[Second Round] Vancouver Canucks (P1) vs. Edmonton Oilers (P2)

Who will win the series?  

332 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the series?

• Canucks in 7
    • Canucks in 6
    • Canucks in 5
    • Canucks in 4
    • Oilers in 4
    • Oilers in 5
    • Oilers in 6
    • Oilers in 7

6 minutes ago, Reg said:

IMO this is how to play the Oilers. First, don't take penalties to negate their power-play advantage.

McDick needs to feel the pain of playoff hockey. Skating is his forte, enough said.

The other guys strength is passing and shooting, he can't contribute without his arms.

Skinner has yet to experience much traffic in his crease, now's his time.

You're welcome.

Easier than that even; don’t take penalties, shutdown McDaivd, and get Nurse & Kane running around trying to be tough guys. That’s how we’ve beat them before, and how the LVGKs always do it.

Drai is not a good 5v5 player; he needs McDaivid to drive the play or suck up the matchups. Nux are a deep team that have multiple lines that can shadow well ( Lindholm is key here).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Easier than that even; don’t take penalties, shutdown McDaivd, and get Nurse & Kane running around trying to be tough guys. That’s how we’ve beat them before, and how the LVGKs always do it.

Drai is not a good 5v5 player; he needs McDaivid to drive the play or suck up the matchups. Nux are a deep team that have multiple lines that can shadow well ( Lindholm is key here).

unfortunately the ref's will loom larger in this one (even with that last minute crap last night). McDinky plays the ref's all game, all night. They eventually concede to his pouting. 

Our job is to not get rattled when it happens, because its going to happen at least once per game to us. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, -dlc- said:

Sometimes I forget I have 7 flags on my car and someone will honk at me and I'm like "WHAT'S YOUR PROBLEM AHOLE" then...."oh" honkhonkhonk back.

I'm giddy. I love this team and this year they're showing us what they're all about. Skill, determination, resilience and even....fun. JT keeping things light was brilliant.

And what an incredible game for Silovs....he's well on his way. Ian Clark is a genius.

I wish I could have been at Rogers.  The atmosphere looked amazing. I was driving down a Kamloops main street after the game and on one corner there were about a dozen kids, aged probably 6 to 12, with handmade Canucks signs going crazy.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

unfortunately the ref's will loom larger in this one (even with that last minute crap last night). McDinky plays the ref's all game, all night. They eventually concede to his pouting. 

Our job is to not get rattled when it happens, because its going to happen at least once per game to us. 

Yep....they do buckle and give in to him because he can be so annoyingly persistent.

Like a kid who won't give up. "Can I have a cookie?" "no" 'can I have a cookie?" "no" 'can I have a cookie?" "no" 'can I have a cookie?" "no" 'can I have a cookie?" "no" 

"OK but just one! Now go play"

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Garland ad Hogs know how to get under guys skin, hopefully that gets Kane doing Kane things. 

Nurse is just a dumb dumb. 

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, -dlc- said:

It's sports, it's rivalries. It's intense. You may do it differently but there's nothing wrong with trash talking and that ramps up in playoffs. It's part of it and isn't really toxic. 

I mean....first it was Miller who was toxic. Now it's the fans.

Maybe some just don't understand sports and the passion that's involved.

It seems like you don't get it.  It's still bloody toxic.  You don't think things get toxic between Bruins and Habs fans during a playoff series?  I watch a lot of soccer.  Nobody in that sport is going to deny how fucking crazy things get during a derby match.  It's part of the sport AND it's toxic as fuck.

Don't try to gatekeep that kind of behaviour behind the guise of "only real fans would understand".

1 minute ago, -dlc- said:

Yep....they do buckle and give in to him because he can be so annoyingly persistent.

Like a kid who won't give up. "Can I have a cookie?" "no" 'can I have a cookie?" "no" 'can I have a cookie?" "no" 'can I have a cookie?" "no" 'can I have a cookie?" "no" 

"OK but just one! Now go play"

its true. Was watching a game earlier this season, and the EDM announcers actually talked about how the ref's should listen more to mcdavid. I shit you not, that was actually discussed by the Edmonton broadcast that night.

Just now, Miss Korea said:

It seems like you don't get it.  It's still bloody toxic.  You don't think things get toxic between Bruins and Habs fans during a playoff series?  I watch a lot of soccer.  Nobody in that sport is going to deny how fucking crazy things get during a derby match.  It's part of the sport AND it's toxic as fuck.

Don't try to gatekeep that kind of behaviour behind the guise of "only real fans would understand".

who cares. I mean really, so sports talk gets "toxic". With that a $3 you can ride the bus. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Miss Korea said:

Hello! McFly! 
We are on a Canuck’s message board. Why would any Soiler fans be here to read our posts? Why would we be on their board? 
They stink. Their city stinks. Maybe not so bad as Cowgary, but it stinks! 

Just now, Alflives said:

Hello! McFly! 
We are on a Canuck’s message board. Why would any Soiler fans be here to read our posts? Why would we be on their board? 
They stink. Their city stinks. Maybe not so bad as Cowgary, but it stinks! 

if it doesn't veer into something like hate speech, racism, etc. its all fair game. Yes every fan base has these morons, but they don't represent the passionate folks or even the bandwagoners. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

if it doesn't veer into something like hate speech, racism, etc. its all fair game. Yes every fan base has these morons, but they don't represent the passionate folks or even the bandwagoners. 

Yup. If there are Coiler fans visiting our board they should go and flush themselves. Smelly buggers. 

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

One thing that needs to be pointed out is that the LAK offence isn't much of a threat.  Boeser would almost be the Kings top scorer in the regular season.  No player was a PPG for LA.

Yes the Canucks had trouble with them, but EDM is a perfect matchup against LA due to McDavid's speed.

Will be really interesting to see how the Canucks handle the Oilers offensive punch.

Bieksa had a great analysis during one of the Oilers-Kings intermissions.

Oilers beat the 1-3-1 defence by using what KB called "trailing pairs".   e.g. McD would come flying down the wing with Hyman just a couple of strides behind. McD usually blew past the checking forward, but usually got stopped by the ensuing D-man.  When checked, he simple deadened the puck which was picked up by his trailing partner, who had 4 options (same 4 as was the case if the checking forward managed to stop McD) .... shoot at the net... carry to the net to create mayhem..... pass laterally to the F3 adjacent to him coming thru center ice ... pass to either of his trailing D.

The key was speed, and in several cases when McD blew past the defending point forward, the latter checked the trailing Hyman, drawing a penalty.

Repeat with the Draisaitl-Kane combo, and the Kings were having conniptions

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup. If there are Coiler fans visiting our board they should go and flush themselves. Smelly buggers. 

I mean it makes sense for Albertans to want to visit BC, even electronically. 

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

8 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Oilers beat the 1-3-1 defence by using what KB called "trailing pairs".   e.g. McD would come flying down the wing with Hyman just a couple of strides behind. McD usually blew past the checking forward, but usually got stopped by the ensuing D-man.  When checked, he simple deadened the puck which was picked up by his trailing partner, who had 4 options (same 4 as was the case if the checking forward managed to stop McD) .... shoot at the net... carry to the net to create mayhem..... pass laterally to the F3 adjacent to him coming thru center ice ... pass to either of his trailing D.

The key was speed, and in several cases when McD blew past the defending point forward, the latter checked the trailing Hyman, drawing a penalty.

In other words don't chase mcdavid.  Have faith our defencemen can handle him, centreman take the trailing forward, and wingers take away the passing options.  Will always leave the Oilers D options relatively open, but I'll take that over chances in close.

8 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Considering they didn't beat us all year.  Need Pettersson to be Pettersson though. I'm beginning to think that he's been kidnapped and replaced by a Pod Person.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

OMG! This is absolute shit; Could they not have shared at least? In the process of whiting a tweet. The more that do, the better. Damn this pisses me off.

Injury????

😉

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

OMG! This is absolute shit; Could they not have shared at least? In the process of whiting a tweet. The more that do, the better. Damn this pisses me off.

Horse. shit.

Oh, and btw Oilers...you're up...next in our crosshairs. 

We are the team of destiny.

You're.... just another vicitm.

Go Nucks.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

No point in crying over spilled man-milk, since he jizzes in his pants every time McDavid touches the puck.

Just put on the radio feed and mute the tv. Besides, he’s bad luck for them these playoffs.

I hope Ian Clark is pulling off some Mr. Miyagi training with Silovs in the next couple days.  Wax on wax off on that top corner miserable Drai likes to target off the goal line with that one timer on the power play.  Thats half of their arsenal right there.

• ThereItIs 1

39 minutes ago, Googlie said:

I think this is called the flying V

Z will take a page out of Icelands book and be the wrecking ball that takes them all out!!

Seriously though, the canucks lack of speed is what made LA successful against the Canucks and why the Oilers were successful

The Canucks defensive zone coverage is what made the Canucks successful against the Oilers offence where speed isnt as much of a factor

also to note, the oilers lack of forwards who play good D is what allows the Canucks offence to shine. Canucks offence can be run from the Blueline as well as deep in the zone

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Vomit Barf GIF

• Cheers 1