[Rumour] Canucks looking to move Beauvillier?

7 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

I don't see any point of moving Beauvillier if the plan is to not do anything with the cap space that's then available. In that scenario, I'd let him walk all the way to UFA to keep scoring depth at least. 

I tend to agree any Beau (or Garland) trade is likely some level of cap in-cap out... But Devils advocate, if we moved Beau out and cleared all his cap (unlikely), it would give us space to bank for the TDL and make bigger moves then. Also space to potentially sign Bear in a ~month.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I tend to agree any Beau (or Garland) trade is likely some level of cap in-cap out... But Devils advocate, if we moved Beau out and cleared all his cap (unlikely), it would give us space to bank for the TDL and make bigger moves then. Also space to potentially sign Bear in a ~month.

It might be cap in, cap out, but with some guys waiting in Abby, they can also look for a picks/prospect deal as well.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

brock boeser did not mostly played on the 3rd line.. his linemates with the most ice time spent together was Miller, Horvat, PDG, Pettersson, Mikheyev and pearson before they were injured.. his centerman at all time is Horvat, Miller, Pettersson.. i hardly call that he mostly played on the 3rd line and didn't get any pp1 time.. he have the same amount of pp1 time as kuzmenko and he started on the pp1.. he was struggling coz of other things.. it was definitely not he's struggling coz he never gotten the opportunity to shine.. he has the 4th highest ice time on forwards 4th in even strength 4th in PP.. if he's playing mostly 3rd line as you claimed.. how is he ahead of ice time on 2 other top 6 forward?

Yeah Boeser's issue was  more so that he bulked up too much after that back injury. He was never the fastest skater but this made it worse and harder for him to get to pucks or find open ice. 

Secondly, he was mentally not ready to go for all the reasons we are aware of. 

He took training very seriously this summer and looks leaner and faster and I think he's grieved the passing of Duke and ready to play hockey again. 

The fact hes part of our shutdown line and playing solid 2 way hockey is great for us

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, thesauce said:

Not sure why everyone was in a hurry to trade Garland over Beau. Garland has consistently been at the top of the league season after season in drawing penalties. For a team that is hot on special teams, he's a perfect fit.

When not scoring, what Garland lacks in size and truculence he makes up for in zone entries with his low center of gravity and elusiveness breaking in. 

Just cap reasons mostly.

45 minutes ago, stawns said:

It might be cap in, cap out, but with some guys waiting in Abby, they can also look for a picks/prospect deal as well.

Nevermind Abby, Blueger should be back soon. Certainly. I just doubt there's one out there given league wide cap restraints.

Edited by aGENT

11 hours ago, Snoop Hogg said:

I disagree. They were sent down to Abby and lit it up. They have earned it IMO. 

The season is barely a month old and they need to earn it and by that I mean at least half a season at this pace for a shot at that to translate to the NHL. Zero need to rush them to a giftwrapped spot at this point. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Tusk said:

No..... Put Beau on with JT and Brock. our little PDG has done nothing anyway and at least possible suiters will see Beau against the Matthews line, the top lines on any team.

If youre gonna sell a guy you dont display him washing dishes in the kitchen

PDG has fit in great with JT. 

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Seattle needs scoring...

To Seattle:

Anthony Beauvillier

To Vancouver:

Will Borgen

Seattle isn't trading Borgen but I would love that deal

7 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

I'm not sure teams that are looking for scoring help are going to be terribly interested in Beauvillier at the moment. Does he become a 50+ point guy on a 2nd line somewhere else?

He's a streaky but consistently 30-40 point guy scores in bunches and disappears the book is out on him. But you can reliably pencil him in for +/- 35pts a year. 

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

He's a streaky but consistently 30-40 point guy scores in bunches and disappears the book is out on him. But you can reliably pencil him in for +/- 35pts a year. 

He has averaged 38.5 pts/season in the 502 NHL games he has played, with about 14 mins/game average in ice time so far in his career, and 45 points/season for the Canucks. He also only turned 26 this summer and is in his prime. Not unreasonable to except him to put up 40-50 point/season in the right role.  

He was impressive in his last two playoff runs putting up 14 goals and 27 points in 41 games. 

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

I may have screwed up the calculations but if we somehow traded away Beau without taking any cap back we could take Poolman and Brisebois off LTIR and have just over $1m of cap space which would be the equivalent of around $3m at the deadline. Alternatively we hold on to him and send him the other way in a trade in February/March and (I think) have about $4.3m to spend.

All of which is a long way to say I don't think there's much advantage to clearing his cap now because of how much LTIR we're currently using. Keeping him or swapping for a similarly priced expiring contract makes more sense for now.

Though whether it's long covid, dementia, or just regular stupidity my noggin hurts when I try and parse cap related nonsense.

Edited by Biff Tannen
  • Cheers 2

Ideally, the changes I'd like to see us make, and it's not easy because no one is wanting to take salary back right now, so just hypothetical speculation:

Move 1:

Trade Beauvillier to any team short on forwards with up to 1 million retained for a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Lower pick if we could get a half decent prospect back as part of contract balancing

Move 2:

Blueger get's moved retroactively to LTIR (he's over 10 games, so that can be done) Assuming that he's back on the weekend, that will be out for 13 games, about 301k in additional LTIR space. I think he'll be back against Toronto.

Move 3:

Juulsen assigned to Abbotsford to free up 775k

Move 4:

Sign Bear (assuming he's healthy again) for 1 yr, 1.5 million contract pro rated for games missed. Assuming he's coming in around game 15, that would be about 1.275 million hit across the rest of the season.

Lineup:

DiG/Miller/Boeser

Mikheyev/Pettersson/Kuzmenko

Joshua/Suter/Garland

Blueger/Lafferty/Hoglander

Studnicka

First call up for Bottom 6: Bains

First call up for middle 6: Podkolzin (assuming he's ready to play again)

Defense:

Hughes / Hronek

Cole/Bear

Soucy/Myers

Friedman

Demko / DeSmith

So, if, (BIG IF), I'm doing my math right, that would give us another 301k of LTIR for the season and the other changes would lower our cap by about 2.425 million.

Recap of my math:

Bear +1.5

Beauvillier - 3.15 (after 1 million retained)

Juulsen to AHL - .775

Feel free to correct my numbers...

My personal opinion, that improves our bottom 6 significantly as Beauvillier is not really well suited to that position, I think he needs to play higher up in the lineup to be truly effective.

Bear is a upgrade on Friedman and is capable of playing 15 - 17 min per night as he was demonstrating last year. Friedman is great relief in case of injury, but I think his game gets stretched if he's above 12 - 13 min per night, sheltered minutes and opponents.

No major surgery to the team, just balancing and bringing in a RD who we know and showed last year that he can be effective for us in the last half of the season which led to his selection to Canada WC. He had 3 goals and 13 assists and was +6 last season in 61 games for us, essentially playing 2nd pair, averaging over 18 min per night.

Again, if my math is right, this would put us almost to zero cap space with only about 500k...ish used of our LTIR.

I don't think this team needs major surgery, just minor moves to increase our bottom 6 and defensive pairing competitiveness and I think these moves would accomplish this.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Ideally, the changes I'd like to see us make, and it's not easy because no one is wanting to take salary back right now, so just hypothetical speculation:

Move 1:

Trade Beauvillier to any team short on forwards with up to 1 million retained for a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Lower pick if we could get a half decent prospect back as part of contract balancing

Move 2:

Blueger get's moved retroactively to LTIR (he's over 10 games, so that can be done) Assuming that he's back on the weekend, that will be out for 13 games, about 301k in additional LTIR space. I think he'll be back against Toronto.

Move 3:

Juulsen assigned to Abbotsford to free up 775k

Move 4:

Sign Bear (assuming he's healthy again) for 1 yr, 1.5 million contract pro rated for games missed. Assuming he's coming in around game 15, that would be about 1.275 million hit across the rest of the season.

Lineup:

DiG/Miller/Boeser

Mikheyev/Pettersson/Kuzmenko

Joshua/Suter/Garland

Blueger/Lafferty/Hoglander

Studnicka

First call up for Bottom 6: Bains

First call up for middle 6: Podkolzin (assuming he's ready to play again)

Defense:

Hughes / Hronek

Cole/Bear

Soucy/Myers

Friedman

Demko / DeSmith

So, if, (BIG IF), I'm doing my math right, that would give us another 301k of LTIR for the season and the other changes would lower our cap by about 2.425 million.

Recap of my math:

Bear +1.5

Beauvillier - 3.15 (after 1 million retained)

Juulsen to AHL - .775

Feel free to correct my numbers...

My personal opinion, that improves our bottom 6 significantly as Beauvillier is not really well suited to that position, I think he needs to play higher up in the lineup to be truly effective.

Bear is a upgrade on Friedman and is capable of playing 15 - 17 min per night as he was demonstrating last year. Friedman is great relief in case of injury, but I think his game gets stretched if he's above 12 - 13 min per night, sheltered minutes and opponents.

No major surgery to the team, just balancing and bringing in a RD who we know and showed last year that he can be effective for us in the last half of the season which led to his selection to Canada WC. He had 3 goals and 13 assists and was +6 last season in 61 games for us, essentially playing 2nd pair, averaging over 18 min per night.

Again, if my math is right, this would put us almost to zero cap space with only about 500k...ish used of our LTIR.

I don't think this team needs major surgery, just minor moves to increase our bottom 6 and defensive pairing competitiveness and I think these moves would accomplish this.

the market for beauvillier might improve as the season goes on if he can pick up his game + other forwards get injured

thats my hope anyway