[PGT] Vancouver at Nashville - Round 1 - Game 3

1 hour ago, -dlc- said:

This is bang on.

Except the last line because....can't we keep them? We must. Bye bye Hronek (even though I hate that too, just a little less).

There's absolutely an ability to keep all of them.  It'll cost us guys like Blueger, Lafferty, and Mikheyev... so it's absolutely worth it too.

• Cheers 2

my take away from DeSmiths game.... he got stronger as the game went on. In the last game he never got a chance to 'feel' the puck early, that major deflection early.

Getting through the first 10 minutes without letting something in was huge for him. Then we scored and the rest was history. They fought a good fight, but this time it was OUR players loading up the crease and blocking shots galore. 

On Sunday, they are going to come out flying again... hodor....and we have a good chance again. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Desmenko 1

11 hours ago, OldFaithfulcap said:

Ha desmith said he should have sold the contact more

I think he SHOULD have stayed face down on the ice...let the trainer come out etc but stayed in the game. UNLESS the 'league concussion spotters' would probably have forced him to go to the quiet room for 10 minutes.  then THAT would've sucked. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, spook007 said:

Duncan Keith disagrees...

Wow that was one hit how long ago? Lol I'm talking about the playoffs here,

Now... he's playing positionally awesome this year but he's still shy to hit. If he could learn to do what Z does we'd have the scariest D in history. I'm not trashing him either. It's just one part of his game he could step up. Where's the Myers from the Minni series (also years ago) 

2 hours ago, Ilunga said:

I have watched lots of Hockey over the years.

Before my relationship break up, I had the NHL package.

Like any sport this ain't rocket science. 

After many years on this and the old board I can tell who knows what they are talking about in regards to game, and who doesn't.

Who is biased, who is not.

While I am a Canucks fan, I am a fan of the game first and foremost.

I have a few friends here in Aus who are from BC, that married Aussie girls.

They still play.

I talk with them a lot about the game. 

Hockey, AFL, NRL are systems based sports that rely on the athletes " buying "into their coaches systems, playing their roles.

Of course you have players who have different strengths in different areas of the game.

Those that read the game well, " hockey IQ, those who rely on pure skill, those whose physical game is their strength, etc.

The basis of the sport of icehockey is a sport itself, ice skating. 

That's another topic I could wax lyrical on but I won't. 

Anyway people on this board have earned my trust and respect.

I don't give that lightly.

I appreciate your take but there's one thing to consider.

Many who "know" the x's and o's aren't particularly good at identifying the human element in it all. After all, the sytems are implemented by humans which very much affects things.

Some of the self-professed experts who have played the game will present some of the technical aspects of the game and that's impressive. But, equally so, is the ability for some who go to games and never miss a game to identify strengths and weaknesses in the players themselves. 

For instance, JT Miller. Many of the experienced hockey guys screamed that he had to go...was a cancer. 

Some of us saw beyond his emotional outbursts and knew there was an all in heart and soul player. One of size and skill who was worth exercising patience in. A guy who was directing play behind the scenes and had enough gumption to say "we don't know what we're doing here". And stand up for the team when needed. One who didn't care how he "looked" because it was all about how they fared.

And not just him...has happened before. I've been told for years by the hockey guys that, as a woman who's never played, I know nothing. Yet some of those same people screamed early on the get rid of...Bieksa, Burrows. Some of my favourites. Maybe there's something more than just knowing the systems...you have to see what happens away from the play (that streaming and TV miss). 

I wonder how much "the system" is creating a bit of Petey's struggle. I mean, he's a guy with pure and natural talent who was really good at playing on instincts and creating his own "system". Like how he used to use subtle moves to create space for himself. Systems only tell half the story...then you have to work with the human element and create a balance. Yes, everyone has to buy in but you also have to have some creativity and chemistry...things that aren't always "on paper".

Anyhow, cheers...a good discussion. I'm just not as easily convinced because someone knows 1-3-1 (which I also happen to understand).

Truth be told, it would be nice if we'd just all be on the same page and cheer for the boys as this is a pretty outstanding season. No matter how you analyze it. Seems we are being pulled together and this city is alive with hockey vibrancy right now. It's very refreshing. We are all Canucks.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • MillerTime 1

10 hours ago, Ilunga said:

I know it's cliche however Defense wins championships.

This is true in all three of the team sports I follow.

Yep. Plus I don't know what happens to Myers but his play just goes up a notch. Guys been great.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

I appreciate your take but there's one thing to consider.

Many who "know" the x's and o's aren't particularly good at identifying the human element in it all. After all, the sytems are implemented by humans which very much affects things.

Some of the self-professed experts who have played the game will present some of the technical aspects of the game and that's impressive. But, equally so, is the ability for some who go to games and never miss a game to identify strengths and weaknesses in the players themselves. 

For instance, JT Miller. Many of the experienced hockey guys screamed that he had to go...was a cancer. 

Some of us saw beyond his emotional outbursts and knew there was an all in heart and soul player. One of size and skill who was worth exercising patience in.

And not just him...has happened before. I've been told for years by the hockey guys that, as a woman who's never played, I know nothing. Yet some of those same people screamed early on the get rid of...Bieksa, Burrows. Some of my favourites. Maybe there's something more than just knowing the systems...you have to see what happens away from the play (that streaming and TV miss). 

I wonder how much "the system" is creating a bit of Petey's struggle. I mean, he's a guy with pure and natural talent who was really good at playing on instincts and creating his own "system". Like how he used to use subtle moves to create space for himself. Systems only tell half the story...then you have to work with the human element and create a balance. Yes, everyone has to buy in but you also have to have some creativity.

Anyhow, cheers...a good discussion. I'm just not as easily convinced because someone knows 1-3-1 (which I also happen to understand).

I will say one thing… I was one of those guys who wanted JT gone last year. I played with enough cancers in my career to see similarities that caused trauma 😂
  However Tocchet seems to be the right coach to have reined that in and hopefully JT keeps playing the way he is. He’s now one of my favourites with the attitude adjustment he seems to have under Tocchet.

Edited by Northern_Nuck

6 minutes ago, Northern_Nuck said:

I will say one thing… I was one of those guys who wanted JT gone last year. I played with enough cancers in my career to see similarities that caused trauma 😂
  However Tocchet seems to be the right coach to have reined that in and hopefully JT keeps playing the way he is. He’s now one of my favourites with the attitude adjustment he seems to have under Tocchet.

But you can't really give all the credit to Tocchet because if he was really "a cancer"...those guys don't usually adjust. They don't listen.

JT is also responsible for how he reacted to Tocc and even BEFORE Tocchet....there was one guy sitting on the bench with Boudreau who was being quietly ousted. JT was that guy. 

Again the "I played with" is relevant, but only to some degree. You never "played with JT" and that's important and part of the "human element" that gets overlooked when people are too quick to judge. Seeing some cancers doesn't mean you can just slot people in with them. Based on a few stick and gate slams. That's stereotyping.

Some saw "cancer". Some others saw passion and wears his heart on his sleeve emotion that he, himself, knew needed some channeling.

His words about playing on the edge being a fine line ring true. What drives him to succeed can also push him the other way. He knew that and adjusted. With a coach that helped remind him.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Northern_Nuck said:

I still stand by my opinion on Miller.........which was that he is great when things are good and when things are bad that's when you'll see the dark side

With the Canucks playoff window only just beginning to open, I'd honestly be ok if we ran out of cap room to re-sign Hronek if it meant re-signing Zadorov and Joshua. These guys are crucial for the playoff season. 

Watching Zadorov take runs at Josi makes watching Hughes getting constantly hit a lot easier. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Northern_Nuck said:

However Tocchet seems to be the right coach to have reined that in and hopefully JT keeps playing the way he is. He’s now one of my favourites with the attitude adjustment he seems to have under Hughes. 

There's also a difference between a cancer, and a passionate and vocal player. It is very, very clear JT does not like to lose. He also probably wasn't very happy with Green not bothering to address any of the team's deficiencies. I'd say players like Kesler are far more likely to be a cancer, because it's all about themselves and winning.

Does JT let his emotions get the better of himself? Yes. But that's where Tocc has gotten JT on the same page. I just wish Tocc could get through with Petey.

My concern is there is either a playable injury, or possible minor concussion that Petey is playing through. And it's effecting him mentally and physically. And the team knows about it. But they can't afford to sit him out.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Yep. Plus I don't know what happens to Myers but his play just goes up a notch. Guys been great.

It's really great. I love how he up's the intensity in his game....we need THAT Myers.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

I still stand by my opinion on Miller.........which was that he is great when things are good and when things are bad that's when you'll see the dark side

Thing is though......you don't apply the same standards to someone like, say, Myers.

You ONLY see the good and ignore when he's really a detriment. His "dark side"...and there's been one.

Same with the refs. So it becomes tunnel vision and total bias.

Dark side's a bit extreme anyhow in applying something rather sinister. I wish more players had a dark side that meant they really wanted to win and weren't afraid to let it be known. Image isn't everything. Like the "meh" we gave it our best players.

Miller, Tocchet and Hughes have changed the culture. Miller's been a HUGE part in that...his dark side has seeped in a bit in a good way. The guys expect more and aren't satisfied. They're a little less lamb and a bit more owly. Miller's dark side was one of sheer frustration because he knew they were capable of more. Which is why he bought in here....despite some stating he was absolutely for sure gone. 

Seems they didn't know him as well as they thought....

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Yes, some need shots to score and to see success. But that's only part of the story.

Pathetic? OK, what about only scoring ONE goal and losing despite a kazillion shots? Is that better?

We did that last game... two games in a row that have been pathetic. 

• Wiener 1

22 minutes ago, nhlplayoffs2024 said:

We were VERY lucky to win that game. 12 shots on net.... pathetic. 

If I remember correctly, you were sure about 5-2 Nash victory?

What I saw yesterday was an extremely hard working Canucks team, and, I’m my opinion, they totally deserved that win.

8 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Kelly Sutherland would merely give you a one finger salute.😉

then he'd call your team for unsportsmanlike conduct for just .....nothing. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

There's also a difference between a cancer, and a passionate and vocal player. It is very, very clear JT does not like to lose. He also probably wasn't very happy with Green not bothering to address any of the team's deficiencies. I'd say players like Kesler are far more likely to be a cancer, because it's all about themselves and winning.

Does JT let his emotions get the better of himself? Yes. But that's where Tocc has gotten JT on the same page. I just wish Tocc could get through with Petey.

My concern is there is either a playable injury, or possible minor concussion that Petey is playing through. And it's effecting him mentally and physically. And the team knows about it. But they can't afford to sit him out.

He did get crosschecked in the ribs late in the season. I forget who it was against, I want to say it was during the knights or oilers game. My interpretation was it was a calculated crosscheck knowing we may play that team in the post season. They took an opportunity with Petey's ribs exposed. He was also playing poorly before that though so who knows. What has be skeptical about the injury side of things is that he played game 82.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nhlplayoffs2024 said:

We did that last game... two games in a row that have been pathetic. 

A win in playoffs (on the road to boot) is NEVER pathetic. So you lost me there.

• Haha 1