[Rumour] Canucks looking to move Beauvillier?

2 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I think the Isles would have Kuzy in mind, but their cap hit (and the Canuck's as well) is too tight.

Kuzy ($1m retained)   for  Whalstrom RW $.874x1/RFA + Romanov (LD) $2.5mx2/RFA +2nd

Islanders have a solid defensive team that will allow Kuzy to play his all out high scoring game.

Whalstrom hasn't found his offense yet, but being a power forward type there's a chance it will

come to him (Tocc would see to that).  He's physical force that, a the very least, could help out

the bottom 6. 

Ramonov is managing his 3rd pairing duties adequately.  Is a defensive dman. 

Not sure if adding the 2nd is pushing it, but the Isle are getting the best player (right now).

The Iles would have to dump another $1m in cap space to make this trade work.

Hogs   Pete  Mik                      

GDP   JT   Brock

Josh   Suter   Gar

Laff   Blue  Whalstrom

If we are moving Kuzmenko it better be for a RHD like Pesce.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Pearson has 6 points in 18 games and is a -3

Beau has 7 points in 19 games and is a +8

One was healthy and 26 years old and one was 31, had major health concerns, + a year off. 

I think we made the right choice. 

We're still moving Beauvillier, square peg round hole all that jazz.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Pearson has 6 points in 18 games and is a -3

Beau has 7 points in 19 games and is a +8

One was healthy and 26 years old and one was 31, had major health concerns, + a year off. 

I think we made the right choice. 

Are you really using +/- as part of your argument?  You understand that its primarily a team stat and meaningless without context right?  Vancouver is one of the highest scoring teams in the league.  Beauvillier would have to actively be trying to be negative. Lol 

Edited by qwijjibo

14 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Even if we did want him CBJ would have to retain on him for it to work with our cap situation. Not going to happen.

14 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I'll split the difference. Laine is pretty much halfway between stinks and Rantanen.

He's not terrible but he's also not worth the $8.7m a year he's getting until 2026. The idea of clearing that much cap and giving up assets to aquire him, that definitely does stink. Think about how much stick Boeser got last couple of years and he's paid $2m less and (imo) is better.

12 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I agree with much of what you are saying.  Laine is a terrific offensive player, who requires a

playmaker that is terrific as well.  Can you imagine the points he would put up if he had Pete

feeding him the puck?  He is a much more dynamic goalscorer than Kuzy, but would drive Tocc

crazy with his defensive lapses.  With the Canucks cap, the Jackets would have to retain $.

The Blue Jackets are in such a mess, I don't know what they'll do.  They have some good young

players and prospects, so they really should continue with their rebuild; but for the two ugly

contracts holding them back.

Send Kuzmenko & Garland back to make the money work.

Kuzmenko is as incomplete a player as Laine while not being nearly as good an offensive player. Put Laine with Petey & he could be absolutely dynamite. He could score 50 with how great a shooter he is, Kuzmenko isn't a shooter.

• Vintage 1

i thought the goal is to get rid of garland and beau.. why am i seeing so many proposal pop up everywhere to get rid of kuzmenko and then promote garland or hoglander to the top 6?? we are already struggling to get production outside of the top 2 lines and we want to get rid of production from the top 6 and add more non existent production from the bottom 6?

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

i thought the goal is to get rid of garland and beau.. why am i seeing so many proposal pop up everywhere to get rid of kuzmenko and then promote garland or hoglander to the top 6?? we are already struggling to get production outside of the top 2 lines and we want to get rid of production from the top 6 and add more non existent production from the bottom 6?

I agree.  Not sure why people want to screw up our top 6 by getting rid of Kuzmenko.  Garland isn't a top 6 player and neither is Hoglander.  Kuzmenko scored 39 goals last year.  How easy people forget that.  He just got his face smashed in.  Give the guy a few games to get back into it.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

Garland is likely staying at this point Myers and Beauvillier will be going. 

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I think the Isles would have Kuzy in mind, but their cap hit (and the Canuck's as well) is too tight.

Kuzy ($1m retained)   for  Whalstrom RW $.874x1/RFA + Romanov (LD) $2.5mx2/RFA +2nd

Islanders have a solid defensive team that will allow Kuzy to play his all out high scoring game.

Whalstrom hasn't found his offense yet, but being a power forward type there's a chance it will

come to him (Tocc would see to that).  He's physical force that, a the very least, could help out

the bottom 6. 

Ramonov is managing his 3rd pairing duties adequately.  Is a defensive dman. 

Not sure if adding the 2nd is pushing it, but the Isle are getting the best player (right now).

The Iles would have to dump another $1m in cap space to make this trade work.

Hogs   Pete  Mik                      

GDP   JT   Brock

Josh   Suter   Gar

Laff   Blue  Whalstrom

So we are getting rid of our top line player for a 3rd line player, who maybe will figure it out?

And instead put Hogs on the top line although he has struggled to stay in the line up?

I like Hogs, and he is a terrific guy, but I don't really fancy making a push for the play offs, by giving up on a player that was capable of scoring 39 goals last year, and replacing him with a project...

I would not be surprised, if either Boeser or Kuzmenko get the hook a some stage, but I would fully expect it to be a Dman that would be the target, should they decide to get Hogs on to the top line...  I think, it's more likely in that scenario, they put Beau on the top line again as he did produce there.

• Vintage 1

4 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Kuzmenko is as incomplete a player as Laine while not being nearly as good an offensive player. Put Laine with Petey & he could be absolutely dynamite. He could score 50 with how great a shooter he is, Kuzmenko isn't a shooter.

that would be a super dangerous move with our chemistry right now

• Like 1

4 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Garland is likely staying at this point Myers and Beauvillier will be going. 

well myers or beau doesn't even matter coz their contract is over regardless after this season. i'm looking at long term. if the goal is to replace garland with a defenceman.. i honestly think buy out is not off the table as much as i hate buyout. if garland isn't a fit and we need to replace with a defenceman buying him out + getting a 3mil ish defenceman will add up to whatever garland's buyout cost is in year 2 3 4. i guess it all depends on what JR/PA's plan is with the defence

4 hours ago, Barking Bertuzzi said:

This is fair, idk about super dangerous but it's worth considering.

That said they've been looking to move Garland for a long time, I think they would've moved Myers aswell at one point, so some of these moves are coming it's only a matter of time.

I know it's still early but you just wonder if Kuz is going to be a Tocchet guy/complete player long-term, so if we could capitalize on his value to upgrade our roster Id consider it. I think this conversation will be coming at some point tbh.

Remember Rutherford is the guy who traded James Neal for Hornqvist.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Barking Bertuzzi said:

While I wouldn't go as far to call it dangerous, disrupting chemistry is a bad idea. And disrupting chemistry to trade for a player who's been a healthy scratch on a basement dweller is even more suspect. 

• Cheers 1

I dunno, if they could get a legit top 4D for Kuzmenko I think it'd be worth at least considering 

Depends in who it was and their contract 

Boeser looks like the better player right now and we may have to pick between the two of them at some point anyway

Their contracts both expire the same year and it's easier to find top six wingers than top 4D, could be way have someone able to step in by then

I'm not proposing it, I'm just maybe more receptive depending in the return

Same goes for Boeser, if we want something good we may have to give up something good

Edited by Coconuts

11 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Wouldn't take Laine for free at this point let alone give up 2 very useful pieces for him. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

well myers or beau doesn't even matter coz their contract is over regardless after this season. i'm looking at long term. if the goal is to replace garland with a defenceman.. i honestly think buy out is not off the table as much as i hate buyout. if garland isn't a fit and we need to replace with a defenceman buying him out + getting a 3mil ish defenceman will add up to whatever garland's buyout cost is in year 2 3 4. i guess it all depends on what JR/PA's plan is with the defence

Garland doesn't need to be replaced though he is a very effective player at a reasonable cap hit... 

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I dunno, if they could get a legit top 4D for Kuzmenko I think it'd be worth at least considering 

Depends in who it was and their contract 

Boeser looks like the better player right now and we may have to pick between the two of them at some point anyway

Their contracts both expire the same year and it's easier to find top six wingers than top 4D, could be way have someone able to step in by then

I'm not proposing it, I'm just maybe more receptive depending in the return

Same goes for Boeser, if we want something good we may have to give up something good

Kuzmenko would be the odd man out in this scenario purely based on production. 

17 hours ago, qwijjibo said:

Are you really using +/- as part of your argument?  You understand that its primarily a team stat and meaningless without context right?  Vancouver is one of the highest scoring teams in the league.  Beauvillier would have to actively be trying to be negative. Lol 

Its more of a line statistic, and I dont believe Beau has played much 5 on 5 with Petey or Miller this season. I like the +/- statistic more than most because its a good indicator how your line is 5 on 5. 

18 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Kuzmenko would be the odd man out in this scenario purely based on production. 

If I were a betting man I'd also bet on Boeser being more willing to take a reasonable deal. He's looked much better this season, Kuzmenko will likely begin scoring more at some point but selling high on him to acquire a top 4D wouldn't necessarily be the worst move. Our offense would take a hit but I reckon we'd have an easier time finding a top six forward, of a stopgap for the rest of the season, than a top 4D.

If there's a deal out there from a team looking for offense I'd be listening. We'd need Garland, Hoglander, or someone to step up though, certainly. 

I dunno, I'm not looking at this current roster as a finished product. Again, I'm not saying trade Kuzmenko, but if we want to acquire a top 4D we'll likely need to find a way to move out cap and it's easier to swap a cap hit that actually has positive value.

• Vintage 1

43 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Garland doesn't need to be replaced though he is a very effective player at a reasonable cap hit... 

I like him. He works hard and he adds a sandpaper element that our team doesn't have too much of. Could he score more? Of course he could, but getting rid of him COULD make the team better, or it could make it worse. If the cap hit is not a concern at this time, there is no need to get rid of him, considering how good the team is doing.  He seems like a likable guy as well.

• Cheers 1

55 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

5mil is reasonable at his pace for 20points?? You can find players just as effective in his role for way cheaper if all you are looking for is 20 points..

he’s prolly the worse pt per salary player on the team if not the worse 

Edited by wai_lai416

15 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

If I were a betting man I'd also bet on Boeser being more willing to take a reasonable deal. He's looked much better this season, Kuzmenko will likely begin scoring more at some point but selling high on him to acquire a top 4D wouldn't necessarily be the worst move.

I always view Boes as part of the core of players in Vancouver. He's added multiple layers to his game this season and his shot looks pretty lethal once again. I, too, think Kuzmenko might be the player that could be the best trade chip, especially in returning a top 4D with some size. 

Our offense would take a hit but I reckon we'd have an easier time finding a top six forward, of a stopgap for the rest of the season, than a top 4D.

True. Shoring up the defense would help to balance out the scoring issue.

If there's a deal out there from a team looking for offense I'd be listening. We'd need Garland, Hoglander, or someone to step up though, certainly. 

I think Hoglander is prime for it. Garland has been a firecracker out there. 

I dunno, I'm not looking at this current roster as a finished product. Again, I'm not saying trade Kuzmenko, but if we want to acquire a top 4D we'll likely need to find a way to move out cap and it's easier to swap a cap hit that actually has positive value.

Agreed. You tend to make sense more often than not, Coconuts. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

5mil is reasonable at his pace for 20points?? You can find players just as effective in his role for way cheaper if all you are looking for is 20 points..

he’s prolly the worse pt per salary player on the team if not the worse 

He averages 45-50 points a year not sure where your pulling 20 points from. HE's also a league leader in drawn penalties which when you have a good power play is a great asset. He also scores the majority of his points 5 on 5 another bonus. There's more to look at than just point totals at the 1/4 mark of the season... 

On 11/20/2023 at 9:18 PM, Alflives said:

Pods has this full year to be waiver exempt. IMHAO new management will give guys until they are waiver eligible to get onto the big club. If that player has value n trade, but can’t crack our lineup they will be traded. If the guy is most likely to clear, and has some runway of development left, then we will keep him in Abby and try to get him ready for the nhl. 
Pods will either be with our big club next season or traded. 

Tocchet’s system pretty much requires a big guy who can skate and get control of the puck on the forecheck. 
Mikh plays that role, that is why PDG is going nowhere and why Joshua is on the third line not the fourth. He just needs that big disruptive puck control guy. 
By my count we are short one, Beau just doesn’t suit the role and Hogz really gives it a go but sometimes you just need mass.  
‘once healthy Blueger and Laff give more of that to the fourth. 
Podz is that guy potentially with more talent than any of them. Just needs time to grow. Unfortunate about the Judo throw he was playing great on the AHL. 

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Like 1