[PGT] Vancouver at Nashville - Round 1 - Game 3

2 minutes ago, tas said:

hating to lose isn't a negative trait. 

That's not true at all.  Hating to lose can be very destructive........it all depends how it maifests.  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

That's not true at all.  Hating to lose can be very destructive........it all depends how it maifests.  

in an environment where winning is the bottom line, it's completely true. you think the avs are worried about nate mackinnon's "dark side"?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Accepting losses as well....

A guy who hates to lose is more likely not to be complacent.

• MillerTime 1

1 minute ago, -dlc- said:

A win in playoffs (on the road to boot) is NEVER pathetic. So you lost me there.

The win gives Van the home ice advantage back. JT and Petey had good nights in the circle but Lindholm struggled. Lindholm played a great d-side game. The whole team did. O-Reilly is the Preds o-zone driver and must have had nightmares last night as he had plenty of chances. Outside shots were a credit to the Canucks as chances in front were limited. O'Reilly was pitchforking DeCasey in one goal mouth sequence. If he had scored there would have been a challenge. 

Love Tocchet's coaching. Hughes was being hit early on and RT played him less and let his big boys step in. Zad and Meyers were very good. I am a little worried about Hronek's reads as he tried to clear the puck up the strong side a couple of times. Petey isn't shooting the puck. I don't see him shying away from physical play so probably a confidence issue more than a physical one. JT's no look pass to BB was one of the nicest plays of the season. 

The Preds had their chances. Game #4 will obviously be critical for them. While I can give them credit for their game last night, they could have easily won the game, I don't know how much they have left in the tank. On the other side the Canucks haven't scratched their capabilities in the ozone yet. Their 2 PP goals were a serious brake on Pred physical play. If Vancouver scores early in Game 4 they could end up popping a few.  

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, tas said:

in an environment where winning is the bottom line, it's completely true. you think the avs are worried about nate mackinnon's "dark side"?

No, it's not at all.  Many people who "hate to lose" are terrible teammates when things aren't going well.  They are people who are run by emotion and have a hard time controlling them.  So when things aren't going well, that person is often controlled by those negative emotions and they wear them on their sleeve.

We've seen what Miller is like when he and the team are down.  He pouts, he gives up, he makes terrible decisions, he gets in public confrontations with his teammates etc.

Again, when things are good, he's good, when things aren't, he isn't.  

Edited by stawns
  • Cheers 1

If the concern is playing in a defensive shell, I understand that part of it. I've always stated we need balance, and some of the best ways to defend is keep the puck on the other end of the ice. What I like seeing, and The Hockey Guy mentioned it. Vancouver is playing more like when they were on fire early in the season. We may not be scoring in bunches. But the team is winning games, that in other years wouldn't have happened. Yeah it's early. But you can see the benefits of playing a certain structure. What I enjoy is Tocc does make adjustments to help the guys out. A coach that is smart enough to get players to fine tune the game to suit the situation is a great coach. One of the problems I had with AV. He had a system, and yes it works. But he never changed that system. So he could get out-coached when other teams made adjustments.

I always wished he'd be more flexible, and adapt better.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, stawns said:

I still stand by my opinion on Miller.........which was that he is great when things are good and when things are bad that's when you'll see the dark side

Maybe, but that dark side can, in it's own way be useful if it wakes up the team when they're playing shitty. Yah, he's emotional but even when it's a wee

bit snarly, it can be the message his team needs to see. 

Anyways, time for another Canuck pump movie segment. 🙃

27 minutes ago, stawns said:

I still stand by my opinion on Miller.........which was that he is great when things are good and when things are bad that's when you'll see the dark side

Thats such horeshit. Ohh miller slammed his stick. 

Scared Cat GIF

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

If the concern is playing in a defensive shell, I understand that part of it. I've always stated we need balance, and some of the best ways to defend is keep the puck on the other end of the ice. What I like seeing, and The Hockey Guy mentioned it. Vancouver is playing more like when they were on fire early in the season. We may not be scoring in bunches. But the team is winning games, that in other years wouldn't have happened. Yeah it's early. But you can see the benefits of playing a certain structure. What I enjoy is Tocc does make adjustments to help the guys out. A coach that is smart enough to get players to fine tune the game to suit the situation is a great coach. One of the problems I had with AV. He had a system, and yes it works. But he never changed that system. So he could get out-coached when other teams made adjustments.

I had no issue with going into a defensive mode and it was quite effective until the last 6-8 mins of the game.  At that point is was just obvious that it had worn them out and they'd lost their legs.  That's what allowed Nashville to really pour it in and make it a close, stressful ending.

The Canucks just could not keep up with the Preds at the end and they were very very lucky to pull that one out.  Had it gone to OT, it would be 2-1 Preds right now, imo

2 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Maybe, but that dark side can, in it's own way be useful if it wakes up the team when they're playing shitty. Yah, he's emotional but even when it's a wee

bit snarly, it can be the message his team needs to see. 

Anyways, time for another Canuck pump movie segment. 🙃

That will to win can be constructive, absolutely, if that person is in control of their emotions.  I don't see that from JT, he is ruled by his emotions for better and for worse, imo

31 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

It's really great. I love how he up's the intensity in his game....we need THAT Myers.

I do think part of it is how playoffs are reffed, and a bit how guys just have more concentration in these games. 

The only player I have a bit of concern for is Hogs, he had that one great chance last night but he needs to figure out how to get more shots. 

7 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Lindholm has been great as well.

He had the most toi for Canucks forwards today 21:27

Only Myers had more toi 21:58 a few seconds more than Lindholm. 

Zad was close behind at 20:46

I didn't like Lindolm on the draws last night, but he's usually stellar. I did for sure notice his defensive play. Par for the course, he spends a lot of time going to the front of his own net to help block out players. He's a really good defensive center.

• Upvote 2

my thoughts on Petey's play:

He has been checked VERY tightly for the past few games. Last night was the first time in a while that he's started to have a little bit of room to operate. As our other players start to score, they'll shift their focus away from Petey and thus give him some time/room, then watch out for SUUUUUPPPPERRRR PETEY  to take over the game. 

8 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Yes we did.

I watched game 7 of 1994 SCF  like this at the PNE Coliseum.  It was packed. 

We were so deflated after the game and went home, most people went down town and had a riot. 

I appreciate your 'correction'; I am just probably a lot older than you and was thinking of earlier times.

It looks like a real good time to sit with the building full of fans (no Hab or Laff fans) and share the emotions etc.

As long as we win too, I guess, I have difficulty imagining how mad I would have been at the refs and the rat in the Boston Schmozzle if I was in that group dynamic.

Cheers @WHL!  FN Great to be in The Stanley Cup Playoffs (and winning).  

• Cheers 1

A lot of people are going on about only 12 shots, we were lucky to win….. The thing is, the shoe was on the other foot in game 2. We dominated and lost. So I figure it’s only right we return the favour. 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, stawns said:

Selective memory I guess

Nothing selective. I'd rather our guys emotional outbursts be of the passianate angry frustrated variety. Than slouched posture star gazing self pity woe type. 

13 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

It is interesting, I really like how Petey eg can contribute defensively like he did last night, and that's from the team structure. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, stawns said:

No, it's not at all.  Many people who "hate to lose" are terrible teammates when things aren't going well.  They are people who are run by emotion and have a hard time controlling them.  So when things aren't going well, that person is often controlled by those negative emotions and they wear them on their sleeve.

We've seen what Miller is like when he and the team are down.  He pouts, he gives up, he makes terrible decisions, he gets in public confrontations with his teammates etc.

Again, when things are good, he's good, when things aren't, he isn't.  

I viewed his prior actions as exasperation. have you ever been part of a group project where you feel like you're the only one, or one of the few who are pulling the rope?