Arshdeep Bains | #80 | LW

16 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

Seriously we have to get a sample of Bains in the NHL before the DL. We really need a gritty playmaker and we might already have one. I don't want to spend too many more assets in the playoff arms race. 

Probably would have earned a callup but we've enjoyed good health amongst the forward group.  Good to have the ahl depth we enjoy where we are playing prospects in key roles where as some teams are plugging in ahl veterans.

29 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

Probably would have earned a callup but we've enjoyed good health amongst the forward group.  Good to have the ahl depth we enjoy where we are playing prospects in key roles where as some teams are plugging in ahl veterans.

outside of Miller and Pete our fwd group is desperately lacking a playmaker. We have a glut of guys who can score in the bottom 6. Hogs, Suter, Joshua, Lafferty Bains would look great with those guys logging those mins. 

Edited by Hammertime
  • Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

outside of Miller and Pete our fwd group is desperately lacking a playmaker. We have a glut of guys who can score in the bottom 6. Hogs, Suter, Joshua, Lafferty Bains would look great with those guys logging those mins. 

Interesting thought, Garland I kind of look at as a play driver on line 3 and hoglander on line 4 although hoglander is more of a goal scorer.  Hopefully when Bains gets an opportunity his style of play will translate to bottom 6 as the coach's usually want some low event hockey.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

Interesting thought, Garland I kind of look at as a play driver on line 3 and hoglander on line 4 although hoglander is more of a goal scorer.  Hopefully when Bains gets an opportunity his style of play will translate to bottom 6 as the coach's usually want some low event hockey.

With our top 3 lines being threats Miller Brock, Pete Lindy, Garland Dakota, Hoglander Suter Bains could feast on weak matchups. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Hammertime said:

Seriously we have to get a sample of Bains in the NHL before the DL. We really need a gritty playmaker and we might already have one. I don't want to spend too many more assets in the playoff arms race. 

Bains has a good enough two-way game to be an effective bottom 6 guy

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

Him and Podz need to be give some games in top 9 roles to at least see what we have. They both offer exactly what we need….we just don’t know if they are ready for the step now. Only one way to find out!

Edited by BC_Hawk

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Realistically our top 3 lines will handle all the tough matchups. I'd love the 4th to keep our foot on the gas. Looking at our competitions bottom 6's Bains Suter Hogs could expose them. 

I haven't seen Bains alot, but he seems to have a really high Hockey IQ.  I think he will be the kind of guy who will be a bottom 6, because he can do everything, but will be a regular fill-in in the top 6.

2 hours ago, BC_Hawk said:

Him and Podz need to be give some games in top 9 roles to at least see what we have. They both offer exactly what we need….we just don’t know if they are ready for the step now. Only one way to find out!

Yeah, there are a handful of Abbotsford players that are looking like they may be able to step into a spot on the big club. Especially to fill some holes next year.

Bains, Podz and Sasson look like the most ready of the Abbotsford forwards with Raty not too far behind. Could bring them up one at a time. Would have to send Linus Karlsson down to make room on the roster. Linus is the only player able to go down without having to go through waivers.

I would also be good with leaving all the skaters in Abbotsford for the entirety of this season, including the AHL playoffs. Best to start them out fresh with a training camp in the new season.

But more interesting for me than bringing these forwards up, would be to bring up Silovs. Management needs to see if he is ready to play against NHL competition. If he isn't, then that may further complicate our cap and our Free Agency requirements this summer.

I made this post in Podz thread a few weeks ago. Still stands for Bainsy and Podz

think he is deserved of a call up at some point as well to see if what he is doing this season will translate to the NHL and give him and the coaches a sense of where he stands. The way he is driving to the net so far is nothing short of eye-popping.

There are 3 Vancouver home games in particular where he can be brought up that won't affect the schedule of the Abby Canucks if in fact they want him to stay there. There are no games during the weekdays for Abby and the Vancouver has home games on:

Feb 15 vs. The Red Wings

Mar 19 vs. The Sabres

Mar 21 vs. The Habs

These games could also be an opportunity to look at other players like Bains, but Pods would be at the top of my list to get a call up.

• 2 weeks later...

“We might give Bains a chance to come up,” Rick Tocchet said unprompted this morning after the pre-game skate.

“Whether he plays or not, I think he deserves a look.” 

The BC native has 39 points in 42 AHL games so far this year, 12 more than any of his teammates. He was recently named an AHL All-Star and took home the MVP trophy for good measure. 

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/deserves-look-tocchet-bains-canucks-soon

Looking forward to seeing what he can do! I think he could be a good fit for our third line next season (hopefully)

Edited by AAA
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, AAA said:

“We might give Bains a chance to come up,” Rick Tocchet said unprompted this morning after the pre-game skate.

“Whether he plays or not, I think he deserves a look.” 

The BC native has 39 points in 42 AHL games so far this year, 12 more than any of his teammates. He was recently named an AHL All-Star and took home the MVP trophy for good measure. 

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/deserves-look-tocchet-bains-canucks-soon

Looking forward to seeing what he can do! I think he could be a good fit for our third line next season (hopefully)

Our third line is a high performance engine. Don’t know if an un-tried rookie makes that leap (as much as I have hopes of ABains playing a future support role).

This call up is going to do wonders for Bains confidence and calm him down at the big stage. He might not do much this call up next to NHL pro’s but I think this experience will guarantee him for a spot this coming fall when we lose a few players to free agency

• Like 1

On 2/6/2024 at 4:07 PM, Alflives said:

Did Benning even find one free agent of this level? Gillis got Tanev. New management found Bains. Benning 🤣

Not with this offensive potential! I mean Bains still has a long way to go! Bennings top young undrafted FA that he lured in would probably be Chatfield and MacEwan.