To Those Disappointed about Today's TDL

In my view management got their business done a while ago.   If we'd gotten Zado/Lindholm at the TDL I'd have been extatic,  that's the way I look at it.  

As for any extra assets,  whether management acknowledges it or not one of two explanations makes most sense,  1.  Market was just too expensive,  2.  Management doesn't believe it's time to go 'all in' just yet - doesn't mean that time won't come in the future though.   I suppose a 3rd scenario is they believe this team can win as is, but I'm not so sure,  I see weaknesses,  but you never know?  

I would rather not sell.the farm on rentals and hedge everything on a one and done season

Sure some of the trades players would have added to the team ... But would it have been as much of an add as what it would cost us ? Doubtful

Going forward a season or 2 we will absolutely need a few contributing players on entry level contracts in order to keep the rest of our core players under the cap 

Id suspect the players other teams wanted where those very players we will need.

I was more concerned if we sold the farm for one more piece.this year .... 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • MillerTime 1
  • Wiener 1

I am not upset not if it was going to cost Lekkerimäki and Hoglander or Wallinder. We wouldn’t have had any prospects left which would have made them be right back at the beginning when Benning left in terms of leaving our cupboards bare. No way. Not worth it.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Heretic said:

Why would any Canucks fan be disappointed?

Other teams were scrambling to try and do something to be as good as us - it was refreshing to be honest.

Well, you should see the TDL thread - the amount of nonsense is staggering.

• Vintage 1

Seeing teams like Vegas and Colorado overload on talent is always going to be a frightening sight.  It adds to the anxiety when you consider they are the cup champions of the last two years.  I have faith in this team, but nobody can deny that the moves in the Pacific are... intimidating for sure.

• Like 1

My thoughts exactly. I would've liked to see one or two depth pieces if we were able to make the money work, but we did all of our heavy lifting before the deadline. Also really glad to see Allvin didn't budge on his refusal to give up any of our top prospects who we'll need to be contributers while on their ELC's. We're just not ready yet to really load the boat for one year.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Trade deadline is like buying something because it “on sale”

sure there are upgrades that could happen but they likely weren’t there

Although, I would have really liked Middlstadt over lindholm

1 minute ago, Johnny said:

Trade deadline is like buying something because it “on sale”

sure there are upgrades that could happen but they likely weren’t there

Although, I would have really liked Middlstadt over lindholm

No you wouldn't have. Mittlestadt doesn't come close to Lindholm's level of two-way play. 

• Like 2

I’m not disappointed about the inaction today. If the right deal’s not there, no point in hurting our future.

What I am disappointed about is the Steve Moore 20 year anniversary thread being locked. Whether we like it or not, that was a pivotal moment in this franchise’s history. Just because it was written in a lens that a mod disagreed with shouldn’t mean locking it up for further discussion. That’ll discourage any independent thread making fast.

I am not disappointed at all.  I am glad the management felt that we are good this year and chemistry we have with the team which is far better than other team.  Even if we have had a slump, we are still far ahead of everyone else and we do have other gear if we needed it whether it be scoring or shut down protecting our lead.  The other team's add has only 18-19 games to sort out their chemistry and that is not enough time and we have had Lindholm for a month and we struggled to find form and we just hit a right form with Lindholm around and finding chemistry with us.   Other teams will find it difficult to get chemistry going with their newest additions.  Also not enough practice time down the stretch if they do have that many games to make up.    We have a head start on chemistry and rest down the road unlike other teams that has some East Coast or Midwest trip left in their schedule.   Whoever makes the WCF or SCF will find tough series but we don't worry about that until then.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Pears said:

No you wouldn't have. Mittlestadt doesn't come close to Lindholm's level of two-way play. 

Sure

but having a younger top 6 centre would have been fantastic for the future

Nothing really happened that I was like ooooooH. I don't think we have seen the best of Lindholm yet.

Our teams biggest problem so far this season is that Pete's a man on an island. 

Miller is really clicking with Brock and Garly is driving the best 3rd line in hockey. 

Pete's gotta click with someone he's got Lindholm, Hoglander, Mikheyev, Podkolzin, Lafferty, among them there has to be 2 players he can work with. 

• Like 2
  • ThereItIs 1

We made our deals already, and you can argue we made off better. Yes, I get Lindholm hasn't looked great, but he hasn't looked terrible. Zadorov if we traded for him at the deadline probably goes for more than what we paid. Laffy we got for a 5th rounder. Probably could have went for a 4th. Yes, it would have been great to get Toff. But we couldn't dump Mik. I think the inability to move Mik knocked us out of most of the sweepstakes.

But with his play last game. You could from a certain point of view look at a Mikheyev resurgence as a TDL acquisition. Yes, that's what the kids call cope. But Mik was positively visible last game. For the first time all year. If he can keep that going that's improvement from within. Podz has shown he can slot in no issues. I would have loved to add Toff. But hey, the team isn't desperate for talent and we also should be a bit more gun shy about moving Raty, Hogs and Podz. These guys will be key for us when OEL's buyout goes up. I don't mind doing nothing. Considering there was a time where the league had like 7 trades and we were in on 3 of them.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Dom said:

The only thing I wish we could have added is a RW for EP40. With that being said, I am going to write my thoughts here. This may be a little bit of a read, but hey that's what the forum is for. This took me A LOT of time to think about, and put on ' paper '. A huge difference from my normal ' bandwagon ' takes that most of you love 😜

I do think this team can go on a run, especially if a few things come to fruition.

1. Ilya Mikheyev. I have been a huge doubter of this man, I'll be the first to admit that. However, his last 2 games have been fantastic, and if he can find his scoring touch, the line of Mik-Miller-Boeser is going to be a nightmare for teams to deal with. Not only could they be an offensive threat, but also a defensive threat. Mikheyev has unreal defensive capabilities, along with Miller. 

2. Lindholm finds his offensive touch - with Joshua set to comeback within 2 weeks time, the line of Joshua-Lindholm-Garland could be unstoppable. Joshua & Garland have shown chemistry that is godlike, and if Lindholm can set them up, watch out!! This line can also be DOMINANT defensively!!! Lindholm a former selke nominee, and Joshua showing this year that he is a defensive beast as well! 

3. The powerplay. We have 21 days at home, with LOTS of time to practice. If this powerplay gets going, this team will be very very hard to beat, and they have shown that they already are, when they play their game.

4. Podkolzin. If Podkolzin can show more offensive touch as well, maybe he gets a look beside Hoglander & Petey. Which then in turn sends Suter to the 4th line... and god damn, the 4th line of Suter-Blueger-Lafferty seems like it would be a PAIN in the ASS to deal with for other 4th lines!

Yes, it is a bit of a stretch to say all of these things will happen, but hey even if 2/4 happen.... that's a hard team to go against. 

& just as an added bonus.. the defense that has 3 monsters standing 6'5 and weighing 210+ probably leaves the other team thinking twice in a 7 game series. 

Rant over. Enjoy! 

I honesty think that everything other than the PP is trending in that direction! I, same as you, wanted a RW to play with Petey. Thought Toffoli was the right guy, and a 2nd and 3rd with retention wasn’t exactly too rich IMO. Oh well. To add:

1)It’s not only the offense, but you can see Miks speed coming back. The guy should get a ton of credit for working his ass off every day even though his body wasn’t right and he had no luck. What mental fortitude to give 110% of what u have nightly. Hopefully the last couple of games are an indication of what’s to come.

2) Lindholm is already finding chemistry with Garland; Garland is taking on more of the scorer role….going in front of the net and such waiting to get setup vs setting someone else up. I think DJ will be plug and play there once he’s back. Great line in my opinion.

3)PP sucks….gotta get fixed or it’s time for a coaching change there.

4)What’s impressed me with Podz the most is how strong he is now; the guy never gets bullied off the puck nor dominated in the boards. Goals will come, but I think he is going to get more physical as the games go on. Podz scoring a few goals and laying a few crushing hits would be awesome; exactly what this team needed. I project him into the top 6 once DJ is back.

5) the D is built tough now. Loved seeing them absolutely bully the Kings. A nice change from that usually happening to us with no pushback.

• Cheers 2

I wanted something to happen, but I'm actually feeling good that they didn't make any big trades.  Allvin is really smart and doesn't let emotion into decisions. It's about what's best for the team. Like Kessel, it would've been cool to get him into the lineup and be a part of the room, but Phil is pretty old and slow and the Canucks are trying to be a fast team.

At the end of the day, the Canucks are (one of) the best in the league and still have their top prospects and young players, and they're going to the playoffs. Get your car flags ready for next month!

• Cheers 1

Sounds like most of us share the same sentiment. Our time will come when the time is right. maybe this year or perhaps not yet. Just the experience of playing games in the post-season will benefit this team. Win or not there should be little pressure on the Canucks as the pre-season expectations for our team were relatively low. Anything can happen in the playoffs and it will be fun to watch our team compete with the best. 

Also think some of the conversations around the trade deadline may be re-visited this summer. The potential our team remains very positive for a bright future. 

• Vintage 1