[PGT] Vancouver at Nashville - Round 1 - Game 3

13 minutes ago, Pears said:

This reminds me of one of the Chicago games this year when they were doing the same, then Tocchet put Zadorov with Hughes for a few shifts and they didn't even come within two feet of him for the rest of the game. He should look to do that on Sunday if it gets out of hand again. 

Im hesitant to adjust our lineup to play into their hands though. 

I think maybe the next best thing is we start running Josi. 

DJ put stasney out of the line up today. Maybe we warn them Josi is next. 

• ThereItIs 1

Also one final comment on guys like Z and DJ. 

They allow the team to play bigger. Reminds me of how the Bruins used to play. Play big as a team and each player had a never back down attitude. Easy to do that when you have a Chara or a Zadorov who has your back. 

Guys like Garland Hogz are able to play bigger and we are more aggressive as a team. 

That should also be factored in when looking at his next contract. 

Once guys like DJ and Z leave, there's a risk that we become a perimeter team again. 

2 hours ago, Roberts said:

a roberts playoff gdt win 👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀

Double Bubble luck...you should keep it up, at least until Demko is back.   We sure could use four more wins in a row .. Something was looking after us in the 3rd, best period the Preds of had all series.   Karma balance from Game 2, we could use some of that good luck. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Im hesitant to adjust our lineup to play into their hands though. 

I think maybe the next best thing is we start running Josi. 

DJ put stasney out of the line up today. Maybe we warn them Josi is next. 

No problem putting Zadarov with QHs.   That line's effectiveness has took a hit (literally) last night, the only time we got to see QHs skate with the puck much was entering the zone on the power play.   After that it was dish dish dish dish, out of self preservation.   First Game he was like smoke, they tried, but werent makimg contact.   Last night they 100% made their adjustments and QHs is a labelled/targeted man.     Zadarov and Myers have been our best D's  5 x 5.    Heck maybe Hronek would benefit too.  

Don't often get involved with the coaching stuff as whom to put where, but dont think our team can afford to lose QHs.   Sure they can also do the video and make some adjustments, Brunette likely will just counter.   Thank freaking god, we finally have a big D again.   It was painfully obvious, with only Myers we were screwed.     Tochett will for sure use it.  As for Zadarov,  also think he's priority one.   His deal wont break the bank. 

• Desmenko 1

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

Duncan Keith disagrees...

No doubt.  Plus he was arguably our best defender in the bubble (5 x 5, and good on the PK too).    Said this since we signed him, Myers has the "IT" factor you want and need come post season, he elevates his game, and a big part of that is his physicality.    When he went down in the bubble things were very very rough.   Now we have 3 of these guys and Cole.   And Juulsen.   Keep pounding away.   Zadarov is part of the reason we were heading for a Presidents trophy, and part of the reason Allvin could be up for GM of the year too.   Timing was superb, the cost minimal compared to the return if he signs or goes somewhere else.   Sign him for sure.   Right age, and won't break the bank.   

Zadarov is a unicorn too.   You don't find those guys often anymore.    Soucy, Myers, Zadorov, Cole, Juulsen ... QHs Hronek.    They are properly insulated.    NSH has some size too.      Tochett will make some adjustments for Game 4.   NSH isn't going down easy,  expect things will boil over.    Zadarov or possibly Soucy or Myers is going to knock one of their guys out of their skates.    This team (ours) won't roll over to anyone in the league.    

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, IBatch said:

No doubt.  Plus he was arguably our best defender in the bubble (5 x 5, and good on the PK too).    Said this since we signed him, Myers has the "IT" factor you want and need come post season, he elevates his game, and a big part of that is his physicality.    When he went down in the bubble things were very very rough.   Now we have 3 of these guys and Cole.   And Juulsen.   Keep pounding away.   Zadarov is part of the reason we were heading for a Presidents trophy, and part of the reason Allvin could be up for GM of the year too.   Timing was superb, the cost minimal compared to the return if he signs or goes somewhere else.   Sign him for sure.   Right age, and won't break the bank.   

Zadarov is a unicorn too.   You don't find those guys often anymore.    Soucy, Myers, Zadorov, Cole, Juulsen ... QHs Hronek.    They are properly insulated.    NSH has some size too.      Tochett will make some adjustments for Game 4.   NSH isn't going down easy,  expect things will boil over.    Zadarov or possibly Soucy or Myers is going to knock one of their guys out of their skates.    This team (ours) won't roll over to anyone in the league.    

Very well said @IBatch... aand on point... we have a D we haven't seen since 2011 and maybe, just maybe even better...

Big Z is a Unicorn, and he wants to play in Vancouver. Its a match made in heaven. 
Myers have half this fan base in shock over, how well he has performed. 

The test knew it was there. Can't begin to say how good it is to see them take on the hottest team in the NHL and give themselves a platform to go on in these play offs. 
were we lucky? Maybe, but you earn your luck, just like Nashville did last game. 
We can go toe to toe with anyone...

I've been thinking the last few days, had Oilers hired JR and PA to run their club, would they have been the real favorites to win it all....? 

Guess thats for another day, but the management has done absolute wonders for this franchise... despite what a few "better" desk GMs think. 

9 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Not sure when was the last time we won a game with 12 shots, Saros with just 10 saves and still loses the game is wild.

Good to know we can win different gritty types of games. If we were playing a loose Oilers team I wonder what these shot and goal totals would be.

Aka DeSmith last game 

8 hours ago, Ilunga said:

I don't get to watch the games so I can only go on peoples comments on this board.

that's a surefire way to be wrong about most things. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, CanucksJay said:

Im just curious why he/she doesn't watch the games... 

not everybody can afford the streaming package, so there's no judgment there, but trying to form an opinion or analysis based on things you read here is like asking a person that's both drunk and illiterate to summarize a book for you. 

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

People with money go to the games, the young families, kids and working class go to the watch party at Rogers for a fraction of the cost. 

Kind of tongue n cheek but yeah.

Families with kids who don’t care about hockey, don’t go at all.  The point remains the same.

17 minutes ago, tas said:

that's a surefire way to be wrong about most things. 

There are certain people whose opinions on hockey I value and respect that used to be on the old forum and now on this forum.

I listen to them.

I know the difference between constructive criticism and hockey analysis, as opposed to opinions that are based on emotion or lack of knowledge of the game. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Im just curious why he/she doesn't watch the games... 

Hermaphrodite here.

You can tell me to go fuck myself and I can actually do it.

I live in Australia.

I don't have an internet connection apart from my phone and tablet.

I never use a credit card, ever.

Today I was informed of a way I might be able to watch the games.

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

There are certain people whose opinions on hockey I value and respect that used to be on the old forum and now on this forum.

I listen to them.

I know the difference between constructive criticism and hockey analysis, as opposed to opinions that are based on emotion or lack of knowledge of the game. 

But if you don't watch the games that's impossible to determine. as accurate. 

Someone emotional can still see the game and present it with accuracy. And some who criticize and analyze.....well, that's just their MO and doesn't necessarily reflect a more accurate view. They will always find something to criticize even when it's not really warranted.

For instance, some here have biases for/against players that slant their take. Like Miller for instance....despite him driving our play a good deal of the time he can have a pass that misses and that's it....bad game for him in some eyes. They watch for people to fail and ignore other blips. Like Myers and the refs who are infallible to them. So be careful of the wisdom they bestow upon you, it might sound very logical and knowledgeable but is painted with bias.

Some want picture perfect games which is a bit unrealistic.

The only way for you to know for sure is...to watch the game. If you buy in to the noise (on either side) you may not get the entire picture.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Also one final comment on guys like Z and DJ. 

They allow the team to play bigger. Reminds me of how the Bruins used to play. Play big as a team and each player had a never back down attitude. Easy to do that when you have a Chara or a Zadorov who has your back. 

Guys like Garland Hogz are able to play bigger and we are more aggressive as a team. 

That should also be factored in when looking at his next contract. 

Once guys like DJ and Z leave, there's a risk that we become a perimeter team again. 

This is bang on.

Except the last line because....can't we keep them? We must. Bye bye Hronek (even though I hate that too, just a little less).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The Duke said:

Jesus fuck let’s pay guys based on a 3 game sample size then.  Someone get Jeff Cowan an 8x8. Brilliant stuff.

He’s an 18 min a night d man over the course of his 10 year career.  You can’t give him 5+ it’s just ridiculous.

But the other part.....Cowan was average sized at 6'2" 203 lbs.

Zadorov? 6'6" and 248

Matters....different weight class. He's also fairly skilled.

Also.....what does the team look like without him? Much different. I do agree that they can't be stupid but they also have to really try to keep him here.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

6 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Lindholm has been great as well.

He had the most toi for Canucks forwards today 21:27

Only Myers had more toi 21:58 a few seconds more than Lindholm. 

Zad was close behind at 20:46

In all fairness, both Zad and Myers had a 2 minute rest in the box during the game 😉

12 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

But if you don't watch the games that's impossible to determine. as accurate. 

Someone emotional can still see the game and present it with accuracy. And some who criticize and analyze.....well, that's just their MO and doesn't necessarily reflect a more accurate view. They will always find something to criticize even when it's not really warranted.

For instance, some here have biases for/against players that slant their take. Like Miller for instance....despite him driving our play a good deal of the time he can have a pass that misses and that's it....bad game for him in some eyes. They watch for people to fail and ignore other blips. Like Myers and the refs who are infallible to them. So be careful of the wisdom they bestow upon you, it might sound very logical and knowledgeable but is painted with bias.

Some want picture perfect games which is a bit unrealistic.

The only way for you to know for sure is...to watch the game. If you buy in to the noise (on either side) you may not get the entire picture.

I have watched lots of Hockey over the years.

Before my relationship break up, I had the NHL package.

Like any sport this ain't rocket science. 

After many years on this and the old board I can tell who knows what they are talking about in regards to game, and who doesn't.

Who is biased, who is not.

While I am a Canucks fan, I am a fan of the game first and foremost.

I have a few friends here in Aus who are from BC, that married Aussie girls.

They still play.

I talk with them a lot about the game. 

Hockey, AFL, NRL are systems based sports that rely on the athletes " buying "into their coaches systems, playing their roles.

Of course you have players who have different strengths in different areas of the game.

Those that read the game well, " hockey IQ, those who rely on pure skill, those whose physical game is their strength, etc.

The basis of the sport of icehockey is a sport itself, ice skating. 

That's another topic I could wax lyrical on but I won't. 

Anyway people on this board have earned my trust and respect.

I don't give that lightly.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

People are forgetting Nashville is a really good team. They pushed hard in the third and we held with our backup. 
We didn’t get scored on early, we won the special teams battle which is a fantastic sign. Especially the PK. 
We are as good as anyone 5v5, we can survive a little sputter from PP as long as PK holds and since Lindholm came back it has mostly held. 
If we can survive until Demko is back and EP finds his A game we are as good as anybody including the Billion Dollar Nights (didn’t see Dallas falling apart like that even under the weight of all those contracts).

As for the future, let’s focus on the cup!  Not much for management to do at this time other than poke around college and Euro UFAsand put scouting lists together for draft. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

No problem putting Zadarov with QHs.   That line's effectiveness has took a hit (literally) last night, the only time we got to see QHs skate with the puck much was entering the zone on the power play.   After that it was dish dish dish dish, out of self preservation.   First Game he was like smoke, they tried, but werent makimg contact.   Last night they 100% made their adjustments and QHs is a labelled/targeted man.     Zadarov and Myers have been our best D's  5 x 5.    Heck maybe Hronek would benefit too.  

Don't often get involved with the coaching stuff as whom to put where, but dont think our team can afford to lose QHs.   Sure they can also do the video and make some adjustments, Brunette likely will just counter.   Thank freaking god, we finally have a big D again.   It was painfully obvious, with only Myers we were screwed.     Tochett will for sure use it.  As for Zadarov,  also think he's priority one.   His deal wont break the bank. 

That's not a bad idea, Zadorov and Hughes. The Preds were on Hughes the entire night. Quinn was logging huge minutes and the Preds seemed to be targeting

him by design. Quinn was still catching his breath on his post game interview.

1 minute ago, Rip The Mesh said:

That's not a bad idea, Zadorov and Hughes. The Preds were on Hughes the entire night. Quinn was logging huge minutes and the Preds seemed to be targeting

him by design. Quinn was still catching his breath on his post game interview.

They started taking big runs at him In the 3rd of game 2. They’re also trying to rough up Desmith. 

Last night watching Saros freak out with a little contact… I can guarantee you I’d be up in his grill. I hope the Canucks do that in game 4. If that rattles him and unweaves the team it could be worthwhile. 

• Upvote 1