good things he's done. They zero in on that one moment with an "AHA". Gotcha stuff.

It's a matter of being stuck on being right. Even when you're wrong;

I  was wrong about Myers and admit it. It feels good to be able to do so because I pull for our players to be good. I don't wait for them to be bad to prove a point.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, stawns said:

To some degree, I agree, but how you manifest that is the issue.  

jt's coaches and teammates seem just fine with the way he handles it. he and petey have obviously had their differences, but I'm far more in miller's camp in that regard. 

Just now, -dlc- said:

Thing is (and I will give up the JT Miller is good for our team...never) - JT will have his moments. No player is perfect and he's included in that.

Yet some will WAIT for a moment where he blind passes and misses to point out something and connect it to why he's "a cancer". (insert other ridiculous descriptions here). It's glaring to them, even if it overlooks all the good things he's done. They zero in on that with an "AHA" moment.

It's a matter of being stuck on being right. Even when you're wrong;

I  was wrong about Myers and admit it. It feels good to be able to do so because I pull for our players to be good. I don't wait for them to be bad.

"Know-it-alls" never admit they're wrong.  There will always be caveats.

• Cheers 1

On another note... The Canucks goal differential while I am holding crying baby in my Canucks shirt is now 5:0 this round (3 goals including the empty netter, 2 goals yesterday). I have commitments tomorrow afternoon so I hope the boys can hold off the preds until I get home. The shirt will not see the laundry until the next round.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, tas said:

jt's coaches and teammates seem just fine with the way he handles it. he and petey have obviously had their differences, but I'm far more in miller's camp in that regard. 

Are you saying all the things that Miller did when he and the team was down didn't happen?  Those were all things we saw and things we all agreed we saw at the time.  Let's at least admit we all saw the same thing from Miller at that time.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

^^^^^^^^ This

I agreed earlier whole-heartedly with Deb's comment but the italicized comment should get a special mention. JT plays with fire and emotion which is exactly what every coach in the league would want from every player on their respective team. I would take JT playing hard with fire every game even if "once in a while" he goes over the line and takes a penalty. 85% on fire the right way with 15% "just a bit too much" resulting in a penalty that the PK will kill off 85% of the time, I would take 10 times out of 10.

There isn't a GM in the league that would not make a solid offer perhaps close to a godfather offer if it was known JT was on the market - which he isn't as JR / PA would be shot for even thinking such a thought. 

PS: watched the game on PVR even though I knew the Canucks won. Some THUNDERING hits by the D-corp. More of that please.

I don't get why anyone is hating on the guy who scored which was 100% him and who gave a perfect pass to set up the only other goal...

Sedins never did that. I'll take the beast.

• Like 1

Just now, I.Am.Ironman said:

On another note... The Canucks goal differential while I am holding crying baby in my Canucks shirt is now 5:0 this round (3 goals including the empty netter, 2 goals yesterday). I have commitments tomorrow afternoon so I hope the boys can hold off the preds until I get home. The shirt will not see the laundry until the next round.

Again, until the last 8 mins, I never once thought the Canucks were not in control of that game.